Menu

Oh no, I just found out I'm going bald!! :(

I've been having problems with hair loss for some time now. We thought it was related to health problems I've had, lack of iron, presciption meds I take, etc.

Finally I went to another dermatologist who went ahead and biopsied my scalp, and I just got the results.

I foget the medical term, but it showed I am going BALD, the same way some men go bald!! The doctor said if you were to do a biopsy of a bald man's scalp, it would look the same as mine did.

I would cry except I am too stunned.

He suggested I try Rogaine for several months.

Has anyone else ever had this? The doctor suggested that is affects as many as 20% of adult women. Surely I can't be the only one. Has Rogaine worked?? If not, what do you do??

My MIL has this problem. She uses wigs but seems very zen about the whole situation. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry. I don't think 20% sounds right though, but it's not that uncommon and totally just genetic.

Is it alopecia? We have a friend who had this. Hers was actually stress-related and her hair eventually grew back. However, she did ads for one of those hair replacement places for a while. I think she went there once a month for hair replacement. It looked completely natural, even in the pool or outside in the wind. http://www.hairclub.com/hair-replacement-procedure.php

I would be really upset. I'm sorry you're having this issue. Luckily, there are some options these days.

I have experienced hair loss and I am not sure if it is permanent or not. I have found that progesterone cream helps with curbing it. I have a spot that really thinned out and haven't seen any regrowth.

I tried Nioxin and Rogaine and I don't think it worked.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: OH, that IS shocking! I'm so sorry! I'm sure it is more common than you realize, but when you're not expecting that diagnosis...yikes! Go to a good stylist and explain what's going on. Maybe call ahead to some salons and ask if they have anyone who is well versed in women's hairloss and appropriate styles. I know the right cut and style can keep your hair looking fuller in the immediate.

:grouphug::grouphug: That would be very upsetting. :grouphug::grouphug:

It might be worth having a complete blood workup done to see the status of your thyroid function and hormonal levels. Imbalances in those areas can also cause hair loss. I *do* realize that it is sometimes hereditary or another issue, but if hormones are involved at all it may slow the progress.

I'm so sorry. I can imagine the shock.

Is it alopecia? We have a friend who had this. Hers was actually stress-related and her hair eventually grew back.

I checked; the medical term is "Androgenetic alopecia," which, in layman's terms, is "male pattern baldness." So it's not stress or thyroid; and vitamins won't help any more than they would help a man who is going bald.

Wow, so other people get a wig because of it?? I guess that's better than nothing; but the thought of having to wear a wig for the rest of my life, not to mention people making fun of it (isn't that always in books and things, that people snicker at the lady with a wig?), or it falling off or something, is really depressing.

What makes it extra awful is that I've always been a "hair person." I always loved long hair; I used to like to braid my hair, put headbands in my hair, flat-iron my hair ... I just like hair.

Not to mention that my husband loves hair, and likes long hair.

So nobody out there has been successful with Rogaine?? I kind of feel like that's my only hope.

Not to mention that my husband loves hair, and likes long hair.

I'm sure your husband likes you as a person much more than he likes long hair. My husband says he likes long hair, too, but he got used to me being bald when I shaved my head when my best friend was going through chemo. (I actually liked being bald, but I'm not a "hair person" like you, though.)

I'm sorry you are going through this. I think I'd try the Rogaine first before resorting to a wig. I'd also look into some cute hats to wear in public if you're self conscious about it. :grouphug:

My MIL who wears a wig - I had no idea until I was married to my DH for a couple of years and she said something. My DH just never thought to mention it (LOL -what a guy) and she wears a wig all the time when with others. So I think it is possible to have a natural looking wig!

I do hope that you find some solution that works for you and maybe you can halt the loss. Your options are sure great than when my MIL lost her hair (many, many years ago). :grouphug:

OP I'm so sorry! That has to be so distressing. :grouphug: :grouphug: Surely you're not alone. My mom wears wigs in the winter and "toppers" in the summer. I worry I'll get it too. I always have had long hair (it goes down to my butt right now and I'm 5'10) and I always worry it will happen to me too. I've lost tons of hair since I've had kids. :grouphug: :grouphug: Please let us know if you find something that works for you. I know I will be interested and I'm sure many others here as well. :grouphug: to you honey.

check into holistic/alternative/homeopathic treatment for hairloss. I recommend this because just about a week ago I saw something about an herb or supplement which was shown to restore hair growth. I didn't need the information at the time so I ignored it. I'm sorry.

I can't imagine your distress! I'm really sorry! I hope you find something which will help.

My hair is extremely thin, it is a hereditary condition that I so luckily got from my father. I have a couple spots on my head that are almost bald and can no longer wear my hair down anymore.

I haven't found a solution yet. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

PCOS is famous for causing male pattern baldness in women. Have you been checked for that? Testosterone levels would be a great place to start :):grouphug:

:iagree: and it's a metabolic syndrome. Have any trouble with carbs/glucose/insulin/diabetes issues?

My hair started falling out so much after my last baby that I considered wearing a wig or a snood. Personally I'd rather go that route than chemicals. There are a lot of beautiful, affordable wigs and snoods out there. I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with.

One of my DD's K teachers wore (I'm pretty sure) a wig every day and she looked great.

My hair did start to come back but if ever faced with the problem again I'm going wig or snood. :grouphug:

Wow, so other people get a wig because of it?? I guess that's better than nothing; but the thought of having to wear a wig for the rest of my life, not to mention people making fun of it (isn't that always in books and things, that people snicker at the lady with a wig?), or it falling off or something, is really depressing.

