Menu

How have your kids done on standardized tests?

How have your kids done on standardized tests?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How have your kids done on standardized tests?

• Did very well. Just as I expected.
    • Did very well. Better than I expected.
    • Did OK.
    • Didn't do so hot. Just as I expected.
    • Didn't do so hot. Worse than I expected.

Did very well. Just as I expected.

Did very well. Better than I expected.

Did well, but not as well as I expected.

Did OK.

Didn't do so hot. Just as I expected.

Didn't do so hot. Worse than I expected.

Bombed.

Extremely well, like 94-99% on everything...EXCEPT one category of one subject each. Oldest could not do well in math computation, even though she understood all the concepts, which I found odd. Youngest could not figure out capitalization year after year afte year.

Very odd. I guess everyone has their areas.

Mine 3 did very well, it is always a confidence booster for me when I receive the results.

They always do least well in Social Studies. My youngest asks every year, "why don't they ask us history questions on these tests." Having reviewed the tests I have no concerns at all that they don't know some of the standardized social studies questions.

When ds did his for 5th grade, his scores were fabulous (as expected.)

When dd#1 did hers for 3rd grade, they were very good. Some sections higher than expected, a couple lower.

DD#2 just took hers, and they don't look so hot. Checking the mail for results daily.

All 3 of those kids (and I can tell #4, too) are very different learners!

My 6 year old took the Level 7 ITBS and did well and I wasn't surprised by the results.

What is the definition of "very well" for this poll though? Anything above the 90th%?

I wasn't thinking of a strict definition, I suppose. I would say anything above a B (85%?) very well...

It's been a few years, but the dc scored 98 and 99 percentile overall which was amazing for dd (now 12yo) because she is abysmal in math. I don't know how ITBS is weighted but her low, low, low computation scores did not keep her from a 99 overall :glare:. I was surprised that she scored much higher in multi-step problem solving than single step.

I wasn't thinking of a strict definition, I suppose. I would say anything above a B (85%?) very well...

I'd be careful of making connection between a grade like "B" and a percentile ranking. A score of 85% on a test means that a student got 85% of the questions right. A score showing a student in the 85th percentile means that out of 100 theoretical test-takers, your student scored better than 84 of them. Anything about 50%ile is considered above the national average (but that average includes everyone -- non-native English students, and disabled students, and students from very poor and educationally underserved areas.)

Anyway, I like that it isn't defined. Perhaps one parent expects their child in the 99th %ile while another is pleased when their child scores in the 50th.

Older DD bombed her standardized test (STAR) for 2nd grade. I was surprised. Not sure how she did this year, but I assume she scored "basic" or "below basic" for both LA & Math. (Categories are Advanced, Proficient, Basic, Below Basic)

What the tests don't show: she's made steady progress in both areas and she reads on grade level. She's also a creative thinker and talented at hands-on problem solving.

It's been a few years, but the dc scored 98 and 99 percentile overall which was amazing for dd (now 12yo) because she is abysmal in math. I don't know how ITBS is weighted but her low, low, low computation scores did not keep her from a 99 overall :glare:. I was surprised that she scored much higher in multi-step problem solving than single step.

ITBS doesn't include Math Computation in the core or composite scores.

DD did very well on the CAT last year; she was well above grade level for most things, right on grade level for others. That is completely what I expected; her scores did not surprise me at all. When she takes it again next year (we don't have to test in 4th grade here), I would expect that she will get more correct on certain parts of the test, but that may put her right at grade level again.

We lived in a state where testing was not required, and my philosophy of education did not require me to test.

The first time we tested was when the dc were 8 and 11. Younger dd was not really reading at her age level; neither dd had finished a math text of any kind. Both scored within acceptable ranges (I don't remember the grade levels, but if we'd lived in a state that required testing, the scores would have been acceptable).

Didn't test older dd again.

Younger dd went with me to the little school I started at my church. She was 14, and should have been in 9th grade, but we had bumped her up when she was 11 so she could be in the youth group at church. :) So when I tested her at the end of the year (along with the other students), I went with a grade level higher than what she would have been if she'd gone to school all along. She tested 12th grade in everything, a little low on spelling. The following year she tested post-high school in all categories, including spelling.

