Menu

why would a used curriculum sale not allow kids, on a weekday morning?!

there is a huge used curriculum sale by me. But it is a friday morning, and they don't allow children under 12 in the building during the sale. And they don't provide childcare, not that i'd leave my 2 year old with strangers anyway. How does that make sense??? If they want it child free they need to do it on a weekend, right? I'm assuming my husband is not the only one that works during the week?

Grr.

I would guess there are a lot of reasons they don't allow children. Maybe there isn't space for extra people in there that wouldn't be paying customers? It could also be a safety reason. I know there are many places that don't want strollers in spaces because they take up room and there is chance of running into people with them. Then it could also be because sometimes small children don't get supervised as well and merchandise could get ruined.

Probably they want no dc because at curriculum sales the moms are busy buying and selling instead of watching their dc, who then get into all kinds of trouble running through the parts of the building not reserved for the sale, stopping up the toilets, pestering each other, getting in the way of cars entering and leaving the parting lot, damaging property, and falling and getting hurt when climbing things that aren't intended to be climbed.

Is it being held in a warehouse? That might be why the no kids under 12 rule - insurance requires it for more warehouses.

:grouphug: I've had to deal with that one too.

No, in a gym. That is part of the school that hosts it.

I would guess there are a lot of reasons they don't allow children. Maybe there isn't space for extra people in there that wouldn't be paying customers? It could also be a safety reason. I know there are many places that don't want strollers in spaces because they take up room and there is chance of running into people with them. Then it could also be because sometimes small children don't get supervised as well and merchandise could get ruined.

I get that. But then, wouldn't it make more sense to do it in the evening, or on a weekend, when spouses are home to watch the kids?

I get that. But then, wouldn't it make more sense to do it in the evening, or on a weekend, when spouses are home to watch the kids?

They probably set it up how it works for them rather than for specific people.

I don't think either way makes more sense, but I definitely prefer shopping without children in the area.

Maybe there are no strollers allowed, and they didn't want to have to deal with making rules and explaining them.

Maybe they are trying to prevent messes and things that occur when children are surrounded by stacks of books and are bored out of their minds as their parents shop.

I highly prefer shopping with no one around--children or adults.

Probably they want no dc because at curriculum sales the moms are busy buying and selling instead of watching their dc, who then get into all kinds of trouble running through the parts of the building not reserved for the sale, stopping up the toilets, pestering each other, getting in the way of cars entering and leaving the parting lot, damaging property, and falling and getting hurt when climbing things that aren't intended to be climbed.

:iagree:

Well, I may be wrong, but I think that most people would have someone available to watch their kids. Another homeschooling mom, maybe, and the two moms could take turns watching the kids/going to the sale. Or a homeschooled teenager. Plus, around here, school is out, so there would be a lot more than just homeschooled teenagers around. Or family. Idk, I guess to me it just seems really rare that people would have no one available at all. :)

They probably set it up how it works for them rather than for specific people.

I don't think either way makes more sense, but I definitely prefer shopping without children in the area.

Maybe there are no strollers allowed, and they didn't want to have to deal with making rules and explaining them.

Maybe they are trying to prevent messes and things that occur when children are surrounded by stacks of books and are bored out of their minds as their parents shop.

I highly prefer shopping with no one around--children or adults.

It's if is vendors, I would guess they are doing it because it works well for them. They probably don't want to work in the evening or weekend.

I think it's ridiculous. A local museum tried to organize a homeschool science program. They didn't allow parents to bring younger children, but expected parents to be present in the building while their children were attending classes. This was during the day. That whole thing flopped big time.

We had this with a Middle School Math team here. We eventually dropped, even though ds liked it, because it was just not realistic. They met in the meeting room of a library, which was the only not quiet part, and siblings were not allowed in there. We were expected to stay and keep younger siblings quiet for 1.5 - 2 hours out in the main part of the library, but not leave. The person running things had one child, who was in college and really and truly didn't get it.

