Menu

Homeschooling story on NPR today

Thanks! I usually turn off the radio right about when Diane comes on (nothing against her, personally; her discussions make it difficult for me to focus on other things. Like school. ;) ), but I didn't even turn it on this morning, so I'll have to make it a point do that!

eta: It's her 11-12 segment. She is very good about running on time, too.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I missed the first 20 minutes, but the 40 I caught were equally as positive and personal (eg, this is HER family's experience, not a prescription for all).

And, yeah, I love the PS teacher's complaints - Hmmm... getting up at a specific time for work (leveled at two people who set their own hours), an expectation of one-on-one teaching (and...?) - and her obtuse refusal to grasp the "foreign student" analogy. :lol:

And, yeah, I love the PS teacher's complaints - Hmmm... getting up at a specific time for work (leveled at two people who set their own hours), an expectation of one-on-one teaching (and...?) - and her obtuse refusal to grasp the "foreign student" analogy. :lol:

That irritated me unaccountably much. I was like, "Come on! You are supposed to be a public school teacher and you are advocating why it is better, in your opinion. Show some intelligence."

I missed the first 20 minutes, but the 40 I caught were equally as positive and personal (eg, this is HER family's experience, not a prescription for all).

:iagree: I forgot to tune in until 15 minutes had gone by. It sounded like an interesting interview -- an intelligent author, a good interviewer. I'd like to read the book.

Again, :iagree: Bless her heart, she became an example of why people need to learn to actually think for themselves rather than simply learn facts and ideas by rote.

Again, :iagree: Bless her heart, she became an example of why people need to learn to actually think for themselves rather than simply learn facts and ideas by rote.

I know! It was as if she pre-planned an outline of talking points before the show and, since she really hadn't listened to the actual content, just kept going over her "rebuttal" that didn't actually rebut anything.

Bizarre and took time from someone who may have wanted to chime in on the actual discussion at hand (in agreement or disagreement), instead of the assumed one.

Quinn Cummings is the guest.

I'll link here to the previous WTM discussion re: her Newsweek mag book review:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=412567

Author of a new hs book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Year-Learn...quinn+cummings

and a blog, in which she is answering readers' questions this week:

http://qcreport.blogspot.com/

Opening chapter of her book describes her panic attack over trying to teach her dd long division. Daughter is now 12, they've been hsing for 3 years.

Has anyone read the book?
I pre-ordered it from Amazon and just received it Monday or Tuesday.

I am about halfway through now.

It is a very fun read. Nothing deep and enlightening, but very enjoyable.

I have actually wanted to post a small review of the book, along with some of the wittier quotes. I am sure I am driving my DH nuts because I keep saying, "Hey, listen to this..."

-----

"I was shocked, however, to discover that homeschooling is not allowed in the Netherlands. I could only imagine that after legalizing pot, prostitution and gambling, they had to outlaw something."

"The lady at the dry cleaners who just a moment earlier was reenacting a recent episode of 'The Biggest Loser' in great detail suddenly becomes a doctoral candidate in child development. 'But what about the socialization?' she will inevitably ask. This issue seems to conjure Dickensian images..."

(This one is classic at our house...)

"She (her daughter) put the pencil point-side down on the table and tried to make it stand up on its own. She wove the pencil through her ponytail. She tapped it like a drumstick. I encouraged her to use the pencil in the more traditional way. She excused herself for a bathroom break and didn't come back. Ten minutes later, I found her in her bedroom with a cat on her lap, reading."

I had to chuckle about "learning to get up for work". When I graduated from college and went to work in the "real" world, I worked a rotating shift. I slept and got up at a different time each week.

I had an interesting follow up session with my girls where we discussed how people are not all on the same schedule but adults learn to fulfill their obligations. Nurses work all types of crazy schedules. Truck drivers plan their routes based on traffic.

The teacher seemed very attached to the group learning idea of other students presenting good questions. I just do not remember getting that much interaction in the classroom as a kid. Maybe things have changed?

This makes me think of the Laura Brodie book from a year or two ago... I liked it, but I have mixed feelings about people who homeschool for a year becoming the big spokespeople for homeschooling. Is that the case here - I couldn't tell from the Amazon description.

This makes me think of the Laura Brodie book from a year or two ago... I liked it, but I have mixed feelings about people who homeschool for a year becoming the big spokespeople for homeschooling. Is that the case here - I couldn't tell from the Amazon description.
That is a lot of the reason I said it has been a 'fun' read. It is very light, fast reading.

I don't know about the spokesperson for homeschooling thing. There are so many faces of homeschooling, that I hate to think that any one group or type of homeschooler should be a spokesperson. Guess that is why we are an independent lot. ;)

I really liked the Laura Brodie book and have reread it a few times. However, I also think of it as being part of the broader genre of 'do something slightly offbeat for a year, write a book about it, and hopefully get reviewed in the Style section of the NYT.' E.g., The Happiness Project (which I also liked a lot, incidentally), The Year of Living Biblically, A Year without "Made in China," "My Year without Shopping," "No Impact Man, " etc. etc. etc.

No, this will be her 4th year homeschooling. The book, however, is about the first year.

That is a lot of the reason I said it has been a 'fun' read. It is very light, fast reading.

