Menu

What is a duvet?

We went on vacation, and the hotel had theses great white down-filled comforters, but I think they might be duvets. Anyway, I want one! I will describe it, and maybe someone can tell me if it is a duvet. It simply covered the top and some of the side of the bed. It was fairly lightweight but heavy enough to help when the air conditioning was chilly. It was a little fluffy, but not a lot. There didn't seem to be a cover, which is why I wondered if it was a true duvet.

So I looked on Amazon, hoping to find the exact thing in a different color, but they have duvet cover sets. Would I need a duvet and a cover? There didn't seem to be inserts and covers. :confused: Do I have the concept down? Do you have any suggestions on where to find what I'm looking for that won't break the bank? (Geesh, some of those sets were ridiculous!) Thanks for any ideas you might have. :)

FWIW, I usually buy comforter covers (and plain white comforters) at The Company Store or JCP.

I have a down comforter somewhere, but I usually buy one of the primaloft varieties instead, for allergies and ease of cleaning.

Having a cover is especially convenient for kiddos who kick the sheets to the foot of the bed.

Edited by wapiti

It covers a comforter, b/c down cannot be laundered safely. Although I have had my down comforter dry cleaned.

I've laundered down many times. You just have to make sure it is completely dry, using something in the dryer to breakup down clumps. Sometimes drying takes 3-4 times as long as a non down comparable item.

A duvet is a fluffy (usually down) comforter that's meant to be used with a washable cover that looks like 2 sheets sewn together (usually with snaps, ties, or buttons on the bottom). You don't use a top sheet with it, because the cover serves the same purpose (you launder the cover when you wash the bottom sheet).

They are very very common in Europe, and the big advantages are (1) you can make the bed just by pulling the duvet up (no layers of sheets, blankets, bedspread) and (2) you can invest in a really good quality down comforter (or several of different weights for different seasons) and just change out the covers when they get worn, stained, or you redecorate.

For some reason, many people in the States refer to the cover as a duvet, but that's not really correct. That's kind of like calling a pillow case a pillow.

Jackie

A duvet is a fluffy (usually down) comforter that's meant to be used with a washable cover that looks like 2 sheets sewn together (usually with snaps, ties, or buttons on the bottom). You don't use a top sheet with it, because the cover serves the same purpose (you launder the cover when you wash the bottom sheet).

They are very very common in Europe, and the big advantages are (1) you can make the bed just by pulling the duvet up (no layers of sheets, blankets, bedspread) and (2) you can invest in a really good quality down comforter (or several of different weights for different seasons) and just change out the covers when they get worn, stained, or you redecorate.

For some reason, many people in the States refer to the cover as a duvet, but that's not really correct. That's kind of like calling a pillow case a pillow.

Jackie

This. I started using duvets and duvet covers a few years back, because I am so cold natured. Dh can have the fan going to stay cool, and I can cover up to my ears with the duvet and be cozy. :D They are beautiful on the bed too. I bought a nice warm duvet, and I change out the covers for different seasons (warm colors in winter and cool colors in spring and summer).

Jackie

Well what do you know . . . I can be taught. :tongue_smilie:

duvet is the comforter. be sure and do some research on what to look for in down comforter BEFORE you buy. There is a HUGE difference out there.

duvet cover is just that, a cover like a pillowcase (some people are lazy and say duvet when they mean duvet cover) - and some contribute to heat retention and others don't.

first and foremost - the down is the "underfeathers" of a duck or goose. They are what insulate the bird and keep it warm. down from birds of northern climes are warmer. they are light and very fluffy. they are not the feathers that you see when you look at the bird, and most definitely NOT the flight feathers. (but some manufacturers use those in "down comforters".) (just an aside - I went to a b&b advertising down comforters - they were feather and atrocious.)

you are looking at fill power (re: volume) of the down (the more pure the down, the higher the fill power and the warmer per oz so the less required to be warm),

oz of down used in the comforter, different weights of the same fill power for different warmth requirements.

what type of fabric the comforter is -some are more down-proof than others, the way the sections of the comforter are divided to keep the down from shifting too far. it tends to want to migrate to the outside. squares are common, but I've also seen channels.

high quality down compacts ALOT. you shake it hard to get it to puff up.

