Menu

Gallstones--Surgery or not? Any advice from the Hive?

Dear Dr. Hive,

Had a painful, long lasting gallbladder attack last night. The first ever, and probably brought on by a somewhat out-of-character fatty food binge. No symptoms ever before this. The ultrasound revealed gallstones, and the doctor said surgery was in order. Has anyone had this surgery? Found it to be successful? (I heard that the stones can reoccur after surgery in nearby parts of the body.) Anyone kept the gallbladder but have the stones medically dissolved? Anyone treated with diet-only modifications?

I'd really rather not rush into surgery for a condition that is not life or over-all-health threatening, but I don't want to be unwise and end up having to go in on an emergency basis.

fyi: I can keep my diet relatively low-fat fairly easily. It will decrease my happiness, but then so did the gallbladder pain!

I refused to have mine taken out and controlled attacks with diet. I was having a lot of attacks over the course of a year or two but haven't had another for almost 3 years now. Most people will continue to have attacks though. I probably wouldn't have it out after only one attack though. Try diet and see what happens. If it doesn't work then have it out. Just don't do that flush thing you hear about.

I was not able to control my attacks with diet. They became more frequent and I was having 4-5 attacks a week at the beginning of this year. I had mine removed at the end of February, the first couple days after the surgery were rough but I haven't had any problems since then.

I had my first attack when I was pregnant with my first child (15 years ago). At the time I did not know what it was. I thought maybe it had something to do with a pulled muscle in my back. It was extremely painful but it only last about 10 minutes. Since when it was gone, it was completely gone... I went on about my normal life.

When my daughter was 1 month old, I was already back at work and had an attack at work. I realized that if felt the same as the one about 6 months earlier. Again, it was gone very quickly and I chose to ignore it.

My daughter was 3 months old and I had an ATTACK. I would choose to have 7 babies back to back all natural before I'd go through that again. 911 was called because I absolutely was beyond talking (I couldn't even swallow my own drool). They rushed me to the hospital. There were multiple gunshot victims that night and I had to wait for an surgical room to open up. There was no pain medication that could help. It was sheer agony.

They removed my gallbladder the next morning but when I woke up the agony was not gone. They immediately did another ultrasound. I had a stone that had left the gallbladder and was stuck in a duct. I had to wait 24 hours to see if it would pass. It didn't and at this point I was over 2 days of agony so bad I was vomiting, losing vision, and couldn't speak.

They did a second procedure where I was given conscious sedation (which didn't take the pain away so they were forced to give me a lot of morphine in order to be able to turn me). They fed a tube down my throat and somehow found the stone and removed it. Immediate relief.

Now the recovery from surgery wasn't bad at all. Certainly easier than having a baby imo. But my diet was pretty restrictive at first. I had terrible diarrhea for almost 2 years afterwards (almost no matter what I ate). It eventually correctly itself and I can eat most foods but have still to watch the amount of fried or charred foods in particular. My "gut" is now sensitive for sure though and I hate it. Formally, I could eat anything and it never bothered me.

So... my two cents... If you can control it with diet. Great! That seems the least invasive. Having had an extreme attack though, I worry that you would have one. I wouldn't want that to happen. No easy solution.

FTR, I pass kidney stones as well. My acute gallbladder attack was easily as bad as my worst kidney stones attack. Though I do realize that most gallbladder attacks are not that severe. Neither of my first two were.

Edited by krisperry

Had mine removed 3 weeks after my twins were born....best thing EVER (aside from the birth of twins).

I had gall bladder attacks nearly every week of my pregnancy that sent me to the hospital to determine if it was my gall bladder or pre-term labor, the pain was that bad.

advice....get it out quickly. I've had no issues since its removal at all.

But my diet was pretty restrictive at first. I had terrible diarrhea for almost 2 years afterwards (almost no matter what I ate). It eventually correctly itself and I can eat most foods but have still to watch the amount of fried or charred foods in particular. My "gut" is now sensitive for sure though and I hate it. Formally, I could eat anything and it never bothered me.

