Menu

Kid birthday invitatations..........!!!!!!

OK so we got one invite for a kid party from this family.....

We shopped at the dollar store, he went, and he had a blast. It was the very first invitation ds received. He'd been wanting to experience the whole "Going to a birthday party" thang.

Yesterday I got two invitations for a kid party from the same family..... Actually it was one invite, but it was for two of my kids. Am I supposed to

1. buy one gift from both of my kids?

2. buy two separate gifts from each of my kids?

3. decline because we met that quota in the last 30 days.

4. smile and shop ahead for the next invite. This family has 8 kids.

My girls have had The Birthday Party experience already. Not going wouldn't diminish their socialization. Declining would be a foray into the whole, "All God's Children have a budget!" realm.

WWYD?

Birthday parties are fun. If they fit our schedule, we go. When the kids were younger, we loved giving birthday parties and attending parties. I would usually spend a bit more & have the gift be from both kids if they were both invited, rather than two less expensive gifts.

I would send two separate gifts. Some gifts that are easy and inexpensive for girls~sunglasses, hair accessories from Claire's, crazy toe socks, assorted nail polish, colored pencils and Dover coloring books, etc.

My girls have given and received all of the above and they were always big hits.

This happens to us regularly because we also are friends with a large family. I usually buy one gift but spend a bit more if it's from 2 or all 3 of my boys. However, that just what I do, I don't feel there's any expectation from the other family in any way.

On the flip side my sons are great friends with 2 brothers from a different family. We always invite both boys to my boys' parties but have absoutely no expecation for a more expensive gift, double gifts, or even any gift at all. Our kids are just good friends and the party wouldn't be complete without them here.

OK so we got one invite for a kid party from this family.....

We shopped at the dollar store, he went, and he had a blast. It was the very first invitation ds received. He'd been wanting to experience the whole "Going to a birthday party" thang.

Yesterday I got two invitations for a kid party from the same family..... Actually it was one invite, but it was for two of my kids. Am I supposed to

1. buy one gift from both of my kids?

2. buy two separate gifts from each of my kids?

3. decline because we met that quota in the last 30 days.

4. smile and shop ahead for the next invite. This family has 8 kids.

My girls have had The Birthday Party experience already. Not going wouldn't diminish their socialization. Declining would be a foray into the whole, "All God's Children have a budget!" realm.

WWYD?

If it were me?

I'd help my boys pick out a gift and send them to the party. You can do one gift or two, either way. And you can spend $1 on the gift or $100. There's really no rules about it.

To me, if my kids have friends who want to invite them to a party, and it fits in our schedule, we go. The price of a gift is never a reason to skip a party, IMO. You can get him something for $1 if you need to. The whole point of a party is to have fun!

When we invite multiple children from one family to a party, I assume the gift is from the family. I would not expect my friends with 3 children to bring 3 separate gifts. Pretty much all of our birthday parties are attended by friends and family with multiple children these days.

I give my kids a $ amount that i feel comfortable spending and let them decide if they want one bigger thing from both or 2 smaller things from each. My daughter will often make things or pick a stuffed animal from her collection for special friends, if she wants to add something extra.

I agree with the above. I also suggest building up a stash of presents. I go to Target after holidays and during clearance sales and stock up on inexpensive, not-holiday specific toy/craft/beauty items-things like small lego sets, flavored chapstick, small craft and science sets (Steve Spangler ones seem to be very common in the Target impulse section, and I swear I'm the ONLY one who buys them, because there are always a ton left). In the next weeks, as school supplies go on sale, until after Labor Day when they're reduced to 50% off, I'll stock up on crayons, markers, colored pencils, small notebooks, fancy erasers, and the like. Dover does frequent sales online where I buy activity and sticker books at well under list price as well. When DD gets an invitation, she can simply go to the closet and pick something out-and a pack of Crayola markers, a notebook, and a Dover sticker book only ends up costing me about $2 total, but ends up looking like a nice gift in, say, March!

