Menu

Sell me on your mid-size SUV

If you own one, what do you have and what do you love about it?

I'm looking at something along the lines of:

Chevy Traverse (first choice but I haven't actually driven one)

Mazda CX-7 or 9

Nissan Rogue or Murano

I'm also contemplating a Toyota Venza, even though it's more like a car. I've driven one and loved the ride.

The Highlander is not really an option as I owned one and didn't love it.

Thanks for any info!

If you own one, what do you have and what do you love about it?

I'm looking at something along the lines of:

Chevy Traverse (first choice but I haven't actually driven one)

Mazda CX-7 or 9

Nissan Rogue or Murano

I'm also contemplating a Toyota Venza, even though it's more like a car. I've driven one and loved the ride.

The Highlander is not really an option as I owned one and didn't love it.

Thanks for any info!

I have a Jeep that has been running forever. Don't know if Jeep are mid-size, probably more on the smaller end of SUVs?

I drive a Traverse. I do love my car, and hope to get a few more good years out of it, but it does have it's drawbacks. I do recommend a thorough test drive.

It's bigger than it looks. Lots of room inside, but can be a pain to park (You must have some room to swing wide.). It's also HEAVY @ nearly 5,000 lb curb weight. It takes effort to stop and if you're a habitual tailgater, you could really do some damage. My dh drives my car rarely, and I always need to remind him "We're in a 2.5 ton SUV..." :tongue_smilie:.

Blind spots. The most serious of which are the front pillars between the windshield and the side windows. When approaching an intersection, it is possible for a vehicle on a cross street approaching at the same time to hide in these blind spots. Gotta duck your head forward and back a couple of times at every corner.

Due to similar blind spots on the rear quarter, backing into a parking space is a nightmare, but is MUCH easier with the rear camera (optional). Parallel parking may require a small miracle. :tongue_smilie:

The optional rear camera really should be standard for safety reasons. The back window is ridiculously tiny and the vehicle is pretty high off the ground. If a small, low-to-the-ground car like a Dodge Neon were to park behind you, you would barely see it.

I do LOVE how it handles on the open road though. It's wonderful on the interstate and the big side mirrors make lane changes easy to do safely. You do need to be careful changing lanes on curves, but I'm sure that's true of most vehicles on the road.

I also love how when I step on the gas, it GOES. :D

ETA: The other vehicles you list are all much smaller than the Traverse. Have you looked at the Equinox?

Edited by darlasowders

Stacey, wanna come drive my Acadia Denali? It's like a mini van inside, but nice and sporty on the outside. Seats fold down if I need them too for hauling stuff around. I love it and I drove just about every crossover/small suv you can think of. Spent 10 months deciding. Hubby said I could have anything I wanted :lol:... I traded my Suburban in for it (I cried though because I loved my big ol' tank, it was getting up there in age). It gets up and goes when I want it to and after driving a V8, I needed some pep.

The Mazda 9 was nice, but felt tight in there and for the amount of money they were asking, I got more features in my acadia for a less price. If the new red denali's didn't have the tan interior, I'd actually trade my black one in, lol. I love red, and hubby would let me do it, but I'd have to watch my speed good then lol!

Drove a Jeep Cherokee and another, can't remember the name...they just aren't made like they used too. after checking out many websites there seemed too many complaints about them and I didn't like the way it handled. I did sort of scare the guy driving with us though. Hubby told him to buckle up...he didn't listen, lol. When I'm testing them out, I really test them, lol.

Traverse and Equinox wasn't nearly as comfy to my bum and I just didn't sit in them good. Had a hard time seeing out of areas as I'm short. One seemed tight in there.

Drove the Terrain...no pep, engine seems to constantly want to shift up and down as your driving. seemed a little loud and smaller than what I wanted.

Highlander also smaller than I wanted and 3rd row is a joke, lol. My 3rd row actually seats kids comfortably. theirs felt like cardboard.

4runner, handles and rides like a truck-not my thing. horn sounded like a toy, lol. really liked the body on it though.

Love the Tahoe, but was trying to go a little smaller.

