Menu

Is Highschool "TOO LATE" to start homeschooling?

I am feeling led to homeschool my 4 kids (DD15, DD13, DD9, DS7) beginning this Fall, and my oldest is entering 10th gr. (They have all been in public school all the way through)

Looking for suggestions / guidance for this transition.

Questions I have:

1. How do I get the older 2 on board?

2. How to weed thru the curricula quickly and find one that's fun and challenging?

3. Where do I begin?

4. Has anyone started Homeschool during Highschool? I need feedback!! HELP PLEASE!

Thank you all!!!

Edited by Mushiemomof4
typo

yes...the schools in our area are great..."A" rated in fact. BUT we live in an area where drugs are prevalent, and 9th gr was an eye opener for us. We had a very bad year this year. It has improved a lot over the past 2 mos, but wow!! I did NOT realize what she would be up against peer pressure-wise...thought she was equipped with the know-how of what to do...and we were dead wrong. I want her OUTTA there in a bad way. She prob will not want to leave what she knows though....have not mentioned it to her yet.

yes...the schools in our area are great..."A" rated in fact. BUT we live in an area where drugs are prevalent, and 9th gr was an eye opener for us. We had a very bad year this year. It has improved a lot over the past 2 mos, but wow!! I did NOT realize what she would be up against peer pressure-wise...thought she was equipped with the know-how of what to do...and we were dead wrong. I want her OUTTA there in a bad way. She prob will not want to leave what she knows though....have not mentioned it to her yet.

I can totally relate to this post. Wait until after the last day of school though to tell her.

I wish I'd never sent mine to a high school at all. Not drugs (yet?) but there are other evils waiting to devour our children.

so did you pull yours from PS and start homeschool? And if so, how is it going?

Not yet, so I don't know. I was hoping we could get through finals next week so this year's credits would count.

I wish I'd never heard of this school.

There is another option besides homeschooling for us - kid has been accepted to a gifted school in a residential setting. I don't know if this would be better (so busy that no time to act out or parents around daily on which to unload) or worse (idle hands are the devil's workshop and all that).

Our oldest came home after 6th, I don't think high school is too late. Get the kids involved in what they want to study- sciences, history, books to read, etc. Set clear ground rules- what has to be done when, what's picked has to be done, changes can be made later if needed, it's still school and has to be done (no sleeping until 2)- and follow through with consequences. Know you'll have great days and not so great days. In the end building the child's character will be more important than academics. Once I understood that, it was so much easier to school my teen.

You hit the nail on the head. That is EXACTLY why I want to do this. If we don't teach it to them WHO WILL??? I just need to hear from some parents who've been where I'm at who have had success and what to avoid along the way to make the transition smoother.

No - it's not too late to start in high school. It's a great time to homeschool!

DD18 decided she wanted to be homeschooled for her Senior Year. She had always been in public school, but wanted more time for her music.

It was a bit of a transition for all of us, but turned out to be quite a bit of fun!

What if it's not their idea, and may not be what they think they want to do?

Do you ...

A. Say I'm the parent, I know what's best for you and just do it

------OR-------

B. Let your 15 yr old (who has demonstrated a lack of judgement in the past) determine what happens for high school......

WWYD???

side note:

(DD 15 is not struggling in school...is very bright, makes A's and B's and taking all honors, AP classes at Public school... it's the "other" stuff...peer pressure, outside influences...ie: "everyone's doing drugs, drinking, having sex", etc...the music, the input from teachers that may or may not be teaching what lines up with God's word, etc.... Oh, I don't know...I really want to feel like I'm not ruining her life (in her opinion) by trying to give her a better one. Anyone feel me?)

As for getting her on board, do you have a homeschool convention in your area soon? Maybe take her with you, let her see what's available, attend some lectures, etc? I know a lot of teens really like The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I'd let her choose most of her curriculum.

I'll be the lone dissenter. Although it isn't too late to do it for high school, you must have a teen on board. Plus, I'm looking at the other 3. Do you realize you will have 4 people to prep for?

:iagree:

If your teen is on board with the homeschooling, do you have an online public school option in your area for high school? The online option would minimize your daily workload and permit your teen to apply to colleges as a public schooled student.

