Menu

What do you do with a child who is very good at math but doesnt love it?

Halcyon

My younger is really good with math-very quick, intuitive, has yet to struggle with a concept. He's doing MM3 now, and to be honest, he probably should have begun it a few months ago, but i decided to do some review, games, and LOF with him for a few months. He likes math games, and would probably love Beast Academy (he's done the sample book that BA sent out late last year and enjoyed it). I am reluctant to switch curriculum as MM is a good fit for our family, and he doesnt complain about it. Do you think addiNg in BA would add some more "fun" for him? I was considering buying it when he is finished withte LOF Elementary book he is working through. He gets bored easily, but i am not sure how much i want to indulge this, if you KWIM. He needs to learn to stick with a curriculum even when its not new and shiny anymore, and i think lately hes been better about that.

Besides games and manipulatives (we have the RS games, Speed!, the RS math balance) should we just keep chugging? It just seems a shame that a child who clearly has a talent doesnt seem to enjoy the subject particularly :( might that come later? Anything you can think of to help him love math?

Edited by Halcyon

I do both with DD. MM is every day. BA is more supplemental (only in that I don't require it every day), but it's the one she *asks* to do.

And...he may never love math. Just because I *can* cook, and cook well if I put my mind to it doesn't mean I love it. Actually, I rather dread doing it and avoid it as much as possible. My mom is the same way - an awesome cook who hates cooking. Talent doesn't always = enjoyment.

Maybe things are just too easy for him? Can you skip to harder stuff within the curriculum you're already using, so he isn't so bored?

A free alternative / supplement might be Khan Academy. It's self-paced, so once he's mastered a concept he can move on quickly.

That's a big part of why we switched to Beast Academy. I wanted her enjoyment of math to be up where her ability is.

Sadly, they are just not going to release it as fast as she is doing it. When we run out, we'll go back to MEP until the next volume is released.

Maybe things are just too easy for him? Can you skip to harder stuff within the curriculum you're already using, so he isn't so bored?

A free alternative / supplement might be Khan Academy. It's self-paced, so once he's mastered a concept he can move on quickly.

I have thought of that. In fact, i emailed Maria Miller at MM and she was the one who suggested jumping him ahead. It's ME that's the obstacle. I have such a concern with "missing stuff" and having holes that i think i overcompensate. I am going to try testing him out of sections of MM3. I believe she has tests at the end of every few chapters in the supplemental folder.

That's a big part of why we switched to Beast Academy. I wanted her enjoyment of math to be up where her ability is.

Sadly, they are just not going to release it as fast as she is doing it. When we run out, we'll go back to MEP until the next volume is released.

Thanks Rivka. Maybe if we do BA as a spplement it will last is a bit longer. What is their timeline for the next release? (i am not on facebook so dont get updates)

Good question. I was that kid in school. I did well in math, but didn't enjoy it at all. So far my kids have been similar and I'm attempting to build up their enjoyment of math. So far these things have helped:

• Using an approach that I enjoy teaching so I can pass on enthusiasm better.
  • Speak positive words about math and show my appreciation for new concepts learned.
  • Introduce my child to more difficult topics through living books and DVDs.
  • Give them problems that are beyond their abilities and show them how to complete the problem. It helps them appreciate where they are going and motivates them to get there.
  • Use some more fun math approaches along with the ones that are more tedious.

Thanks Rivka. Maybe if we do BA as a spplement it will last is a bit longer. What is their timeline for the next release? (i am not on facebook so dont get updates)

They're currently expecting to release 3c in August and 3d in December. The problem is that it's only going to take us about 6 weeks to get through 3a (she has seven pages of the practice book left). It remains to be seen whether future levels will go quite as quickly, as the difficulty increases and the initial BA excitement wanes a bit.

If all the levels were out, this would be a beautiful way of compacting the elementary curriculum and providing built-in acceleration. Since they aren't, it's a problem.

Rightstart is the only curriculum that my son asked to do. He loves Beast, he reads it on his own, but I must require him to do the problems or he won't. I think he sounds like your son. He argues about doing any extra. However, he plowed ahead through MM because he gets a present when he finishes a book and he had a present in mind, so that is how he is ahead of schedule. I should have stuck with RS, but I felt like (and still feel like) I needed just one of my kids to be more independent in math as my others are absolutely not.

