Menu

Great. I just got a letter from the city that a sex offender moved in next door.

I'm kind of ticked right now. He is renting with a bunch of other guys that looked scary. I try not to judge people based on looks so I shrugged it off. Ugh. I am angry. They guy raped a 3-year old. Now my kids are definitely not going for a walk without a buddy and our large dog.

I'm kind of ticked right now. He is renting with a bunch of other guys that looked scary. I try not to judge people based on looks so I shrugged it off. Ugh. I am angry. They guy raped a 3-year old. Now my kids are definitely not going for a walk without a buddy and our large dog.

eeek. that is horrible. I have no clue what I would do in such a scenario.

Rental property? Contact the Landlord. Tell him he might have missed it on screening, but that the guy is a sex offender, tell him what he did and direct him to the website to verify.

Tell him you have young children, and he is now on notice that he has a sex offender violating terms of parole, most likely, living next to young children (not sure - jurisdictions vary) and that he will be held legally responsible if offender violates in the neighborhood again. If I missed something like that, I'd give notice for the guy to vacate immediately.

Rental property? Contact the Landlord. Tell him he might have missed it on screening, but that the guy is a sex offender, tell him what he did and direct him to the website to verify.

Tell him you have young children, and he is now on notice that he has a sex offender violating terms of parole, most likely, living next to young children (not sure - jurisdictions vary) and that he will be held legally responsible if offender violates in the neighborhood again. If I missed something like that, I'd give notice for the guy to vacate immediately.

I contacted our neighborhood busy body. I think he will be on it, he has 8 grandchildren living on this street not to mention they are newborn-13.

I received a notice in the mail of a sex offender that is living on a street adjacent to mine. We're the only house on a dead end street. I took the notice, (which contained a picture of the man, all his info and what he'd done) laminated it and taped it to my front door. I've told my children what he's done (bad man likes to touch kids private places) and make sure they are never outside alone. If he happens to walk by our home, he'll see his mug shot on the front door.

This.

Or move. Not entirely helpful I realize, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

I am so sorry, that would frighten me, too.

The registered offenders are probably less of a threat than those you don't know about yet, those who have not been caught or who haven't acted on impulses yet. I know that doesnt fix your problem.

Our next door neighbor is registered and my kids know he is not to be interacted with.

I wonder if living next to an r-4 ( private homeschool) violates parole?

Edited by tomelay
Autocorrect

:iagree:

You know what? That just stinks. How is it okay for these predators to move into neighborhoods with family, notice or not? How is it fair for normal, law abiding families to have to re-arrange their lives, live in fear, and restrict their children from otherwise safe activities so that these creeps can get a second chance at being a decent human being?

I think we ought to steralize them and ship them all off to a sex offender colony, let them enjoy each others company and keep them out of our hair. :glare:

You know what? That just stinks. How is it okay for these predators to move into neighborhoods with family, notice or not? How is it fair for normal, law abiding families to have to re-arrange their lives, live in fear, and restrict their children from otherwise safe activities so that these creeps can get a second chance at being a decent human being?

I think we ought to steralize them and ship them all off to a sex offender colony, let them enjoy each others company and keep them out of our hair. :glare:

I agree w/you, but the argument is, where SHOULD they live, realistically speaking? They've served their time, are then entitled to rejoin society, so where should they live?

Personally, I think being convicted of being a pedophile should be an automatic 'never get out' sentance.

I agree w/you, but the argument is, where SHOULD they live, realistically speaking? They've served their time, are then entitled to rejoin society, so where should they live?

Personally, I think being convicted of being a pedophile should be an automatic 'never get out' sentance.

But that will get expensive real quick! I think they should all get the death penalty that way there is no worry

They've served their time, are then entitled to rejoin society, so where should they live?

A senior/adult only community? I'm half serious. Keep our kids safe (well, okay, maybe a little bit safer) and them away from the temptation as much as possible.

We have some in our general area, though not that close. Close enough that they hang at the local mall and the park though. I'm guessing most of us in a major metropolitan area probably have some in reasonable proximity. OP, I'm sorry to hear of the situation. :grouphug:

I'm in Canada. No such thing as death penalty here.

We do, however, have what they call a 'dangerous offender' designation. That means that they NEVER get out of prison. Ever.

Paul Bernardo was the first to get slapped w/that label, I believe.

I would be taping flyers ALLLLL over the area!

Legally we are not allowed. I don't think he will live there that long. Guys all living in a house like that tend to have turnover. I wonder what else we have to worry about over there. :confused:

A senior/adult only community? I'm half serious. Keep our kids safe (well, okay, maybe a little bit safer) and them away from the temptation as much as possible.

We have some in our general area, though not that close. Close enough that they hang at the local mall and the park though. I'm guessing most of us in a major metropolitan area probably have some in reasonable proximity. OP, I'm sorry to hear of the situation. :grouphug:

Most of the people on our street are retired which makes it such a great community. Crime is low because there is always someone around.

