Menu

Favorite Spelling Program

My oldest did Spelling Workout through E. I needed something different for my youngest, as she did not retain the spellings once we had moved on to another word list. I tried Sequential Spelling, and we love it. My oldest converted, too. It is simple and makes logical sense. There are no workbook busy pages, just spelling pattern words. My youngest is carrying the correct spellings over to her writings, and my oldest is developing an awesome vocabulary due to all the words we've never heard of before. We LOVE Sequential Spelling! :001_smile:

The Modern Speller. I assign the words & sentences first as copywork (in sheets I make with StartWrite) in the AM, then Button does them as dictation in the PM. This is almost certainly too simple for the 4th grader (Button's a rising 2nd grader; we started this book after the holidays).

I think we'll do Wheeler's spelling after, but am not certain.

I think it depends on the needs of your kids, but I've heard great things about All About Spelling! We're using Sequential Spelling w/ my dyslexic dd and it's great for situations where the dc likes patterns and learns that way and/or can't memorize the rules. Also, if I had to do it over again, I think I'd go with Spelling Power- you buy the one book and it lasts you a long time and it has lots of multisensory activities/games suggestions.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Paula

I use Natural Speller because it's multi-level, but I have one who uses it and he's a natural speller. His assignments end up checking his gaps rather than teaching him spelling. It helps if you have a child who doesn't like busy work.

I really love All About Spelling, and I will be using it with my dd5 in the fall.

BUT

At those ages I would look at something else. You have to start at the beginning with AAS. My ds was in 3rd when we started, so we just flew through book 1, then about half way through book 2 I burned out. I think it will be okay with dd taking a lesson or two with each step, but having to prep 2-4 steps for every spelling lesson was just too much for me.

We have just purchased IEW's phonetic zoo. I am looking forward to it. There is a DVD for me to sit and watch that will tell me my part in the program. There is a CD for ds (which we are going to load onto his ipod). It is a much more independent program that I am looking forward to. If you do a search you can read more about it from mom's who have used it, that is how I finally heard about it.

With the ages of you kids I would look at that.

I really want to try out Spelling Plus and it's dictation book. All the dictation sentences ONLY contain current and previous spelling words.

This what we use. I love it! It's easy and quick. We are adding homophones next year.

To add one more to your list - I really like Apples and Pears. We tried AAS, but it was a bit more work on my end. Apples and pears really is open and go, without the extra work of the letters, etc. How to teach spelling made no sense to me. My dd can work on it while I'm doing dishes, and I just pop over to check, etc.

Also seems to be working very well for my daughter. There is a "test" every 10 lessons, so I know she is progressing. Two simple puzzles with each lesson keep her interest up. You can see the entire curriculum in PDF format on their website (a watermark makes it not practical for everyday use).

I really like my SWR. It is related to AAS in its approach. You learn all of the sounds of all of the phonograms and all of the spelling rules, with almost no exceptions (no sight words). It is much less expensive, and you get everything you need for all children through all of school. I also like it because it is very adaptable to differently-abled children. If your child is working ahead or behind, you don't have to worry what level to start out with and can easily slow them down, speed them up, or supplement what you are doing to help them catch up.

A lot of people are talking about The Logic of English right now. It is a spin-off of SWR, and I had a chance to see the materials and the author at a convention this morning. It is much more open-and-go to start out with, and the manual is more user-friendly. It uses a workbook approach, which does not work for us, but maybe it would for you. It is also less adaptable to children that are not average students. SWR also appears to have a greater depth of understanding of the history of the English language.

I really like my SWR. It is related to AAS in its approach. You learn all of the sounds of all of the phonograms and all of the spelling rules, with almost no exceptions (no sight words). It is much less expensive, and you get everything you need for all children through all of school. I also like it because it is very adaptable to differently-abled children. If your child is working ahead or behind, you don't have to worry what level to start out with and can easily slow them down, speed them up, or supplement what you are doing to help them catch up.

A lot of people are talking about The Logic of English right now. It is a spin-off of SWR, and I had a chance to see the materials and the author at a convention this morning. It is much more open-and-go to start out with, and the manual is more user-friendly. It uses a workbook approach, which does not work for us, but maybe it would for you. It is also less adaptable to children that are not average students. SWR also appears to have a greater depth of understanding of the history of the English language.

:iagree: with everything you said. I saw LOE recently at a home school conference as well, and I came to a similar conclusion.

Also, if I had to do it over again, I think I'd go with Spelling Power- you buy the one book and it lasts you a long time and it has lots of multisensory activities/games suggestions.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Paula

We use Spelling Power also...love the program. It takes only 15 minutes a day. It is a one-time purchase and will last us until the kids are done with school.

:iagree: with everything you said. I saw LOE recently at a home school conference as well, and I came to a similar conclusion.

So if I wanted to try SWR for a child that is a beginning reader and has had no spelling, what would I need? I am reading correctly that this is non-consumable?

Edited by PentecostalMom

So if I wanted to try SWR for a child that is a beginning reader and has had no spelling, what would I need? I am reading correctly that this is non-consumable?

You would need the core kit and 2 primary learning logs (one for you and one for the student). There are other things you can order like Cursive First and My WISE Grammar but only the core kit and learning logs are necessary.

ETA: You are correct that it is non-consumable. You only need to buy the student a new learning log each year (you only need to do it once). The primary ones run $5 and the new black learning logs cost $12.

Hello Everyone.

Just wondering if you could share your faves for Spelling programs.

I am trying to decide on Spelling for a rising 2nd and 4th grader.

Thanks

We have tried several, and Spelling Workout is the winner here. My kids actually love doing Spelling! :)

• 2 weeks later...
The Modern Speller. I assign the words & sentences first as copywork (in sheets I make with StartWrite) in the AM, then Button does them as dictation in the PM. This is almost certainly too simple for the 4th grader (Button's a rising 2nd grader; we started this book after the holidays).

I think we'll do Wheeler's spelling after, but am not certain.

I'm just updating this recommendation, in case anybody follows it :). Button worked through the first volume of AAS (without tiles, which he wouldn't tolerate), and then just detested volume 2. I mean, he really really was unhappy with it all the way through the lessons, just miserable. So we switched to Modern Speller which he doesn't adore, but thinks is Just Fine.

We've just wrapped the first section of The Modern Speller, meant to cover the first half of a year, and we are currently in the summer between first and second grades. We are picking up the pace of his writing (I am unhappy with the quality of his writing, and am adding in Evan Moore products to bring us up to the level of a good PS writing program) and I've noticed his spelling is poor. He does know the words from Modern Speller, but doesn't have the grasp of sound patterns he was developing with AAS.

For the summer, I will be supplementing Modern Speller with Evan Moore's Building Spelling Skills Grade 1. It is pitched average to low in terms of challenge, but it definitely includes some patterns he doesn't know and should be fun. When we're done I'll reassess. I plan to either continue the Modern Speller + Evan Moore, or try AAS again.

For Bot-bot, who is mellow and, well, eminently reasonable :D, I hope to use AAS & AAR from the beginning.

Edited by serendipitous journey

After being indecisive for so long and seeing things not work as well, I've decided to tackle spelling my way.

Next fall we're going to do this:

Keep a spelling notebook of frequently misspelled words and words still being learned and worked on.

Week 1 Studied Dictation (nice, short passage from readings and Literature with oh, 6 words or so ds needs to work on) a la Charlotte Mason

Week 2 List of words culled from spelling notebook and Natural Speller: Have ds write them, add prefixes, suffixes, identify verbs and nouns, Spelling City games and test

Rinse, repeat :D