Menu

Quick Cash?

Since you do photography, take your laptop and camera to the beach, park, somewhere picturesque and offer a photoshoot on the spot for $X an give them the CD immediately. If they would like you to edit photos at a future date you can for an additional charge. I was approached by a women handing out flyers on the beach with her phone number. Lots of people on vacation so this way everyone can be in a nice pic together.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh how I wish we could qualify!!! Somehow a family of 5 making $36,000/yr makes too much for food stamps. We do get WIC (for my youngest) and Medicaid for all of the kids.

Ugh, I'm sorry. I assume you *have* applied for the food stamps (since you get WIC and Medicaid)? I'm just saying that because I googled for you, and it looks like you're really, really close, just barely above the limit; in PA, I think they deduct some of your income or something, so what you make is actually more than what is counted. If you haven't actually applied, try it and see. If your income is variable, and it's been low the past couple of months, that's all they'll count for food stamps, so you might get them for at least the next six months.

If you own your home, if you're that tight and can't make your regular bills, you may need to contact your mortgage company and see if they can make a deal with you.

My craigslist has a section for domestic gigs and sometimes people post needing for onetime house cleaning or child care.

Can you and your DH sell plasma? We got grocery money earlier this year that way.

In general labor and Etc. on Craigslistpeople advertise for one time or quick help needed.

Can you or your DH do physical labor? Years ago DH would go to Labor Ready on his days off, he usually ended up cleaning construction sites but he was paid that day.

Ugh, I'm sorry. I assume you *have* applied for the food stamps (since you get WIC and Medicaid)? I'm just saying that because I googled for you, and it looks like you're really, really close, just barely above the limit; in PA, I think they deduct some of your income or something, so what you make is actually more than what is counted. If you haven't actually applied, try it and see. If your income is variable, and it's been low the past couple of months, that's all they'll count for food stamps, so you might get them for at least the next six months.

If you own your home, if you're that tight and can't make your regular bills, you may need to contact your mortgage company and see if they can make a deal with you.

We did....back when we applied for medicaid. THIS is what I'm using for reference.

We had our mortgage adjusted a couple years ago when DH was unemployed 3x in 2yr.

My craigslist has a section for domestic gigs and sometimes people post needing for onetime house cleaning or child care.

Can you and your DH sell plasma? We got grocery money earlier this year that way.

In general labor and Etc. on Craigslistpeople advertise for one time or quick help needed.

Can you or your DH do physical labor? Years ago DH would go to Labor Ready on his days off, he usually ended up cleaning construction sites but he was paid that day.

GREAT ideas!! I will head to Craigslist right now!

We can't do plasma. It makes me sick, and DH is underweight according to them and they won't allow him.

Physical labor.....hmm. DH is a no. He has a spinal cord injury and that just wouldn't work. Me....I suppose to some degree, though I'm not overly strong or fit.

It might be *fun* for the kids to help you fill every container in the house with water, including the bathtub, so that you will know that you have water on hand, just in case. Can you do lawn work...pool cleaning...window washing, etc. You could keep your prices reasonable and make up little flyers. You might visit smaller businesses (bakeries, florists, grocery stores) and see if they need bathroom cleaners, inventory help, window ad hangers. You never know. :grouphug::grouphug:

GREAT ideas!! I will head to Craigslist right now!

We can't do plasma. It makes me sick, and DH is underweight according to them and they won't allow him.

Physical labor.....hmm. DH is a no. He has a spinal cord injury and that just wouldn't work. Me....I suppose to some degree, though I'm not overly strong or fit.

the minimum weight to give plasma is 110.

the minimum weight to give plasma is 110.

Hmm....I swear that's why he said they wouldn't let him (he went in earlier this year). Maybe it was something else. He's 6'4" and 160lbs. Maybe it had to do with his spinal cord injury. I'll have to ask him again.

We did....back when we applied for medicaid. THIS is what I'm using for reference.

We had our mortgage adjusted a couple years ago when DH was unemployed 3x in 2yr.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the kids might qualify you for the second thing down on that site, the expanded categorical eligibility. Anyway, more :grouphug:.