So... my two cents... If you can control it with diet. Great! That seems the least invasive. Having had an extreme attack though, I worry that you would have one. I wouldn't want that to happen. No easy solution.

Thank you for all this information Krisperry. My attack was nowhere near as severe as yours, but who knows about the next time! I am so sorry you had to go through that, but am very happy that you are now well.

The underlined the part that worries me most. I have also heard that scheduled surgery is laproscopic (small scar) and emergency surgery may not be (huge scar). Call me vain, but that does factor into my thought process. On the other hand, post-operative bowel problems are none too enticing either! Sigh.

I refused to have mine taken out and controlled attacks with diet. I was having a lot of attacks over the course of a year or two but haven't had another for almost 3 years now. Most people will continue to have attacks though. I probably wouldn't have it out after only one attack though. Try diet and see what happens. If it doesn't work then have it out. Just don't do that flush thing you hear about.

Another vote for managing it with diet. I've been dealing with it for 3 years now and managing with diet and medications. I eat a very low-fat diet, cut pork and chocolate out completely as they triggered attacks, and take daily zantac as a preventative. I also take Gas-X if I start to feel an attack coming on, and normally that will stop it.

Dh had his out a few months ago. We thought it was his first attack, post a far-fattier-than-typical pizza. We decided to go with the surgery because our diet isn't high in fat to begin with--the primary source being cheese, which we of course cut back on immediately;). We just weren't sure that taking out cheese alone would do the trick.

We were so glad we went with surgery. When the dr. came out to talk to me, he said there was no way that was his first attack--that it had been in bad shape for years. I guess it was so bad it fell apart as soon as he touched it. Dh had had pain before, but was diagnosed with GERD and so always attributed it to that. Since the surgery, he's a new man. No GERD, no problems with eating, no pain, etc.

So, I guess I'd start with evaluating your diet--how bad is it? If you can change enough to go that route, great. I know dh is really glad he didn't;), but he isn't you:). The recovery was a breeze, although he did end up staying the night to be monitored because of the gb falling apart inside and strewing stones all over.

Whatever you do, may you never have that kind of pain again!!

I highly recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Liver-Gallbladder-Miracle-Cleanse-ebook/dp/B003ODHONG/ I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed last year but I postponed the surgery when my chiropractor recommended I give gallbladder flushes a try. I got the book above and did the flushes every month (started being more careful with what I ate too) and it was well worth it! I went from having weekly attacks to no longer having them so I cancelled the surgery :D Two of my friends have had the surgery done; one is doing perfectly fine and is glad she's gone through with having her gallbladder removed. However my other friend is having a hard time with upset stomachs / food intolerances etc since the surgery :001_huh:

What? NO CHOCOLATE?????????:eek::svengo: (And yes I had extra chocolate the day before the attack.)

Yep. Once in a great while I can have a very tiny bit as long as it isn't milk chocolate or the waxy type of chocolate. Trust me - when eating something makes you that sick and hurt that bad, it's EASY to cut it out.

Dh had his out a few months ago. We thought it was his first attack, post a far-fattier-than-typical pizza.

Whatever you do, may you never have that kind of pain again!!

I am having vauge memories (all my memories seem to be vauge now that I've hit my mid-forties!) of having very very mild pain every few weeks in the same spot more than a decade ago (pre kids). I changed my diet after having the kids and had no pains, but the two day fat binge (due primarily to a failure to go to the grocery store and farm market and a busy schedule) must have reignited the quiet stones. This may mean I have had them for a long time. My diet as a child, teen, and twenties was typical American--not so good. It is much better now. More to think about. So glad your DH is okay!

Check out karenhurd.com She heals with food, and she has some great advice. Go do health topics on the left column, then specific health concerns, then scroll down to pick gallbladder disease, or other ailments if you wish. Gallstones is something apparently easy to fix with diet (beans!) She explains why, too. Very very smart lady who has helped many people (particularliy those with inflammatory type disorders. HTH

I had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago. My gallbladder was riddled with stones so it wasn't going to go away. Haven't had any pain or problems since. The attacks were awful. So I'm glad I went with the laparoscopic surgery. I did have to stay an extra day in the hospital because I did not respond well to the anesthetic. Other than that, no problems.

