Menu

Frustrated with used curriculum pricing...

AngelBee

A local mom set up a used curricula board on Facebook. It started with just a few moms and after just a few months we are up to hundreds in our city.

What a great idea! For those who feel that their stuff isn't worth the time to sell, why not try starting a lending library in your homeschool community? Our co-op has one, and we have a lot of great stuff in it now. It's been a real blessing to myself and several other people.

I will often just buy new, especially if amazon has it on sale and with free shipping; I'm not thinking so much resale value as I am getting it through several children. If it's got any value left when they're all done with it, I can donate it to someone. I buy used when I can find a good deal (and I have found several of those, but it can take time).

To add to the mix...I'm in Canada and we are very blessed to be in a province that receives funding from the gov't for homeschooling purposes. That being said - people here ask a fortune for their used books, which I find very disappointing. They didn't actually pay for the majority of these books out of pocket, so they make 100% profit on it. I would much rather pass my books on for free and help a family that needs it. I just don't understand the way people think...

I am happy to save anything on books as long as something is not in poor condition. I don't expect any great savings. Most books cost the seller around $3.50-4.00 to ship and process paypal fees. So, if I cannot make any decent profit after that, I'd rather list it on paperbackswap and at least get a book shipped to me for free in return. I have lowered prices if something doesn't move.

If I have the option of buying new for $20, for example, or used for $16, but I would rather pay $10, I have three options:

1. spend $20

2. spend $16

3. wait for a copy selling for $10

Edited by nestof3

I have often wondered the same thing...most recently b/c I was looking for a copy of SOTW 2. I saw used copies being sold for as much as $15 (for just the book) and finally purchased mine new off Amazon for $10.81 w/free shipping.

I tend to trust most people when they say like new. I know it happens so often that curric gets purchased and never used for one reason or another. I have wasted copious amts of $$ doing this at times myself, and would like to recoup as much as I can when it happens. If I can get like new from another seller for a price that includes shipping and is only about 10% off, then I will. It just helps other homeschoolers. We all have to spend a lot of money on curric and it absolutely S U X when you spend money on stuff that doesn't end up working out. As much as I prefer helping out other homeschooler's, I still absolutely refuse to spend MORE than what I can get something for new.

I try to price my used stuff for 50%, but sometimes shipping pushes it up a bit.

Recently was looking for a science program used. Had several people offer their used sets for 85% or more of the new program price. At that price point, I would rather buy new and have the warranty and guarantee that usually comes with a new item.

To add to the mix...I'm in Canada and we are very blessed to be in a province that receives funding from the gov't for homeschooling purposes. That being said - people here ask a fortune for their used books, which I find very disappointing. They didn't actually pay for the majority of these books out of pocket, so they make 100% profit on it. I would much rather pass my books on for free and help a family that needs it. I just don't understand the way people think...

I generally pass on stuff too but it could be that some of those families selling their books ARE the families that "need it" and the bit of extra money they make off those books gives them extra money for bills, groceries or extra-curricular opportunities for the kids they mighr not be able to afford otherwise.

Who knows?

I don't think my choice to pass things on reflects anything virtuous about myself as opposed to those who sell. The truth generally is that I'm just to darn lazy to put the work into selling things and as a result miss out on income that could be put to good use. I tend to admire those moms who know how to convert their extra stuff into extra money for their family.

Thanks for the facebook link!

Like others, if/when I buy used, I really want a bargain (at least 50% off). I will pay more like 70% if in like new condition or offer free shipping. I don't mind paying full price from publisher if/when part of the money goes to missions (like MFW).

I wish there was a list somewhere of local homeschooling fairs where one can buy used and not pay shipping - how does one find out about these?

Oh - I forgot to mention - I've the recipient of hand-me-down curriculum (my wonderful sister-in-law). The good thing, obviously, is it doesn't cost us. The bad thing, though, is that I feel as though I have to treat the books better-than-ever so I can give them back and allow her to sell or give to someone else.

Yeah, I was just looking at an ad this morning for one that was about $1 less than new. Okay. I understand why, though -- because of shipping. Big companies pay less for shipping.

But it also makes me laugh when the seller encourages the buyer to buy insurance or tracking info. The buyer is protected, under paypal or credit card transactions, so it would actually be the seller who'd want those, not the buyer.

I figured if I used a curriculum that I purchased, than I got 100% of my value for it. If I don't need it anymore, then I don't need it sitting in my house, so I price my stuff to SELL. I often price it lower, 50% or so, because even if that is all I get from it, it's still means I only paid 50% for it myself.

