Menu

Isn't this the neatest idea to keep kids from leaving toys out?!

I love it! I am so sick of picking up after my kids...when I have nagged them to death about doing it themselves. I am so going to do this. I started throwing their stuff away when they left it on the floor. But this didn't really work so well...they just went and got something else. So I thinned their toys a bunch and try to rotate them so they seem "fresh and new."

Genius...I'm doing this as soon as I locate big bins. I had a situation with my oldest dd recently. We have sugar packets next to the coffee maker, and every morning, before leaving for class, she used one or two. Instead of throwing the empties away, she just tossed them back in with the full ones. No amount of reminding worked. Rather than nag, I fashioned a sign announcing any perpetrators would be charged a $5.00 fine for each empty packet found (did I mention I was beyond over it? :D). I signed it "The Management," and have never had a problem since. I suspect they will all respond to this bin/poem idea. I wonder why my children respond so well to signs? :tongue_smilie:

One thing that could be a problem: dc might decide that they don't want the toy in the bucket anyway. You'd have to have a rule that all items that Mom picked up *must* be paid for with a chore, and there's a penalty (such as no supper until it's done) and a limited amount of time by when it must be done.

I something similar on Pinterest a few months and have been using it ever since. It works GREAT! I have told the kids that any toy that they don't care enough about to work for gets donated after a few days. :) So far, I haven't had to do that.

One thing that could be a problem: dc might decide that they don't want the toy in the bucket anyway

:iagree:

This wouldn't work at our house - my kids are too young - if they don't have one toy they just move onto another - I've done toy jail many times and the kids don't even notice it missing even after months .

So far what works is that we just have regular toy pick up times and we all work together to get it done.

I found that when my children balked at putting toys away, it was because there was too much Stuff and not enough storage room. It's more effective for us to let things get messy, then see what's still on the shelves, and get rid of that. The older child is usually also a good guide to what never gets played with (the younger would never give up anything, but won't notice if it just disappears).

Once there's plenty of clear space and putting away is easy, I don't have trouble getting them to put things away. A sign saying their toys were being held for ransom would just cause misery. Besides, they might get the idea to start using it on me.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

This wouldn't work at our house - my kids are too young - if they don't have one toy they just move onto another - I've done toy jail many times and the kids don't even notice it missing even after months .

So far what works is that we just have regular toy pick up times and we all work together to get it done.

I don't know that I'd use this method, but to me, that would be fine too. You've then lessened the total number of toys, which is also useful for keeping house. And eventually it will pay off - you'd just have to be patient for there to either be few enough toys that pick up is easy or for the kids to get sick of it and give in to do chores.