Menu

Thomas Kinkade-cause of death

Kinkade's outrageous drunken behavior in public was well-reported upon prior to his death. His fraudulent business practices with gallery-owner franchisees were also well reported before his dearth, as was his practice of selling prints with value-added "touch ups" applied by people other than himself as works of value. His products themselves were pure kitsch that rank with black-velvet painting of Elvis and poker-playing dogs.

H. L. Menkin was spot-on when he said, "no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Bill

Goodness gracious! Perhaps he suffered and maybe he did wrong, but there's room in American culture for a range of types of art, from fine art to homemade to yes, kitsch. Why not, if people like it?

ETA: I personally enjoy a lot of his pictures!

Edited by Little Nyssa

Well I'm no fan of his work or business practices (in fact that's putting it very mildly,) still I am sorry he suffered, but PEEING ON WINNIE THE POOH? Now that's just taking poor taste too far! :glare:

astrid

I was never a fan of his work. Too fake and manufactured looking to me. So he was never really on my radar. But I'm sorry...you DO NOT urinate on Pooh Bear! That pretty much tells me all I need to know about him.

I'm not a fan of his work, his business practices, or some of his other personal choices, but his work has made a lot of people very happy, and I think that's worth a lot.

Also, the fact that he was able to market his artwork so brilliantly has probably served as encouragement and inspiration to many aspiring artists, and has also helped the public at large to be more aware of art and artists in general. I have heard several people say that a Thomas Kinkade print was the first piece of art that they ever purchased, and if that single purchase led them to have an interest in other artists' work, I think that's a very good thing.

I may not be a fan of his work, but Thomas Kinkade was able to capture a certain feeling of warmth and comfort in his paintings that appealed to millions of people, and their taste in art is every bit as valid as mine is, so I would never criticize anyone for purchasing any kind of artwork.

Edited by Catwoman

Kinkade's outrageous drunken behavior in public was well-reported upon prior to his death. His fraudulent business practices with gallery-owner franchisees were also well reported before his dearth, as was his practice of selling prints with value-added "touch ups" applied by people other than himself as works of value. His products themselves were pure kitsch that rank with black-velvet painting of Elvis and poker-playing dogs.

H. L. Menkin was spot-on when he said, "no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Bill

Well he's dead now, so....

I'm amazed at how often valium is connected to accidental overdoses. That's a sketchy drug to prescribe. I'm glad I'm not a doctor. It's not an easy task to know who you can prescribe some of these drugs without them killing themselves.

I was never a fan of his work. Too fake and manufactured looking to me. So he was never really on my radar. But I'm sorry...you DO NOT urinate on Pooh Bear! That pretty much tells me all I need to know about him.

Yuppers. There ain't no goin' back from peein' on the Pooh Bear.

astrid

P.S. I suppose it could have been worse....he could have done as the name suggests...... no. No one could do that to the Silly Old Bear.

I'm not a fan of his work, his business practices, or some of his other personal choices, but his work has made a lot of people very happy, and I think that's worth a lot.

Also, the fact that he was able to market his artwork so brilliantly has probably served as encouragement and inspiration to many aspiring artists, and has also helped the public at large to be more aware of art and artists in general. I have heard several people say that a Thomas Kinkade print was the first piece of art that they ever purchased, and if that single purchase led them to have an interest in other artists' work, I think that's a very good thing.

I may not be a fan of his work, but Thomas Kinkade was able to capture a certain feeling of warmth and comfort in his paintings that appealed to millions of people, and their taste in art is every bit as valid as mine is, so I would never criticize anyone for purchasing any kind of artwork.

:iagree: with all of this.

But peein' on the Pooh? :svengo: (sorry---)

astrid

:iagree: with all of this.

But peein' on the Pooh? :svengo: (sorry---)

astrid

Well, I think it goes without saying that it's beyond wrong to desecrate Pooh Bear.

Everything I have read (for many years) has suggested that Thomas Kinkade was not at all a nice man, and that his Christian rhetoric was all for show, just to sell more of his work, so that has definitely colored my opinion of him (and I probably wouldn't have purchased his work, even if I'd liked it,) but if sitting in front of the fireplace and looking at a Kinkade painting makes people happy, he still did a good thing -- even if his motives were suspect.

My grandmother loved his paintings, and just that remembrance of her is a comfort to me. Isn't that why art transcends so many things, including taste?

That is very sad. I did like his paintings.

As far as Winnie the Pooh...that is horrible, but it was the Disney version of Pooh...(And sometimes I'm of the same opinion as Kincaid as far as that is concerned. :glare: )

Well that's true....but still...... :tongue_smilie:

astrid

Well he's dead now, so....

I'm amazed at how often valium is connected to accidental overdoses. That's a sketchy drug to prescribe. I'm glad I'm not a doctor. It's not an easy task to know who you can prescribe some of these drugs without them killing themselves.

Me too; it was the first thing I thought of when I read the article about his death. Seems when it's mixed with alcohol bad things happen.

astrid

Bill

I resent that--I love poker-playing dogs. :glare:

dogs_playing.jpg

So sad. Broken people do strange things.

I actually liked his work before his "Light" phase where he cutsied everything up.

:iagree:

Also, we have no idea what kind of paintings he was doing "just for fun." He may have been doing some incredibly cool things that had nothing to do with the whole "painter of light" thing.

I know a lot of people knock him down for his gimmicks, but who among us wouldn't have wanted to capitalize on something that was working for us and making us very successful and famous -- particularly as an artist, which is a tough way to even eke out a living, let alone become famous worldwide? (Hopefully, our business practices would be more honorable, but I'm just speaking in general terms.)

Bill

This was portrayed in a Law and Order episode, that was obviously a spoof on him.

PEEING ON WINNIE THE POOH?
:eek:

I had to click through to make sure it wasn't a euphemism. On the bright side, at least it was Disney's Pooh and not Shepard's. :tongue_smilie: