Menu

Has anyone else ditched their purses?

Years ago, I ditched my purse. I was going from one medical appointment to another so often that I needed my calendar with me and my son's medical papers. So, I ditched my purse and went to a Dayrunner binder.

I love my Dayrunner, it is red leather and I have it set up just for me! I can carry all my cards, money, my calendar and medical info all at my finger tips.

Anyone else crazy like me?

I could never give up a purse entirely since I carry a small wallet, keys, phone, lipstick, and gum. Plus, I love a good handbag. However, I've recently gone to crossbody bags, which seem to be all over the place and are super convenient for when I'm running errands while holding a child's hand, or need both hands to carry something. I also love my crossbody bags for grocery shopping because I can leave the cart and go look for something in the aisle without worrying my purse is going to be stolen from the basket.

I use a Fossil coin purse similar to this. I carry keys, drivers licence, credit card, car insurance, cash, so when I'm ready to leave the house, it's all there. I started carrying a coin purse instead of a regular purse when I had back pain and haven't gone back to a regular purse since.

I have never carried a purse (I'm 45). I usually wear pants with back pockets, and I keep my important cards and a bit of emergency cash in a back-pocket wallet. Sometimes I keep a pocket comb in the other, and some tissues, ponytail, and keys in the front pockets. When I can't wear that many pockets (e.g. I'm at church or wearing a business suit), I keep stuff in my car or, if necessary, carry a slim portfolio.

When I was pregnant with my first, I switched to a super-thin wallet (mine is made by All-Ett) so I wouldn't have to switch my wallet and keys from purse to diaper bag, or carry both. (I worked part-time for a while after dd was born so sometimes needed a diaper bag and sometimes didn't.) I only have my keys and wallet in my pockets. During the winter I keep chapstick in my coat pocket. Cell phone stays in the car.

I don't think I'll go back to carrying a purse after I ditch the diaper bag, but I could see myself using a tote for carrying books and other school things. Right now we're doing all our schooling at home, though, so there's not much need.

I've actually recently went to a larger purse. I started carrying my dslr with me all the time since I was constantly wishing that I had it with me to take pictures of whatever the girls were doing. Prior to that my camera lived in the camera bag and rarely made it out with me other than for "specal occasions". I love my new camera purse!

I carry a Vera Bradley wristlet. It holds my ID, debit card, insurance cards, lipgloss, pen, keys, gum, an cell phone.

I found if I carried a purse I had the tendency to lug around everything except the kitchen sink. I don't miss it either.

Same here, but a Coach wristlet (slightly smaller than the VBs). And my calendar and medical stuff are on my phone.

I could do that, except that I must have somewhere to keep sunglasses and reading glasses. The sunglasses are not fashion excessories; they are a necessity, as even walking from the car to a building in the bright sun almost blinds me. :-(

I do use as small a purse as possible, preferably one with slots and whatnot so I don't need a separate wallet, and that is a cross-body design.

I like the idea of having being purse-free, but there are some very important items I wouldn't feel comfortable being without, such as my first aid kit.

I carry a medium sized purse, which at the moment holds:

First Aid Kit (Level 2, includes hemostatic & extra medications, too many things to list)

Folding Scissors

Lighter

Mini Compass

Knife

Mini Multi-Tool

Flashlight

Wet Wipes

Disposable No-Water Toothbrushes (love these)

Tampon (I don't wear them, but other women might need one & they're useful for wound dressing)

Universal Solar Charger (phone, iPod, etc.)

Travel Tissues

Gum

Sunglasses

iPod

Phone (this is my planner)

Hair Bands

Pen & Mini Post It Notes

Alcohol Wipes

Flash Drive (usually has pictures for me to print at Walmart, sometimes important files)

Granola Bar & Suckers (keeps kids quiet)

Lip Balm

Keys

Wallet

I also sometimes conceal carry in my purse. I know it sounds like a lot, but my purse isn't that big -- just well organized. I guess I'm the opposite side of your coin!