I wash my down pillows and comforters in my front loader and they come out like new. use tennis balls and make sure they are aboslutely dry in the dryer. I use a low heat setting and run it through three dry cycles. with tennis balls.

eta: after getting down comforters, it made having severe chills so much easier. I could double the comforter on top of me, throw a wool blanket on top of that and I'd be warm and my fever would break much faster than if I had 10 wool blankets on top of me.

a good down comforter will cost you, but it will last for YEARS. I've had the one I've got now for 12 years and it is still going strong. I've also had "less expensive" ones - you really do get what you pay for.

Edited by gardenmom5

It covers a comforter, b/c down cannot be laundered safely. Although I have had my down comforter dry cleaned.

I always wash my down in my front loader (NEVER with an agitator) with tennis balls and make sure it is absolutely dry. comes out like new. I send my king size comforters out because they don't fit in my washer.

In Europe, when you buy a duvet it has a warmth rating. I can't remember what the unit is called, but it's a great way to compare the different choices based on how warm they will keep you. I've had poly duvets for many years; I just washed one yesterday that is more than 30 years old and still going strong. I called them "continental quilts" when I was younger, but now "duvet" seems to be the common term. Sizes seem to vary, so be careful to match your cover size with your duvet size. I hate it when the cover is bigger than the duvet. When they fit snugly the duvet is less likely to bunch up. When I was younger, we had to make our own duvet covers from sheets, because you couldn't buy them here. All my early ones came from Europe. It's nice to be able to buy them now, but I did make one a few months ago so that I could get the design I wanted.

I never understood the American "comforter". So hard to wash, no cover, and you have to chuck the whole thing when you get sick of the design. Duvets have a much longer life because you can always change out the cover if you redecorate.

Jackie

:iagree:

Duvet is the comforter

Duvet cover is the 'pillow case' for the comforter.

I don't know if this is correct or not, but when I think of a duvet, I think of a plain white comforter. They don't have to have a cover, but they aren't pretty alone. The cover makes it pretty and keeps it clean.

A comforter to me, has a non-removable cover that is pretty/colored/has a design.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

dh would call it a federdecke

Yep, that's what they're called here. I can't have down (feder) though because I'm very allergic. One of my roommates in college had a down comforter and it landed me in the hospital. I had to change rooms. Sadness.

We do have a synthetic duvet and they come in different warmths. The more little diamond shapes on the tag, the warmer it is. We have a heavy one for winter and a light one for summer. I just pull one out and slip the other in the duvet cover when we're ready to switch. Of course when James Bond is home, he likes to keep the house 65 degrees in the summer, so really I can get by without switching them because I am freezing all the time.

I just decided to redo our bedroom the other day, and instead of having to buy a whole new comforter set, I just bought a new duvet cover and shams. Yay!

My biggest complaint about duvet covers though is that most don't have a full opening on one side, but an opening that's maybe half the size of the duvet in the center of the side. Indy has a twin and it's easy to change, but if you have a king duvet like we do, it is a complete PITA to get the duvet in the cover. I have literally crawled inside them to get it right. Why not just have a complete opening with a zipper, buttons or ties??? They should also have clips in the corners to keep the duvet in place. I used old fashioned diaper pins (because they are large) on the inside of the cover to keep the corners matched up. Still, even with the issues, I wouldn't give up my duvet.

None of the hotels we've ever been to here in Europe have top sheets, just duvets and most have 2 duvets on the large beds, one for me and one for James Bond. Oh, and you can't find top sheets in any of the stores. They just don't use them!

That said, they are ridiculously expensive here (referring to the covers). In Germany you can get them anywhere and everywhere in all price ranges. Here I have only seen them in very expensive stores.