Obviously, I think homeschooling is great, but there is a learning curve, especially homeschooling at the high school level.

:grouphug:

you might consider attending the florida homeschool convention this weekend..... if you live close enough of course

http://fpeaevents.com/

it says on the right side of the screen you're in FL... so I thought I"d mention that..

anyway, one of my friends pulled his son from public school in middle of 10th grade. In this family's case, it was a feeling that they were "called" to try to homeschool for a wide variety of reasons. The older two children were college age and graduated and successful, but there was just something different needed in education and lifestyle and things like that.

The dad has a really good relationship with his son, who was and is a good "kid" (now just finished 3rd year of college). He told his son "just give me these 2.5 years and if you want to hate me after that, it's ok." and I can remember the son telling me after the first year, how much he liked it. They got involved right away with high school co-ops that were doing biology dissections together, and performing in the local city stage theater.

As the dad told me once, my son had every right to hate me. I pulled him from his friends, from the ocean where he could surf about 4 days a week and hang out with his surfer friends.... moved to a new state with my new job, and started homeschooling. But it was one of those things that really worked well. The youngest child was 7th grade when they started. She just finished high school this month. So, the family worked together. And that was a huge change in that family because the dad had always said, as a pastor he didnt' think homeschooling was right for his family.. LOL.. So, it was a huge change of heart in their whole thinking on it.

Another friend had to pull her daughter home from public school due to grades and drugs and such. They got through it. The daughter was in the end thankful to not be around the problems. Not a religious family like the other one I just wrote about. The teen wasn't against homeschooling because she was bullied and around too many drugs. She did just enough work to graduate and try to get a job and all of that. plenty of troubles in her teen years with parents divorcing, but those problems were there no matter where the school happened. She works as a body piercer now and is expecting a child soon. (She's 21.)

yes... there will be bumps along the way and all of that.... it's work. There are programs out there to make it easier for high school both religious stuff and non religious stuff.

-crystal

side note:

(DD 15 is not struggling in school...is very bright' date=' makes A's and B's and taking all honors, AP classes at Public school... it's the "other" stuff...peer pressure, outside influences...ie: "everyone's doing drugs, drinking, having sex", etc...the music, the input from teachers that may or may not be teaching what lines up with God's word, etc.... Oh, I don't know...I really want to feel like I'm not ruining her life (in her opinion) by trying to give her a better one. Anyone feel me?)[/i']

for some reason when I was typing a moment ago, I didnt see your side note....

that is exactly why my religious, pastor friend started homeschooling his son in middle of 10th grade. (3rd child....) he saw the longer term effects of that peer pressure with his older children when they left college. (one without finishing) and he just wanted to try to give his other two children a better start...

I'm not saying that homeschooling is the answer for your family.. I'm just saying that what you have described was what my friend experienced. and it worked well for them with plenty of work..

-crystal

I certainly hope high school is NOT TOO LATE to start. We will be starting this coming year. I'll have an upcoming 9th grader and a 7th grader. The thought of sending my DC to hs terrifies me! (I work there.....I know). So, we will be homeschooling next year also. I appreciate all the advice and encouragement I get here! :D For the most part, my boys are on board. My DS14 is glad we are going to homeschool. My DS12 is more of a "social butterfly" so I need to do a little more conviencing for him. The one thing that I think will be most beneficial, is the advice to "Deprogram them for a while". Dont start wide-open 7 hours a day. I'm sure that I would have open mutiny on my hands. :D We are going to start the 1st week of August and go ssslllllloooooowwwwww! Just a few hours a day until we ALL get the hang of it. So, remember us in your prayers :grouphug:.

I am feeling led to homeschool my 4 kids (DD15, DD13, DD9, DS7) beginning this Fall, and my oldest is entering 10th gr. (They have all been in public school all the way through)

Looking for suggestions / guidance for this transition.

Questions I have:

2. How to weed thru the curricula quickly and find one that's fun and challenging?

3. Where do I begin?

4. Has anyone started Homeschool during Highschool? I need feedback!! HELP PLEASE!

Thank you all!!!

You wouldn't be the first one to start homeschooling in high school. :-)

I don't know how to get the older two on board if they're opposed, other than having discussions with them about it.