Do you know that elderly sex offenders live in group homes and sometimes commit offenses against elderly that live there? It's one of those things no one talks about.

Obviously his roomates don't have an issue with what he did, so that is a valid concern.

I wonder if they know. Will their own home get a notification? I will ask the police officer about that and some other stuff when he returns my call.

I really don't think our neighbor would have rented to a sex offender knowingly. He has kids of his own. He's just not an attention to detail kind of person.

It just seems to me that we must have some need for physical laborers in the Arctic region...there just has to be coal under that ice or something...ship them all there. As a tax payer, I'd be willing to pay a wage and provide housing for them to be sequestered away from civilization.

But, I would want only the ones that are guilty, guilty, guilty to go. I do know of a guy whose ex-wife lied about him and he served five years of a long prison for supposedly molesting his daughter. It was overturned when she was bragging to friends about how she won sole custody by lying about him! Sick woman....sick, sick, sick...the thing that disgusted me was that he served all that time and all she got was 30 days in county lock up for perjury....should have been sent to the northern gulag for five years of hard labor!

I really do not have any tolerance for pervs.

Faith

Lots of grandkids and like True Blue points out below, older possible victims.

My children and I review the sex offender web site for our area every once in awhile. There are a few in our neighborhood and the nearby town and I want the kids to recognize them when they are out and about.

Most of the people on our street are retired which makes it such a great community. Crime is low because there is always someone around.

Do you know that elderly sex offenders live in group homes and sometimes commit offenses against elderly that live there? It's one of those things no one talks about.

Good point, don't buy the safety of one group at the cost of another.

:grouphug:

Not much you can do really, other than contact the landlord and keep an extra close eye on your kiddos.

We have one 3 houses down from us that ISN'T registered - I've made numerous complaints to both city and school police about him squatting on the outside of the high school fence {we live looking out onto the HS ball fields} and watching the kids practice while he self-brews:glare:. Nothing has been done even with photo proof. I'm careful to ALWAYS have an adult out with dd and make sure she is well covered - shorts under skirts, pants, etc as I've caught him looking at her a few times too many for my comfort.

:grouphug:

Not much you can do really, other than contact the landlord and keep an extra close eye on your kiddos.

We have one 3 houses down from us that ISN'T registered - I've made numerous complaints to both city and school police about him squatting on the outside of the high school fence {we live looking out onto the HS ball fields} and watching the kids practice while he self-brews:glare:. Nothing has been done even with photo proof. I'm careful to ALWAYS have an adult out with dd and make sure she is well covered - shorts under skirts, pants, etc as I've caught him looking at her a few times too many for my comfort.

True. I am a little angry because school is just getting out and the nice weather we've all been waiting for is just arriving. Grrr.

I looked up offenders and we have 7 within a mile of us - one was a woman.

I think there should be better laws then making them register where they live. Like castration!!! Anybody with me???

I understand the urge, but not only men sexually abuse, and men don't need a penis to abuse. So, that wouldn't quite solve the problem.

I am also surprised that someone who raped a three year old would get one year. I was a victim's advocate for 10 years, only worked with child victims of sexual abuse, and a crime that violent and a victim that young is generally a very high level of felony. In my state the rape of a child under 12 would be a 12.5-25 years sentence.

If he is on parole, it might be a violation to live next door to a house with children. You can call the county parole office and ask to speak to his parole officer. I am assuming you have his name? Just ask to speak with whoever is the parole officer of Blah Blah and someone will connect you to the correct person.

And FWIW, people generally don't offend against kids they don't know or have access to. In 10 years of working with the police, CPS, DA's office and even the FBI a couple times I never, ever worked a case where the defendant didn't have an established relationship with the child. I had an offender next door to me for a while. He did leave fairly quickly. I hardly ever saw him. There was nothing to prevent him from living next door even though I had kids. I told my kids not to talk to him and not to acknowledge him and they were to tell me if he ever said hello to them . He never did.

I just reminded myself that statistically, my kids are in more danger from the fathers of their friends than a known sex offender who has no access to them.

I think there should be better laws then making them register where they live. Like castration!!! Anybody with me???

Indiana tried it. It was not forced, but those with a strong chance of recidivism and fairly long sentences, were offered early release if they agreed to be castrated (it really does take away their "desire"). The ACLU had it declared "cruel and unusual punishment". I'm all for the support of civil liberties, but in this case, I think the ACLU was wrong - what about the cruel and unusual punishment that the victim endured?????

A doctor in Massachussetts did a study (several years ago and if I have a chance, I'll try to find the study online since it's got to be out there in internet land somewhere...I just don't want to accidently end up on one of THOSE kinds of sites) in which he had volunteers who came for chemical castration...they had to visit the clinic X times a year for their meds and if memory serves, it was injectable but don't quote me on that. I don't know how they tracked the perps because so many cases of abuse go unreported, but supposedly it had an 80% success rate of stopping recidivism so long as the participant was in the trial.