I vote for both accelerating through whatever MM chapters (there's a test for each chapter) and also adding BA.

My ds9 (who is supposed to be finishing MM5 at school but has been dragging his feet) recently complained to me that it's boring for him, probably because he knows the math even though he hasn't worked through the problems I assigned, which are nowhere near the whole thing. I have been on the fence about starting aops next year with him and that pretty much sealed the deal, though an alternative would be having him continue in MM (which I still think is great) and adding fun stuff somehow, though administering that when he's in a school classroom could be annoying unless I laid it all out for the teacher well in advance (long story...)

I have a similar kid here, but BA ignited an excitement for math. I have a difficult time skipping any math chapter, let alone a few problems. I use different math books as review, so I suppose there would be an element of boredom all created by me. I recently bought a lot of living math books, and I do see DD frequently reading those books. BA, though was a level downwards for us, doesn't feel like that because there are fun and challenging parts. She now frequently talks about geometry.

DD is very good at math but doesn't think she is and doesn't really like it if we do anything the same in a row. Her conceptual knowdge is way ahead of her fact memorization, which frustrates her.

I toggle between MM, Right Start, BA, Hands on Equations, Math in Focus, Kitchen Table Math, Challenging Math, Times Tales, living math books, etc... Yes, I own a lot, and she could be way further ahead if we just did one thing but I enjoy mixing it up and so does she.

He likes math games, and would probably love Beast Academy (he's done the sample book that BA sent out late last year and enjoyed it). I am reluctant to switch curriculum as MM is a good fit for our family, and he doesnt complain about it. Do you think addiNg in BA would add some more "fun" for him?

Is this a serious question??? :lol:

Good grief woman! :D

Bill

I have a similar kid here, but BA ignited an excitement for math. I have a difficult time skipping any math chapter, let alone a few problems. I use different math books as review, so I suppose there would be an element of boredom all created by me. I recently bought a lot of living math books, and I do see DD frequently reading those books. BA, though was a level downwards for us, doesn't feel like that because there are fun and challenging parts. She now frequently talks about geometry.

My younger really likes geometry but doesn't like rote addition/subtraction/multiplication, so sounds like BA might be a good fit.

Is this a serious question??? :lol:

Good grief woman! :D

Bill

:lol:

It's just that he ALWAYS likes the "new and shiny" thing curriculum-wise (hmmmm, sounds familiar) and I absolutely don't want gaps from jumping about.....I'm going to buy BA, though. It's decided.

:lol:

It's just that he ALWAYS likes the "new and shiny" thing curriculum-wise (hmmmm, sounds familiar) and I absolutely don't want gaps from jumping about.....I'm going to buy BA, though. It's decided.

Well good! :D

In all seriousness the appearance of BA has really amped up the enthusiasm with my son. He just finished 3A and is now asking: "can I do some Singapore too?"

Before that I'm afraid he'd reached that time in the year where the same-old-same-old effect was starting to set in. For re-igniting enthusiasm alone BA was worth it.

Bill

Well good! :D

In all seriousness the appearance of BA has really amped up the enthusiasm with my son. He just finished 3A and is now asking: "can I do some Singapore too?"

Before that I'm afraid he'd reached that time in the year where the same-old-same-old effect was starting to set in. For re-igniting enthusiasm alone BA was worth it.

Bill

That's good to hear. ANd to be honest, I think I've seen this effect with him from LOF alone--he does a few days of LOF, and MM seems somehow less terrible. Same goes for CWP, which he likes.

That's good to hear. ANd to be honest, I think I've seen this effect with him from LOF alone--he does a few days of LOF, and MM seems somehow less terrible. Same goes for CWP, which he likes.

It is a pretty natural reaction, don't you think? Especially when one goes year-round (as I know we both do). Keeping things "fresh" is one of the prime factors I have in using multiple resources.

BA is a lot of fun. I'm confident you will enjoy it.

Bill

It is a pretty natural reaction, don't you think? Especially when one goes year-round (as I know we both do). Keeping things "fresh" is one of the prime factors I have in using multiple resources.

