Menu

funniest read alouds ever

moonlight

we have just started read alouds and my boys are enjoying them.

they've both decided that they want anything that is really funny.

so what is your favorite read aloud that is laugh out loud funny. rolling on the floor funny would be even better! something that would appeal to a 5 and 9 year old would be icing on the cake!! but i'll take anything...

they're loving mrs. piggle wiggle right now and we're whizzing through those books.

thanks,

seema

Pippi Longstocking

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Great Brain (and others)

Here Lies The Librarian

Alice In Wonderland

Winnie The Pooh

Cheaper By The Dozen

Matilda/The Witches/The BFG

The Wayside School series (Sideways Stories, More Sideways Stories..)

Pippi Longstocking

Henry and Ribsy

The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks: My 5yo is loving this, but I've edited on the fly, as there are words like stupid and dumb, which is forbidden ;) and also the boys deceive their parents (relatively benign, but still, I didn't like it), which snuck up on me. We discussed it, and I'm not even sure if the girls understood that the boys were being less-than-honest.

Peter Pan at 1! They thought it was hilarious. Still don't know why, but they enjoyed it from the beginning till the end.

For the rest... there are lots of funny books.

Alice in Wonderland cracked them up and the Spiderwick Chronicles made them laugh a lot.

The 3rd book of Narnia too, that nephew was extremely funny.

Pippi Longstocking is one of their favorites, together with Jip and Janneke (do you even have those books in English? They are Dutch by origin). We also have Wiplala, but I don't know if it's translated into English. Same thing with "Dolfje Weerwolfje". They made a movie of that last one, so maybe it's translated.

The book we are reading right now is also really funny. It's called "Bliss", writted by Kathryn Littlewood. It's about a bakery where the parents use magic in their bread/cakes/donuts etc... the parents have to go away from home for a while, the kids have to stay and run the bakery. It's really funny.

Edited by Tapasnaturalles

The Ramona and Henry Huggins books had us laughing pretty hard. The kids latest ROFL laughing is Life of Fred.

We just listened to the Audible version of the Ramona series read by Stockard Channing, and yes, it was laugh out loud funny. We are still quoting it and saying, "remember when..."

Thor's Wedding Day By Thaiallfi the Goat Boy (Bruce Coville)

From the moment I heard my master, Thor, bellowing that his hammer was missing, I knew we were in trouble.

I just didn't know how much.

I certainly didn't expect I would end up in a dress, pretending to be his serving girl!

As if that wasn't bad enough, I had to deal with two cranky goats, a love-crazed giant, and an enormous rat named Skalpa..

Oh, and did I mention the dwarves?

And Loki the god of mischief?

Let me tell you, it was enough to make a goatboy wish he was back in Asgard, shoveling dung. But don't take my word for it. You can hear the whole, horrible story for yourself. I just ask one thing. Please don't laught too much.

It's all still pretty embarrassing

Sincerely,

Thialfi (Thor's Goatboy)

... and you get to see Thor have to wear a wedding dress and pretend to be a pretty maiden.

I wanted to second the Ramona series. My boys favourite was Ramona and Beezus - they laughed out loud many times while we read. We are now on Ramona Quimby age 8 and it is still funny (they love when she cracked a raw egg on her head) but not as funny as Ramona and Beezus.

Not chapter books but my ds's love anything by Jon Scieszka... Stinky Cheese Man, Math Curse, Science Verse. Anything by Bill Peet is usually hilarious. Comics from Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes. Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky.

My kids also have recently come to adore the Ramona Quimby and Henry Huggins books.

Mowat's Owls in the Family for younger, The Dog Who Wouldn't Be for 10/11+ (the latter is written for adults; parents wishing to avoid all mentions of anything would do well to skip it; I read it to my then 9yo and she's still at least outwardly fine :tongue_smilie:)

The Magic Pudding (this is a nice edition, with a single racial epithet removed with an explanation in the introduction)

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Wrede - your 5yo may not be quite ready, but it won't take long; these are sometimes marketed as YA, but there's no remotely questionable content

The Land of Green Ginger by Noel Langley

The Great Piratical Rumbustification and The Pirates' Mixed-Up Voyage by Mahy

Open Me... I'm a Dog (picture book, but wonderful)

Astrid Lindgren's Lotta and Karlson/Karlsson books (Lindgren is more than just Pippi :001_smile:)

The Thirteen Clocks and The Wonderful O by Thurber

Bunnicula and other books by Howe

There Be Monsters by Alan Snow (works best if you can do voices)

Mrs. Pepperpot stories

Daniel Pinkwater

ETA: The BFG

Edited by nmoira

There's just something so delightful listening to how different people taste like - so BFG; or how stupidly wicked 2 people can be, so The Twits; or having on hand a checklist of witch traits, so The Witches; and lastly, how some parents can be so absurdedly unaware, Matilda.

Dd is not sensitive, so listening to these stories at 5 was not a problem, but his books can be controversial.

Guest samsonkc

My girls love Dewey the Library Cat. A true story about a library cat in Spencer, Iowa. We have it on mp3 and my 4 yo sneaks it away to listen again on her own. The cat dies of old age at the end but that is how it really happens... My girls had a blast looking the cat up on the Internet and seeing pictures described in the story.

My girls love Dewey the Library Cat. A true story about a library cat in Spencer, Iowa. We have it on mp3 and my 4 yo sneaks it away to listen again on her own. The cat dies of old age at the end but that is how it really happens... My girls had a blast looking the cat up on the Internet and seeing pictures described in the story.

Do you children listen to the chapter book version? Youngest really liked the picture book version but from what I remember of the chapter book version is it would take lots of on the fly editing.