I once had a pastor say to me, "As a former prison chaplain, I can tell you that 'once a perv, always a perv'! Murderers can change, thieves can change, physical abusers can change, but pervs don't change. Some even really, really want to but they'll admit the desire NEVER goes away." I don't know how accurate his statements were because obviously he was only going on personal experience, but it stuck with me!

Faith

I understand the urge, but not only men sexually abuse, and men don't need a penis to abuse. So, that wouldn't quite solve the problem.

I am also surprised that someone who raped a three year old would get one year. I was a victim's advocate for 10 years, only worked with child victims of sexual abuse, and a crime that violent and a victim that young is generally a very high level of felony. In my state the rape of a child under 12 would be a 12.5-25 years sentence.

If he is on parole, it might be a violation to live next door to a house with children. You can call the county parole office and ask to speak to his parole officer. I am assuming you have his name? Just ask to speak with whoever is the parole officer of Blah Blah and someone will connect you to the correct person.

And FWIW, people generally don't offend against kids they don't know or have access to. In 10 years of working with the police, CPS, DA's office and even the FBI a couple times I never, ever worked a case where the defendant didn't have an established relationship with the child. I had an offender next door to me for a while. He did leave fairly quickly. I hardly ever saw him. There was nothing to prevent him from living next door even though I had kids. I told my kids not to talk to him and not to acknowledge him and they were to tell me if he ever said hello to them . He never did.

I just reminded myself that statistically, my kids are in more danger from the fathers of their friends than a known sex offender who has no access to them.

From what I understand he pled guilty to Assault of a Child 2nd Degree with Sexual Motivation and yes, he lived with the child.

You're right. It wouldn't stop the women. However, castration does not involve the cutting off of the organ. Castration actually takes away the testosterone producing organs thereby leaving the victim with zero libido and in the process it does tend to make said organ, uhmmmmm....limp. But, the idea behind castration was to take the desire away. This is how Eunechs of hold were "taken care of". No testes, no testosterone...it insured that even around naked women, for the most part, they didn't even have a desire to touch them in a s*ual way. Of course, during the Middle Ages and even the Renaissance, this was done to pre-pubescent boys by some families because they would not go through their voice change and would be eternally "Vienna Boys' Choir Material" or known as "Castrati" since there were singing jobs to be had as most Opera and Operettas were performed, even the female roles, by men and high voiced men were in demand for such positions. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faith

Are they sending out notifications now in all states? Several years ago we had a sex offender move in next door and only found out accidently when a friend discovered it and told us. I called the local sheriff to find out what the offense was and was told that it was none of my business! We did caution our children and keep a close eye on them all when they were outside. Thankfully the situation only lasted about a year before he moved out.

At the same time, unknown to us, the neighbor on the other side was molesting his step-daughter while he was coaching softball. His step-daughter was the same age as my oldest daughter. My daughter was on his team for several years!

I'm thankful that we knew about the situation on the one side with the guy that was registered but the other was really more dangerous for my family.

Are they sending out notifications now in all states? Several years ago we had a sex offender move in next door and only found out accidently when a friend discovered it and told us. I called the local sheriff to find out what the offense was and was told that it was none of my business! We did caution our children and keep a close eye on them all when they were outside. Thankfully the situation only lasted about a year before he moved out.

At the same time, unknown to us, the neighbor on the other side was molesting his step-daughter while he was coaching softball. His step-daughter was the same age as my oldest daughter. My daughter was on his team for several years!

I'm thankful that we knew about the situation on the one side with the guy that was registered but the other was really more dangerous for my family.

They notify in our state. My youngest dd was friends with a little girl whose father was convicted of molesting little girls. I was so happy she never went to her house.

From what I understand he pled guilty to Assault of a Child 2nd Degree with Sexual Motivation and yes, he lived with the child.

Well, that is not a rape charge. It can be difficult to determine from that charge exactly what he did. It can also be very difficult to prove charges when a victim is that young. PLENTY of juries won't believe 3 year old children in court and a DA will take what they can get. The idea being better something than letting him walk.

You're right. It wouldn't stop the women. However, castration does not involve the cutting off of the organ. Castration actually takes away the testosterone producing organs thereby leaving the victim with zero libido and in the process it does tend to make said organ, uhmmmmm....limp. But, the idea behind castration was to take the desire away. This is how Eunechs of hold were "taken care of". No testes, no testosterone...it insured that even around naked women, for the most part, they didn't even have a desire to touch them in a s*ual way. Of course, during the Middle Ages and even the Renaissance, this was done to pre-pubescent boys by some families because they would not go through their voice change and would be eternally "Vienna Boys' Choir Material" or known as "Castrati" since there were singing jobs to be had as most Opera and Operettas were performed, even the female roles, by men and high voiced men were in demand for such positions. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faith

Again, it isn't addressing the problem. Sex abuse and rape aren't crimes stemming from sexual desire. They are crimes of power. If we are in the kitchen and I hit you on the head with a frying pan, that is not cooking.