I usually buy whatever is on sale at The Company Store. Sometimes I can get a decent price.

They should also have clips in the corners to keep the duvet in place. I used old fashioned diaper pins (because they are large) on the inside of the cover to keep the corners matched up.

This. Last time I was buying comforters, I bought them at JCP and they didn't have a place to tie the cover onto the corners. I ended up sewing on a tiny strip of fabric to each corner. But I guess I was too lazy to do it with all of them, so ds9 keeps ending up with his comforter in a ball at the bottom of the cover. Don't ask me how he does that so easily :glare:

The covers from The Company Store open almost all the way. I lay the comforter on the floor, turn the cover inside-out and tie on the top set of corners. Then I can pull the rest of it down. (LOL about crawling inside. BTDT.)

I wish there was a tie for the middle of the top side of the king comforter and cover. Duh, I guess I could sew some on... (I am not hugely talented in the sewing department). A person good with sewing could probably make a cover fairly easily, by sewing two sheets together, though I suppose by the time you pay for two flat sheets, you could have bought a cover.

It's funny, once I started buying comforters and covers about 15 years ago, it would never occur to me to buy a "regular" one, without getting a cover. We like them that much (between the many kids, guest rooms and the cabin, I probably have more than 20).

Yep, that's what they're called here. I can't have down (feder) though because I'm very allergic. One of my roommates in college had a down comforter and it landed me in the hospital. I had to change rooms. Sadness.

My biggest complaint about duvet covers though is that most don't have a full opening on one side, but an opening that's maybe half the size of the duvet in the center of the side. Indy has a twin and it's easy to change, but if you have a king duvet like we do, it is a complete PITA to get the duvet in the cover.!

there are also silk filled comforters - and surprisingly warm and lightweight.

I take the outside corner of the 'far' end of the cover and scrunch it down to the opening side. grab the coresponding corner of the comforter from the outside. (the comfoter is "inside", my hand is outside.) then pull the comforter one way while pulling the cover the other way. it works best on the king's if two people are doing it, one on each side. then you just pull and can straighten fairly quickly. then the opening side you can do the same thing, which is much easier as you're almost done already. then shake it out.

Edited by gardenmom5

A person good with sewing could probably make a cover fairly easily, by sewing two sheets together, though I suppose by the time you pay for two flat sheets, you could have bought a cover.

btdt. no thanks, I'll buy a cover. the only time it's worth sewing to me is if you absolutely have to have a particular pattern to "match". I don't care enough anymore.

It's funny, once I started buying comforters and covers about 15 years ago, it would never occur to me to buy a "regular" one, without getting a cover. We like them that much (between the many kids, guest rooms and the cabin, I probably have more than 20).

I also will never use anything else again.

I always been tempted by these but, aren't they hot in the summer?

You mean a comforter with a cover? It depends on where you live and what weight/level of warmth you buy. I usually buy medium weight in a down alternative/primaloft, such as this one from TCS or something like this one from JCP, usually during a big "white sale," such as in January. I do not buy down. The primaloft is pretty light.

The Company Store comforters come with a place to tie on the cover (their covers come with ties inside the corners). The JCP ones that I bought in the past did not, which was annoying.

FWIW, y'all know that you can buy a cover to put over any old comforter, right? (Pin the corners on the inside.) Just choose a color that won't show through.

No, not at all. They are amazing. It's the only blanket on our beds. DH and I have our own, we don't share a big one.

We don't share blankets, either.

You mean a comforter with a cover? It depends on where you live and what weight/level of warmth you buy. I usually buy medium weight in a down alternative/primaloft, such as this one from TCS or something like this one from JCP, usually during a big "white sale," such as in January. I do not buy down. The primaloft is pretty light.

The Company Store comforters come with a place to tie on the cover (their covers come with ties inside the corners). The JCP ones that I bought in the past did not, which was annoying.

