Menu

Do you have plans for your rising 4th grader that you're excited about??

Alicia64

I feel very blah about our upcoming year -- and I love homeschooling! I don't want to feel blah.

Here's what we're doing. None of it is that new or mind blowing:

Math: we moved from Math U See to Teaching Textbooks (kids love it; hope it's working)

Spelling Workout (been doing it for years)

Lively Latin (tough going; we do a "Latin bite" a day to keep it from being overwhelming).

Story of the World -- we should be on book 4, but will be finishing up book 3 until October or so.

Cursive -- Handwriting without Tears. Been doing it for over a year.

Writing with Ease -- been doing for years.

First Language Lessons -- get to it at least once a week. Been doing for two years.

Extracurriculars include: Shakespeare theater class taught for their age. Ice skating. Hopefully piano this year for both even though one prefers flute. SWB says everyone should have two yrs. of piano.

I read aloud a lot and love it. The boys read on their own too.

I know our curricula is strong. I just don't feel jazzed and excited like I once did.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!!

Thanks

Alley

I feel very blah about our upcoming year -- and I love homeschooling! I don't want to feel blah.

I know our curricula is strong. I just don't feel jazzed and excited like I once did.

Alley,

My oldest is going into 4th too. :001_smile: It's kind of exciting but starting to get intimidating. The older they get, the more real and serious this all seems to me. Your curriculum choices are sound and you've got great extracurriculars. It does seem like most of the excitement is in the extracurriculars though.

Do they like language? WWE/FLL definitely get the job done but they are kind of blah (and I use WWE and dabble in Voyages in English, so that's me commiserating, not being judgmental :tongue_smilie:). Would your boys appreciate letting loose with writing or doing something creative? How about NaNoWriMo or doing something like Rip the Page? I just bought the book for all three of my kids and we are going to do it together, as a group. Oh, something I just bought for next year is Don't Forget to Write. I am loving this! We also keep journals, science notebooks, and we'll be starting a Waldorf style Main Lesson Book for history this year. We do a great deal of writing here, but most of it is for some other purpose besides writing (so they think, anyway! ;)). Something like the BraveWriter Lifestyle or MCTLA could be lots of fun for you guys. WWE is a work horse here but these other things are the reason my kids enjoy writing.

Do you do projects for history? We add on art and music appreciation, lots of projects, science, math, recipes, etc. that liven it up. You're in a great era for adding in some fun science tie-ins. Speaking of science, I didn't see anything at all for the subject. Do you have a science curriculum? Here, science is the subject where the kids have the most fun, as we do inquiry and they largely control the entire process. Notebooks, experiments, research, lots of reading... If you're interested, I can tell you how we do inquiry science and you can let them run with it.

Also, nature study could be good for you. Using something like The Nature Connection would give you a guide. Last year, we methodically studied our own local area and made a family field guide. This year we will do this again, as we've moved and everything will be new and different. Your boys are old enough to do a really good job with this. If they like to draw, I highly recommend How to Keep a Naturalist's Notebook. Otherwise, let them use a camera. Then they can download the pictures to the computer and make a nice, polished field guide using a publishing program on the computer.

So, long story short, I guess supplements are the way I keep the blahs away. :lol:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

We're trying out MCT Island and maybe a little bit of Intermediate Language Lessons for English instead of our "regular" program (Galore Park) - of course I still have that on hand too, to add some variety and familiarity if we need it. I've found that we need some variety throughout the year or we burn out. Maybe you could add in a unit study every few weeks or so, like one of the Intellego science units, since you didn't mention what, if anything, you're using for science.

We just switched to Michael Clay Thompson for grammar, and it is very cool.

Let him read Penrose the Mathematical Cat by Theoni Pappas for fun with math, and/or turn him loose on Khan Academy to pursue whatever he wishes.

Toss in an election 2-week unit study from Hands of a Child or somewhere to help him learn about the upcoming presidential race, or a 2-week study on gardening or outdoor survival or first aid or something randomly fun. Cooking skills can be a fun break in the routine at this age.

I don't see any science in your curriculum. Some folks don't bother in grammar stage, but staking out some time to learn tree identification, animal tracks, the night sky, kitchen chemistry, or something can add some spark to your day. You could do Snap Circuits or try the stuff at Happy Scientist or Steve Spangler.