There's only a few curriculums that I've sold for a bit more, because they hold their value, like Teaching Textbooks.

I don't get those that try to sell at near-new prices, even if the stuff is near new. I've seen listings where I could get it for $1.00-$4.00 more brand new from Amazon.

:iagree: This is basically how I feel...

I don't think my choice to pass things on reflects anything virtuous about myself as opposed to those who sell.

I don't see my choice to pass on things as virtuous either and my apologies if it came across that way. I only look at the situation differently, I guess. We are far from financially "rich" ourselves and without a doubt could use extra money, however, I just don't feel right charging someone for something I got for free. I would feel the same way if I gave someone a playpen, for example, only to have them make a profit off of it. It just the way I see it - kind of like "pay it forward" if you will.

I figured if I used a curriculum that I purchased, than I got 100% of my value for it. If I don't need it anymore, then I don't need it sitting in my house, so I price my stuff to SELL. I often price it lower, 50% or so, because even if that is all I get from it, it's still means I only paid 50% for it myself.

Right. That's what I do when I've USED a curriculum also. I've also given quite a bit of it away. On the other hand, if I bought something new and decide not to use it a few weeks later, just beyond the return period, I will price accordingly--usually 70% or so of new price (from amazon or RR--not the most expensive place I can find.) depending on the market for that item. If someone would rather pay more for the same item in the same condition from amazon, that's their prerogative.

I guess I don't understand why people get frustrated that some sellers don't price things as low as they would. The sellers will either sell them at those prices, lower their prices, or swap/donate them.

People sell all sorts of things -- cars, houses, animals, and books. Why not get as much as one can to contribute to the cost of next year's books? If you'd like to price low, give away, whatever -- great. But, these threads always seem to make sellers out to be "bad guys" for not giving bargains.

A seller should not have to "really need the money" to price at 25% below Amazon's price.

I guess I don't understand why people get frustrated that some sellers don't price things as low as they would. The sellers will either sell them at those prices, lower their prices, or swap/donate them.

People sell all sorts of things -- cars, houses, animals, and books. Why not get as much as one can to contribute to the cost of next year's books? If you'd like to price low, give away, whatever -- great. But, these threads always seem to make sellers out to be "bad guys" for not giving bargains.

A seller should not have to "really need the money" to price at 25% below Amazon's price.

:iagree:

OTOH, I recently posted something and the very next day amazon lowered the price to be very close to mine.

I appreciated it when someone gave me a heads-up on this. I ended up keeping the item in question, but did lower it for a time.

:iagree:

OTOH, I recently posted something and the very next day amazon lowered the price to be very close to mine.

I appreciated it when someone gave me a heads-up on this. I ended up keeping the item in question, but did lower it for a time.

I had that happen, too. The amazon prices jump so often, that it's hard to keep track sometimes! I'm glad when people PM me to let me know.

I'm not frustrated, I just think it's interesting. However, maybe the real cause of frustration is the cost in general, which is hardly the fault of the person selling used? I have been very blessed with some nice bargains, though. And I appreciated them so much.

For what it's worth, as I said earlier in the thread, I sold at around Amazon's price several times, both hs books and others, and I still lost money due to postage. This was pre-prime. I do think there are some people who will buy this way on principle because they don't want to buy from amazon or another big store or want to support people, etc. But I confess to being annoyed when as soon as I bought Handbook of Nature Study used from someone, amazon lowered the price a lot, and my book arrived with a cracked spine. Blah. Whatever. I don't use it much anyway, but that's another story.

I'm a cynic. I thought those wildly high books on Amazon were money laundering.

I went to my cart just now and was greeted with this alarming message

Please note that the price of Exploring With Squares and Cubes has increased from $5.93 to $500.00 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

Guess who won't be buying that book from hippo books, fulfilled by amazon.

Please note that the price of Exploring With Squares and Cubes has increased from $5.93 to $500.00 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

:smilielol5:

:blink:

You know, Amazon should have some sort of regulations on this. I'm just saying, that's a ridiculous price jump, and if it was an accident on the part of the seller, at the very least, Amazon should notify them, right?

I could totally see me hitting that buy with one-click button and accidently buying something without noticing the price change :willy_nilly:

That Hippo Books has over 14,000 pages of books, many of them are priced at $500 :001_huh:

I don't mind paying a higher price for items in new, like new or even very good condition. I figure every bit of savings is a savings to me, and it helps out a fellow hs'ing mom. This is especially true on higher priced items.