FWIW, y'all know that you can buy a cover to put over any old comforter, right? (Pin the corners on the inside.) Just choose a color that won't show through.

Thanks! We have a few days each summer of high 90's and then we get snow in the winter. Would these be able to take us through the year?

Thanks! We have a few days each summer of high 90's and then we get snow in the winter. Would these be able to take us through the year?

Sure. Where we are in CO, it is warmer than that - when we had a couple weeks of high 90s, close to 100, all my kids still used their comforters (we have AC). One of them prefers an old quilt in the summer, but the other five stick to their soft and fluffy comforters. Actually, it's colder up at our cabin in the mountains, without AC but a lot of sun that can heat up the place in the summer, but I have pretty much the same weight comforters...

there are also silk filled comforters - and surprisingly warm and lightweight.

I take the outside corner of the 'far' end of the cover and scrunch it down to the opening side. grab the coresponding corner of the comforter from the outside. (the comfoter is "inside", my hand is outside.) then pull the comforter one way while pulling the cover the other way. it works best on the king's if two people are doing it, one on each side. then you just pull and can straighten fairly quickly. then the opening side you can do the same thing, which is much easier as you're almost done already. then shake it out.

This is how I do it for Indy's duvet, but I can't do it for the king and James Bond is rarely here when I wash and change the cover. I do turn them wrong side out and pin the corners, but getting it all stuffed back inside on my own AND getting it straight is HARD. That's why I generally climb in once I've paid it on the bed to adjust it. I'm sure it looks insane to see me roaming around inside a huge duvet cover. :D

It is so much better than a top sheet. How do you even cover up with a top sheet AND a blanket? I hate how they get all wadded up.

DH did not understand what to get for bedding because where he grew up in Europe they only had duvets. When cold weather hits, they put an insert in, and then just use it solo when warm enough. I have two smaller ones on our bed, because DH sleeps with this body pillow and it wakes me up having one huge one when he moves around.

We don't share blankets, either.

Because it's not tucked in to the mattress, you can have it cover however much of you is needed for the temperature, so it's appropriate for a wide range of temperatures. As PPs have said, however, you can get super-warm ones and lighter ones, so some folks switch them out for the seasons. I use my poly (non-down) ones year-round.

I scrunch up the cover, put in one corner and hold it from the outside, then put in the other corner, then, holding both corners from the outside, shake it down as much as possible. I then lay it on the bed and poke the bottom of the duvet inside the bottom corners.

I know the half-length slit at the bottom makes it a bit harder to put the cover ON, but the advantage is that the duvet is much less likely to wiggle its way OUT. I much prefer this style and have been known to alter covers accordingly if needed.

Not only do they eliminate the need for top sheets, I've also seen an interesting "fitted" sheet that was actually a fitted sheet and dust ruffle in one. It fit over the mattress and had sides that hung down to the floor rather than tucking into the mattress. Very convenient for older folks because it makes it much easier to change the sheets, and you don't need to make a separate effort to keep the dust ruffle clean.

FWIW, I usually buy comforter covers (and plain white comforters) at The Company Store or JCP.

I have a down comforter somewhere, but I usually buy one of the primaloft varieties instead, for allergies and ease of cleaning.

Having a cover is especially convenient for kiddos who kick the sheets to the foot of the bed.

Are primaloft covers very warm?

Yes. They come in different levels of warmth, such as this one from TCS, which comes in light, medium, extra warm, and ultra warm :).

Thanks! I want a down alternative blanket. I have my mom's down blanket from TCS but when I was sick last I used dh's as mine was being washed. His was MUCH warmer than mine. I will keep my mom's blanket but get a very warm down alternative.

I love TCS!

I always been tempted by these but, aren't they hot in the summer?

We have three different weights. The one we use in the summer is like this:

down-filled blanket. Then we have a warmer one for fall and spring and one that's warmer still for winter. They can also be layered--the summer one and the fall one are a bit less warm than our winter one, for example.