I don't know about the spokesperson for homeschooling thing. There are so many faces of homeschooling, that I hate to think that any one group or type of homeschooler should be a spokesperson. Guess that is why we are an independent lot. ;)

I think her discussion was meant as an author discussion of interesting topic, not as an expert. And that is very much how she presented herself, much in the same way A.J. Jacobs was interviewed when "The Year of Living Biblically" came out. He is not an OT scholar, or a spokesman for observant Jews, and his interviews were very in line with the book.

Though, really, I was thinking "if we have to have someone held up as The Homeschooler, let it be her," while she was on.

I think her discussion was meant as an author discussion of interesting topic, not as an expert. And that is very much how she presented herself, much in the same way A.J. Jacobs was interviewed when "The Year of Living Biblically" came out. He is not an OT scholar, or a spokesman for observant Jews, and his interviews were very in line with the book.

Though, really, I was thinking "if we have to have someone held up as The Homeschooler, let it be her," while she was on.

Yes. Her discussion was about her book, which is really only about HER experience, not homeschooling in general. I agree she came across as a good representative and spokesperson for some of the incredibly diverse reasons that people choose to homeschool. I also like how she defended public school teachers and did not make it an us vs. them thing like the one ps teacher who called in wanted to do.

Abbie wrote:

I'm very disappointed to be the first person to comment who has actually been home schooled. Especially since some of the homeschooling parents above have displayed so much conviction.

All six of the kids in my family were home schooled until I was in 6th grade for religious reasons, and when I entered public school due to our family being in poverty, I was several grade school years ahead of my peers in most subjects, but I had no social skills, so I immediately became an outcast because I was so utterly strange to everyone, and it stuck with me EVER SINCE. On top of that, I didn't have physical education at home, so even as a seemingly healthy girl, I couldn't even keep up with the obese students in P.E., and that was extremely humiliating.

Possibly the most stressful moments in all of my post-home school, public education was being put into groups that weren't preassigned. Those were the moments that I spent feeling so alone, unwanted and invisible I'm certain that it's a major contributing factor to my severe social anxiety. I still struggle to maintain what few human relationships I have, and I know that if I didn't feel so alien to my own species I would have networked enough to have a good job, a better place to live, I would have friends who I can relate to, and I wouldn't have gotten involved in the drug scene and dropped out of high school.

Obviously, there are other contributing factors to my current situation, but I want to say:

Homeschooling AFTER 6th grade may have been more beneficial than not homeschooling at all, because these days kids seem to respect only the most depraved, cruel kids in the room and that's a terrible example.

BUT I desperately needed an initial social environment and without it, I became a fraction of the person my parents worked so hard to create, depressed and in poverty.

Has anyone else here actually been home schooled themselves???

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2012-08-09/quinn-cummings-year-learning-dangerously

But another listener wrote this

Aubergine77 wrote:

As a product of a homeschooling family, I thoroughly enjoyed this morning's interview which I thought was extremely fair and validated both the parent who decides to homeschool and the one who decides that utilization of the public school system is a better for the student. My own mother was a public school teacher that decided to homeschool back in the seventies- long before such a thing was either "legal" or in vogue. She did not have the resources which are available to homeschooling parents today but she spent hours preparing and culling out everything she could find to teach us in the most comprehensive way she could. Everyone (especially our grandparents) worried over our socialization and exposure to the "outside" world. I am happy to say that my brother and I were not deterred, harmed, or scarred in any way. My parents made sure we had plenty of opportunities to onteract with other peers and adults such as Scouts, 4-H, dance, music, youth group, etc. We were both easily admitted to public colleges where I received my Masters in Physical Therapy and my brother completed medical school to became a cardiac anesthesiologist. Yes, we turned out to be normal, successful, functioning members of society! I am now 42 years old and have made the decision to homeschool my own children. Even though I understand the burdens and challenges faced by the homeschool parent perhaps better than most after watching my own parents' journey, I know that I know my kids better than anyone and the education I am providing will have great rewards. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, but I am proof that it can be successful.

August 9, 2012 - 4:09 pm

I really liked the Laura Brodie book and have reread it a few times. However, I also think of it as being part of the broader genre of 'do something slightly offbeat for a year, write a book about it, and hopefully get reviewed in the Style section of the NYT.' E.g., The Happiness Project (which I also liked a lot, incidentally), The Year of Living Biblically, A Year without "Made in China," "My Year without Shopping," "No Impact Man, " etc. etc. etc.

You know, as cute and well-written as some of those are, I think they are so gimmicky. Maybe I just have an issue with that.

No, this will be her 4th year homeschooling. The book, however, is about the first year.

Got it. Okay, that makes it more appealing to me. It might have been appealing anyway, but that makes me more interested to read what she has to say.

You know, as cute and well-written as some of those are, I think they are so gimmicky. Maybe I just have an issue with that.

I couldn't agree more. However, I have read some of them and while to me, the idea of doing something for a year seems kind of short (where's your lifetime commitment, buddy?), some of the people have found it very hard to keep going for a year. This was the case with the lady who tried to buy from black owned businesses for a year -- she ran out of places to shop for food.

I had to chuckle about "learning to get up for work". When I graduated from college and went to work in the "real" world, I worked a rotating shift. I slept and got up at a different time each week.

:iagree:

DH has NEVER worked a "Normal" schedule. Heck, no one in my family has ever worked a normal schedule. My dad was in the military, my Mom is a nurse, and even now, DH is working a wacky 4, 10 hour day schedule and we never know when he's going to be home.

I loved the interview. I think she did an excellent job of weighing the pros and cons, and giving a NORMAL view of homeschooling. I'm totally going to get her book!

Blessings!

Dorinda