Menu

Why do some hs'ers want to use ps libraries?

I have read comments here and elsewhere about homeschoolers wanting to get permission to use the library at their local ps. Why? Most libraries have more non-fiction for research and it's usually more up-to-date. They also have more copies of classics we might be reading, so it's easy to get a copy when we want it. I know that some libraries are small (we used to live in an area with a small library system), but usually the ps library is equally small.

So explain it to me, what is the draw to ps libraries?:confused:

Some areas have horrible public libraries, if they have them at all. Another argument I have heard, is that they want access to a more 'kid appropriate' building and controlled content, so the parent doesn't have to police the kids choices as much.

And, in my case, I wouldn't mind it (although I haven't asked-school libraries here aren't well funded, and I'd hate to take books away from kids who don't have parents who buy books or take their kids to the public library) because the PS is less than a block from my house. The public library requires a drive.

In our giant city-wide shared library system the ps libraries get the best educational books. Countless times I have searched the database for a classic or reference book, only to find that there are indeed 10 copies but they are all in the school libraries and the public cannot request them.

We have lots of homeschoolers here, so all the good stuff that's available in the central and branch libraries gets used until it's used up, and they are slow to replace worn-out books. They seem to have an ample budget for trendy stuff, though. If I want Twilight, Goosebumps, or 50 Shades of Grey I can have a copy with no waiting, but if I want books found on most homeschooling lists (TOG, SL, WTM) I'm usually out of luck.

I've never asked the ps schools to allow access. In our state there is no connection between ps and hs, so it doesn't make sense to ask for resources of any kind. So buying the books that one would think would be in the public library is just another expense of homeschooling, I guess.

I try to look at it this way: By hoarding the books in the school libraries they are giving us hope that ps kids are actually being assigned the classics.

I have actually never heard/read of homeschoolers wanting access to ps libraries.

In fact - quite the opposite.

Our "top-notch" school in an affluent district is downsizing their library and going electronic.

The school my brother's children attend has eliminated their library completely due to finances. My SIL and other moms begged the school board to keep their library open with volunteers, but the school still shut it down.

A relative of mine just retired from a public library and she said their numbers were increasing due to the number of schools in their area eliminating libraries.

I have never heard of this, but it's possible that some public school libraries stock many copies of common books read by kids, whereas the local public library might have a copy or two? Some public libraries are better about this than others.

I don't want to use the ps library, but one thing I like about the school library is that the books are arranged by reading level instead of just author's name. While the public library has an "early reader" section and a juvenile section, ds7 is reading on a 3rd-4th grade level and it's hard to find books on his reading level. We pretty much have to figure out what books we want to get before we go to the library instead of letting him browse to find something he is interested in.

Some of these comments are good reasons I hadn't thought of. I guess it makes the most sense when the public and ps libraries are linked. In that case, everyone should be allowed access to the books at the school library.

I guess I just remember growing up that we were only allowed to check out one book at a time at school and could get so many more at the public library. When I was in high school and had to do research, I never went to the library at school. There was never enough information there.

I tried to use the local elementary school's library when my girls were small. My local public library is *LAME*. The school library was not much better but at least they had more books at the young reader level.

It really helps for kids learning to read to have tons of easy readers available, the public library had a limited selection and I did not want to buy all the ones we would need. I tried the school library but they made it very difficult so I only did so for a few months.

Another argument I have heard, is that they want access to a more 'kid appropriate' building and controlled content, so the parent doesn't have to police the kids choices as much.

I can totally see this, even though I'm not terribly conservative. My public library has the kid and YA books all thrown in together. I have absolutely not objection to the YA books, even the controversial ones, being present in the library. I do have a problem with books on topics appropriate for late teens being shelved where a young kid browsing through the books is bound to stumble across them.

That, and the public use computers are right next to the children's section, so there's a bunch of teens and adults looking at sometimes questionable stuff a few feet away, and definitely within viewing range, of the children/YA H-M shelf.

I'm thinking of getting a card to our PS library. It is closer than our public library and I don't have to pay for parking. Our public library has metered parking which I think is ridiculous so I refuse to go there. The little meter cops are vigilant about ticketing there too.

I never even thought about using a ps library. (Although I went to an elementary school to vote in the primaries a couple of months ago. The voting was in the library and I immediately wanted to curl up in a corner somewhere and read! I have such fond memories of my ps school library.) I don't know if it would be a step up from the public library or not.

Our public library isn't that great but it works okay for us. I end up having to request a lot of books from other branches so it isn't great for just browsing. There isn't a lot to choose from for early elementary age kids. Our church used to run an elementary school. The church still has all the books from that library and opens it up every Sunday after the service. That has been a good resource. A lot of classics and out-of-print books.