Menu

Sewing people: See what dh got me!

He knew I wanted an old vintage Singer. I had been watching craigslist for months waiting for the right one. Well it turned out a woman in his building is being relocated. Her family had this wonderful tradition of buying newborn girls an awesome sewing machine that would stay with them throughout their life. Her mother was the last child this was done for. So it has only been owned by her and her mother. Beautifully kept and running perfectly!!!

This is one just like it, but I got more accesories. :D

.....and it was in it's original table!

Happy Mother's Day!:party:

Edited by Juniper

AWESOME!!! YAY!! What will your first project be?

Well, first I am just going to play with stitches and feet. I do have a really simple shirt that has been waiting for me since my cheapo bit the dust.

After that I am going to be trying my hand some bright, fun, gypsy type wrap skirts. :D

I have been waiting for awhile for a new machine so I probably have way to much planned!

YES!!!!

Another one to the dark side. So much fun awaits you!

Hee hee! I am so giddy right now. It has the original oil can with it! I am in cheesy domestic love. I am even in love with the hideous formica sewing table!

Hee hee! I am so giddy right now. It has the original oil can with it! I am in cheesy domestic love. I am even in love with the hideous formica sewing table!

Lol, I know that feeling. It's so good. I got an ice cream maker today and felt the same way. Sign up for joanns flyer and start stocking up on 99 cent patterns.:D

Nice Mother's Day present! (Though I did giggle at the thought that an electric sewing machine was being called vintage!)

Oh my goodness...do I feel old! :D

I was expecting the old black metal ones with gold trim and a foot pump like Gramma had. These were the "new" ones from childhood. Yikes :tongue_smilie:

I really enjoyed reading the story...until my reality call.

Bill

Cool! I really like classic sewing machines.

we have one of these from somewhere between 1930 and 1960 which is a bit temperamental in the tension department.

fabienne.jpg

and one of these from the early seventies which is my main machine and lovely.

5366891290_ba79bd7e08.jpg

I was expecting the old black metal ones with gold trim and a foot pump like Gramma had. These were the "new" ones from childhood. Yikes :tongue_smilie:

Bill

:lol: :lol: I was thinking it was going to a Featherweight one. lol

To OP aren't those old Singers the best? I picked one up a few years back at the Salvation Army thrift store for 30 bucks and it runs like a dream! Solid as a tank! It's like the one my mom had when she got married to my father. :) This is mine.

Jen099.jpg

Okay, I guess classic is a better term ;) at least I didn't say antique. :D

I really enjoyed reading the story...until my reality call.

Bill

Congrats!! I love my vintage machines - the one I use most was my grandma's and dh helped me fix the wiring and get all the old grease cleaned out and put back together so it works really well :) I've got another Singer and an old White so my kids can learn to sew if they want (the White is actually being used in the guest room as a bedside table - the cabinet is very nice - lol).

Cool! I really like classic sewing machines.

we have one of these from somewhere between 1930 and 1960 which is a bit temperamental in the tension department.

You have a featherweight! :001_wub:

My mom has promised me hers when she no longer sews; realistically that will mean when she passes away... :crying: She's 82 now and still uses it frequently.

I have my Kenmore from the early 80s which is still going strong, and she gave my dd her mid-40s Singer with a knee-bar instead of a peddle! it was her high school graduation gift from her dad, who had been a tailor in his early adult years.

That featherweight has been hand-carried on airplanes to South America and back, into the far reaches of the Amazon, and up and down the main highway through Central America several times. That tiny size was just right for our family's needs.

I learned to sew on the black kind. I STUPIDLY turned it in to get my new one. It's a Janome and going strong at 16 years old (it's just a baby!).

I also have my gramma's in the desk and that thing is HEAVY. But I open her drawer of sewing notions and see all of the needle sleeve, buttons, wooden spools and *ahhh* I love it.

That's a nice machine. I think saying it's vintage or antique is perfectly accurate. Antique means > 50 years old. They're from the late 1950s. These are the machines my grandma and her generation used. I don't think it's insulting.

That's a nice machine. I think saying it's vintage or antique is perfectly accurate. Antique means > 50 years old. They're from the late 1950s. These are the machines my grandma and her generation used. I don't think it's insulting.

I think the common definition of "antique" is objects that are greater than 100 year old.

I don't think anyone feels insulted, some of us just may be feeling old :D

Bill

:iagree: (Bill, I actually used to use a foot pedal machine when I was a teen. Though it was an old one!)

I do remember the machine Juniper scored. I had a good friend in childhood whose older sisters and mother sewed their own clothes, and they had one of these machines and I remember how proud of it they were.

Going to his house in mid-1960s Los Angeles was like taking an "exotic" trip to the American Midwest :D

Bill

I think the common definition of "antique" is objects that are greater than 100 year old.

Ah, I thought it was 50.

I was outraged about 15 years ago to see an Alf lunchbox in an antique store near my Grandma's home. It was way too much to see stuff from my childhood in an antique store.

If the stitch selector doesn't move, it's a common problem after being in storage, but is often easy (ish) to fix. I finally got mine to move with (among other things) a blow dryer to melt the goo inside.

:lol: :lol: I was thinking it was going to a Featherweight one. lol

To OP aren't those old Singers the best? I picked one up a few years back at the Salvation Army thrift store for 30 bucks and it runs like a dream! Solid as a tank! It's like the one my mom had when she got married to my father. :) This is mine.

Jen099.jpg

Thats similar to mine. I need to take mine to the Sewing Machine shop though. I cant get the thread tension right. :(

Thats similar to mine. I need to take mine to the Sewing Machine shop though. I cant get the thread tension right. :(

That's cool that you have the same one. :) I had some problems with the tension too when I first got it, but my husband helped me sort it out and now it's perfect! IIRC there was a screw that he adjusted that got it just right. :)