Menu

Crank style popcorn poppers

I have always been interested in how those work too. I just use an old Revere Ware stock pot and a lid of course. I put enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I put in one or two kernels of corn and when they pop I add in the desired amount of corn. While the corn is popping I gently slide the pot around a bit so that it does not burn. This method always makes yummy popcorn.

I have always been interested in how those work too. I just use an old Revere Ware stock pot and a lid of course. I put enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I put in one or two kernels of corn and when they pop I add in the desired amount of corn. While the corn is popping I gently slide the pot around a bit so that it does not burn. This method always makes yummy popcorn.

I can't use the pot like that, as my stove top is glass. That's why I'm looking at the cranks, as you don't have to slide them around.

Are the crank style poppers hard to clean? :bigear:

This is our exact method also...even Revere Ware and two test kernels. :D

I can't use the pot like that, as my stove top is glass. That's why I'm looking at the cranks, as you don't have to slide them around.

Yeah, mine is too, but it is 9 years old and scratched a bit so I just go for it;)

I think I'll put the whirly pop on my Christmas list this year. We have popcorn several times a week here.

I had gotten one of those Orville Redenbacher stirring poppers but it has a non-stick surface that comes off after a few uses....yuck.

There's no need to slide the pot around. I put a good amount of coconut oil in, let it melt fully on high, pour in enough kernels to fully cover the bottom and put the lid on and leave it. In less than a minute the popping starts and and as soon as it stops I turn off the burner, take off the top and pour it into the bowl. We've been making it this way for years and it's great every time. The key is not leaving the popcorn in the pot after it's stopped popping. :lurk5:

This is what I do too. Though I did just burn some this afternoon. I did not put quite enough oil in it I think. But it is much cheaper than microwave, and I don't have to store a popper of any kind.

We were traditional pot-and-oil popcorn people for a long time. Then we succumbed to the ease of microwave popcorn for a long time but we were never happy with the taste (or aftertaste). We bought a Whirly Pop around Christmas and we'll never go back! It's so easy, tastes great and is more economical. It's been great!

You might make this face: :ack2: ....

There was a book on nutrition we read and it had a section devoted to the nastiness of microwave popcorn....

Cured us of ever buying the stuff...

We use a regular stainless steel pot with 2 T. of coconut oil and popcorn. We cook it on the top of our glass range. Like the other poster, we don't shake the pot. We just listen for the last pop and dump into a bowl. Season with nutritional yeast --- YUM!

This is exactly what I do, with coconut oil. Sometimes I toss in some sugar to make kettle corn.

I have a stainless Back to Basics brand I got from Target several years ago. The popcorn is the best!

That brand was rated pretty well on Amazon. I think it had to do with it being both stainless and not have plastic knobs.

There's no need to slide the pot around. I put a good amount of coconut oil in, let it melt fully on high, pour in enough kernels to fully cover the bottom and put the lid on and leave it. In less than a minute the popping starts and and as soon as it stops I turn off the burner, take off the top and pour it into the bowl. We've been making it this way for years and it's great every time. The key is not leaving the popcorn in the pot after it's stopped popping. :lurk5:

:iagree: I don't generally slide the pot around when making popcorn on my stovetop in a regular pot. I find my batches come out better if I let the oil heat up very slowly, but I think that has to do with the type of oil I use.

My current set of pot lids are shaped in such a way that they cause moisture to fall from the lid onto the popcorn, so I bought a microwave popper bowl. I try not to use the microwave too frequently, but it is even easier than using a pot on the stove and the popper is dishwasher safe. It's microwave popcorn without the nasty hydrogenated oils and other weird ingredients. I have this one.

I have a whirrly pop...and I love it. It is fast and easy. I like being able to add whatever kind of oil I want too. You can even take it camping with you and use it over the camp fire. Very fun!!!

:iagree:

I use ours 3-4 times a week. Super fast and easy. Perfect every time and easy to clean. Highly recommend!!