Would have loved to buy the Sequoia! But at 12 miles to the gallon...no thanks. I was attempting to choose something with a little better gas mileage than the Suburban.

Drove a BMW X5. seats are like butter, nice to drive, got some pep, but for the money, I got more features in my Acadia that I wanted for a good bit less.

The only thing I wanted to drive but didn't was the Tuareg and Tegua by Volkswagon, but I'm ok with that.

Edited by CountryGirl2

I am going to be looking at the Mazda CX-9 and and GMC Acadia.

I have the captains chairs in mine. It is so nice not to be moving seats back and forth or kids climbing over them like they used to in the suburban.

It's funny... it was cheaper to get the Denali than it was to get a fully loaded regular Acadia. We travel a lot and having a tv has been fun, lol!

After three Expeditions I tried to downsize and got a Traverse. I really did love the car it just wasn't big enough for our needs due to special circumstances. Had captains chairs in the second row and the back up camera. Really a good car, absolutely no complaints, put a TON of miles on it in a little under 15 months. Upgraded to a Suburban and fixed my size issue :)

After three Expeditions I tried to downsize and got a Traverse. I really did love the car it just wasn't big enough for our needs due to special circumstances. Had captains chairs in the second row and the back up camera. Really a good car, absolutely no complaints, put a TON of miles on it in a little under 15 months. Upgraded to a Suburban and fixed my size issue :)

It really is awesome. I worry that I may have come across as ragging on it, but I just wanted to point out a few things I noticed.

I went to the Traverse from a minivan that was ALL windows with just incredibly great 360 degree visibility. You just don't get in anything new anymore due to side curtain airbags.

We own a Nissan Pathfinder and I love it! I considered the Traverse but my husband absolutely refuses to buy an American car. So, Pathfinder it is. I have the 6 cylinder and it routinely gets 18 mpg. Not great, but not horrible. It seats seven and you can really haul a lot of stuff!

I love, love, love my Saturn Outlook (which they don't make anymore) but it is the exact same car as the GMC Acadia.

The Acadia/Traverse/Outlook/Enclave are all pretty much the same vehicle (referred to here as GM's full-sized crossover quadruplets).

I love, love, love my Saturn Outlook (which they don't make anymore) but it is the exact same car as the GMC Acadia.

Little story... I loved watching the Ghost Whisperer (but I watched them on Netflix later because we don't have cable). She had a red Outlook that I really liked and I told hubby I wanted to go drive one...well we weren't in the market quite yet so we never really went. Then she got the new car in another episode and I was like "honey, she got a new car...and it looks almost identical to the other one" :D. That's when I realized that they stopped making the Outlooks and now making the Acadia's. I of course drove one when making my decision on a car, lol.

I also forgot to say that I drove the Enclave too. It handles exactly like the Acadia (they are almost identical, but the Buick had a bigger price tag). But every time I think of Buick, I think "Old People Car" :tongue_smilie:. Dh thinks "Luxury" and wanted that one. I didn't. I wanted the Sportier version of it and thus we bought the Acadia. I will say though that he totally digs my car and drove it to work today. He likes my XM radio and my cooled seats :D

I'm not afraid of the Traverse being big because I've driven 3 Suburbans. I AM a bit concerned about blind spots, because I'm in a Grand Caravan with no blind spots. I did realize the Traverse was bigger than the others, but I really love the look of it.

I'm in a position where I would still enjoy the size, but I don't have to have it. My kids are grown, and some married and gone. The others have their own cars. I just don't know if I'm quite ready to go to a 5-sweater, but would really only need a third row as a just in case.

ETA: Just realized I typed 5-sweater and not 5-seater! Lol

Edited by StaceyinLA

Having gone from a series of Expeditions to a Traverse, then to a Suburban in the last few months (see above), if you are use to the blind spots of the Suburban, you will have absolutely no problem with the Traverse. The Traverse has side mirrors with little built in mirror 'blind spot' mirrors which I found very beneficial. I guess going down from driving Expeditions long term, I just didn't 'feel' a blind spot issue. But going back UP to this Suburban, there is such a HUGE blind spot over the passenger second row I have felt nervous for the first time in my life. I guess it doesn't hurt that I actually learned to drive on one of those big customized vans, curtains and all :)

Edited by zimom
Can't write a sentence at 4 am

I drive a Saturn Outlook which is basically the same as the Traverse and Acadia. I completely agree with the previous posters about parking and blind spots.