I can see why they have a no child rule at a book sale, but agree that sometime when more other parents would more likely be available would make more sense. For much of our homeschooling time, we were in areas with very few teen homeschoolers, so finding a teen sitter (or any sitter) during the day was not realistic.

Not everyone has this. I don't know any teens. Why would I?

Same here. The only teens I know are the public-schooled children of friends. I have one over once a week after she gets out of school so I can run errands. I don't have anyone who could watch my kids during the day. They're either busy with their own children or working.

No vendors. It is like a flea market, but with just books.

Now that really doesn't make sense. Aren't these people homeschoolers, too??? Shouldn't they 'get it'?

We have a used curriculum sale here soon, too... and it's on a Saturday. AND I'm still going to take DS8, most likely. While it's true that I prefer shopping sans kids, especially little ones, you would really think this particular sale would be more understanding... :001_huh:

No, in a gym. That is part of the school that hosts it.

So is it a homeschool used curriculum sale, or is the school selling their stuff? Or is it a book sale hosted by the school--so not curriculum necessarily, but people are able to bring in any books to sell? So is it homeschoolers selling to homeschoolers, or something different?

Now that really doesn't make sense. Aren't these people homeschoolers, too??? Shouldn't they 'get it'?

We have a used curriculum sale here soon, too... and it's on a Saturday. AND I'm still going to take DS8, most likely. While it's true that I prefer shopping sans kids, especially little ones, you would really think this particular sale would be more understanding... :001_huh:

exactly my point. I would like to sell too, but can't for the same reason I can't be there to buy. I ran a curriculum sale last year, and we did it in the evening.

For a lot of reasons. I would personally very much appreciate a kid-free curriculum fair. Hard enough to keep my gray matter in line without being bumped by strollers and trying to think above all the little voices that DON'T want to be there.

ETA - OP, I have been in your shoes, with little kids and no one to watch them. Curriculum fairs that didn't allow kids was one of many things I was unable to do during those years. It *is* tough, and frustrating, but all part of the choices we make for our families (where to live, with whom to socialize, whether or not to hire babysitters, etc). I hope you can find a way to go, but if not, there will be other fairs at other times, or maybe you can get really good at online curriculum shopping - that's what I learned to do.

Edited by AuntieM

For the many reasons others have stated, I also appreciate kid-free fairs. I've always been lucky and had my mom and MIL available for occasional sitting, and my dh owns his own business so he can be flexible with notice. We also had a babysitting homeschooled teen one block over for many years, and a few friends who are SAHMs with kids in school that I could call in an emergency (though I wouldn't use them for a planned event like a sale).

If you don't have a sitter you can trust, I think it's a good idea to cultivate a relationship with a trust-worthy sitter anyway - ask around for homeschooling teens or college students in the area.

Another idea, if there is another mom in the same situation, maybe you could arrange a park date near the fair -- one mom watches all the kids for an hour while the other shops, then trade off sitting/shopping.

Why? Because many parents won't supervise their children! It's one of the things I've always enjoyed about CHEC's convention--that we didn't have to pay good money and then try to hear while little ones were disruptive. Yeah, it was hard some years. I found I liked being at convention pg than having a nursing infant. I spent too many years in the hallway... I've been to curr fairs where children were allowed and they were going through stacks, opening things, messing things up. If I were trying to sell something, I would NOT be happy to have my stuff messed with. Several of my friends solved the babysitting problem by taking turns--you go this year and I go next year. Not ideal, but it worked. Those without older children, g'parents or babysitters have my sympathy. Wasn't SWB that had to stop a talk for a disruptive child?

:iagree: I don't want kids at homeschool conventions or curriculum fairs. Especially the little ones. They're both disruptive and destructive. I attended the CHEC convention for many years, too. I just hired a sitter for the Thursday and Friday sessions. As did everyone else who was attending apparently, because those conventions were always packed.