Yeah, but nothing I posted for offer was asked for LOL I guess I don't have the best curriculum either.

I think I've looked at that before. Don't you have to have an offer before you can claim other offers? Hmmm....I wonder what I have that I could offer?!?

Yeah, but nothing I posted for offer was asked for LOL I guess I don't have the best curriculum either.

I think I've looked at that before. Don't you have to have an offer before you can claim other offers? Hmmm....I wonder what I have that I could offer?!?

But as long as you post it, you're eligible to take advantage of other offers, right? So, if I could even find one thing to offer, I'd be okay to accept?

I need Horizons 6 (student) and Horizons K (student and teacher).

Maybe I could put something on FB?!? What would one charge for such cleaning? What would I expect to be doing?

I used to do in-home daycare. Again, not something I'm prepared to do long term again, but would entertain just about anything for the short term to make some cash!

I have a Horizons K Teacher's Manual I'd be happy to send your way for free! I'll even pay the shipping!:)

I have a Horizons K Teacher's Manual I'd be happy to send your way for free! I'll even pay the shipping!:)

I think Jennifer in MI offered me one too, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if she meant just the workbooks or the TE too. If she did not mean the TE, I'd be THRILLED to take yours!!

Thank you....the kindness here just astounds me!

I think Jennifer in MI offered me one too, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if she meant just the workbooks or the TE too. If she did not mean the TE, I'd be THRILLED to take yours!!

Saw that later in the thread. :) My TE is in very good condition. Feel free to PM me if you need it!:grouphug:

I meant just the workbooks! Sorry. I gave my TM to my sister!

Another thought I had after my son just got paid tonight was dog sitting for people on vacation. My son got $20 a day!

Hmm....what does that mean? I wasn't sure what that section was about?!?

Certain people will qualify for food stamps for other reasons, and they are allowed higher income limits. Like, I think disabled people who get assistance for that might fall into a category that is specifically eligible for the higher limits. I'm not sure if small children do or not, but I think it probably would not hurt to call and discuss it with them.

I really do understand the stuck feeling, trust me. We have had similar issues, and it's no fun at all.

I meant just the workbooks! Sorry. I gave my TM to my sister!

Another thought I had after my son just got paid tonight was dog sitting for people on vacation. My son got $20 a day!

Oh!! No problem!

Saw that later in the thread. :) My TE is in very good condition. Feel free to PM me if you need it!:grouphug:

I will PM you right now! Thanks so much!

Certain people will qualify for food stamps for other reasons, and they are allowed higher income limits. Like, I think disabled people who get assistance for that might fall into a category that is specifically eligible for the higher limits. I'm not sure if small children do or not, but I think it probably would not hurt to call and discuss it with them.

I really do understand the stuck feeling, trust me. We have had similar issues, and it's no fun at all.

I just did a little research....it does not appear that Iowa currently has a "Cat El" program. I wish they did, because that program is specifically designed for families like mine. I may apply anyway. Just because maybe something has changed that I'm not aware of.

I'd post something on facebook asking if anyone needs any temporary help or knows of anyone that might need some work done.

The season is winding down, bu you could make that much detasseling or pollinating in a week or two.

"Could you download one of the free photoediting programs to your working computer and offer a simple "back to school" deal for local homeschoolers, like a nice basic school photo sort of thing?"

THIS!!! I wish you were near me. If I got notice that there was another homeschooling family in need and the mom was a professional photographer offering a deal for pics for homeschool families I would do it to help out!

I think this is one of the best ideas for you. Do you have other homeschooling friends in your area who might be more connected who could get the word out for you?

I'd post something on facebook asking if anyone needs any temporary help or knows of anyone that might need some work done.

The season is winding down, bu you could make that much detasseling or pollinating in a week or two.

I might have to do the FB thing.

I'm not sure I could detassel or pollinate! I'm very allergic to corn pollen.

"Could you download one of the free photoediting programs to your working computer and offer a simple "back to school" deal for local homeschoolers, like a nice basic school photo sort of thing?"