Subway kids meal bags are great gift bags for kids' gifts :). Usually we end up at Subway enough to end up with enough of the reusable lunch bags to cover DD's invites for the year.

I agree with the above. I also suggest building up a stash of presents. I go to Target after holidays and during clearance sales and stock up on inexpensive, not-holiday specific toy/craft/beauty items-things like small lego sets, flavored chapstick, small craft and science sets (Steve Spangler ones seem to be very common in the Target impulse section, and I swear I'm the ONLY one who buys them, because there are always a ton left). In the next weeks, as school supplies go on sale, until after Labor Day when they're reduced to 50% off, I'll stock up on crayons, markers, colored pencils, small notebooks, fancy erasers, and the like. Dover does frequent sales online where I buy activity and sticker books at well under list price as well. When DD gets an invitation, she can simply go to the closet and pick something out-and a pack of Crayola markers, a notebook, and a Dover sticker book only ends up costing me about $2 total, but ends up looking like a nice gift in, say, March!

Subway kids meal bags are great gift bags for kids' gifts :). Usually we end up at Subway enough to end up with enough of the reusable lunch bags to cover DD's invites for the year.

Unemployment has depleted the gift box. That provided Christmas & birthdays this year. Haven't been able to replenish it yet. Probably the source of my feelings about this.

If it works for your schedule and you want to go, then go. If it doesn't, that's ok too. I don't stress over missing birthday parties for friends kids anymore. Not everything is going to work out!

I'd send them with one gift myself unless your kids were actually in favor of 2 seperate small things. They could each make a card though - that is always nice!

Unemployment has depleted the gift box. That provided Christmas & birthdays this year. Haven't been able to replenish it yet. Probably the source of my feelings about this.

Some of our friends got into wanting to give environmentally friendly gifts. They had three girls and let people know that they would love to have a gift that was edible or biodegradable. One friend made a giant cookie and decorated it with icing. Another made six cupcakes. I am not sure what else they got. I think an edible gift that is homemade is a lovely gift. How many kids get their very own batch of cookies or tin of cupcakes?

We always make our own cards and we often make our own wrapping paper. For wrapping paper we use sheets of newsprint and the kids paint them. One year we did potato stamping to create our paper.

When we were unemployed, our friends understood and asked us to come and not bring a gift. My daughter was able to find creative ways to make gifts. We've also been on the receiving end of homemade gifts made by children. It's very sweet. Go and enjoy the fun and friendship. :001_smile:

If you get a gift, you need only get one and say it is from your family. Both my boys are generally invited to parties and I only ever get one gift. And, you don't have to give a gift. An invitation to a party is just that. It isn't a gift request. Sometimes I have just plain forgot to buy a gift for the party. Everyone survived.

If you were my friend, and I knew you were unemployed, I would NOT want you to bring a gift. I would have invited you because my kids adore your kids and I want to see you. Gosh, I would feel terrible if you didn't come because you felt obligated to bring a gift.

Depending on the age of the child, a simple bottle of bubbles for .50 makes a great gift. I know my kids would love that.

Well, I'm sure the parents don't really want or expect a pile of gifts for their kids. It's often stuff you don't want or need, so they'd probably be thrilled to have less of that. And their kids won't notice. Or you could get a couple of things that go together and wrap them together. Like coloring book and crayons (if kids are young) or something that would work for older kids that goes together.

When we invite multiple children from one family to a party, I assume the gift is from the family. I would not expect my friends with 3 children to bring 3 separate gifts. Pretty much all of our birthday parties are attended by friends and family with multiple children these days.