I flip-flop back and forth between small purses and large purses based on what my mood is. Sometimes I "need" things, other times I don't want to be bothered. But I can't carry something that I can't throw over my shoulder or stick in a pocket because I would just forget it places (I left my entire clutch size wallet in the top basket of a shopping cart once). I think I finally hit on something that is working for me. My mother made me a purse (I'll try to add a picture) that I love - it's a cool vintage pattern, has two large outside pockets plus a small one on the handle, 5 big pockets and one pen pocket on the inside. I use one outside pocket for tissues (allergy season) and the other for change for shopping carts and for my keys and phone when I'm not in the car. My tablet will also fit in there, if I'm carrying it around. One of the inside ones is a different material than the others and that's the one I always put my wallet in so I can pick it out easily. I also have to carry medications, pads/liners, checkbook... In the main area I carry my sunglasses in a case, a book and.....a tiny little purse that has a very long cross-body strap and will hold only id, credit card, keys and phone. I can pull that out anytime I'm going to be walking around and don't want to carry my big purse and I don't have any pockets (which happens a lot when I wear leggings or a skirt).

IMG_0290.jpg

I have always hated carrying purses and pretty much avoided them. But this past Christmas I got this for a trip to Disney and now I am fine carrying it with me. It's so comfortable and I just pull it around to the front when I need something. It's also cushiony enough to use almost as a pillow for my back when I am in the car. :001_smile: I have one that is really bright pink.

ETA: Actually I have the purple one shown but it is actually bright pink in person.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/atom-sling-pack?p=48259-0-113

I've carried this for the past few years. I hated always losing my keys.

http://www.ebags.com/product/clava/id-keychain-wallet-colors/59709?productid=1022470

If I need a bigger pursue then I have one with extras and just dump the cell phone and wallet into it.

But now that I see the wristlet that might solve the problem of carrying two items (wallet and iPhone). It definitely looks more polished and professional. Hmmmm maybe the coach one could be a treat to myself for such a great year of homeschooling.

Someday I will no longer need to schlep around a diaper bag, but I've been carrying one for almost a full decade :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Over a decade here. On the RARE occasion that I go out without the children, it feels weird to have a purse. It just feels so tiny. :) Actually, sometimes I just grab my wallet, phone, and keys and skip the purse altogether. But then I end up carrying everything if I don't have pockets. So, after I'm done with diaper bags, I imagine I'll still use a bag of some sort.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I just keep a couple of bills, a driver's license, and, when needed, a credit card in my back pocket.

Claire in NM

This is me a lot of the time. My small wallet lives in my car and I will sometimes just bring it in. When I don't want to have to keep up with that, I just throw a little money and my ID in my pocket or... shhh... my bra works well too.

:) Beachy

I don't carry a purse or diaper bag at the moment. Dd has been pt'd for over a year now so no need for me. Often I will leave the diaper bag in the car as well, unless the baby is super small and I plan on being inside somewhere an extended time. As of now I have a wallet and keys with me. I wouldn't mind a small over the shoulder tote but then again w/ a baby I often use the ergo and keep what I need in the pocket.

I don't carry one. Cash or debit card in back pocket, lip gloss in front pocket, phone (finally broke down and got a cell) in front pocket. Keys in front pocket too. What would go in a purse? My adult daughter who lives with me carries a huge (to me) purse plus a diaper bag.....looks to me like a lot of paper and junk in there. I'm almost afraid of it....she has a cell phone that does things that scare me also. Sometimes it speaks......creepy.

I do sometimes take my knitting, or my kindle or my very small laptop somewhere, and I have a cloth pouchy type bag for that. Maybe that is my purse....Library cards are in the kindle case along with my drivers license (probably should carry that but oh well).

I generally carry a camera bag (small one, not the professional photographer type :)). It holds two diapers and a plastic bag of wipes, keys, my phone, and cards/money.

If we plan to be out all day or I need to carry more, I'll carry a bigger bag and drop the small bag in it. It really helps me to just have everything in one place. However, if I have a bigger bag on a regular basis, it will end up filled with six changes of clothing, 10 paperbacks, too small diapers, 13 empty chapstck tubes, and rotting apples.