BA is a lot of fun. I'm confident you will enjoy it.

Bill

Well, I'll be ordering it as soon as my LOF Elementary sells (any takers?) :tongue_smilie:

I don't think you need to worry about holes at age 6 and from adding things in for variety. If you know the basic areas that need to be covered, and/or do some checking with a standardized test or practice test every so often (yearly?), or stop and go over a check of arithmetic prior to starting algebra, you would pick up "holes" and can fill them in when and as you want to do so. Doing different things for variety is, IMO, different than "curriculum hopping".

I ended up with Beast even though I had told myself I would not jump on the bandwagon. The puzzles, games and comics are fun...I'm using it with him no more than 2 times per week, but even then it won't last long.

I also agree than not everyone loves what they are good at, but it is also possible to find mathematics more fun when it gets more interesting, or more related to something else that seems fun and interesting.

So, I would also suggest looking at what he does find fun and using that to help figure out what to do more of with regard to math. You know, like math as it relates to sports, or to a particular type of science, that sort of thing, could help, perhaps.

I don't think you need to worry about holes at age 6 and from adding things in for variety. If you know the basic areas that need to be covered, and/or do some checking with a standardized test or practice test every so often (yearly?), or stop and go over a check of arithmetic prior to starting algebra, you would pick up "holes" and can fill them in when and as you want to do so. Doing different things for variety is, IMO, different than "curriculum hopping".

I ended up with Beast even though I had told myself I would not jump on the bandwagon. The puzzles, games and comics are fun...I'm using it with him no more than 2 times per week, but even then it won't last long.

I also agree than not everyone loves what they are good at, but it is also possible to find mathematics more fun when it gets more interesting, or more related to something else that seems fun and interesting.

So, I would also suggest looking at what he does find fun and using that to help figure out what to do more of with regard to math. You know, like math as it relates to sports, or to a particular type of science, that sort of thing, could help, perhaps.

Interesting idea! Sports are not his thing-he prefers sewing and knitting :tongue_smilie: But I bet I can figure out how to incorporate math into both sewing and knitting--definitely knitting!

My younger really likes geometry but doesn't like rote addition/subtraction/multiplication, so sounds like BA might be a good fit.

My 2 cents, which may apply more to my DS9 than to your DS6, so take what you like and leave what you don't. :D You might need to change your thinking if you are somehow considering it a moral deficit for him to need to like something to be fresh and new in order to enjoy it because here is the deal with my boy of the same stripe. The fascination with the new is a sort of false reflection of his hope that this new thing will finally make math interesting and engaging enough to match his actual talent. To be sure, he doesn't consciously think of it like that and can't vocalize it to me. :lol: It is just something I have finally figured out. He is not bored because of the same ol', same ol' and he doesn't need a shiny new curriculum to grab his attention. Rather, he is bored by anything that spoon feeds him what he can (all to easily) work out on his own. He also understandably resents being led through and "taught" what he already knows intuitively. MM definitely fell into that category for him. Its strength is that it leads a child in very small increments through the hows and whys of math. It leaves no mystery. It is perfect for many children because of that. But it is an inherently flawed way of teaching math to a child who wants to, even needs to, puzzle out problems for himself in order to own the knowledge. DS9 hates rote because it does not involve thinking. I see more strength in that than I see weakness. My DS9 would have said he disliked math before BA. It was not the cartoon format that won him over. It was the fact that it didn't just allow him to think for himself, it assumed, expected, demanded it.

I am not letting him get his own way constantly or pandering to his every whim and turning him into a spoiled brat. I am just honoring his strengths with the hope that he does come to like this thing he is so darn naturally good at. Think about how many careers would be ruled out by a dislike or mere apathy for math. I am doing what I can to help him form a positive attitude about the subject. So far the single most helpful thing I have done to that end is purchase BA.

ETA: And, for the record, I still made him memorize his math facts. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

looking at all the above, it seems your problems are pretty much solved :) -- at least, I can hope!

Button (also 6 -- he's 6.5) is awfully good at math but doesn't appear to "love" anything school-related. He's having the most fun with math bouncing around btw. programs. This is a work in progress ... right now we're doing 1 week MEP, 1 week Singapore, with LoF in the background, some Key to Fractions and drills. His father does oral problems, disguised as a fun game, while they do dishes in the evening, and this has helped a lot; also I make him jump off of couches or something every few problems, or run around the house, or whatever, just to get his adrenaline going and give his head a micro break. The video of Flatland went over well, as did Donald in Mathmagic Land, but am not really sure either are worth buying.

PS: just a thought ... really, I think elementary mathematics is the phonics of the math world. You can fancy up the literacy process, with BA or LoF or other interesting programs, to give the child a sense of the point of all of it; but for me the real interest is calculus and beyond. C.S. Lewis said it was easy enough to learn a foreign language if you needed to understand something that was only accessible via that language; there are conversations one can't have, places one can't go, and realities that are opaque without the language and tool of advanced math. So even if he never loves math per se, he may love it as a tool for physics, economics, sociology, whatever; and I wouldn't expect a real passion to necessarily ignite until he gets a sense of the compelling, real challenges that require maths to conquer. maybe :D.

looking at all the above, it seems your problems are pretty much solved :) -- at least, I can hope!

Button (also 6 -- he's 6.5) is awfully good at math but doesn't appear to "love" anything school-related. He's having the most fun with math bouncing around btw. programs. This is a work in progress ... right now we're doing 1 week MEP, 1 week Singapore, with LoF in the background, some Key to Fractions and drills. His father does oral problems, disguised as a fun game, while they do dishes in the evening, and this has helped a lot; also I make him jump off of couches or something every few problems, or run around the house, or whatever, just to get his adrenaline going and give his head a micro break. The video of Flatland went over well, as did Donald in Mathmagic Land, but am not really sure either are worth buying.

PS: just a thought ... really, I think elementary mathematics is the phonics of the math world. You can fancy up the literacy process, with BA or LoF or other interesting programs, to give the child a sense of the point of all of it; but for me the real interest is calculus and beyond. C.S. Lewis said it was easy enough to learn a foreign language if you needed to understand something that was only accessible via that language; there are conversations one can't have, places one can't go, and realities that are opaque without the language and tool of advanced math. So even if he never loves math per se, he may love it as a tool for physics, economics, sociology, whatever; and I wouldn't expect a real passion to necessarily ignite until he gets a sense of the compelling, real challenges that require maths to conquer. maybe :D.

I agree here-I didn't fall in logve with math until I was a musicology major-and suddenly realized that this was all mathematical patterns and I could sum the whole thing up with an equation or two-and that I could TAKE an equation or two and turn it into a composition. What fun!

I'm convinced that one reason why my 7 yr old has decided that she HAS to get to Algebra is because she's bored with basic arithmetic, and has convinced herself that algebra is more fun and will let her do cool stuff.

My 2 cents, which may apply more to my DS9 than to your DS6, so take what you like and leave what you don't. :D You might need to change your thinking if you are somehow considering it a moral deficit for him to need to like something to be fresh and new in order to enjoy it because here is the deal with my boy of the same stripe. The fascination with the new is a sort of false reflection of his hope that this new thing will finally make math interesting and engaging enough to match his actual talent. To be sure, he doesn't consciously think of it like that and can't vocalize it to me. :lol: It is just something I have finally figured out. He is not bored because of the same ol', same ol' and he doesn't need a shiny new curriculum to grab his attention. Rather, he is bored by anything that spoon feeds him what he can (all to easily) work out on his own. He also understandably resents being led through and "taught" what he already knows intuitively. MM definitely fell into that category for him. Its strength is that it leads a child in very small increments through the hows and whys of math. It leaves no mystery. It is perfect for many children because of that. But it is an inherently flawed way of teaching math to a child who wants to, even needs to, puzzle out problems for himself in order to own the knowledge. DS9 hates rote because it does not involve thinking. I see more strength in that than I see weakness. My DS9 would have said he disliked math before BA. It was not the cartoon format that won him over. It was the fact that it didn't just allow him to think for himself, it assumed, expected, demanded it.

I am not letting him get his own way constantly or pandering to his every whim and turning him into a spoiled brat. I am just honoring his strengths with the hope that he does come to like this thing he is so darn naturally good at. Think about how many careers would be ruled out by a dislike or mere apathy for math. I am doing what I can to help him form a positive attitude about the subject. So far the single most helpful thing I have done to that end is purchase BA.

ETA: And, for the record, I still made him memorize his math facts. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for this perspective. I too have begun to realize that I may need to come around to this point of view. My older is very straightforward, at least in terms of what he needs academically: give him the work, he does the work, masters the material, he moves on sequentially. Younger seems to enjoy zig-zagging around from topic to topic, one day might be dividing fractions, the next day might be drawing different sorts of triangles, the next day might be making kaleidoscope stars from paper. I already move around from LOF to MM to CWP (he really does enjoy CWP far more than anything else we use, which should tell me something, right?) but I want to keep MM as a spine, skipping ahead as needed. Even SM seemed to be too slow for him, so I think I just need to focus on variety, while keeping whatever spine seems to impart information well. In addition, he really likes the Marilyn Burns books, and will spend a long time trying out her puzzles and tricks.

Huh. So maybe I am coming to the realization that it's not that he dislikes math, he just dislikes rote problems. He really enjoys word problems....

food for thought, as usual, from the Hive.

Consider problem-solving as a potential compelling challenge to conquer with math :). You may have already seen these, but they're worth a read if you haven't already (e.g., The Calculus Trap, Why Discrete Math Is Important, and articles about problem-solving such as Problem Solving: A Skill for the 21st Century and this one).

I've learned that just because a student can, doesn't mean they should.

It really is okay to finish a grade of a curriculum, and then do hardly any math for the rest of the year. I no longer believe in automatically penalizing quick students with more and harder work. If they are loving it and asking for it, that is another story. And yes, able students need to be challenged SOME of the time in SOME subjects, but they don't need to challenged to their FULL abilities in ALL subjects ALL the time.

I'd reward him for finishing what he has, by letting him take a break. And personally, if I could afford it, I'd buy Arithmetic Village and just draw castles and play with jewels till Autumn.

The Arithmetic Village main website looks hacked, but you can see videos at youtube.

...(he really does enjoy CWP far more than anything else we use, which should tell me something, right?)...he really likes the Marilyn Burns books, and will spend a long time trying out her puzzles and tricks.

Then why not just go with those? And just a problem or 2 per day would probably be enough to not lose ground.

It is hard to ultimately do well in an area one does not enjoy. Maybe what he really does love, needs to be discovered. And...he is only six...to me your older one sounds more unusual in what you describe, the six year old sounds more typical.

Huh. So maybe I am coming to the realization that it's not that he dislikes math, he just dislikes rote problems. He really enjoys word problems....

food for thought, as usual, from the Hive.

I'm sure you've thought of this, and may have tried it -- MEP?? And curious about Singapore moving too slow, that's one of our major spines at the moment (as in, our second week with it); was it boring, may I ask; did you test out of any of it? Someone on the board strongly suggested the book "Developing Math Talent", which I bought and read; one of the main points was to use math curriculum tests to find which areas a child needed to be taught conceptually, which areas needed a quick review of the how-tos, and which could be skipped. Don't know if this would be helpful in moving through your spine with the least amount of suffering!

Consider problem-solving as a potential compelling challenge to conquer with math :). You may have already seen these, but they're worth a read if you haven't already (e.g., The Calculus Trap, Why Discrete Math Is Important, and articles about problem-solving such as Problem Solving: A Skill for the 21st Century and this one).

Well, Button at 6 doesn't find problem-solving per se compelling :), and neither do I myself, probably a matter of temperament. I think those articles are all from/about AoPS? and I agree with the basic premise that maths should be taught flexibly and well, and not as a matter of rote memorization or simple execution of rules. And I certainly think elementary math ed is important, and ought to be as rich, rewarding, and interesting as possible -- and that can be quite interesting indeed. I just do not find puzzle-solving inherently interesting. Solving problems in, and understanding, the actual world and its inhabitants is, however, gripping as far as I'm concerned. So calculus-related physics, dynamical systems in biology, fancy statistics generally, &c feel compelling to me. At Button's current level, math can be fun and even important but doesn't seem gripping. Once you can mess with infinite series, &c. I think the magic really opens up. Think of it this way: no church has banned addition. The zero was controversial, yes, but not b/c of what an elementary child does with it! Infinity, zero, the calculus to deal with orbital mechanics: controversial, heady, complicated stuff. Seems abstract, but actually is the language of nature. !!!

Obviously, lots of mathy folks find the abstract maths compelling and gripping; and lots loved math early in the game. But not all.

One iconoclastic, but charming (I thought), book I hope to use with Button once he's mastered his arithmetic (and has the patience for the narrative) is Mathematics for the Million -- I prefer, for some reason, the 1930s original but that is prob. hard to come by. I relate to the perspective of making math relevant on the human, social scale. But the author is opinionated & lacked a fact-checker!

Edited by serendipitous journey

I'm sure you've thought of this, and may have tried it -- MEP?? And curious about Singapore moving too slow, that's one of our major spines at the moment (as in, our second week with it); was it boring, may I ask; did you test out of any of it? Someone on the board strongly suggested the book "Developing Math Talent", which I bought and read; one of the main points was to use math curriculum tests to find which areas a child needed to be taught conceptually, which areas needed a quick review of the how-tos, and which could be skipped. Don't know if this would be helpful in moving through your spine with the least amount of suffering!

Well, Button at 6 doesn't find problem-solving per se compelling :), and neither do I myself, probably a matter of temperament. I think those articles are all from/about AoPS? and I agree with the basic premise that maths should be taught flexibly and well, and not as a matter of rote memorization or simple execution of rules. And I certainly think elementary math ed is important, and ought to be as rich, rewarding, and interesting as possible -- and that can be quite interesting indeed. I just do not find puzzle-solving inherently interesting. Solving problems in, and understanding, the actual world and its inhabitants is, however, gripping as far as I'm concerned. So calculus-related physics, dynamical systems in biology, fancy statistics generally, &c feel compelling to me. At Button's current level, math can be fun and even important but doesn't seem gripping. Once you can mess with infinite series, &c. I think the magic really opens up. Think of it this way: no church has banned addition. The zero was controversial, yes, but not b/c of what an elementary child does with it! Infinity, zero, the calculus to deal with orbital mechanics: controversial, heady, complicated stuff. Seems abstract, but actually is the language of nature. !!!

Obviously, lots of mathy folks find the abstract maths compelling and gripping; and lots loved math early in the game. But not all.

One iconoclastic, but charming (I thought), book I hope to use with Button once he's mastered his arithmetic (and has the patience for the narrative) is Mathematics for the Million -- I prefer, for some reason, the 1930s original but that is prob. hard to come by. I relate to the perspective of making math relevant on the human, social scale. But the author is opinionated & lacked a fact-checker!

I have fooled around with mep with both boys. My only issue with it is the very small font. Mm is small, but mep is....TINY! I might take another look now that he is older.

I followed the suggestion of the Hive and gave him the end of chapter test for the chapter in MM 3 that he just began, and he passed it easily.So that tells me something, doesnt it!?

I have fooled around with mep with both boys. My only issue with it is the very small font. Mm is small, but mep is....TINY! I might take another look now that he is older.

I followed the suggestion of the Hive and gave him the end of chapter test for the chapter in MM 3 that he just began, and he passed it easily.So that tells me something, doesnt it!?

:)

RE MEP: I've started working mostly from the copymasters, and sometimes rewrite stuff on huge paper. The font is a problem for sure! I also want something that moves Button through new computations/operations a bit faster than MEP does, so that's why we're doing quite a mix right now and not just the MEP ...

The MM author sent me a nice note RE the font, she suggested switching to landscape printing (though I don't know how that would mess with page breaks) I think ... if you email her about the font she is so helpful! or if you PM me I'll find her specific rec. for you; we're about to go out of town so I may not follow the threads as closely as usual.

Edited by serendipitous journey

????? Possibly that he is bored and it is just a lot of busy work for him. Possibly that he has done enough math for awhile and only needs a minimum of what would keep him from forgetting everything he now knows. What do you think it tells you?

There is a book called, I think, Positive Pushing, which has parts on how to try to help a child to be able to "own" an activity, rather than it being the parent's needs for a child to excel that become the need being fulfilled rather than the child's needs. It may be that it is more your need that he race along in math and love it, but that may not be his need and not his love, rather than a curriculum problem. He may have other areas of strength that he would love more, and even areas where he is only average, but would love them more. Maybe it would make sense to take the time from math where he is "ahead" to try to explore other areas.

????? Possibly that he is bored and it is just a lot of busy work for him. Possibly that he has done enough math for awhile and only needs a minimum of what would keep him from forgetting everything he now knows. What do you think it tells you?

There is a book called, I think, Positive Pushing, which has parts on how to try to help a child to be able to "own" an activity, rather than it being the parent's needs for a child to excel that become the need being fulfilled rather than the child's needs. It may be that it is more your need that he race along in math and love it, but that may not be his need and not his love, rather than a curriculum problem. He may have other areas of strength that he would love more, and even areas where he is only average, but would love them more. Maybe it would make sense to take the time from math where he is "ahead" to try to explore other areas.

I think it tells me that he isnt being challenged, which may account for his lackadaisical attitude towards math. I just had him take the NEXT chapter test, which covers another 40 pages of 3A, and he didn't get any wrong on that one either. So in two days he's basically demonstrated that he understands the first 75 pages or so of MM3A, which I was going to have him do over the next two months or more (and probably bore him to tears).

I don't really want my children to take a break from math. My goal is to meet my child at his level, wherever that may be, and challenge him. Clearly I have not been doing that well. The next CWP should arrive any day now, and I know he'll enjoy that.

Just wanted to say that you are amazing for thinking through this so carefully and figuring out how you can meet his needs. Lots of moms use the same curricula for all of their kids no matter what or because that is all they can manage. You are such a blessing to him for trying so hard!

I think it tells me that he isnt being challenged, which may account for his lackadaisical attitude towards math. I just had him take the NEXT chapter test, which covers another 40 pages of 3A, and he didn't get any wrong on that one either. So in two days he's basically demonstrated that he understands the first 75 pages or so of MM3A, which I was going to have him do over the next two months or more (and probably bore him to tears).

I don't really want my children to take a break from math. My goal is to meet my child at his level, wherever that may be, and challenge him. Clearly I have not been doing that well. The next CWP should arrive any day now, and I know he'll enjoy that.

Meeting my DS9's math needs has, hands-down, been my biggest challenge of homeschooling. What you are describing, showing understanding of work that has technically not yet been covered, was exactly what I experience(d) here. It was what made me realize that elementary math is really a very small handful of concepts, just with larger numbers as time goes by. If you have a kid who initially gets the concept and can extrapolate, you are finished with that operation of math the first time he is introduced to the concept. That certainly makes for a challenge. It's why we do so much real-life math, use so many supplements, do the CWP/IP and not the workbooks, etc.

I will actually suggest you use intensive practice than CWP. I used both and IP is much more deeper than CWP IMO especially goes 5 and 6. DS can finish 8 CWP questions in 15 mins and takes a lot longer doing IP giving same grade level same topic

I will actually suggest you use intensive practice than CWP. I used both and IP is much more deeper than CWP IMO especially goes 5 and 6. DS can finish 8 CWP questions in 15 mins and takes a lot longer doing IP giving same grade level same topic

Jenny, could you compare SM IP problems to, say, Aops-style problems, in terms of "problem-solving"? I know that may not be easy, because of the difference in level, but I'm trying to assemble a number of problem-solving resources for mid- to late-elementary. (sorry, I don't mean to hijack....)

ETA, I just created another thread...

Edited by wapiti

Just wanted to say that you are amazing for thinking through this so carefully and figuring out how you can meet his needs. Lots of moms use the same curricula for all of their kids no matter what or because that is all they can manage. You are such a blessing to him for trying so hard!

This is the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time. Thank you!

I just ordered the next CWP, simply because he enjoys doing them so much, but will definitely order the next IP too (he finished IP1 and we moved to MM plus CWP after that, but you're right, IP might be a great addition). I am going to order Beast Academy too, as he's a comic book nut and will surely love them.

Edited by Halcyon