:iagree:

I don't like to mention gifts at all on the invites, but I've seriously considered going 'no-gift' for my kids parties. Several of our friends are now/have been struggling financially and my kids are honestly just more excited about having ALL their friends over at once to play than they are about the gifts. One year, a friend who was *really* struggling dropped her two sons off. They brought a big box of Nerds (like a 1.00 movie-sized box you can get at Target or Wal-Mart) and a birthday card and my son was every bit as tickled with that as he was with the other gifts. If people call/text and ask directly what the kid will like, I do make it clear that they don't have to bring a gift.

If it were me?

I'd help my boys pick out a gift and send them to the party. You can do one gift or two, either way. And you can spend $1 on the gift or $100. There's really no rules about it.

To me, if my kids have friends who want to invite them to a party, and it fits in our schedule, we go. The price of a gift is never a reason to skip a party, IMO. You can get him something for $1 if you need to. The whole point of a party is to have fun!

:iagree:

Some of our friends got into wanting to give environmentally friendly gifts. They had three girls and let people know that they would love to have a gift that was edible or biodegradable. One friend made a giant cookie and decorated it with icing. Another made six cupcakes. I am not sure what else they got. I think an edible gift that is homemade is a lovely gift. How many kids get their very own batch of cookies or tin of cupcakes?

We always make our own cards and we often make our own wrapping paper. For wrapping paper we use sheets of newsprint and the kids paint them. One year we did potato stamping to create our paper.

I'll have them make a card and a word search puzzle for their friend. That's doable.

Baking cookies is on hold until grocery day. No butter. I have some coconut oil still but I don't want to use it up. But it's a great idea.

Edited by CalicoKat

Homemade bubbles? A squirt of dish soap and few drops of food coloring in water?

Maybe the materials and instructions for Rainbow Bubble Snakes?

http://www.housingaforest.com/rainbow-bubble-snakes/#.T-xEfDQo68c.facebook

I would likely welcome the opportunity to let my kids get out and about and have fun with friends. I am positive the invite is not about a gift.

Homemade bubbles? A squirt of dish soap and few drops of food coloring in water?

Maybe the materials and instructions for Rainbow Bubble Snakes?

http://www.housingaforest.com/rainbow-bubble-snakes/#.T-xEfDQo68c.facebook

I would likely welcome the opportunity to let my kids get out and about and have fun with friends. I am positive the invite is not about a gift.

Good idea. The birthday girl is turning 13. Maybe we could give her some toiletries of her own. I've got soap, toothpaste, and a new B.O stick. Or is that tacky?

Good idea. The birthday girl is turning 13. Maybe we could give her some toiletries of her own. I've got soap, toothpaste, and a new B.O stick. Or is that tacky?

Instead of toiletries, I might look for a bottle of nail polish.

• 7 months later...

I would graciously buy a bigger gift for your two children to share.

However, I think we need to STOP THE MADNESS, and that starts with everyone here who is tired of sending gifts to birthday parties.

1) When we have parties, we specifically list "No Gifts" on the invitations. My children have plenty of toys in our house already, and get many gifts from their parents. Most people I know have at least some of their kids' toys packed away because their kids have so many material goods. (Our household is included in that assessment).

2) If my children want a party to be with their friends and celebrate their birthday (or graduation, or Confirmation, or whatever), then we will invite people to come an eat a piece of cake in honor our our child. If my children want people to bring them a pile of swag, then save your money and take yourself to the store. We don't like our friends for what they can buy us.

3) I don't want an invitation to my child's special day to be like a getting a bill in the mail for other families. It is rare that items given at these parties are stuff "needed" by the child. When is the last time you saw a child receive (not from a family member) clothing, safety equipment for a sport, or a reference book?

4) We give consumables for birthday gifts. Usually a nice set of markers or crayons, and possibly some oversized or otherwise special drawing paper. Playdoh for younger kids. It makes it easy to give the exact same thing next year, and they will wear out and not clutter up the house within a finite amount of time.

5) Some moms I know who are good friends have the blatant agreement to buy clothing for each others' kids for birthdays. This is at least useful as children grow to a larger size.