You could check with other family members to get a better sense of your possibilities. Everyone in my generation, my parents and my grandparents (on mother's side) has had their gallbladder out by the time they were 50.

Best wishes,

Melissa

Barely maintaining sanity in Minnesota

Dd 14

Dd 10

Ds 8

Ds 4

This past Christmas, I was two months postpartum with my third child. That night (what a great end to Christmas day), I had the most HORRIBLE pain I've ever had. It was right in the middle, high up between my ribs. It began around 8 PM. It started as simply discomfort. I thought it was gas pain, as I had it often. I kept waiting for it to go away.

As the evening progressed, it got worse and worse. Pretty soon the pain got so bad that I vomited. I was writhing around on the bed, attempting any position that I could try to get comfortable...nothing eased the pain.

Finally, around midnight, I decided this was NOT normal and it was NOT gas pains. So my parents took me (and my newborn) to the ER while DH stayed home with our other two sleeping kiddos. I had a lurking feeling that it was my gallbladder, as both of my parents have had theirs out. And my mom had her first issue after having her third child, as I just did.

Sure enough, I had gallstones. The doc's advice was to have it removed, as it would probably reoccur at some point.

I was given IV Fentanyl in the ER. This took away the edge. And then a Vicodin right before heading home. The pain began to grow in intensity again on the way home so I took another Vicodin. Finally, when I got home I was able to fall asleep and the pain was completely gone when I woke....except for a slight discomfort. The doctor said that since it was spasming so much and for so long (the attack lasted about 9 hours and only went away due to the pain medication) that it left the muscle sore.

There is no way on this earth that I wanted another attack to happen. What if I were alone with the kids? What if we were on vacation? Etc. I opted for surgery since there was a high chance of re-occurrence. A month later I had the surgery (baby was three months old then).

Piece. Of. Cake.

I had never had surgery before...never been put under anesthesia...never taken pain medication (except in the ER that night), etc. So this surgery was my very first of anything. I was so nervous...especially on how the meds, etc would effect breastfeeding my newborn.

I woke up post-op, surgery was complete, everything went great, and I had NO PAIN. It was sore as if I had pulled a muscle....but as far as pain from the incision, etc...there was none. I took not a single pain pill. The nurses were surprised that I wasn't asking for meds. And it's not that I have a high pain tolerance. I wasn't tolerating anything because there was no pain to tolerate.

I have had absolutely no bad effects from the surgery. I know that some people say they have a problem with certain foods, or have bowel issues, etc. I've had none of that.

This past Christmas, I was two months postpartum with my third child. That night (what a great end to Christmas day), I had the most HORRIBLE pain I've ever had. It was right in the middle, high up between my ribs. It began around 8 PM. It started as simply discomfort. I thought it was gas pain, as I had it often. I kept waiting for it to go away.

As the evening progressed, it got worse and worse. Pretty soon the pain got so bad that I vomited. I was writhing around on the bed, attempting any position that I could try to get comfortable...nothing eased the pain.

Finally, around midnight, I decided this was NOT normal and it was NOT gas pains. So my parents took me (and my newborn) to the ER while DH stayed home with our other two sleeping kiddos. I had a lurking feeling that it was my gallbladder, as both of my parents have had theirs out. And my mom had her first issue after having her third child, as I just did.

Sure enough, I had gallstones. The doc's advice was to have it removed, as it would probably reoccur at some point.

I was given IV Fentanyl in the ER. This took away the edge. And then a Vicodin right before heading home. The pain began to grow in intensity again on the way home so I took another Vicodin. Finally, when I got home I was able to fall asleep and the pain was completely gone when I woke....except for a slight discomfort. The doctor said that since it was spasming so much and for so long (the attack lasted about 9 hours and only went away due to the pain medication) that it left the muscle sore.

There is no way on this earth that I wanted another attack to happen. What if I were alone with the kids? What if we were on vacation? Etc. I opted for surgery since there was a high chance of re-occurrence. A month later I had the surgery (baby was three months old then).