You do need to know the homeschool laws in your state. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot legally. You'll want to officially withdraw them from their schools (once you know what the law is and have complied with it), and request their cumulative records.

You might just have to Pick Something the first year: you need English, history, math and science, plus some fun stuff. Many people, especially the first year, will buy a box of books from somewhere, just to get started. Christian Liberty Academy School Systems (CLASS) is decent, if you want Christian; Seascape Center (Malibu Cove and Seascape Private School) don't seem too bad for secular. Or if you can make it to a convention soon, you might find something similar locally. Personally, I'd want someplace where I could buy the box of books without actually enrolling, so the dc and I could work through things at our own pace, but you might feel differently. :-)

Well, if you've always doubted yourself (presumably for the younger grades) why do you have more confidence when it comes to high school?

While it certainly can be done, it is not the time to put a toe in the water unless you are committed to jumping in regardless.

If you start home schooling high school and it doesn't go well, what will you do? Often public high schools (and many private schools) won't grant credit for non accredited home school classes. This means it is an all or nothing proposition. If you aren't confident that you can/will see it to the end, I would be careful. I would do my homework and ask the school about their policy for granting credit should you change your mind.

We started in homeschooling with our oldest girls when they finished eighth grade and ninth grade because of the social issues you mentioned in our small rural area high school. The younger girl had chosen to be part of the 'wrong crowd' and had over the course of the year gotten arrested for shoplifting, underage drinking, and had run away. She had also been arrested for felony witness intimidation as she was involved in threatening to beat up another girl who was supposed to testify against a drug dealer my daughter had become involved with. Our older girl was being bullied and was tired of the constant sex, drugs, and alcohol atmosphere of the school.

Both girls understood our reasoning. The older girl was willing to give homeschool at try. The younger girl was 'not on board', but she wasn't 'on board' for anything that was in her best interests back then. She was very much involved with that crowd by this point and despite a lot of counseling, therapy, even placement, we never did get her 'back'. She was arrested for selling heroin at the age of 18. She still runs with that crowd at the age of 26. By the time we figured out the problem and came up with a solution she was so strongly bonded to that group it was impossible to break the connection. She would only make an effort if she felt like it, and basically was resistant to learning much of anything from anyone. Some days my only goal was to prevent her from running away from home that day and to keep her alive despite her fascination with that wild lifestyle.

My older daughter was very relieved to be homeschooled and did well. I let her choose her curriculum according to her interests (now I would not give her free choice but rather a choice among a few things I picked). I wish I had insisted on a more academically oriented course list, but she did fine, did a lot of reading, was a lot happier and relaxed. She joined the Army, served in Iraq and is now about to start nursing school, and wishes she studied more math and science than she was interested in back in high school.

It was a difficult transition for us all. I think now that I would have considered starting with a cyber charter, because accountability was a big problem for both girls and I think it would have been helpful to have an outside authority determining the schedule, the grading, ect. at first until I got more confidence and the girls got more used to working at home. The younger one was very defiant and that didn't help.

It was a whole new world. For us, the more help for mom the first couple years the better in the form of schedules, assignments, deadlines, ect. I didn't necessarily feel like I needed to follow something to the letter, but I liked having something very structured that I could adjust to fit our needs instead of coming up with an entire plan or most of a plan on my own.

Now a few years into things and homeschooling younger kids who have been at home for school since the beginning, things are a lot easier.

Edited by Rainefox

Wow! We were able to nip it in the bud with our DD15, we made her drop those "friends" we made her an approved by me playlist for her iPod..no music that had to do with drugs, sex, or alcohol was allowed if the music was secular, and found various Christian hip hop groups that we downloaded that she liked. She has made a major turn around so far and has passed every random weekly drug test we have given. Lots and lots of conversations hours and hours and hours of tears and talking went into helping her change her path. I believe we are on the right track, but I still feel led to take it a step further with homeschool to better solidify her faith as she becomes a young adult and before she enters the unknown crazy world of college!!! Time is slipping away like sand in my hands.... I appreciate all the input from you moms....KEEP IT COMING!!!

PS tomorrow I am attending the homeschool conference in Orlando :001_smile: And I have a good friend mentoring me along the way....Thank God for her!

At the end of my dd's 8th grade year and my ds's 6th grade year, my dh and I decided that it would be best for our kids to homeschool. so we had a family meeting. We presented the case for homeschooling and we had the kids respond. Our dd really wanted to do public high school. Her greatest fear was that she would not have friends to hang out with. As a compromise, We found a 2 day a week homeschool support program that would allow them to have interaction in classes with other kids but where the majority of schooling would be at home. The first few months were a challenge. We've been homeschooling now for three years. dd is finishing her junior year.

Also, keep in mind that as a sophomore or junior, depending on your county, your child can do dual enrollment and get credit for college as well as high school classes (incl. foreign language, upper level math and science, history,etc.) Of course you'll want to determine if the course content fits your world view, but that might be an enticement for your child. Esp. because it is free and means less debt after college.

Blessings!

Do you ...

------OR-------

B. Let your 15 yr old (who has demonstrated a lack of judgement in the past) determine what happens for high school......

WWYD???

side note:

(DD 15 is not struggling in school...is very bright, makes A's and B's and taking all honors, AP classes at Public school... it's the "other" stuff...peer pressure, outside influences...ie: "everyone's doing drugs, drinking, having sex", etc...the music, the input from teachers that may or may not be teaching what lines up with God's word, etc.... Oh, I don't know...I really want to feel like I'm not ruining her life (in her opinion) by trying to give her a better one. Anyone feel me?)

Knowing what I know now -and having a daughter the same age who is also a straight A student -I would go with "This is our decision." I tried doing what she wanted by sending her to this school. It was indeed the "other stuff".

Don't listen to her. She doesn't know what she wants. A highly intelligent academic brain may be there but the judgment is NOT, I have learned.

Mushiemomof4 Wow! We were able to nip it in the bud with our DD15, we made her drop those "friends"

Keep watching. I hope you were successful, but I was not, and have been lied to repeatedly about those "friends".

but I still feel led to take it a step further with homeschool to better solidify her faith as she becomes a young adult and before she enters the unknown crazy world of college!!! Time is slipping away like sand in my hands.... I appreciate all the input from you moms....KEEP IT COMING!!!

Follow your gut.

Are you in the Orlando area? If so I know a lot of homeschooled teens. I am part of a wonderful co-op that has an active membership, and we have several teens. I'd be happy to introduce you to the scene.

also, there are several part time Christian schools in the area. Champion Prep is one that i know of, but look around at the convention. I'll be there too!

I started writing a long message last night but scrapped it. So here's the short version: yes, yes, yes you can begin the homeschool journey in high school! That's just what we did with our older son this year-and we were thrown into "the deep end of the ocean"-we pulled him out of his Christian high school due to severe mental anguish he experienced due to bullying/harassment by boys there. We restarted, from scratch, his junior year on 10/31/11 (his poor grades/performance in the Christian school from late Aug-Oct 10th were a result of the bullying/harassment that he internalized; atypical that he didn't tell us until his mental health suffered. We found out that he was afraid we'd send him to the local big public h.s.). God is so faithful and provided us the resources, connecting the dots for us so powerfully, in 2 short weeks. In the nearly 7 months since we began this journey, I've been amazed at the incredible resources/support available to homeschool high school. So glad to see you're going to the local convention-will be so helpful for you. Good you have a friend mentoring. I'd recommend the HSLDA website and if your state has a homeschool association, look at that as well. (Here in CA there are 3 of these; we joined the Christian one). We operate independently but under a PSP umbrella. Our school year has gone well-yes, some challenging days but overall very good. Highly recommend finding a local network of support (we have several in our area, incl. some specifically geared for Christian homeschooled teens; my son went to a jr/sr prom recently sponsored by that group). Also, see if there are co-op classes available in your area. My son took one this spring via a Christian homeschool co-op. Next fall he'll take 3 classes w/them, including Biology. I wish you well and if you want to msg me privately for more info, I'm happy to help.

i understand there is a good group in my area (Brandon) out of Bell Shoals Baptist that I'd like to find out more info on....