THIS!!! I wish you were near me. If I got notice that there was another homeschooling family in need and the mom was a professional photographer offering a deal for pics for homeschool families I would do it to help out!

I think this is one of the best ideas for you. Do you have other homeschooling friends in your area who might be more connected who could get the word out for you?

I used to have GIMP. I'm not sure I remember how to use it, lol.

Hmm....this would be more complicated than it sounds. I usually shoot in RAW as it is more forgiving than JPG, but I'd need Photoshop to process RAW images. If I shoot in JPG I'd have to be much more precise....and remember how to edit without actions. I'm also not at all plugged in to the homeschooling community here. In fact, I only know one other family....from right here at the Hive :) I'll have to think about that one.

Dh and I cleaned homes several years ago. We charged about 75.00 to clean about 2500 sf home.

Prices to clean seem to have skyrocketed, but you would need to consider your area. I think 200.00 to clean a home would be a bit of a stretch unless you're cleaning 4k sf or more.

You might contact some commercial business and see if they have a cleaning company.

Also try contacting a temporary agency to see if they have some assignments that would fit your skills.

Kristin,

It seems to me that you have two problems. One is the water bill that is due. You need quick money for that. Obviously you are asking for advice about that and it looks like you can look into at least a couple of solutions.

But the other problem is that money is so tight that you don't have enough money for utilities. You're going to need some longer term solutions for that one - not just a quick cash solution.

Kristin, what curriculum do you need for this year? I have 18 years worth of homeschool curriculum just sitting in my basement. I'm happy to send something to you if I have it. :)

My Kindergartener still needs:

Maybe a supplement to ETC?

My 7th grader still needs:

Horizons Math 6 Workbooks

Science of some kind

LA/English/Grammar/Writing of some kind (we've been doing CLE, but I'm open to anything but Shurley)

Hopefully geography of some kind (not necessary, but we haven't done much with it, so I'd kind of like to sneak some in)

I'm not sure what else.....I have the TE for Horizons 6 Math, and that's it.

Kristin,

It seems to me that you have two problems. One is the water bill that is due. You need quick money for that. Obviously you are asking for advice about that and it looks like you can look into at least a couple of solutions.

But the other problem is that money is so tight that you don't have enough money for utilities. You're going to need some longer term solutions for that one - not just a quick cash solution.

Agreed.....

The longer term solution is in place (me working) - the 1st problem was that I didn't work for a few months, which led to us being behind, the 2nd is that I only get paid once a month and although I've been back to work since the end of June, the next installment won't be to me until the end of Aug. The final problem is that we're behind. I make enough to help us make ends meet, but not enough to have extra to catch back up.

I know that once we're back to even....we'll be able to make ends meet with what we make. It's how to get there?

My Kindergartener still needs:

Maybe a supplement to ETC?

Science of some kind

LA/English/Grammar/Writing of some kind (we've been doing CLE, but I'm open to anything but Shurley)

Hopefully geography of some kind (not necessary, but we haven't done much with it, so I'd kind of like to sneak some in)

I'll see what I have that might work for you and PM you. It'll take me a couple days to dig through my basement shelves. :lol:

This won't help you get quick cash, but for the long term, could you trim some bills for services that your family uses like cut the cable bill, get rid of the home phone and just go to cell phones only or vice versa, apply for energy assistance in November, etc?

Just trying to think of some ways we have recently cut down expenses to ward off getting too far behind.

If it were me, I would get a cash advance on my credit card for the amount I am behind. If you give the utility company your credit card number, then you can dodge the cash advance fee. Then I would give myself a year to pay it off. And, any extra money that comes in also goes toward it. BTDT no fun.

I always have this huge tug at my heart when I read forum posts like this. Only because I've been there- repeatedly. Please don't let any amount of pride get in the way of asking for work or help from anyone that may a resource to you. I wish I could come over and hold your hand while you deal with this.

If you have any debts, immediately put them on a pro rata plan. That may free up some budgeted money (maybe not immediately, but by next pay day). And, no, I'm not considering the water bill as a debt, that is a basic living expense.