My issue is calling something excellent, it only being slightly cheaper than new, and when it arrives it's in very poor condition. I have several "excellent" condition paperbacks that have brown, crinkling pages. For that reason, I've gotten very picky about paperbacks. I'd rather buy new and know it's new.

You know, Amazon should have some sort of regulations on this. I'm just saying, that's a ridiculous price jump, and if it was an accident on the part of the seller, at the very least, Amazon should notify them, right?

No! Because Amazon is setting the price! I think? Whatever. I'm buying from Alibris and getting it over with! $4.99 total. Whew, I just saved $495. snort

Edited by stripe

I think some 3rd party sellers do that because if it's hanging around in your cart, it means someone else can't buy it... and sometimes people leave things in their carts forever without really thinking about it. So they have it automatically set that if it's in your cart for more than a certain period of time, the price goes up to something ludicrous.

I think some 3rd party sellers do that because if it's hanging around in your cart, it means someone else can't buy it... and sometimes people leave things in their carts forever without really thinking about it. So they have it automatically set that if it's in your cart for more than a certain period of time, the price goes up to something ludicrous.

No, because I've had things from my cart leave -- they are purchased by someone else. Only on some used book sites, it can be reserved in your cart for 12 hours or something, then someone else can buy it. On Amazon, I've had tons of things purchased by others.

And if the price goes way up, there's no way I'm buying it. I've also had prices go down, by the way. Or up and down by small amounts.

I've had that happen with Amazon, too. I just chock it up to suffering for my own indecision. As for used books in general, I am a great big cheapskate. It pains me to pay more than $5 for any chapter book (preferably $2 or less) and $25 or $30 for a program, workbook, guide, or spine (preferably under $20). Not that I won't buy something for more if I absolutely have to, but it makes me cringe. On the flip side, I intend to keep things for years and years and probably wear them out completely. All this suits me more for Amazon and local used book sales and shops. DH has the opposite view (buy new, wear it out), so I let him temper my rabid miserliness...a little. :D

I just wanted to say that as a seller, I usually price my used curriculum 50% off. BUT then I have to add the high price of shipping Media Mail to it. So then it looks like I have jacked the prices up. Maybe it would be better to list stuff just with prices then add the shipping later on, instead of doing PPD. I don't know....Anyway, shipping prices have gotten ridiculous. And add Paypal fees to that.... UGH! :(

No, because I've had things from my cart leave -- they are purchased by someone else. Only on some used book sites, it can be reserved in your cart for 12 hours or something, then someone else can buy it. On Amazon, I've had tons of things purchased by others.

And if the price goes way up, there's no way I'm buying it. I've also had prices go down, by the way. Or up and down by small amounts.

I've also had things leave my cart or go up or down by small amounts, but had the same experience this morning. I had put a set of directed reading worksheets for the science I want in the cart a few days ago, pending going to the last local used curriculum sale last night. I checked the prices last night and that particular item was less than $2. In order to avoid using the credit card as much as possible, we buy Amazon gift cards to use and I was planning to pick one up today to cover my order. This morning, yep, those worksheets are now $500 from that seller (Bay Side Books--also fulfillment by Amazon)! I switched to a different seller and they are $4.99 new with free shipping---lots available (6) for a penny plus shipping. With three pages of this item available, it makes no sense. This is the first time that sort of jump has happened to me.

I've been turned off by this, too. Here's one huge factor for me, too - why would I pay for this book that I have never seen by someone I've never met who assures me it's "like new"? I just don't trust that. Even on Amazon, where I have far more resources if the transaction goes bad, I sometimes am not thrilled with the condition a used book arrives in.

So, that price reduction is not just about the condition of a book - it's about the risk you are taking buying it directly from someone. Clearly, people are fine with this, but I've already had to swallow a bad transaction (thankfully, it was only ten bucks), and I'm not eager to repeat that.

So, I'm with you - I think people are crazy to price it like that. I would be willing to pay close to new, though, if I was buying it IN PERSON and had a chance to hold it.

:iagree: There are some people I would pay 70%, but random strangers? No. I'm picky about condition and some of the ones I've received in "like new" condition leave me wondering. I've heard horror stories as well.

I don't sell online anymore because of shipping prices. Most of my stuff is individual items and wouldn't be worth listing.

There was a video I was interested in on Amazon, and the only used copy was $999. It was $26 new, so I emailed the seller and asked if it was a mistake. If it was really supposed to be 9.99, I would buy it. She replied that it was something that they no longer had in stock, and for some reason, Amazon's software kicked it up to the seller's default max price. I'm guessing that all the ridiculously priced items are really something similar.