Would be great to meet ppl from other areas too though for field trips, etc... PM me if you'd like and maybe we can meet in person tomorrow??

is anyone else w teens going to Orlando tomorrow?

BTW...I've never been to the convention...what do I need to do to get in, etc?? What's the website? Just heard about all this from my friend the other day....

Well, if you've always doubted yourself (presumably for the younger grades) why do you have more confidence when it comes to high school?

While it certainly can be done, it is not the time to put a toe in the water unless you are committed to jumping in regardless.

If you start home schooling high school and it doesn't go well, what will you do? Often public high schools (and many private schools) won't grant credit for non accredited home school classes. This means it is an all or nothing proposition. If you aren't confident that you can/will see it to the end, I would be careful. I would do my homework and ask the school about their policy for granting credit should you change your mind.

When I say I doubted myself...I think all of us doubt ourselves at some point before making the plunge...for example: will I measure up to what they'd have at PS, will they get the best education, will they have enough social interaction, will it be fun/enjoyable for all of us? ...... the list goes on.... I did not doubt my intelligence...I pictured homeschooling moms as perfectly organized and very focused. I tend to have to work at being organized and can get distracted easily....BUT I'd have to say what's different now is that I feel CALLED to do this...and feel it is a necessary step in training our kids for the world ahead....obviously they don't get that at PS, and they are not with us enough at home when they are at school all day to give them enough in some cases....where as before I often thought it would be fun, etc...

Tim Tebow's don't happen by accident....they are formed by years of love and dedication by parents who care!

I did not realize just how much was lacking until we reached 9th gr in public high school....eye opener!! Kicking myself now for not starting when they were all babies.... :o(

Regarding having to work at being organized and getting distracted easily, good that you know this about yourself. It will help to start off organized-but that doesn't have to be overly complicated. :) File folders/notebook/planner will be fine. Lots of information "out there" on everything pertaining to homeschooling-caution though as it can be overwhelming. I believe it's better to start off simply, then add in as you grow in confidence. Find what works for you. Choose workshops at the convention for beginning homeschooling, and for homeschooling high school. The exhibitor hall can be daunting/overwhelming. Just gather information. You have time to plan this summer, so don't feel pressured to have it all figured out by the weekend. :)

Edited by Donna in Sacramento

I just want to encourage you that it is not too late. I hope you have a great time at the convention. Look, listen, window shop, but wait until you get home and sort everything out to make decisions. It will probably be quite overwhelming.

I would not force a high school student to homeschool. A teenager bent on proving you made the wrong decision will ruin it for you and the other kids. I would talk to her and help her understand the benefits. Not just getting away from peer pressure, but more control over her classes, more input, less busy work. Find out what she doesn't like about high school and see if those are things you could change if she homeschools. Also, make sure that if her biggest concern is not being with her friends, that you are prepared to make sure she gets enough time with peers and discuss how you can both agree to make that happen.

You will have your hands quite full if you start homeschooling 4 all at the same time with elementary, middle school and high school all running simultaneously. You might want to pull just part of the kids out the first year, those who are willing, or those you are most concerned about.

When I pulled my son out after 5th grade, dd wanted to stay in public school. After watching us homeschool for a year, she changed her mind and came home for her 5th grade year. If I had forced her, I would still be paying for that decision.

I would suggest you start doing some homework yourself. The convention is good, but also start reading. You can read The Well Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer and I always recommend 100 Top Picks in Homeschool Curriculum, by Cathy Duffy for a great overview of homeschool styles, learning styles and teaching styles. It might help you know where to start.

Best Wishes

As part of your homework, I would start cultivating resources (from websites & books) to help you launch your journey. Start a file folder for articles/info you print out and info you p/u @ the convention. Also, start bookmarking on your computer useful websites you find.

Two books that were extremely helpful to me: The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling & The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens, both by Debra Bell. She also has a website: http://debrabell.com/

HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense aAssociation)is a wonderful resource, http://www.hslda.org/default.aspx

Check the website for the organization putting on the convention you're planning to attend. Just Google the name of the organization. I'm certain they will have good info on beginning to homeschool and have resources to point you to.

Cathy Duffy's Reviews-so helpful but I never bought the book :), just got my info from her website, http://cathyduffyreviews.com/

i understand there is a good group in my area (Brandon) out of Bell Shoals Baptist that I'd like to find out more info on....