Piece. Of. Cake.

I had never had surgery before...never been put under anesthesia...never taken pain medication (except in the ER that night), etc. So this surgery was my very first of anything. I was so nervous...especially on how the meds, etc would effect breastfeeding my newborn.

I woke up post-op, surgery was complete, everything went great, and I had NO PAIN. It was sore as if I had pulled a muscle....but as far as pain from the incision, etc...there was none. I took not a single pain pill. The nurses were surprised that I wasn't asking for meds. And it's not that I have a high pain tolerance. I wasn't tolerating anything because there was no pain to tolerate.

I have had absolutely no bad effects from the surgery. I know that some people say they have a problem with certain foods, or have bowel issues, etc. I've had none of that.

Thank you for providing so much detailed information. I really appreciate it. I do travel a lot and it would be a nightmare having an attack on the road with the kids! It is good to hear the positive outcomes of surgery, and I am so pleased that you are all better now.

mktyler: Thanks! My immediate family hasn't had this problem (despite having a 1960s-80s diet very similar to mine) but my cousin tells me it is rampant in my grandfather's side of the family.

I was worried about post-operative bowel problems also, luckily I haven't had any issues with it. I haven't had any problems with my diet afterward, even when I have something greasy like fast food or pizza I don't have any issues. I was reading a lot online before the surgery about people with problems afterward and almost talked myself out of the surgery!

Have not read the responses yet, but if your doctor recommended surgery, please take his advice. Blockage can lead to pancreatitis, which is lifethreatening. I have taken care of a middle aged female patient who passed away very shortly after being diagnosed with pancreatitis. If I were in your shoes, I would just have it taken out.

First went to the ER with what I thought was acid reflex & went home with acid reflex meds.

Second ER visit was after what I thought was the flu followed by wellness everyday and a fever every night for 2 weeks. They scheduled to have my gallbladder out the next day but then found that I had a LIVER infection (2 weeks of fever??). I had a bag & line put-in to drain my liver infection; in hospital for 3 days.

Third ER visit I was out of breathe they thought I had a blood clot - I had fluid in my right lung. Kept me in hospital for 3 days.

Fourth ER visit my line to drain my liver came out and I was HAMMERED with pain. Stayed in hospital 2 days.

FOUR months later I had my gallbladder taken out. Four months of pain & fear. Then 6 weeks of recovery & I was and am fine.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and don't let your gallbladder cause MORE problems than JUST the gallbladder!!

I had terrible diarrhea for almost 2 years afterwards (almost no matter what I ate). It eventually correctly itself and I can eat most foods but have still to watch the amount of fried or charred foods in particular. My "gut" is now sensitive for sure though and I hate it. Formally, I could eat anything and it never bothered me.

That was my fear and the exact reason I didn't want to have the surgery.

itsheresomewhere, magnificent baby, and MIch elle, I am adding your good reports of surgery outcomes to the growing pile on here and IRL. I meet with my doctor on Monday morning. I am probably going to risk going on vacation for two weeks (no vacation foods for me!) and then most likely have the surgery upon return.

Everyone has been so kind and helpful. Thank you! The Hive is one of the most supportive and knowledgable communities I know.

I had emergency gallbladder removal when my oldest son (now 12) was 3 weeks old. I never had any episodes prior to his birth, but had my first at 1 week PP, second at 2 weeks PP, and the 3rd that sent me to the ER with fever and vomiting, and in excruciating pain for 10 hours until I got meds...those were GOOD meds, too. ;)

I had read about it, was going to attempt to "heal" it -- but apparently that was not to be. When you get to the fever/vomiting stage, and with the episodes getting worse each time...that is not a good thing.

Overall, I am fine. I don't have to eat a "low-fat" diet, or non-spicy foods. That said, I can't eat a "high-fat" diet, either. If I do, I *must* increase my intake of starchy carbs...lol (which kind of goes against the "low carb" lifestyle we are trying to live. I can eat 1 pound of bacon and not have any issues...a 1lb sirloin with fat...no issues...spicy salsa... sautee' my eggs in butter or coconut oil, mix coconut oil in my smoothies, whatever. Flax seed is really the only thing that I have to be careful not to over consume.

