Menu

Best vacuum cleaner?

Dyson DC33

I needed to take my old version of this vacuum (7 yrs, still works great!!) to our cabin to replace the new Hoover there that failed, and bought this one last month for home. (Sorry to tell you, I paid a lot less last month, on amazon - eta, be aware that the amazon price changes quite frequently - I paid around $300 with free shipping). While I've been intrigued by the dyson ball versions, their dirt cups are not large enough to suit me.

Oh, also I should have added:

If you really love it, or think it's the best vaccuum: Why? What makes it better or different than other vacuums?

Thanks again!

Sucks up more dirt than I ever imagined. Great suction, all the time. Not as good with the hardwood floor, though sometimes I decide to "vacuum" the floor with the attachments LOL rather than sweeping (the attachments seem to have better suction on the hardwood than the regular vacuum), simply because I am lazy.

I never knew how good a vacuum could be until I bought the precursor to this one 7 yrs ago.

eta again, I have been known to let certain kinds of messes sit (on an old-ish carpet) until they are dry and then vacuum them extensively to get it off. Yes, I am a housekeeper-slacker extraordinaire.

Edited by wapiti

http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-DC33-Multi-Floor-Upright-Bagless/dp/B0043EW354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340320097&sr=8-1&keywords=dc33

I needed to take my old version of this vacuum (7 yrs, still works great!!) to our cabin to replace the new Hoover there that failed, and bought this one last month for home. (Sorry to tell you, I paid a lot less last month, on amazon - eta, be aware that the amazon price changes quite frequently - I paid around $300 with free shipping). While I've been intrigued by the dyson ball versions, their dirt cups are not large enough to suit me.

I have this one and love it. My carpets are visibly cleaner, and the vacuum itself is easy to empty and clean. I'm definitely in the Dyson love camp.

If I could love an object with all my heart it would be my Dyson :lol:

Seriously. DH bought it for me last year. It is the newest Animal version. The bottom is sleek enough to fit around/under things. It swivels beautifully. It has a quick detachable thing that has a very long stretch. I can vacuum the top step with the base at the bottom.

Call me crazy but we have had a Kirby for a LONG time and have never had to repair it (probably shouldn't have said that:)) I love that it has a bag with a hepa filter in it so I don't have to replace the filter, I love that it makes the carpet softer after I sweep, I love that it has a drive button so it can be self propelled. It is the Ultimate G series.

Oh, also I should have added:

If you really love it, or think it's the best vaccuum: Why? What makes it better or different than other vacuums?

Thanks again!

Well, I love my Dyson. I've had it at least 8 years and still am amazed at how much stuff it picks up. I love not having to deal with changing bags - I just have to take the canister out to the big garbage can outside and pull the lever and it's done. I hated trying to get the bags attached and in the vacuum and then making sure they were inflating and working right, plus all the dust that collected in the fabric outer bag that just got blown around the house when the vacuum was on. I like that the Dyson filter is not inside the canister - it's outside and only needs to be washed every 6 months (and it's washable and you don't have to buy a new one). The canister also comes apart so you can get inside and clean it out every now and then if the little holes get clogged. I recommended it to my Mom, who also loves hers, and then she and my stepdad bought my stepbrother one as a housewarming gift.

For those who have/love a Dyson, would you recommend it for someone with no carpet at all? We don't need carpet cleaning or anything like that, we just need a great vacuum that can stand the rigor of being used daily in a family our size. :)

I don't have a lot of non-carpeted areas (dining area/kitchen, bathrooms, and an area downstairs), but use the Dyson on all of it (I really don't ever mop, maybe once a year. . .). It has a setting to turn the brush off for bare floors, although I typically don't.

For those who have/love a Dyson, would you recommend it for someone with no carpet at all? We don't need carpet cleaning or anything like that, we just need a great vacuum that can stand the rigor of being used daily in a family our size. :)

One of the best things about the Dyson is the ability to use on carpet/hard floor. I have both, and i LOVE that you can just turn the beater bar off. The button is on top right next to the power button. The unit can house a few of the attachments and the hand held hose comes right off.

Seriously the guy who engineered this thing is a genius.

One of the best things about the Dyson is the ability to use on carpet/hard floor. I have both, and i LOVE that you can just turn the beater bar off. The button is on top right next to the power button.
Our piece of junk (aka Kenmore canister) has this option as well and we found it doesn't clean as well as when we put the normal hard floor attachment on. Is this the case with the Dyson or does it clean just as well with the beater bar turned off?

Our piece of junk (aka Kenmore canister) has this option as well and we found it doesn't clean as well as when we put the normal hard floor attachment on. Is this the case with the Dyson or does it clean just as well with the beater bar turned off?

Nope, this thing has GREAT suction with the beater bar off. I have had a canister similar to the one you speak of and ya, it sucked....or not buhahaha

I have a Dyson All Floors (I think that's the name). I like it, it works well. I don't like that it does not pick up some larger crumbs. Not sure that I like it well enough to buy another one though. I got it as a replacement for the Dyson Ball that broke down on me after a year; I loved the ball action, it was so easy to steer. Bed, Bath & Beyond was very good to me when I exchanged.

Miele. No question about it.

Pwerful motor, great suction, very sturdy build despite being relatively light-weight. Designed with the best of German engineering. Long-lasting.

The greatest single thing about Mieles is there is no dust. The filtering is incredible. The air coming out of the vac is like air coming out of an air-filter, and that is with the regular bags and filters. For those who want to take it further there are HEPA filters that snap in.

The machines are not inexpensive, nor are the filters. But these are fine vacs IMO.

Bill

If you don't have carpet get a Roomba instead. Seriously. Life changing. I'd sell a kidney to keep mine. We have all hard floors, hairy shedding dogs, cats, a 12 year old that rolls in dirt as far as I can tell, and a 2 year old that is always dumping something on the floor.

I love my Dyson! I have the mini one, and I like that it's lighter for dragging up stairs. It does well on both carpet and hard floor, and I love the wand for corners and such. I like that I don't have to buy bags for it, and its suction is amazing.

That being said, I have had to have the switch replaced a couple of times, which is a bit annoying, as it's only 4 years old. It also had a broken undercarriage once. However, their customer service is fantastic, and they covered all of the repairs. I was even able to get a loaner for the time it was in the shop (which only needed to be a couple of days, but it was more like two weeks because I don't live super close to the repair place, and that's how long it took me to get back to pick it up).

I'm still really happy with it.

Too funny...I was about to post how much we hate ours! :tongue_smilie: We're in the market for a new vacuum as well, unfortunately.

This always happens to me when we're talking vacuums. Everyone raves about their Miele but I hate mine. My old Whirlpool was a far more solid machine than this one and far more convenient to use.

I really like my Miele, too! It was much more reasonably priced than I expected. My daughter cleans a few people's houses for extra money, and she always takes my vacuum, because she complains theirs are useless compared to ours. I've threatened to make her buy one of her own!

Saying that, I AM, however, thinking of getting a Roomba, too. I would still keep my Miele for the bedroom carpets. We have a large-ish area of hard floor, and 3 dogs that spend some time inside. It would be great to have the vacuuming done while I do something else!

Dyson lover here....we have an older version of the animal.

I love the ceiling fan attachment and the stiff brush attachments.

We have severe allergies here....we saw a huge difference when we switched to a better vacuum with a HEPA filter. I like not having to mess with bags. The vacuum still has good suction even when the cup is fuller....I just wait until dh is available to dump the cup. :)

Miele. No question about it.

Pwerful motor, great suction, very sturdy build despite being relatively light-weight. Designed with the best of German engineering. Long-lasting.

The greatest single thing about Mieles is there is no dust. The filtering is incredible. The air coming out of the vac is like air coming out of an air-filter, and that is with the regular bags and filters. For those who want to take it further there are HEPA filters that snap in.

The machines are not inexpensive, nor are the filters. But these are fine vacs IMO.

Bill

I second the Miele. We adore ours (especially my husband, who is the one who typically vacuums). When this one bites the dust, we'll buy another. Worth every penny!

DC25 Dyson Ball. I love my vacuum. I empty the canister every time because I am absolutely amazed at the amount of dust/dirt it picks up off a seemingly clean floor. I actually felt so guilty and bad after I got it because I vacuumed dd's floor (she has asthma & allergies) and the canister was half filled with dust and dirt. I had just vacuumed 2 days earlier with my old vacuum. I was mad at myself for not having purchased one sooner, considering dd's respiratory issues.

Technically, though, what do I love about it?

The filter is so easy. Pop off the top, remove filter, wash, and set in the sun to dry.

The roller slides out with the turn of a coin (you don't even need a screwdriver) so you can get all of the hair off the roller easily.

It is really lightweight and easy to use, at least compared to my old vacuum.

And of course, the facts that it does such an awesome job and I don't have to deal with a bag.

Yep. I'm in the Dyson love camp too, I guess.

One more thing: The difference between the Animal and the regular (non-animal?) is the Animal comes with a rotating-brush attachment. I love this little thing and use it all the time. We don't even have animals. :tongue_smilie: The down side is that there is no place to store it on the vacuum itself.

Call me crazy but we have had a Kirby for a LONG time and have never had to repair it (probably shouldn't have said that:)) I love that it has a bag with a hepa filter in it so I don't have to replace the filter, I love that it makes the carpet softer after I sweep, I love that it has a drive button so it can be self propelled. It is the Ultimate G series.

What she said, although I don't know what series mine is. :D

Joy

My husband LOVES his Miele. And honestly the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a, well, a vacuum. I've decided I'm just annoyed by all vacuums. I thought I didn't like it because it is a canister vac, and I am annoyed by having to pull it behind me like a recalcitrant puppy. So I bought an upright*, a Shark Navigator LiftAway. Even with the upright, I'm still annoyed: I can't vacuum under our bed, the arm attachment isn't stretchy enough so if I try to pull it too far without hold the upright still, it falls over and bonks me in the head, etc.

We're talking about getting a Roomba. It's really tempting to not have to "do" the vacuuming.

*Our Miele is starting to break around where the hose enters the canister; the clamps that hold the hose on are loose, and it's a pain to get it attached and unattached. But DH has had it for YEARS! so...