Menu

S/O: The voice in your head

IF you hear a voice in your head. Not little voices. :tongue_smilie: When I read or think to myself, I hear a voice and see in pictures/movies. Dh thought it was weird that my inner voice that reads when I read or talks to myself is British. I have different voices and they change with the dialect of what I am reading, but it always defaults to British. He says this is weird because I'm from the Midwestern US. I am a British novel/history/TV junkie, though.

My dh says he does not think in words visually or by "hearing them" and has no inner monologue.

So just curious-what dialect does your inner voice use and is that what you speak?

Yes, I hear voices. I talked about it in this thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239900&highlight=voices+head . The Cliff notes version is that I hear a different voices for each character. If I'm reading a book that has a corresponding movie, I hear the actual actor's voice even though I am not an impressionist. My normal thinking voice is the voice I hear when I speak out loud. When I'm typing, my voice says each word slow enough for me to type it. . . .

It depends on what I've been reading/watching. I was in a Downton Abbey kick for a while and I could hear my inner voice (and sometimes my outer voice) having a bit of a British accent.

My sister speaks with a British accent from time to time. She doesn't realize she's doing it until someone points it out to her. We are huge BBC fans, so it's not that surprising.

It depends on what I've been reading/watching. I was in a Downton Abbey kick for a while and I could hear my inner voice (and sometimes my outer voice) having a bit of a British accent.

My sister speaks with a British accent from time to time. She doesn't realize she's doing it until someone points it out to her. We are huge BBC fans, so it's not that surprising.

:iagree::iagree:

I tend to hear what I'm reading, and when it's a lot of British, my inner voice is British. If I cannot pronounce a word or name, my inner voice will actually STUTTER. :D I also hear each character in specific voices, like another poster said, and get very distracted when they make a movie that doesn't match what I heard. Prime example- I could never get through P.S. I Love You because Hillary Swank is NOT that character. And, as much as I love Katherine Heigl, I don't see her as Stephanie Plum.

I don't have an inner voice of "my" own. I hear my mother. Now, I believe it is MY brain doing the talking, but I hear her voice. When I use the phone I have it to my right ear. I talked to my mother via weekly phone call from age 19-49. So, I hear her in my right ear.

She pipes up when I ask her a question, and sometimes during the day. I can also hear my father, but I have to want to hear him, and I hear him in both ears. I can also will up my brother. The only criteria is you have to be dead. I don't hear the voices of the living. :)

Aren't we humans amazing? I wonder, now, if my father and mother heard their family. No one ever mentioned it, but as I type this, I hear my mother's voice telling me she did. :lol:

My inner voice sounds exactly like my speaking voice sounds to me. I'm always surprised when I hear a recording of my speaking voice and it doesn't sounds exactly like my inner voice.

:iagree: I always have a running narration/commentary/monologue in my head and sometimes I wish I would just.shut.up. :tongue_smilie: :D

:iagree: I always have a running narration/commentary/monologue in my head and sometimes I wish I would just.shut.up. :tongue_smilie: :D

This. Makes going to sleep tricky sometimes. My regular inner narrator is my voice (-ish) but my book-reading narrator voice changes...often it's Britsh. I also sometimes have "deeper layers" of narration--like a commentary on the main thought-narration.

I don't have an inner voice of "my" own. I hear my mother. Now, I believe it is MY brain doing the talking, but I hear her voice. When I use the phone I have it to my right ear. I talked to my mother via weekly phone call from age 19-49. So, I hear her in my right ear.

She pipes up when I ask her a question, and sometimes during the day. I can also hear my father, but I have to want to hear him, and I hear him in both ears. I can also will up my brother. The only criteria is you have to be dead. I don't hear the voices of the living. :)

Aren't we humans amazing? I wonder, now, if my father and mother heard their family. No one ever mentioned it, but as I type this, I hear my mother's voice telling me she did. :lol:

This is really sweet and touching. I hope she gives good advice too. :)

My inner reading voice always matches with whatever I'm reading, if it's a guy that the voice sounds like a man's, if a woman than a woman's, if British, than a British accent, and so on. I didn't start to develop that until I was in my mid to late teens. Before that everything was movie/picture scenes in my head. I don't really have an 'inner voice' of my own. I have an unending stream of music that doesn't exist anywhere else. It's kinda annoying, but it varies according to how I'm feeling so it's a good emotional barometer for me.

My inner voice sounds exactly like my speaking voice sounds to me. I'm always surprised when I hear a recording of my speaking voice and it doesn't sounds exactly like my inner voice.

:iagree: And I don't really like how my voice sounds when recorded.

This is really sweet and touching. I hope she gives good advice too. :)

Indeed, and she is very tactful. She never disagrees with a plan I already have, but only shows up when I "wonder what she would have said", which is exactly how she was in life. :001_smile:

IF you hear a voice in your head. Not little voices. :tongue_smilie: When I read or think to myself, I hear a voice and see in pictures/movies. Dh thought it was weird that my inner voice that reads when I read or talks to myself is British. I have different voices and they change with the dialect of what I am reading, but it always defaults to British. He says this is weird because I'm from the Midwestern US. I am a British novel/history/TV junkie, though.

My dh says he does not think in words visually or by "hearing them" and has no inner monologue.

So just curious-what dialect does your inner voice use and is that what you speak?

I hear voices. The character's voice---not usually my own.

Also, once I've finished a good book I find myself thinking about every day events in the same rythem---flow--- as the book I just finished.

I've never really paid attention before. Now I'm going to be listening for the voices and probably drive myself crazy in the process. In the middle of writing a story so will be interesting to see what voices pop in my head for the characters.

And yes, I'm one of those who has a running commentary going on throughout the day, interspersed with writing story in my head. Brain is constantly busy. Have had to train myself to shut up while listening to a audiobook.