I went through a period where I was short-changing our basic needs to come up with "extra" money to put towards debt. It literally took Dave Ramsey on stage telling us it was ok to spend what you NEEDED to spend on the 4-walls: food, shelter, clothing, and transportation. It wasn't extra money- it was our money to survive.

Please make sure you are spending what you NEED to on basic necessities and don't feel guilty or take from this money to pay any debts. I spend our income my categorical percentages. We don't spend over XX% on shelter, XX% on food, and XX% on debts (with the goal of 0%).

This is where the pro rata plan comes into play. If you only have 100$ a month to put towards debt, then that is all you have- you wount be tempted to spend necessity money to get rid of the debt. Spread it out by the percentages.

I have tried various opportunities for employment as a SAHM over the years. Some work and some don't. I would try to get to a place, budget-wise, where your income was the extra and basic living expenses came from hubby's income.

In a word, work. Don't spend a bunch of valuable time (on the internet) trying to find cash in a quicker and easier way. Work is the quickest, easiest way. Put it on facebook and craigslist that you will clean houses, detail cars, or do yard work to pay a bill. Call the megachurch and ask if you can clean out a closet or refrigerator.

Do you have a second car? Sell your second car and share a car for the next few months to get back on your feet. Do you have a gaming system or smartphone or tablet? You can get $150 for an xbox or wii if you have accessories and games to go with them. We have a local thrift page on Facebook that has a ton of traffic.

Lots of hugs to you. Prayed for you this morning!!

Isn't that usually just a donation? No $$?

I can't do plasma....it makes me sick.

No, we don't. My kids go to a very large mega-church, but we are not regular members. We were very graciously given some assistance from a church down the street before Christmas last year (thanks to a wonderfully sweet and thoughtful Hive member). I'm embarrassed to be in a pinch yet again.

Very desperate is a PERFECT description.

Don't know where you are at, but I know our parish has had people walk in and ask for help and they've been given it, even if they are not members and have never stepped inside before. Even if it is just food or toiletries that would otherwise take $ that could help. Don't be embarrassed! A lot of us have been in bad situations before. :grouphug:

This won't help you get quick cash, but for the long term, could you trim some bills for services that your family uses like cut the cable bill, get rid of the home phone and just go to cell phones only or vice versa, apply for energy assistance in November, etc?

Just trying to think of some ways we have recently cut down expenses to ward off getting too far behind.

We have done a LOT of this over the last few years. I think it may be time to sit down and look at areas to cut again though! I'm not sure where else there is to trim, but I will certainly try to find something! Thank you for the reminder.

If it were me, I would get a cash advance on my credit card for the amount I am behind. If you give the utility company your credit card number, then you can dodge the cash advance fee. Then I would give myself a year to pay it off. And, any extra money that comes in also goes toward it. BTDT no fun.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), we don't have a credit card to do this. That's the one thing I CAN say.....through this whole experience the last 4yr or so, we have NOT gone into debt.

In a word, work. Don't spend a bunch of valuable time (on the internet) trying to find cash in a quicker and easier way. Work is the quickest, easiest way. Put it on facebook and craigslist that you will clean houses, detail cars, or do yard work to pay a bill. Call the megachurch and ask if you can clean out a closet or refrigerator.

Do you have a second car? Sell your second car and share a car for the next few months to get back on your feet. Do you have a gaming system or smartphone or tablet? You can get $150 for an xbox or wii if you have accessories and games to go with them. We have a local thrift page on Facebook that has a ton of traffic.

Lots of hugs to you. Prayed for you this morning!!

Thank you! This is exactly what I intend to do.

Just put the word out that you are looking for work via craigslist, the bboard at your supermarket, the library, facebook, and all your acquaintances. People don't want to hire employees long term for cleaning house interiors, cleaning vinyl siding & fences, detailing cars, washing windows, and painting rooms, but they're happy to hire you for a oneshot. You can also watch children -- maybe there is a demand in y0ur area for overnight sitters or for drop-in.

This is what I'm hoping for! A few one time gigs to get us out of this pinch and ahead a little to cover us until I get paid at the end of August.

I don't think I saw this mentioned, but be aware that many churches are usually closed on Monday.

