Menu

CC... Wanted: Book about how to let God's love heal you from past hurts/abandonment

I've had a lot of big realizations lately about how I'm still broken from childhood stuff I wish I was over... infidelity on both parents' parts, dad who left, mom who treated me as a peer and was emotionally absent in terms of supporting me, etc. I'm seeing ways I still unhealthily look for approval/affection/acceptance from others rather than being whole in Christ and able to really love others from a place of satisfaction in Him. I don't know if this is making sense, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm seeing I am more "messed up" than I realized and I need help. In the past, I have dismissed all books that weren't by certain types of heavy-hitting authors (like Piper, Keller, Bridges, etc) as "fluff" or psycho-babble. But I think I need to broaden my mind in terms of what might help me work through stuff. I still want it to be biblically sound, but I'm not as suspicious of touchy-feely as I once was. I have a sense that I need to experience God's love in deep ways that I think I never have.

So... if you have a painful past, and there's a book that helped you work through it (esp. a book that looks to Jesus/the Bible as the ultimate source of healing), I would love to know what it is! Thanks.

:grouphug: I've been there...recently. If I may encourage you...you CAN find healing and you are looking in the right place or TO the right ONE should I say? :) Here are a few books which I found VERY helpful in my journey to healing.

Lies We Believe by Dr. Chris Thurman (especially helpful to combat the LIES that have been planted in our head by the enemy through other people...even our parents)

I'm Not Good Enough...and Other Lies Women Tell Themselves by Sharon Jaynes (same sort of thing)

Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend (or those of us who grew up w/out them, had parents who didn't have them, etc.)

The Healing Path by Dr. Dan Allender (awesome!). Allender also wrote The Wounded Heart (hope for childhood victims of s*xual abuse which is another good one if you fall into that category (may of us do and don't realize it)

The Confident Woman by Anabel Gillham (about knowing you are in Christ)

Oh, and Changes That Heal also by Cloud and Townsend (very, very good book and very helpful)

That should get you started! Hang in there...you are on a good path...hard...but good! Feel free to PM me if you need encouragement on your journey. :D

Edited by Sue G in PA
added something

I've had a lot of big realizations lately about how I'm still broken from childhood stuff I wish I was over... infidelity on both parents' parts, dad who left, mom who treated me as a peer and was emotionally absent in terms of supporting me, etc. I'm seeing ways I still unhealthily look for approval/affection/acceptance from others rather than being whole in Christ and able to really love others from a place of satisfaction in Him. I don't know if this is making sense, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm seeing I am more "messed up" than I realized and I need help. In the past, I have dismissed all books that weren't by certain types of heavy-hitting authors (like Piper, Keller, Bridges, etc) as "fluff" or psycho-babble. But I think I need to broaden my mind in terms of what might help me work through stuff. I still want it to be biblically sound, but I'm not as suspicious of touchy-feely as I once was. I have a sense that I need to experience God's love in deep ways that I think I never have.

So... if you have a painful past, and there's a book that helped you work through it (esp. a book that looks to Jesus/the Bible as the ultimate source of healing), I would love to know what it is! Thanks.

Wounded Heart by Dan Allender. It's mostly about sexual abuse, but is applicable to all kinds of past hurts.

Facing Codependence by Pia Mellody was a book that my (Christian) counselor recommended to me... not an outwardly Christian book, but one that definitely honors the role of the Lord in the healing process. It really changed my whole outlook and understanding of myself. I had a similar past as yours, from what it sounds. Feel free to PM me anytime. :grouphug:

Edited by babysparkler