I try to price my stuff at 50% off but I have had people low ball me off of that. I have found this past year that people want like new for a couple of $$ more than free. It is very frustrating. I am selling my stuff so I can get the $$ to buy next years stuff.

:iagree: and I try to price my stuff low too. But I also I think expecting sellers to price like new items for 50% is a bit much.

There was a long and helpful article on this somewhere on the interwebs. It's a conjunction of issues. Some sellers who often have the same item will, instead if delisting it when it sells, list it at a 'placeholder' price so high that nobody will try to purchase it. Then when they have the item again, they list it at a real price.

Meanwhle, some pricing bots will automatically list an item that a seller has available at a nominal amount lower than the lowest price listed. If there's only a placeholder price, then the item will be listed at an absurdly high price minus a few dollars. It may stay at this price even if the placeholder price goes away.

Meanwhile meanwhile, some pricing bots will list an item that a seller doesn't have at a certain amount higher than the highest price listed, with the intent, if there's a buyer, of buying the item at the lower price and then sending it to the buyer. (In the comments to the article, a used book dealer claimed he not infrequently got orders from other booksellers which asked for the book to be sent to a third party with the buyer's invoice included, to make it seem as if it had come from the purchaser's book shop.) There have been reported cases of these bots getting into automated bidding wars on an item.

Edited by Sharon in Austin

I have posted items for less than retail but what I paid for if the item was never used. I buy things and they end up on a shelf because I decide it is not for me. I don't want to go throught the hassle of returning thinking we may use it then come time to buy curriculum and I am in a budget I will sell the item. It is no more than what I paid most of the time I will have to eat what I paid for shipping and item is crisp and new. I think that is fair.

There was a long and helpful article on this somewhere on the interwebs. It's a conjunction of issues. Some sellers who often have the same item will, instead if delisting it when it sells, list it at a 'placeholder' price so high that nobody will try to purchase it. Then when they have the item again, they list it at a real price.

Meanwhle, some pricing bots will automatically list an item that a seller has available at a nominal amount lower than the lowest price listed. If there's only a placeholder price, then the item will be listed at an absurdly high price minus a few dollars. It may stay at this price even if the placeholder price goes away.

Meanwhile meanwhile, some pricing bots will list an item that a seller doesn't have at a certain amount higher than the highest price listed, with the intent, if there's a buyer, of buying the item at the lower price and then sending it to the buyer. (In the comments to the article, a used book dealer claimed he not infrequently got orders from other booksellers which asked for the book to be sent to a third party with the buyer's invoice included, to make it seem as if it had come from the purchaser's book shop.) There have been reported cases of these bots getting into automated bidding wars on an item.

WOW!!! Thanks for the education! That's crazy.

I have never, ever had a problem buying used from Amazon. I've never had something tagged 'like new' and gotten the short end of the stick.

I had problems a couple of times with "fulfillment by Amazon" materials---was sent the wrong book or a different edition than advertised on two different occasions--but had no issue with getting a refund quickly. Unfortunately that meant I still didn't have the books I needed.:glare:

I had problems a couple of times with "fulfillment by Amazon" materials---was sent the wrong book or a different edition than advertised on two different occasions--but had no issue with getting a refund quickly. Unfortunately that meant I still didn't have the books I needed.:glare:

This recently happened twice to me also. I was sent a different version of the book on a "fulfilled by Amazon" order. It peeved me because I did want the specific book advertised but I just kept them anyway. I don't really understand those "fulfilled by Amazon" things anyway. So I don't know if the blame should be put on Amazon or the seller when I was sent a different version than advertised.

Amazon takes responsibility (active, first contact vs as a last resort with a-z guarantee) on fulfilled by amazon stuff. I got a "like new" copy of Alice in Wonderland that came stamped "not for sale" with a cracked spine and I complained and was refunded, did not need to return.

I didn't make it all the way through the thread, but I wanted to mentioned that, if you have a Mardel store, they have 20% off sales a couple times a year -- I'm thinking there's one in July. So, I definitely consider this when I'm looking at used prices, assuming Mardel carries the item, that is!

Amazon takes responsibility (active, first contact vs as a last resort with a-z guarantee) on fulfilled by amazon stuff. I got a "like new" copy of Alice in Wonderland that came stamped "not for sale" with a cracked spine and I complained and was refunded, did not need to return.

Thank you for that info.