So sorry you are going through this. :grouphug: It's NO fun.

Have you talked to the water company about options?

I don't know where you live exactly, so I googled Eastern Iowa water assistance this is what I found. I don't know if this is your water company or not.

http://www.amwater.com/iaaw/Customer-Service/Billing-&-Payment-Information/

Help with Your Water Bill

Payment Arrangements

Sometimes customers face circumstances that stretch their financial resources. If you cannot pay your bill by the due date, please contact our Customer Service Center before the bill becomes due. Our customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1.866.641.2108.

Our customer service representatives will work with you on a plan to pay the balance of the bill over time. These payment arrangements require you to:

• Pay at least 25% of your bill within 48 hours of your call.

• Pay the rest of the bill, including any applicable late payment charge according to an agreed upon schedule, not to exceed 6 months.

• Pay all future bills as they become due.

We will create these payment arrangements only with customers who have not broken a similar agreement with us in the past twelve months.

H20 Help to Others Program

H2O Help to Others is an emergency assistance program created by Iowa American Water and Community Action of Eastern Iowa. The program helps provide supplemental funding to Iowa American Water customers who would otherwise have trouble paying their bills.

H2O Help to Others is supported by customers' voluntary donations and contributions from Iowa American Water. The Community Action Agencies' trained caseworkers determine the needs of families and individuals, who must be Iowa American Water customers.

Who qualifies for H2O Help to Others program assistance?

Any individual or family whose water service is being provided by Iowa American Water and who is in danger of losing their primary source of water and meets the "basic needs" criteria as set by Community Action Agency caseworkers.

How do I apply for H2O Help to Others assistance?

Call the Iowa American Water Customer Service Center toll-free at 1.866.641.2108. Or, you may contact Community Action of Eastern Iowa in Clinton at 563.243.5220/866.243.5220, or in the Quad Cities area at 563.324.3236/866.324.3236

Science of some kind

I saw this thread this morning but didn't have a chance to respond. I have several 7th grade things you can have: Trail Guide to Geography, Lifepac Science, Math, & LA (I think between 2-6 lifepacs each subject), and a Lifepac science DVD. I will be happy to mail them to you. Even if they don't work for what you need, you can try to sell them. I don't have enough posts to sell on these boards & I would rather help someone else out, anyway. :001_smile:

I have been in this situation many times before. It is not fun. :grouphug:

I saw this thread this morning but didn't have a chance to respond. I have several 7th grade things you can have: Trail Guide to Geography, Lifepac Science, Math, & LA (I think between 2-6 lifepacs each subject), and a Lifepac science DVD. I will be happy to mail them to you. Even if they don't work for what you need, you can try to sell them. I don't have enough posts to sell on these boards & I would rather help someone else out, anyway. :001_smile:

I have been in this situation many times before. It is not fun. :grouphug:

I PM'd you!

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies, so sorry if this has been asked. Is your dh trying to earn some extra money too? This is something you should not have to stress about alone! Ultimately, it is your dh's responsibility as the head of the family to support you and your children. It's fine that you are trying to help, but I hope you aren't trying to carry this burden alone.

I wish I had some of the books you are looking for, but my oldest is in 5th, so I don't have any 6th-7th books yet.

:grouphug:

I haven't had a chance to read all of the replies, so sorry if this has been asked. Is your dh trying to earn some extra money too? This is something you should not have to stress about alone! Ultimately, it is your dh's responsibility as the head of the family to support you and your children. It's fine that you are trying to help, but I hope you aren't trying to carry this burden alone.

I wish I had some of the books you are looking for, but my oldest is in 5th, so I don't have any 6th-7th books yet.

:grouphug:

He is! He's been working extra shifts at $150/shift over the last 6 months or so. He's only been able to do 1-2/month though.

He is! He's been working extra shifts at $150/shift over the last 6 months or so. He's only been able to do 1-2/month though.

That's good to hear. I can tell you are very upset about this (I would be too), so I just wanted to make sure your dh is doing what he can too.

Sorry I can't help you out; I hope you are able to get the cash you need very quickly. :)