I love my car, BUT we have had a few problems with it. All covered by warranty, but it has been frustrating. We occasionally talk about trading it in, but there isn't anything on the market we can afford that we would like better.

We drove it in bad snow on purpose to see how it would handle. It was wonderful. I feel safe in the car. Everyone that rides in my car comments how quiet it is. My mom drives a Honda CRV and she likes my ride better.

It gets terrible gas mileage in town. On the freeway it isn't so bad. My 17 year old son hates driving it. It is not a car for the beginning driver. If we know we are going to be in tight parking spots, we squeeze into my husband's Mazda 3.

One more thing: we almost had to take out a small loan to replace the tires. Painful! They are not standard tires, and we couldn't find any tire shop that carried them in store. They ordered them for us. It was fine. I think as more people start driving these cars and need new tires there will be more choices, but until then...

Still, even with the drawbacks, I love driving the car. The third row seat is more comfortable than any other SUV we tried. It was important for us to be able to use that seat.

This review is all over the place, but I wanted to chime in. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Tressa
One more thing

The Mazda 9 got a VERY high rating in Consumer Report magazine :) My dh was trying to get me to trade in my suv (Chevy Trailblazer) for it because of the third row seat LOL

I have a Mazda cx9 and love it. The third row seat was what sold me on it.

We drive an Acura MDX and love, love, love it. I have to say, though that ours is 10 years old and I don't think some of the changes made to the newer models are good ones. And then there's the price tag on the new ones. Ouch!

If we look for something new, we will be looking for a Honda Pilot. It is essentially the same car. 10 years ago, when we were buying the Acura, Dh (the driver) liked the MDX much better than the Pilot, but now the changes to the MDX and the Pilot have made the Pilot feel like the MDX we fell in love with.

Amber in SJ

I'm not going to be any help here, but I was just wondering what it was you did NOT like about the Highlander? That, the Honda Pilot and the Traverse are what we're really looking at right now.

:bigear: The Pilot and the Highlander are the two we're thinking about. I like my little CRV, but we need a wee bit more dog crate space.

Dang. I have a new Highlander and ADORE it. Hope you find something you love as much. :)

The thing I didn't like about the Highlander was the size. We are a tall family and didn't fit well in it. Even the older Pilots were too small. The new Pilots seem to have as much leg room as my Suburban. I Brought my very TALL son to the lot to have him sit in the middle seat to make sure it was big enough.

I have the captains chairs in mine. It is so nice not to be moving seats back and forth or kids climbing over them like they used to in the suburban.

It's funny... it was cheaper to get the Denali than it was to get a fully loaded regular Acadia. We travel a lot and having a tv has been fun, lol!

I LOVE the option of captains in the middle. They weren't an option in the 2011. It us mostly just dh and the two dd's so it is ok. We rarely use the third row now.

Would have loved to buy the Sequoia! But at 12 miles to the gallon...no thanks. I was attempting to choose something with a little better gas mileage than the Suburban.

I just have to add here that I drive a 2003 4WD Sequoia and get 22-24 MPG on the highway.

I get 18-20 in town.

:auto:

Carry on!

I'm not going to be any help here, but I was just wondering what it was you did NOT like about the Highlander? That, the Honda Pilot and the Traverse are what we're really looking at right now.

Mine was an '03 model that was in like new condition when we bought it - still smelled new. At the time it was really too small (they've definitely been bumped up in size). When driving on the interstate, I just felt like it wasn't stable. It shook when larger vehicles passed me. Of course, the larger size of the newer models may have eliminated that issue.

wow, seriously?...the sticker i was looking at, i must have read wrong, thats better than what i get in my acadia

My Traverse averages about 21 mpg. Do you have the AWD? That would kinda wreck your mpg rating...