We are going into fourth also. For me the content subjects are the ones most exciting - Literature, Science, History.. Readings, discussions, narrations, demonstrations, all fun stuff. I'm starting to get pumped up about History Odyssey Early Modern Level 1 (uses SOTW 3 as spine) and BFSU 2.

We are also excited about starting MCT this fall. Also trying out Moving Beyond the Page this year, dd is excited about this one. Mine also loves history so we are continuing our slow but enjoyable pace with SOTW 2 and adding History of US audiobooks for fun. We are looking forward to our first year in a coop and lots of fun outside classes. Trying to follow more rabbit trails this year and really enjoy our learning!

I'm very excited about my rising 4th grader's plans!

I'm also working on my older dd's lessons and her work is just so hard! :confused:

(And this explains my excitement over my younger dd's lessons....:001_smile:)

She is my big reader and thinker, so she's taught me how to be more creative for her. I've tried to come up with some plans that will interest and challenge her but also allow her to be young too.

I decided to create a study of trees, because of her huge interest in them. I'm using an older book that I love entitled Our American Trees. To this study I've added some assorted stories, poetry and articles and a few other books that I thought she would enjoy. She'll be reading some Norse myths and some Tolkien to follow any rabbit trails about trees within these legends and stories. We'll read Tree in the Trail for geography too.

She loves astonomy too. I have RS4K Astronomy I and we'll add more documentaries (we've already watched a large number of these), a study of the constellations and a few books on time and space. She's currently reading Einstein's Cosmos and I know she could use more help with this book. I'm planning on adding some physics to our astonomy too. I'm working on this too. I'm adding in some work in geometry too. She's doing some Patty Paper Geomety and Hands-On Geometry.

We'll be reading George MacDonald's The Complete Fairy Tales and At the Back of the North Wind. These will be great for allowing us to go deeper for her and yet still be fun.

She's begging for an Anne of Green Gables study and this is what I've come up with for her:

Anne of Green Gables

Evangeline (Longfellow) (She's been wanting to read this too.)

Evangeline and the Acadians by Robert Tallant

(Prince Edward Island was once part of Acadia...I was thrilled to read this since she had been wanting to read Evangeline anyway.)

In the Days of Queen Victoria

Poetry

These are our more unusual studies. She'll still be working on many of the lessons on which she is currently working.

Edited by Kfamily

My oldest is going into 4th. I am excited because I anticipate this year as being a year of big changes for her. My rising 4th grader is not where she could be in terms of potential, because we've been struggling with mild dyslexia. However over the past two years I think we've slowly overcome some major hurdles and - progress has been slow & steady and I think she is ready to take things to the next level.

I am specifically excited about:

Phonetic Zoo: As a dyslexic, spelling is the #1 problem area with my rising 4th grader. We have struggled with several spelling programs, making progress in spite of the programs not because of them. DD is a phenomenal auditory learner - her listening skills are consistently off-the-charts awesome and because of this, I was SO excited about this program for her - but frankly, even though it is marketed to start with 3rd grade, I listened to samples and ran an assessment and there was just no way she could have tackled it last year. Spelling was too abysmal. NOW, however, her spelling skills are such that she can start Phonetic Zoo, and I really have high hopes for this program for her. This is a student who is creative and has a lot of great ideas, but her inability to spell correctly cripples her and is a HUGE obstacle towards creative writing. Getting the upper hand on spelling will be huge, huge, HUGE, and I am excited. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ALEKS and Life of Fred: DD has been doing fine with math, we've been using TeachingTextbooks, but I think she needs more. Not willing to drop TT, again, because she's an audio learner and the audio-visual on TT textbooks is fantastic. Math exam results have been average, but I'd like to see them higher. Looking forward to adding some meat to our mathtime with these two programs as supplements.

Story of the World II: Did SotW1 last year with both my kids, and this was the highlight I think. We do integrated literature readings and read, discuss, etc together. To me it's not more of the same. Every topic discussed is something new and exciting. Love it.

WWE, FFL, just more of the same.

ALEKS and Life of Fred: DD has been doing fine with math, we've been using TeachingTextbooks, but I think she needs more. Not willing to drop TT, again, because she's an audio learner and the audio-visual on TT textbooks is fantastic. Math exam results have been average, but I'd like to see them higher. Looking forward to adding some meat to our mathtime with these two programs as supplements.