I don't miss my gallbladder. My diet isn't particularly affected by its removal. And, I really didn't have much of a choice in having it removed (being infected, and swollen and all). I still remember writhing in pain, and begging my husband to take me to the ER (he had to shower first :glare:). I don't consider myself a wuss when it comes to pain management, either (I was 3 weeks PP, after a 12hr., non-medicated home birth...and during the last 2 hours, I told my husband it wasn't that bad, that I could "definitely" do this again...yeah I said that DURING labor. This attack was so far and above worse labor if I didn't know what was happening, I would have sworn I was dying). I do consider myself a "surgical" success. ;)

I was having a severe attack every other day when I gave up hoping I wouldn't have to have surgery and had DH take me to the ER during one. I had surgery and did have issues with nausea and other digestive issues afterward. It was still worth it not to have any more attacks.

I had gallbladder attacks very occasionally throughout my pregnancy with DD2 (my 3rd). They got much worse after she was born, I was having horrible (worse than childbirth) attacks 2x a week. I worked with my naturopath, chiro, and nutritionist to figure out how to control the attacks, but nothing worked. I failed 2 HIDA scans and was in horrible pain a few nights a week. So, I had it out.

Surgery was fast, and I felt SO much better! Recovery was very easy for me, the scars are minimal, and I'm happy I had it done.

Piece. Of. Cake.

This is shockingly similar to my story. Only mine was in summer and my baby was 4 months old.

The high levels of estrogen in a woman's body when she is pregnant causes gall stones. For this reason, many women have gall bladder attacks soon after childbirth.

I had gall bladder attacks right after my 1st. I opted to go on a strict LOW fat diet and after a few months, I didn't have any. When pregnant with my twins I could no longer stay on an extremely low fat diet, so I began eating more fatty foods. My peri-natologist explained that during pregnancy your gall bladder does not function as well and is more relaxed and so I wouldn't likely get attacks while pregnant (which was true for me, but not always for others). He prescribed me vicodin that I could have on hand in case I needed it while pregnant or after. I was fine during that pregnancy but had issues right after they were born for a few months. Vicodin usually did the trick.

Just had my 4th kiddo a few months ago and have had a handful of attacks. Vicodin on hand wherever I go just in case. I limit my fat intake, but not at all like I used to. I eat chocolate all day long.:tongue_smilie:

I have done a gall bladder flush before. Interesting seeing the stones...

Don't know if I will have it out at some point in the future, but I know that for me (and a lot of friends I know) it is brought on by pregnancy.

Cutting fat didnt help me at all. Mine was a bit different...but I got to the point I could basically only eat White Rice and plain grilled chicken...and almost nothing else. Maybe a few cereals.

It was horrible. I was back eating everything after my gallbladder was removed. I cant imagine living like that forever! It was too painful.

Cutting fat didnt help me at all. Mine was a bit different...but I got to the point I could basically only eat White Rice and plain grilled chicken...and almost nothing else. Maybe a few cereals.

It was horrible. I was back eating everything after my gallbladder was removed. I cant imagine living like that forever! It was too painful.

My dd can hardly eat chicken now, several years later. She said for months all I fed them was chicken pre surgery. :D

I'm starting to get more and more suspicious that I've been having gallbladder issues during this pregnancy. I just found out that there is a strong family history on my father's side. My aunt and uncle have both had theirs out within the last year. My grandfather had his out. His mother actually died having hers removed. I'm much younger than they were, but I'm also about to have my fourth baby in five years.

I've been having trouble with nausea after eating, and I had been attributing it to carbs. I did have to do a 3 hour glucose test, but I passed that with flying colors. I also didn't feel sick from it all. My husband had to take me to the ER overnight about a month ago because I was having pain and nausea, but they basically just told me I wasn't dying and to go to the OB appointment I was scheduled for that morning. I did mention being concerned about my gallbladder then, but I was told the pain wouldn't have gone away if that was the cause. :confused: Then they ran half a dozen non-stress tests and an ultrasound because I was measuring small at that appointment, and I forgot all about it in the shuffle. I'm scheduled with someone different tomorrow, so I think I'll bring it up again and see what this doctor has to say.