:grouphug: :grouphug: Have no advice. I don't think people make fun of people in wigs now, though. I have run into plenty of women who wear them for fun or 'cause they are easier to style and keep unfrizzy here in the humidity. Or they just say that and actually they are dealing with what you are. They never said. I just complimented them on their gorgeous hair and they told me they were wearing wigs. Seriously, women you would NEVER know had wigs on. They are really quite natural looking now.

My hair was thinning a lot. I figured it was my thyroid when I stumbled across an article about iodine being able to cure ovarian cysts. I've had several cysts rupture. Read the article and realized that I basically eat very little iodine, and what I was eating was being removed through contact with chlorinated water, eating soy and broccoli. I ordered 50mg supplements of iodoral from someone on Amazon and stopped thyroid pills. In 90 days my hair was thicker (the few hairs that fall out in the shower now show a line from when I started taking the iodine- it's now much thicker, darker, shinier and I lose way less hairs per day). I've also not had any more cyst problems and my most recent thyroid TSH reading was 2.3 - the best I have ever had since I started testing at age 19. My hair no longer looks thin. I am not a doctor, but honestly I'd seriously take a good look at your thyroid results and start by taking iodine. It is a large amount of iodine, which made me hesitate at first, but it's also much less than you would be given if you were exposed to radiation. I don't think I'll ever stop taking the iodoral. It's made an amazing difference in my hair.

My hair was thinning a lot. I figured it was my thyroid when I stumbled across an article about iodine being able to cure ovarian cysts. I've had several cysts rupture. Read the article and realized that I basically eat very little iodine, and what I was eating was being removed through contact with chlorinated water, eating soy and broccoli. I ordered 50mg supplements of iodoral from someone on Amazon and stopped thyroid pills. In 90 days my hair was thicker (the few hairs that fall out in the shower now show a line from when I started taking the iodine- it's now much thicker, darker, shinier and I lose way less hairs per day). I've also not had any more cyst problems and my most recent thyroid TSH reading was 2.3 - the best I have ever had since I started testing at age 19. My hair no longer looks thin. I am not a doctor, but honestly I'd seriously take a good look at your thyroid results and start by taking iodine. It is a large amount of iodine, which made me hesitate at first, but it's also much less than you would be given if you were exposed to radiation. I don't think I'll ever stop taking the iodoral. It's made an amazing difference in my hair.

Very intriguing. I'm going to do some research into this for myself. Thank you.

The white iodine sounds interesting. I just did a cursory search on google and it looks like you have to be careful with it though that you can overdose quite easily on it (anything more than 2 or 3 drops is an overdose it said) and it can cause thyroid cancer! :eek: Be careful if you use it.

I have lost almost all my hair. It is really not very much fun. Headcoverings can be fun for style, but for camouflage...not so much. I wear bandanas a lot because they are soft and easy. Too many hats scratch my head. If you can wear silk, you are in much better shape than I am. I am allergic to silk, so that leaves me with cotton only.

If it is truly GONE hair, I would totally wear a wig. I got a natural human hair one a few years ago and it was not too bad and even people who knew me did not know it was a wig. I was flabbergasted at that. However, I do not wear it much as my hair comes and goes (but it has been mostly gone for 4 years now, and really gone for about 6 months) and putting the tape down to keep the wig on bugged me because when I removed it, I was pulling out all the new growth.

It's hard to describe the effect of hair loss. It hits at some parts of your feeling feminine. It sort of attacks your feeling that you can look pretty or dress well. I have become a bit more reclusive. I have to say, however, I have saved all kinds of money by not going shopping as often.

It also helps to be in the Orthodox Churchwhere so many women wear head coverings 24/7 for other reasons...it makes it less stigmatizing. :0)

Hang in there. It's not something one would wish for, but it is manageable.

Thanks for sharing.

So if you don't wear a wig much, are you typically out and about visibly bald? If how, how do people react to that?

I completely agree about the "feeling feminine" aspect. Mine is minor so far, and it already makes me feel like I don't want to fix myself up and dress nicely.

Are you married? If so, how has your husband reacted to it?

http://www.haircenter.com/

This is a site for hair transplant surgery. With male pattern baldness, the hairs on the top and crown are sensitive to certain hormones while the hair on other parts of the head is not. So hair transplant works by taking follicles from areas of your head that aren't sensitive to the hormone and transplanting them to the part of your scalp where the hair is thinning.

Sorry. It stinks.

I find that this works better than just Rogaine:

http://www.amazon.com/Lipogaine-Women-Minoxidil-Professionally-Formulated/dp/B0037T0YES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341542549&sr=8-1&keywords=lipogaine+for+women

In my experience, a combination of minoxidil AND azelaic acid works better than just minoxidil alone. It works on breaking down the testosterone (DHT) that is in the hair follicle, and which causes the hair follicle changes associated with male pattern baldness (thinning on top of the head, and at the crown). It is not supposed to work if someone has patches of bald spots all over the head that may be caused by illness, etc.

I bet you will respond to treatment.... just be diligent to use it twice a day, every day. Also, I take a B12 supplement.

Cindy

I am so sorry. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I've posted a few times about hair loss and more natural ways of dealing with it.

I hope some of this info helps.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=320783&highlight=scalp+massage&page=3

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=312580&highlight=scalp+massage

I think that improving the circulation of the scalp (daily massage) and nutrition may help somewhat. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My MIL has this problem. She uses wigs but seems very zen about the whole situation. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm so sorry. I don't think 20% sounds right though, but it's not that uncommon and totally just genetic.

It you take women up to age 90, I bet 20% get female pattern baldness. Males get a spot in back and the receding hairline. Women tend to get a general thinning of the whole top. The reason you don't see it is they tend to pop on wigs or get the LOL (little old lady) blue rinse and "set" which makes it all stand up and be swirly.