I'm not sure if I used the quote feature correctly, but my rising 4th grader is supplementing Singapore 4 with LOF and ALEKS as well. I love the way we can approach the same subject in a variety of ways.

-Ali

(taking notes... Thanks to the Suggestions on Rip the Page and Penrose the Mathematical Cat. :) )

We school on a calendar year. So technically, my current 3rd grader will gradually move up in her work to 4th during the fall. Math wise, I'm hoping to get her into MM 3A (math is not her strong suit, but we keep plugging away.). We currently use MCTLA. We recently started Sentence Island. She enjoyed Grammar Island and Building Language is going well. We're currently reading from MCT's Literature as well and dd is enjoying Alice in Wonderland. We use Check the Deck for a bit of extra writing practice (I got a cheap used copy on half.com) I started utilizing ILL when I started her younger brother in PLL. We're just a few lessons in because we tend to do it once or twice a week and didn't start using it until May. So far, both have been going with it and not complaining, so I take that as a good sign. I'd like to move her into Lively Latin, but we can't afford it right now and she's enjoying SSL with her brother. She picks up on words fast, so I've found a mix of SWO and HTTS to work well for introduction of words and reinforcement of spelling rules. We're using CHOLL's schedule for SOTW 1 and I plan to continue using it for SOTW 2. It gives us that WWE dictation and narration in the context of the lesson and provides pretty good read aloud suggestions. (At least we are enjoying them.)

I'm excited about a few things. I am leading a co-op for IEW-SWI A, and he'll have a class afterwards. I think it might be life skills using some materials from Contenders/Keepers.

I'm excited that we'll be in the middle ages. That should be a fun time period to study. I'm also have a friend's child coming one day a week next year for science and history projects, health, and geography. I think my ds will enjoy having a whole school day with a friend. It will also help me do some of the project things I tend to put off and never get to.

Here's what we're doing. None of it is that new or mind blowing:

Math: we moved from Math U See to Teaching Textbooks (kids love it; hope it's working)

Lively Latin (tough going; we do a "Latin bite" a day to keep it from being overwhelming).

Story of the World -- we should be on book 4, but will be finishing up book 3 until October or so.

First Language Lessons -- get to it at least once a week. Been doing for two years.

Extracurriculars include: Shakespeare theater class taught for their age. Ice skating. Hopefully piano this year for both even though one prefers flute. SWB says everyone should have two yrs. of piano.

Thanks

Alley

What about adding in a fun science? Rockets, cooking (there's a book called The Science Chef though I haven't used it), general chemistry, general physics...the possibilities are endless.

I forgot to say that I am trying to put together the science study to coincide with the geography. There is already a few topics suggested in Trail Guide that I'm using, but I hope I can make it really fun and relative to the area we are studying.

I'm changing a lot this year. After an ok but BLAH year last year, I need new. We're sticking with Singapore, but everything else is changing.

I think I'm going with BFSU for science. I have a lot of other ideas to add onto it.

History is MOH. I already owned this, so that's the main reason. I'm not super focused on history this year, but I think we'll enjoy it.

LA- I still don't fully know. I'm ordering all of MCT. I'm not sure what we'll end up using, but I'm excited to look it over. Also considering PLL/ILL and Grammarland.

I'm reading Writer's Jungle and really inspired by it. Not sure how I'll implement it, but I will definitely pull in some of the exercises. I'm also considering Writing Tales. I used this with oldest dd years back and really liked it.

Spelling we're going to use spelling city along with the lists from WRTR. I'll be carrying over the approach from Phonics Road (though we're leaving PR).

I'm thinking of ordering teaching the classics. Even if I don't, we're having a lit focused year rather than historical fiction. I have a loose list to work from. We're definitely going through Narnia and probably LOTR.

We may end up not even doing a formal grammar. I'm thinking of doing Lively Latin (we already own it), and between that and Writing Tales, there's an acceptable amount of grammar.

I'm also doing vocab/root words using Calvin and Hobbes and English from the roots up.

Finally, I'm doing a daily kids' choice hour. I think I'm most excited about that.

Also, nature study could be good for you. Using something like The Nature Connection would give you a guide. Last year, we methodically studied our own local area and made a family field guide. This year we will do this again, as we've moved and everything will be new and different. Your boys are old enough to do a really good job with this. If they like to draw, I highly recommend How to Keep a Naturalist's Notebook. Otherwise, let them use a camera. Then they can download the pictures to the computer and make a nice, polished field guide using a publishing program on the computer.