My husband had to take me to the ER overnight about a month ago because I was having pain and nausea, but they basically just told me I wasn't dying and to go to the OB appointment I was scheduled for that morning. I did mention being concerned about my gallbladder then, but I was told the pain wouldn't have gone away if that was the cause. :confused: Then they ran half a dozen non-stress tests and an ultrasound because I was measuring small at that appointment, and I forgot all about it in the shuffle. I'm scheduled with someone different tomorrow, so I think I'll bring it up again and see what this doctor has to say.

I went to the ER during an attack once...but they said it was gastritis and sent me home. They did a CAT Scan but saw nothing. Mine was inflammation of the Gallbladder not stones...so it was hard to find. I had to do a Pipeda scan to find it...but mine was middle-lower back pain, and sudden pains in under my ribs on the right side. Very painful.

It is genetic on your mother's side...but I guess it can be passed from either side. I cant imagine going through that and being pregnant at the same time. I hear that a lot. I am so sorry!! I hope you find answers soon.

I haven't read all responses but my dad nearly had his gall bladder rupture from inflammation from gall stones. He never even knew he had them. Once in a while he'd have slight pain and thought it was gas or something. My dad eats very healthy as he has had prostate cancer, my mom has high blood pressure and diabetes (all of these are inherited from their parents) so their diet is mostly veggies from the garden and lean meats.

When he had his one and only attack my mom rushed him to the hospital. He was just about to rupture so they wouldn't even let him go home. They gave him antibiotics to reduce inflammation so they could do surgery the next day.

Have not read the responses yet, but if your doctor recommended surgery, please take his advice. Blockage can lead to pancreatitis, which is lifethreatening. I have taken care of a middle aged female patient who passed away very shortly after being diagnosed with pancreatitis. If I were in your shoes, I would just have it taken out.

I had a friend that got pancreatitis from gall stones. She survived but she was very sick for a long time. ANd in agonizing pain.

Guest thalassa

I had the laproscopic gs surgery since my stones were fairly large and it wasn't controllable with diet and I've never had a problem since.

Common duct stones and gallstones aren't really the same issue--they can occur together, but its actually somewhat uncommon. I was a hospital corpsman in the Navy for 6 years and have had a number of patients with gallbladders removed and have never actually had a patient with common duct stones. What I have seen though, is something called Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction...but from all reports I've heard, compared to a gall bladder attack itself, its much milder and less frequent.

I highly recommend getting it out. My son has permanent liver and pancreas damage because the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. The large number of stones he passed stretched out his bile ducts, making it more likely that stones will form in there and he may possible need a complete liver transplant. The back up pressure on the pancreas caused damage that he may end up with pancreatitis. Gall stones are really nothing to mess around with. Like a pp said, the gall bladder flushes are not really flushing out the stones. I went to both of my alternative medical providers and they both said not to mess around with any of the alternative therapies like flushes, diets and ultrasounds. :grouphug:

My dd had abdominal pain off and on for over a year before the pediatrician said it sounded like her gall bladder. Turns out dd, then 16, had a long, skinny g.b. full of stones. It has been out two years and she is a much happier camper! She does have some meds she takes if she has too much fatty food.

fyi: I can keep my diet relatively low-fat fairly easily. It will decrease my happiness, but then so did the gallbladder pain!

I'd do this. I was having twinges a few years ago so I changed my diet and it went away. Nothing major like what you had, though, but enough to scare me. I hope you are ok today!

The "gallstones" that result from a so-called gallbladder flush are more likely the result of saponification. (See The Lancet.)

:iagree: And even if they are indeed stones....you do NOT want stones running around there going where they please. Kidney stones have one way to go and that's out. Gallstones have options...options that can kill you if they end up in the wrong place!