Menu

This story was on my local news...

This is an it depends. The school cannot give their side. The boy had already been in small trouble for singing the same song to the same girl and asked to stop. How he was singing it and shaking himself at her would matter a lot. I could see a short suspension depending on his attitude towards it all.

Wait. Wait...

They've suspended a 6 year old for singing obnoxious lyrics from an M&Ms commercial/ Top 40 playlist, while they are trying to repeal the "zero tolerance" policy on weapons and violence?

[in my best Nigel Thornbery voice] Aren't they just clever. :glare:

Um, we don't watch tv, so please pardon my ignorance.

There's a comercial for M&M's candy that uses a song that has a line that goes 'I'm s3xy and I know it'?!

To sell CANDY?

Ok, and *obviously* this commercial is played at times when children watch tv, right? Since the 6 year old has seen it enough to learn the line and repeat it?

What has our world come to. This is just. I don't know. This is why we don't watch tv. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, my NINE YEAR OLD doesn't know the word sexy. No, he *really* doesn't. And when he does, he'll also know what it means and when to/not to use the word.

Comparing this case to the case in the blog (mentioned in another thread) about the woman whose dd was abused in her class room by a boy, it is hard to understand why there is such a variance in reactions from schools.

I would think that there is more to this story than is being said, maybe.

I'm not going to lie, my first response was to judge the woman for allowing her son to know that song. My superior self was patting myself on the back that my kids and I don't watch much TV, and then I was grateful we have the resources for Netflix and DVDs for when we want to. THEN I remembered that, because my husband and I are both huge football fans, I've found myself cringing at some commercials my kids have been exposed to while their parents watch on Sunday afternoons. And, again, I have been blessed with the resources to be this picky and I know others don't have the same luxury.

Then I decided to stop thinking about myself and answer the original posted question. ;)

While I agree "sexual harassment" is a scary concept to be applied to a child so young, it is clear that this boy probably needs to learn some boundaries. I do applaud the little girl for standing up for herself. I'm not an uber-feminist by any means, but I do hope my daughter will have the bravery to stand up to say if something makes her uncomfortable. Too many times we women let stuff like that slide.

From my son's perspective- I'd rather him learn this lesson at 6, when the biggest result is a suspension he'll forget (although this mom's choice of cementing this in her son's memory by going on TV is bizarre to me) rather than later. The repurcussions for boys/men in this country found on the wrong side of sexual crimes are pretty intense. We have a friend whose 15 year old son was accused of molestation and was, very cleanly and appropriately, cleared. But the fear of being labeled a sexual predator for the rest of his life was very frightening. Little boys need to learn boundaries and what can happen if a woman decides he's not honoring them. Again, I'd be glad to have my son learn it in this way, at six, than other ways.

My sister is a first grade teacher in an inner-city public school. The stories she tells.... there is actually very real sexual harassment happening younger and younger. Yes, six year olds may not fully understand sexual harassment, but is it better to just call it "gender bullying?" Either way, it makes me glad to home-school.

Oh, and I'm sure there's WAY more to this story.

Um, we don't watch tv, so please pardon my ignorance.

There's a comercial for M&M's candy that uses a song that has a line that goes 'I'm s3xy and I know it'?!

To sell CANDY?

Ok, and *obviously* this commercial is played at times when children watch tv, right? Since the 6 year old has seen it enough to learn the line and repeat it?

What has our world come to. This is just. I don't know. This is why we don't watch tv. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, my NINE YEAR OLD doesn't know the word sexy. No, he *really* doesn't. And when he does, he'll also know what it means and when to/not to use the word.

Yes, they have sexualised m&m's, but in a jesting manner (depends upon your sense of humour, but that was the intent...a little overreaching to me, but that's me).

It's an interesting dynamic that makes me wish I had the time, money, and/or dedication to get degrees in psychology and anthropology.

We (general society) have "decided" that it is cute and acceptable to allow young children to unknowingly (to them) act and talk (and sing) sexually. I do think that the side effect has been that younger and younger children are starting to understand more and *knowingly* act, talk, and sing sexually.

But what I find so interesting is that we (again, general) then turn around and act outraged when someone else's child acts in such a manner toward our own children. It's all fun and games until you (general) don't like it!

It's not supposed to work that way.

FWIW, ds has a 5yo brother (ex's son) who sings this song all the time. I suppose I fall somewhere in a grey area, because I'm constantly singing to my toddler "You're squishy and you know it..."

I have seen children that age that do things that could be labeled as sexual harrassment. We don't know this child, or his life style. We do not know what he is exposed too. This may be something long in coming from past behaviors. I was pretty shocked when at 7 the neighbor boy told my daughter to "drop and suck it @itch". When I went to his mother I was more shocked to know that yes he knew what it meant cause his daddy had explained the facts of life to him. :confused::confused:

I am not judging the school on a parent who needs their 15 minutes of fame by using their kid. I also as the mother of a little girl would be very unhappy to have a boy "shaking it" at my daughter.

Comparing this case to the case in the blog (mentioned in another thread) about the woman whose dd was abused in her class room by a boy, it is hard to understand why there is such a variance in reactions from schools.

I would think that there is more to this story than is being said, maybe.

:iagree: Full on assault gets the same/less reaction here. I don't think I'll ever understand the logic.

I have seen children that age that do things that could be labeled as sexual harrassment. We don't know this child, or his life style. We do not know what he is exposed too. This may be something long in coming from past behaviors. I was pretty shocked when at 7 the neighbor boy told my daughter to "drop and suck it @itch". When I went to his mother I was more shocked to know that yes he knew what it meant cause his daddy had explained the facts of life to him. :confused::confused:

I am not judging the school on a parent who needs their 15 minutes of fame by using their kid. I also as the mother of a little girl would be very unhappy to have a boy "shaking it" at my daughter.

:blink: I don't even know how I would react if I saw a 7 year old do that.

We should form a club.

We should! Any attempt at trying to talk sense to my DH about this particular subject gets me the automatic "I work hard all day and want to relax" speech.:glare:

:blink: I don't even know how I would react if I saw a 7 year old do that.

I was horrified. I knew at some point in my daughters life it would be likely to have one speak like that around her but she was just 6. I pulled them out of school after another incident on the bus and moved. That was years ago now. I have another 7 year old daughter today and I cannot evne begin to think how her "big" brothers would react to that.

They were the other daughters little brothers but they are older now and I could see that ending nasty!

Suspension for a non-violent offense is not a first-time penalty. This lad has probably rec'd a verbal warning, been sent to the principal's office, and the parents have been called in for a chat w/principal...nothing has convinced the lad to behave respectfully or let go his fixation on his target so he's on to the next step - suspension. The school is wise to follow their discipline policy - might save them litigation expenses if this kid can learn civilized behavior before middle school, when the target's parents will take it to court. I would not be surprised if it turns out that the agressor's parents have refused counseling for him, or that he is undiagonosed special needs.

The news report mentioned that the kid has special needs.

Wendi

When I was a kid we jokingly sang Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and the 1990s had Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy". I hardly think kids knowing the song in question signals the downfall of society.

As for the situation, it's probably an overreaction. The girl needs her space respected, she shouldn't have to deal with this kid in her face, but I have trouble believing that the school had exhausted all avenues to a solution first (even if they claim they had).