And Castrati could perform sexually. They were in very high demand as risk free lovers by women of the upper class.

:iagree:scary absolutely scary. I can only imagine the worry I would have about my own kids and my daycare kids if some known sex offender moved in next door (I say known because who knows, maybe there already is kwim)

I hope your neighbor kicks him out. :glare: Then, I hope he gets found out and kicked out of the next place, then the next place, then the next place........

If he has moved in with others, and is not on the lease, the landlord should be able to kick him out based on that fact alone. Most landlords only want occupants living there who are actually on the lease.

:iagree: I don't think they should ever be released.

I had to warn another neighbor who had been letting her kids go and play with the new kids across the street when I saw in the local paper that one of the adults across the street had just been arrested for breaking into and robbing a house and was a sex offender!!!! He was the brother of the dad across the street - a dad who never bothered to tell anyone that he had a sex offender living with them!

The guy is in jail now. No kid is allowed to go play in that house or backyard. My down-the-street neighbor is glad I gave her the heads up.

Call me Mrs. Kravitz (nosy neighbor on Bewitched for those of us old enough to remember) but I keep an eye on things. And make sure the neighbors know it!

Edited by JFSinIL
killed a kitten

One thing I learned from my work with victims is that it is very important to keep track of who has access to your children.

It isn't just who lives in the apartment next door, but who is sleeping on their couch. The den mother might be wonderful, but her college student son who is back for the summer might have a problem. The daycare provider might be a gem, but her now retired and in the house all day husband might not be someone you want around your toddler. Your daughter's best friend might come from a lovely family, but the teenage cousin who is there over thanksgiving might be a creep.

Not all sex offenders are pedophiles. I was taught by the FBI that most aren't. Most are just opportunistic offenders. They might offend against an 11 year old girl or an adult woman if they think they can get away with it. Children are simply more vulnerable and available. That is part of why children and adults with developmental disabilities are so vulnerable.

I feel sick. Apparently they are mostly felons and they are staring everyone down when we drive by as they smoke outside. I'm incensed that they think they have the right to glare at their neighbors. I'm worried about all our animals. If someone will hurt people what will the do to animals?

Like castration!!! Anybody with me???

Rape is about dominance, control and mental dysfunction.

Not about sexual desire. Plenty of offenders, including those on chemical castration paroles, who can not perform sexually still sexually terrorize other people.

Castration is one of those things that sounds good on paper but would not make anyone much safer.

It is generally not wise to give legal advice online, whether you are qualified to do so or not. The laws on this vary from state to state, and in some cases landlords can face lawsuits for housing discrimination for denying housing to sex offenders. They also may not have legal grounds under the state law to evict the offenders, so I would advise not making any statements regarding possible legal liability of the landlord.

Registered sex offenders live near me, in fact we are longish walking distance from a halfway house and treatment center for released sex offenders. Honestly, the ones on the registry are not the ones I worry about. at. all. I feel reasonably safe in this area, as safe as I have when I lived in areas with no listed offenders.

I think the registries make people less safe because the tendency is to focus just on the people on the list. In reality, your child is more at risk from someone YOU KNOW AND TRUST than from everyone on the list. It also causes vigilantism and some people get on the list for bull**** reasons.

I am all for significantly increased sentencing for high risk offenders. I am not for letting people out only to strip them of their civil rights (like shipping them to work camps), put their safety in jeopardy or resort to ineffective solutions like castration (which fail to see what rape is really about.)

Edited by kijipt

I feel sick. Apparently they are mostly felons and they are staring everyone down when we drive by as they smoke outside. I'm incensed that they think they have the right to glare at their neighbors. I'm worried about all our animals. If someone will hurt people what will the do to animals?

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. That has to be scary and frustrating. I hope the landlord is able to help.

I am so sorry you are going through this. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Call me Mrs. Kravitz (nosy neighbor on Bewitched for those of us old enough to remember) but I keep an eye on things. And make sure the neighbor's know it!

Hijack alert... this is funny. I had to explain the "peanut gallery" comment to several people older than me. I thought the thread a while back about the 'pod people' was funny, too. I also had to explain to a younger-than-me cashier (but not *young*) a comment dh made (when we bought hot dog buns, chips, and cole slaw, but no hot dogs) about hot dog buns with ketchup being like hamburger helper, and didn't need the meat (from Vacation w/Chevy Chase). I'm feeling old. :glare:

To get back on topic, I agree with those who say these pervs should never be let out!