Would be great to meet ppl from other areas too though for field trips, etc... PM me if you'd like and maybe we can meet in person tomorrow??

is anyone else w teens going to Orlando tomorrow?

BTW...I've never been to the convention...what do I need to do to get in, etc?? What's the website? Just heard about all this from my friend the other day....

My son will be 13 this summer, if you go with your daughter, and you think it would help her to meet a kid that is homeschooled, feel free to PM me. But I don't know if a younger boy would carry much sway with her.

The website is FPEA.com. Click on convention. I think it is too late to register online, but you can register when you get there.

Do you ...

------OR-------

WWYD???

side note:

This is one of our main reasons for continuing to hs through high school. Coming out on the other side knowing this made it worth it. He was on board, in that we discussed, we prayed, and he knew our decision was final. He did dual enroll his jr and senior years and earned some college credit.

If God leads you to it, He will lead you through it. Praying for His wisdom.

My dd is just finishing 8th grade at a very nice private school. She loves it there- has lots of friends- not the wrong crowd. This is the top prep school in our area and the students all go on to good colleges, some to Ivy League.

We had homeschooled until this year- 8th grade. But, to her chagrin, we decided to pull her out and homeschool her again. We like the school- much better than the "good public school" in our area. But we like homeschooling better.

Several reasons. First, she wasn't getting enough sleep because she had to get up in the morning and because she had so much homework it was hard to get to bed early. As a result, she was irritable and cranky.

Second, she was becoming very peer-influenced. Classical music, which she had alway enjoyed, was now "boring". She likes popular music, such as Adele, just like every other girl in her class. She wears the same skimpy clothes the other kids wear. She reads the same popular books (Hunger Games) the other kids read. She watches the same movies, eats the same foods, etc. She was losing herself to fit in with the peer group.

Third, we lost some of our relationship with her. Instead of having nice family time, it was extra-curricular activities and homework all evening, every evening. She had a couple of hours of homework every night. We used to play games, read books, watch movies, etc. together. That was all completely gone. Instead, it was just homework, homework and more homework. Our relationship suffered as a result of the loss of time.

Fourth, she picked up some of the habits of her peers. She learned some poor communication techniques, despite the fact that these kids are much better behaved than public school kids. She interrupted people. She talked over people. She became verbally agressive. She used the "cool" words. Everything is "creepy" now. She showed disdain for other people in ways she never used to. She was becoming a different person and not in a good way.

She is an excellent musician, but her music did not improve there, because she didn't want to stand out and be different from the other kids. Also, the music class wasn't challenging for her because the other kids are at a much lower level.

She did learn some things that are good. Her writing improved a lot- she had a good English teacher. Some of her teachers are very good people and good role models for her.

She really enjoyed the sense of community at the small school.

She hates it, but she is she is coming home next year. She will get over it. She can keep all of her old friends. Some of them won't be there next year either.

And we have learned that we like homeschooling and that homeschooling high school is probably more important than homeschooling younger kids. It's in high school that kids can really go astray and homeschooling helps ensure that won't happen.

And our situation wasn't one where she got in with the wrong crowd. It's more that she got into the whole teen culture thing and she lost herself and her values in the process.

We did some soul-searching and decided that until she is 18, her education is the parents' responsibility, not the child's. We did take her wishes into consideration and it was a very very difficult decision, but I think and hope it was the right one.

I hope our story is helpful to you.

We were there all three days of the convention. We had a less than stellar academic year this year for one of our dc, but I find that going to this convention really encourages me and recharges my batteries for the next school year.

So how did it go? What are you thoughts after seeing all the thousands of parents at the lecture and vendor halls, all in different family situations but all doing what they believe is best for their children?

For me the first time I went....quite sobering and nice to know that I am not alone on the homeschool boat. This is our tenth year since. Time goes by fast.

I went to the Orlando FPEA convention over the weekend and learned a lot! I was very encouraged by the moms/dads I met, and my decision is solidified even more so.

I am waiting till PS is out (june 8 here) to have the family pow wow and tell them what's up for next year.