Alte Veste Academy,

Great suggestions! I'm wondering about the family field guide you and your family made. Did you follow a book or particular format, or did you blog about it at all? I'm trying to picture this in my mind and I'm having a hard time. I need something tangible to get the creative juices flowing... :D

How long did you all work on this? Was it a year-long project?

I love the idea, and I know my 4th grade ds will love it, too.

Thanks!

I'm very excited about my rising 4th grader's plans!

I'm also working on my older dd's lessons and her work is just so hard! :confused:

(And this explains my excitement over my younger dd's lessons....:001_smile:)

She is my big reader and thinker, so she's taught me how to be more creative for her. I've tried to come up with some plans that will interest and challenge her but also allow her to be young too.

I totally agree! My oldest ds's curriculum planning is taking up a lot of my time (he's entering high school...) so I am in need of some creative ideas for my 4th grader, as well. All my thinking is going to my oldest right now, I'm afraid.

So, I'm all :bigear: and am enjoying this thread!

We did not do enough fun/educational field trips last year (or the year before, for that matter...), so I'm determined to plan (and follow through on

:D ) several.

For example, my ds asked to study geology and astronomy this year, so I am planning an earth science and astronomy year. I found a book written by a geologist that used to live in our state (and still works part-time for a local college), so I'm planning on seeing if he'll be around and would like to do a presentation for our group.

My ds also likes weather, so we'll be visiting the local weather station and, among other things, help set off the weather balloon.

We're also going to do more nature studies and go on many more nature walks. We're going to visit a place where they do glass-blowing and another place where they make chocolate (and I mean starting with the beans). These are purely for fun.

This is a good start for me, and it's how I am going to try to turn our (possibly) stressful year (the first year of hs for our oldest) into a "year of fun!" I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Alte Veste Academy,

Great suggestions! I'm wondering about the family field guide you and your family made. Did you follow a book or particular format, or did you blog about it at all? I'm trying to picture this in my mind and I'm having a hard time. I need something tangible to get the creative juices flowing... :D

How long did you all work on this? Was it a year-long project?

I love the idea, and I know my 4th grade ds will love it, too.

Thanks!

No, I don't blog. Thanks to my personality, I think it would be a major black hole for my attention and then there wouldn't be any actual education to report. :tongue_smilie:

I bought No Student Left Indoors: Creating a Field Guide to Your Schoolyard as a guide but you really don't need it. It lays out ideas but really, just get an assortment of different field guides from the library and decide what format appeals to you most. If your kids are very artistic, you could have them sketch the images. If not, let them use a camera. You can use a publishing program on your computer or just let the kids do freehand pages on art paper. In the end, each of the kids developed their own slightly different style for their individual pages (and obviously my youngest needed a lot of help with it, but he wanted to participate too). DD did her pages in the style of a typical nature journal, with pastels and watercolor pencils. DS9 preferred a blank notebooking form I had on hand from a set I bought for history and used mostly pencil and black ink drawings. I don't think there is a right answer for how to do it. Just let your kids pick whatever suits them best.

I will say DD did all the cuddly, cute animals and wildflowers while the boys did the "creepy" stuff. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Sorry, forgot to answer how long! It was a year-long project but we interspersed it with regular nature study days. We methodically listed and sorted what we were going to cover (threw in weather, per DS9's request) but then we weren't really scheduled about it, mostly because it didn't lend itself to scheduling. We could go a long time without seeing a new animal species and we had to wait for the seasons for new plant life or changes in the plants as well.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I'm with you!

I'm usually OVER the moon about planning and prepping for school. I'm shopping the school supplies the day they are fully stocked in our stores.

But, not this year. I'm adding another child into our homeschool life and I'm thrilled to have ds begin preschool.......BUT I'm just exhausted. However we just got done with school on Friday. We will begin the new school year on August 6th. I have to go school supply shopping this friday to have everything ready and I'm just NOT thrilled at all.

I need to get to putting the lesson plans together and then I'll start to get excited I think.

We're using stuff we've been using and LOVING but just going up a step.

I think ALOT of my hmph about the upcoming school year is I didn't find a planner for my iPad like I was hoping. So I'm having to use something that will get the job done but not really what I was looking for.

Now that I *finally* have our literature solidified, I'm pretty excited about our year! We're moving towards a more literature rich environment, with a big emphasis on history. Our list looks a lot like yours, though. :)

We're using MUS and love it. We don't necessarily do it every day, and we intersperse with the online drill application. He's in Gamma this year and speeding through it already.

We're doing Spelling Power. Spelling is a hitch for him, he hates doing it, and this one we can do orally without much effort on his part. We write the words he misses on post-its and put them on our word wall. I quiz him through the week and on Friday he tests orally. Done and done. If he continues asking for a workbook, we will likely go with A Reason For Spelling because of its non-traditional pages.

We aren't doing a lot of foreign language at the moment. Bits and pieces of ASL, and they have some Spanish computer games they enjoy. I want to do Latin, I really do, but we have to work on getting in the core subjects every day (or at least most days) before adding something like this.

We spent 4 years in the ancients with my oldest. LOL We are happily doing middle ages this year, with Mystery of History.

Still needing to obtain on this. Doing copywork, have a cursive workbook generic, and wanting A Reason For Handwriting. Maybe when the fall rolls around we can grab it.

Have the text, haven't done much for implementation's sake, mostly because...

We're still doing this also. Lesson 125 or so I think. Hoping to finish early in the fall and move to R&S3!

We haven't been able to afford many extras recently, and this fall doesn't look much different. Cub scouts, and maybe I can find a way to get them in soccer this fall, and lots of church activities - that's about it. Would love to join a co-op (working on starting one myself), would love to find cheap martial arts, and I only pretend to teach music and art at home. Doing better with our science and history this year though.

Lots of literature for us this year. I just posted our reading list: history read-alouds, month long novel read-alouds (once weekly followed through the week by reading learning activities and fun), and scheduled read alone time, in addition to free reading time requirements.

Science, we are using Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space. It didn't fly well with my oldest when we did biology, but these boys (my 4th grader, and also my 2nd grader doing most of this at the same time) really LOVE it. Maybe because I'm making a bit of effort and actually doing the activities. ;)

Also Bible, through CLP and using Studying God's Word. We're using book D because it goes with our history; younger boy is using book B because it's closer to his level of reading and attention.

We've been schooling for a couple of months now. Still moving slower than I'd like, but for the most part when we DO school, so far so good!

Language Arts

Grammar- Harvey’s Elementary Grammar with Mott’s Workbooks

Spelling- Webster’s 1824 Speller from Don Potter’s site

Composition- Spectrum Writing

Figurative Language- Figuratively Speaking

Literature- various, mostly tied to geography studies

Math

Drill- Kumon

Exploration- AOPS Intro to Counting and Probability

Textbook- Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2

Science

some standards based study and memory work

Sciencesaurus Grade 4-5

Science Daybook 5

Memoria Press Science Grade 4 Insects

Social Studies

World Geography- WP CATW w/ our own literature selections

Spanish

Learnables

Religious Studies and Mythology

(wks 1-9) Selections from The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor

(wks 10-12) Selections from d’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths

(wks 13-17) Selections from d’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths

(wks 18-20) Selections from Tales from Africa

(wks 21-27) Clouds of Glory: Legends and Stories about Bible Times

(wks 28-36) Ramayana: Divine Loophole

(wks 28-36) Selections from The Little Book of Hindu Deities

Poet/ Composer/ Artist Studies

(1st quarter) Jane Yolen's Color Me a Rhyme: Nature Poems for Young People/ Ambleside's 2014-2015 TERM 1: Children's Classics/ Blue Rider artists

(2nd quarter) Valerie Worth's All the Small Poems/ Handel/ Rembrandt

(3rd quarter) Wayne Visser's I Am An African (I am not sure about this poet, but, if he won't work for us, I will use Rumi.)/ Brahms/ Henri Rousseau

(4th quarter) Issa- Cool Melons- Turn to Frogs! and Basho- Grass Sandals/ Stravinsky/ Chagall

We will be continuing with drama, art lessons, and violin. We are considering the National Mythology Exam, Math Olympiad, mandolin, and 4-H Shooting Sports.

Next year I will only have the the little man at home and I am finding it difficult to plan. It is just difficult to imagine the time stretched before us with just the two of us together every day!

HTH-

Mandy