Not bad for a child who didn't read at her age level until she was 9½, had only done Easy Grammar once, and had not finished a math text until she was 14. :)

My two oldest children have both scored very well, as I expected. There has been a slight learning curve, since we don't do any testing at home. They both missed a couple problems their first year testing, due to learning the format of the test. Those issues disappeared with familiarity the following year. I guess I could have prepped them for the test to avoid that, but I hate to waste more time on the standardized testing than we already do. We're required to test every year and have been using the ITBS.

I gave my son the 2nd grade CAT test at dh's request. He scored on grade level for Language Mechanics, which wasn't a surprise since there was a lot there we didn't cover. He scored above grade level in everything else, which I kind of expected but he did even better than I expected in some categories.

First and second grade went very well for older ds. This year for third did not go as well. His math dipped way down along with reading comprehension. Not too happy about it. We are scrambling to see what we need to do differently. We are making sure he self corrects math and stops his tendency for silly lazy mistakes. Plus, having him read aloud to me and work on more comprehension.

He is a smart, but flakey kid. He needs more attention than I can possibly give him. He has no drive or motivation. I have to drag him through everything.

Well..... we had a horrible time with the standardized tests. To me, it was like spending all your time driving a car in the U.S. and then going to England and taking your driving test there. The first day you arrive. And you've never driven in England before. You know how to drive. You're a good driver. But.... it's a different venue. My kids did fine. All were on grade level. But, I know they could have done better.

I'd be careful of making connection between a grade like "B" and a percentile ranking. A score of 85% on a test means that a student got 85% of the questions right. A score showing a student in the 85th percentile means that out of 100 theoretical test-takers, your student scored better than 84 of them. Anything about 50%ile is considered above the national average (but that average includes everyone -- non-native English students, and disabled students, and students from very poor and educationally underserved areas.)

Anyway, I like that it isn't defined. Perhaps one parent expects their child in the 99th %ile while another is pleased when their child scores in the 50th.

That's true!! I wasn't thinking clearly, I guess.

I totally forgot that 50% is "average" and what the test does is compare your results to other kids' results. It's kind of strange when you think about it that it's purely for comparison, right?

My dS did very well, 90-96 percentile in everything, except for 3 areas where he was 60 - 65 percentile. Advance for the most part, some average, and one below average.

But after looking at how low the national percentile is, I feel like advance doesn't really mean advance, just advance when compared to LOW nationals. Am I right in this thinking?????

Extremely well, like 94-99% on everything...EXCEPT one category of one subject each.

:iagree: For my dd it was geography/social studies (we hadn't studied those areas that the test was over), adn for ds it was spelling (he's dyslexic!). They still scored above grade level on those areas, but not as high as the other areas. They both had a composite of 98th% on the ITBS. They did much better on a couple areas than I expected from the Spectrum test prep books (the ITBS was much easier than the prep!). But overall, I am not surprised.

:DMine did better than expected...but one of my kiddoes bombed one section. That was because he wanted to go out to play....so he just answered and ran, instead of reading the section. Every other section was in the 90th percentile. The very last..."I am sick of this"...section was 30%. It is almost funny. I am not worried except I didn't like that it brought his composite down to the 75%.

I never show my kids their scores because I do this just to fulfill a legal requirement, but I did show him this one. He felt bad and told me my suspicion was correct...and he won't do that again. Live and learn. :D

My dS did very well, 90-96 percentile in everything, except for 3 areas where he was 60 - 65 percentile. Advance for the most part, some average, and one below average.

But after looking at how low the national percentile is, I feel like advance doesn't really mean advance, just advance when compared to LOW nationals. Am I right in this thinking?????

The norming group is supposed to be a cross section of the US population. So if your child is above 50th %ile, that is above the average. But really there's nothing magical about a standardized test. I mean, youre comparing your child to a national average based on a test whose questions may or may not reflect material you've been working on. There's a place for standardized testing, but I wouldn't take it all that seriously.