I found some curricula at the convention that I feel best lines up with my heart's intentions for homeschooling.

1. Core subjects - My Father's World (strong Bible base) and seems to be the most interesting

2. Science - Apologia

3. Math - Saxon or Teaching Textbooks (both seemed good) I have heard a lot of good things about Saxon for the older grades.

Also a very cool tool that many of you may want to check out is this planning software...right now it's in beta so it's at a discount till it goes full sight live in August (I think) I think this is a really good tool for keeping track of your things for Evals and end of year stuff...especially for older kids. Here's the website: http://www.homeschoolconvention.com/mywellplannedday.html

I have to say I have butterflies in my tummy over jumping in w both feet, but I have been prayerful and am still seeking Him daily and I know He will guide us through this and I have a feeling that it will turn out to be some of the best years our family has ever had.

Please post your story if you began homeschooling in High school with a reluctant teen and it turned out great! I would love to read your testimonials. Thanks to all of you for your time and effort in your thoughtful posts. You all are wonderful parents.

Does your daughter have any particularly beloved extracurricular activity?

I was firmly devoted to horses & martial arts in high school & the best way to get me to be "on board" with homeschooling would have been to be 110% behind letting me pursue those activities to the fullest. I didn't have that many close friends in my high school (public) anyway - most of them were from online groups & either in college or in different schools.

Our junior in h.s. asked to be homeschooled in October after experiencing severe bullying/harassment by other boys in his Christian h.s. We began homeschooling-starting the school year from scratch-on 10/31. Once we made it through Christmas season to the new year, he struggled a bit with the change; having gone through most of his school years in either a Christian school or public charter school setting, he was starting to struggle with the adjustment.

So we found a class for him starting in late Jan. with a local, Christian homeschool co-op. There were about 18 students, mostly 10th-12th grades, in the class. He loved going. In fact, through this co-op (it is an excellent one) we learned of a jr/sr prom being held in the area for Christian homeschooled students. My son wanted to go-and many that he knows from the co-op went as well. One family had a pre-prom picture taking party at their home; another family organized rides from the venue to their home for the after party. I have to tell you that these are some of the most genuine, socially engaged teens I have met, with strong hearts for God. Is there a co-op near you that you could look into for your children, esp. your dd15?

In late December, ds17 started bass guitar lessons, which he takes during the day on Wednesdays. This lesson is private but there are many homeschooled students coming and going during that time. (The studio caters to homeschooling families). Does your dd15 have an area of passion-fine arts, horses, sewing, etc- that she could take lessons for/spend time on in the daytime?

Another interest my son had was to get more involved volunteering with youth group at church. When he was attending a "brick & mortar" school, he often had to skip the Thurs night h.s. youth service because he had mtns of homework to do and/or tests on Fridays. Not only is he a regular attender now each week, but he goes in early to provide tech support for the youth worship band. And that has now morphed to him going in on Sundays @ 7:30 am to provide tech support for both the 9 am jr high worship and the 11:15 sr high worship. He loves doing this-and it wouldn't have happened were he not homeschooled-he simply would not have had the time. His most recent addition to volunteering at church is to help in Kidsway, the elem children's pgm. Are there areas of interest for your dd15 where she could use her gifts/talents to serve others?

Finding the local resources takes a bit of looking. Our experience was that we would speak with one person who told us abt another resource-God just connected the dots for us, and quickly. He is faithful and I will be praying for you!

Edited by Donna in Sacramento

I started homeschooling my son when he was in 9th grade. He was in public school up until then. He did very well and is college.

I had him help choose curriculum. I chose several options and he got to pick what he liked best. I do that now with my daughter, who's now in high school.

He joined a community youth symphony to continue his trumpet-playing, and took martial arts classes for PE. Since we knew many others who homeschooled kids in high school, finding support wasn't a problem.

It is hard to give a definite 'yes or no' about it being too late...

When people ask me this question here - I say it all depends on their relationship with their children....to which is related - how truly peer dependent they have become?....

And I'll add, your management style...how control oriented you are...how dependable the student is...if they have habits of lying already, etc...

We took my oldest out for 9th grade - due to discipline at school issues. I think it was one of the hardest years of my life. I'm still really glad we did it as we got him back a little bit. But he was so unhappy that dh sent him back to school the following year. The whole thing was complicated as we used all correspondance courses so that he would have official credits in case he would go back to school. At the same time, all that paperwork was crazy. We didn't do any kind of transition time to try to figure out how to meet his learning needs, to get him on board...

Do you enjoy each other's company? - as you'll be seeing each other a lot!

There's a good book called Hold on to Your Kids by Neufeld....that discusses peer dependency...getting them involved with other adults...

If your oldest is already doing AP courses, some of the materials that you have chosen might be too easy....

Joan

You might want to have a look at Florida Virtual School. www.flvs.net

We are using flvs this year for the first time and LOVE it! Wish I had found it earlier. Dd13 is only using it for Math and LA - it has been wonderful for her. She is only 7th, of course, but I have several friends using flvs for high school and are very pleased. You can do one or two classes or the whole shebang.

We took my oldest out for 9th grade - due to discipline at school issues. I think it was one of the hardest years of my life. I'm still really glad we did it as we got him back a little bit.

This is the thing. Yes, it can be done. Yes, I'm very glad that I did it with my dd (who came home after failing 9th grade). She cried a lot to go back, but we didn't send her back (well, we compromised and let her go back for a class or two, but I'm not sure that was a good idea).

So it can be done, but it's hard. Very hard. Like Joan, the hardest thing I've done, and I've done some hard stuff.

The power of culture is not something to look at casually. It can virtually define a person, especially during the teen years. It is not logical and cannot be fought with reason. If your child is on board with homeschooling, then all is well. But if not, I think you have to not be sure about your child so much as being sure about yourself and your commitment to this step being the very best way you know to parent this child...

Julie

The power of culture is not something to look at casually. It can virtually define a person, especially during the teen years. It is not logical and cannot be fought with reason.

Exactly!

Acceptance is unbelievably powerful in its motivational effects.

I've known some children who came out of school who weren't even into the group thing, but were so used to group learning and distractions that they wanted to go back. At first I thought it almost impossible for children to adjust back to home.

But then I got to see a family where the children were happy back at home. The relationship with the mother was very good and the family had its own culture and they had a strong community of friends, who although they weren't HE, gave friendship....

Joan

The more I pray about it, the more at peace I am with the decision to homeschool....I actually think it's going to be a really special thing. I'm blessed to have a friend mentoring me, and she has successfully schooled all 5 of her kids for a long time.

'Fortunately, I have a very close relationship with my kids, (even DD15) and I feel it will only get better and stronger. I can't wait to see the Lord work in their lives and direct their path and purpose for their lives. The anticipation of getting to be a part of that (more so than before) makes me very excited!

I don't see very many kids starting out in HS though (however I know they must be out there...) so maybe I am to be one of those to forge the way for someone else down the line...you never know.

As long as we're obedient to what the Lord is calling us to do, we will be OK. I do expect there to be some bumps along the way, but if I did not feel competent i would not even try. This is the biggest task I've EVER tackled thus far in my life...and I'm going to give it my all.... Bring it!!

I really enjoy reading everyone's comments...so please keep them coming!

:grouphug: you all are great! I just joined this forum and feel the love already. Thanks so much to you all!!!

I can totally relate as well. I had no idea what was going on in our "top rated" schools that my two oldest attended. Then one day my son came home from school and said he couldn't go back there. When I talked to the one administrator I had found, that would actually be transparent with parents, she said 15 arrests had been made in the previous 6 weeks and there would have been more if kids hadn't been tipped off. This is a wealthy suburban area.

After this I homeschooled my son. It was his senior year, last quarter. It was rough to start at that point, having only started homeschooling our then 8 yr old, but we managed to get things done to finish out his senior year. To make the transition easier I used BJU which was very similar to traditional school. Also learned that no one had taught him how to write, yet he was getting "Bs" on papers.

I could go on about how we found out parents are not supporting other parents to protect our children. We thought it was universal that parents wanted their kids to be safe, but we found them complicit in allowing pretty much anything to go on and didn't feel it was their place to tell the parents if they knew other kids were in danger or heading down a bad road. Hind sight.

Julie

Mom to dd24, ds23, and dd14