I have FWD, and if I can drive that through Michigan winters, a 4WD/AWD would certainly not be needed in the south just for hauling people.

Edited by darlasowders
*mpg - 21 miles per second would not be very fuel efficient...

My Traverse averages about 21 mps. Do you have the AWD? That would kinda wreck your mpg rating...

I have FWD, and if I can drive that through Michigan winters, a 4WD/AWD would certainly not be needed in the south just for hauling people.

Agreed. My Outlook is AWD. We bought in when we were living in WA to deal with the snow. It handles great! Then my husband transferred to SC. Don't need the AWD anymore and it is tough on the gas mileage.

Dang. I have a new Highlander and ADORE it. Hope you find something you love as much. :)

:iagree:

I looked at and test drove nearly a dozen midsize SUVs. The only one I liked as well as the Highlander was the Acura MDX, but I wouldn't pay the difference in price.

After looking at the highlander and the MDX, I hated all the American made SUVs, Chevy and Ford. They felt so cheap and stiff, I just couldn't go back.

Good luck finding the one that is the right fit for you. I went to a used truck lot that had tons of SUV choices and saw them all in one place, then went and looked at more of those that I liked. We did buy used, not new.

[quote name=Momto2Ns;

After looking at the highlander and the MDX' date=' I hated all the American made SUVs, Chevy and Ford. They felt so cheap and stiff, I just couldn't go [/quote]

we were crazy enough to consider another Suburban even though our first one, bought brand new, was an unreliable money pit that had to be towed right out of my garage TWICE before it ever hit 100,000 miles! The thing I hate about American made SUVS besides the maintenance/reliability issues is that they don't drive like a CAR. The last Suburban we looked at was going to cost 57k :svengo: and it felt like I was literally driving a boat. The 2011 Pilot is SO much nicer to drive and is SO comfortable! It handles so well. And it is MUCH, MUCH easier to find a parking space to fit it.

wow, seriously?...the sticker i was looking at, i must have read wrong, thats better than what i get in my acadia

Seriously! It's true! I am careful to accelerate slowly and the type of tires makes a difference. I just thought of something else...we almost never use air conditioning. Our Sequoia is an '03 with 160k miles on it, is 4WD and is a V8.

I have to have 4WD and decent ground clearance. We get 200" of snow per year and live in a rural area with bad dirt roads and lots of steep hills. AWD is not enough for us. It would leave me stranded (ask me how I know....).

And as a disclaimer: we *always* do better than the sticker ratings.

Have fun shopping! :001_smile:

Seriously! It's true! I am careful to accelerate slowly and the type of tires makes a difference. I just thought of something else...we almost never use air conditioning. Our Sequoia is an '03 with 160k miles on it, is 4WD and is a V8.

I have to have 4WD and decent ground clearance. We get 200" of snow per year and live in a rural area with bad dirt roads and lots of steep hills. AWD is not enough for us. It would leave me stranded (ask me how I know....).

Good grief! Sounds like a 4WD kinda place. :tongue_smilie:

LOL...weeeell, I'm not always so careful with accelerating :tongue_smilie:. I do have all wheel. But we travel all over and living in south Louisiana...we have our A/C running quite often :glare:

But i bought mine because I liked it :D. It does get better gas mileage than my suburban did so I guess that's a plus :tongue_smilie:

LOL...weeeell, I'm not always so careful with accelerating :tongue_smilie:. I do have all wheel. But we travel all over and living in south Louisiana...we have our A/C running quite often :glare:

But i bought mine because I liked it :D. It does get better gas mileage than my suburban did so I guess that's a plus :tongue_smilie:

Yes! That is a plus. I think the A/C thing is a big deal, the more I analyze it. It would cost me...what? 2 or 3 MPG to run it? That's significant. And, we have lots less traffic around here. It's safe for me to accelerate slowly. That's not the case most places, I'd guess.

Good grief! Sounds like a 4WD kinda place. :tongue_smilie:

I know. :tongue_smilie: My husband loves it here.

Sorry to hijack...

:auto: