Menu

Why is it so hard to find normal cheerleading- vent

DD has asked to take cheerleading. So I have been looking around for a place for her. So far unless I am willing to not let her do any other activities, family time and in general childhood life, I can't find a place so far. They want her age 5-6 to complete almost weekly, three practices a week at 1.5-2 hours. What happened to simple cheerleading fro girls who want to try to see if they like it? It is like all or nothing. I wonder how many girls burn out or families burn out from these hours.

I am not talking about the older girls just the young girls that this seems too much.

Look for a summer camp program. They usually last a week. It seems like everything is a huge commitment anymore. My son couldn't do t-ball this year because, they wanted to practice six days a week. He's five. :glare: We want him to enjoy sports, not dedicate six-sevenths of his life to them.

It seems like everything is a huge commitment anymore. My son couldn't do t-ball this year because, they wanted to practice six days a week. He's five. :glare: We want him to enjoy sports, not dedicate six-sevenths of his life to them.

yeah, what is that all about? We really struggle finding fun (especially athletic) activities for our kids because we refuse to allow them to take over our lives.

OP, would you consider starting a low-stress, non-competitive squad for your dd and some others to enjoy? Surely there are other parents who find this as ridiculous as you do.

When dd was in cheer she was with a competive team. At her level it wasn't that much commitment but if we had not moved she would have continued and by now been pretty close to that commitment.

There is cheer squads that are not competitve like that but they often do not run at that young of an age. For that age I would look for a pom squad not a regular cheer team and take tumbling at gymnastics so that when she was older if she wanted to move up to a cheer squad and do tricks not just dance with the pom poms she has the tumbling experience necessary. I bet you will end up with 1 pom practice a week and 1 tumbling class and few if any competitions for pom. I think that would be a healthier option to look into for her age.

Look for a summer camp program. They usually last a week. It seems like everything is a huge commitment anymore. My son couldn't do t-ball this year because, they wanted to practice six days a week. He's five. :glare: We want him to enjoy sports, not dedicate six-sevenths of his life to them.

I am looking for a summer camp type program. I am finding out that they only exist so far if you are joining that organization for the year.

Six days a week practice fo r a 5 year old:001_huh:. That is so wrong.

yeah, what is that all about? We really struggle finding fun (especially athletic) activities for our kids because we refuse to allow them to take over our lives.

OP, would you consider starting a low-stress, non-competitive squad for your dd and some others to enjoy? Surely there are other parents who find this as ridiculous as you do.

So far I have decided that I am a rare person here as most people found this perfectly ok. I got looked at like I had three heads when I said something about it.

When dd was in cheer she was with a competive team. At her level it wasn't that much commitment but if we had not moved she would have continued and by now been pretty close to that commitment.

There is cheer squads that are not competitve like that but they often do not run at that young of an age. For that age I would look for a pom squad not a regular cheer team and take tumbling at gymnastics so that when she was older if she wanted to move up to a cheer squad and do tricks not just dance with the pom poms she has the tumbling experience necessary. I bet you will end up with 1 pom practice a week and 1 tumbling class and few if any competitions for pom. I think that would be a healthier option to look into for her age.

No pom squads here. She is in gymnastics and loves it. Most things here start at 4-5.

So far I have decided that I am a rare person here as most people found this perfectly ok. I got looked at like I had three heads when I said something about it.

wow.

just.

wow. I mean, 5 year olds????

One thing that might be worth looking into may be to call some smaller private schools. I remember as a cheerleader in a small christian school we would hold a fundraising cheer camp for smaller girls. It would be a Friday evening, Saturday morning event and they would later be able to cheer at a football game the next week.

Is there i9 sports (http://www.i9sports.com) in your area?

My youngest wanted to play flag football, so we signed him up this spring. Two hours on Saturdays for 8 weeks - nothing during the week. It is perfect for us.

In our area they offer cheerleading and soccer as well.

I just looked and the nearest one is about 2 hours away. Otherwise, that looked great. I have never heard of them but maybe they will be in the area soon.

wow.

just.

wow. I mean, 5 year olds????

One thing that might be worth looking into may be to call some smaller private schools. I remember as a cheerleader in a small christian school we would hold a fundraising cheer camp for smaller girls. It would be a Friday evening, Saturday morning event and they would later be able to cheer at a football game the next week.

I called one place like that but I am not a member of that religion so it is a no. I placed a few phone calls so hopefully someone knows of a place.

Young Champions of America if it's in your area-one night a week, uniforms that cover everything, and so far, no suggestive dance moves. More pom than cheer for 4-10 yr olds (no stunting for age 4-6 at all, minimal for 7-10) There are recreational, no-cut, everyone participates and competes with the team (two showcases a year, with a possible state competition for teams scoring well) through age 18 or high school graduation if they want-including kids with special needs or who simply are never going to make it on a school team. There are elite teams that are try-out only as well, but that's not required and there is no problem with staying in the recreational teams all the way through just for fun. It's been a wonderful activity for my DD, who isn't particularly physically gifted and loves being part of the team.

http://www.youngchampionsofamerica.com/

Edited by dmmetler

In the summer look for a day camp program for that age. That will introduce simple stunts and dance at that age and typically the week will end with a performance for mom and dad. Community center, parks and high schools have day camps for this age group that are quite affordable. Cheer and regular gyms have cheer camps in a higher price range and will probably be set up to sell you some sort of year round program by the last day of camp.

In the fall many rec football leagues have sideline cheer as an activity. Generally, this just the chants, not much stunting if at all and no dance. Usually the committment to sideline cheer in 1 practice and 1 game for September to the beginning of November.

DD has asked to take cheerleading. So I have been looking around for a place for her. So far unless I am willing to not let her do any other activities, family time and in general childhood life, I can't find a place so far. They want her age 5-6 to complete almost weekly, three practices a week at 1.5-2 hours. What happened to simple cheerleading fro girls who want to try to see if they like it? It is like all or nothing. I wonder how many girls burn out or families burn out from these hours.

I am not talking about the older girls just the young girls that this seems too much.

Our church has cheerleading, basketball, baseball/softball, and soccer programs that last around 3 months each, with one practice per week and one game per week. (Sometimes before games start there are 2 practices per week.) The cheerleaders cheer for the basketball games. Our local park and recreation department has a similar program.

Have you checked your local parks and/or churches to see if they have a similar, low-stress program?

I think it might be the wrong time of year for what you want. Look in late summer for rec league and upward football registration. They usually have the cheer leading that you want. Also, look in the late fall for basketball sign-ups. They usually have cheerleading, as well.

Almost all kids' sports have turned into this. It is sad to me that kids just can't enjoy an activity any more without it being turned into a competitive event.

:iagree:

I find it sad as well. My dd is in gymnastics and I am amazed at how fast it has ramped up. She is 6 and is there 8 hours a week. I am ok with it for now bc it is great exercise and she homeschools. . . otherwise, no way.

I struggle with this for ds who likes sports but even our local soccer has gotten SOOOO competetive that I find my 4 year old not getting much playing time :glare: I find it ridiculous. Oh and last Friday they sent out an email that if it rains we still have games, bring towels! ummm, no? he is 4!!!! ugh.

Do you have an Upwards by you? They are a program done in churches. In the summer they usually have basketball and cheerleading. dd did cheer with Upwards when she was 5. My dc will be doing Upwards basketball this summer. It is relaxed, they don't even keep score, and really focus on the kids learning and have fun. We are thinking ds will only play Upwards sports this year... regular teams are just too much for 5 yo's these days, for us anyway!

In my area, the Church of Christ has the Upward program. It does have a devotion at each practice. It is short. The cheerleaders have 1 practice a week, and 1 game on Saturday. We tried it for the first time this year, and really wish we had discovered it earlier. I think the Upward website has a listing of churches that participate so you could find one near you. But cheerleading is in the winter.

I 2nd the Upward program. They use cheerleaders for their basketball and football programs. My dd did that several years. One practice per week and one game a week. Extra meeting once or twice to make spirit signs for the gym. Affordable too.

What kind of cheer program are you looking for. Around here there are lots of options. The Little Gym offers cheer for littles. Youth football teams offer sideline cheer and often much less intense competition cheer. Then there are more competitive teams at gymnastics or cheer gyms. My daughter's cheer gym offers cheer for littles with classes just once a week.

Check the community education department through your local county agencies. They often have low commitment sports.

Here, there is also a country club that offers classes in their Junior Center. You don't have to be a member to take the Jr Center classes. They have cheer, tennis, volley ball and other common sports.

Check w/ your local area high schools. Ours does a summer cheer camp that is either 1 week, or 2. As a pp suggested, look into Upwards programs in your area. They are fabulous. Check your local area YMCA, they also have sports programs for kids, and usually aren't as competitive; somewhere between upward and rec. sports. Keep trying different churches. I know the Methodist Church here has summer basketball and volleyball camps, and you don't have to be a member. Do you have a Parks and Recreation program? Sometimes they offer sports and summer camps for sports.

If your area doesn't have an upwards program, talk to the youth leader at your church (if you have one) and see if he can bring in the upwards program. Ours started at the Baptist church here years ago, and has gotten so big, that it now encompasses 4 churches (Baptist, 2 Methodist, and a Lutheran). And that's just for basketball. I wish they would offer the other sports here too.

Young Champions of America if it's in your area-one night a week, uniforms that cover everything, and so far, no suggestive dance moves. More pom than cheer for 4-10 yr olds (no stunting for age 4-6 at all, minimal for 7-10) There are recreational, no-cut, everyone participates and competes with the team (two showcases a year, with a possible state competition for teams scoring well) through age 18 or high school graduation if they want-including kids with special needs or who simply are never going to make it on a school team. There are elite teams that are try-out only as well, but that's not required and there is no problem with staying in the recreational teams all the way through just for fun. It's been a wonderful activity for my DD, who isn't particularly physically gifted and loves being part of the team.

http://www.youngchampionsofamerica.com/

That looks great. They are not in my state.

Yep--it's a big commitment at our gym, too. I'm not terribly familiar with the cheer side, but it's all about preparing for competition. But after watching it, I'll never let my kids do it--seen too many girls get dropped {shudder}

Yeah they get dropped at times. DD was a top so she got dropped at times. It goes with the sport. In gymnastics learning the beam or bars you fall. In hockey you get checked. In football you get levelled. Like many other sports there is a degree of physical risk.

This is dd 2 years ago when she

. She is the first on up on top and then the one up on top closest to the left side of the screen (she is also the one that forgot a set of her arm moves and hit herself in the forehead early on lol). Learning the simple stunts she fell or was dropped on occasion. But as you can see even at that age the stunting in minimal and generally safe. No high tosses just yet. This was the competive cheer company we joined. DD misses is all the time since we moved 2 hours from there and there is no cheer squads out here. Next year she will be back in tumbling and I may start driving her out to cheer again the next year if she still wants it that bad. It was teh first and only time in her life she really connected with a sport and was driven to improve.

I think it might be the wrong time of year for what you want. Look in late summer for rec league and upward football registration. They usually have the cheer leading that you want. Also, look in the late fall for basketball sign-ups. They usually have cheerleading, as well.

Here you register for fall sports in the spring. Winter sports register in august. It is crazy. If you aren't register by then, you are not getting on. DD has gymnastics today and I hope one of the moms has a place.

This is so true. My oldest is not good at sports (at all), but would so badly like to do them for fun. There just isn't much out there for that. He wanted to try baseball. I said no. I think (and I didn't say that to him) it would set him up to feel bad because he would be so far behind many of the other kids because it's serious even at 10.

Even when I brought him to activities when he was 3 (at the Y). One mother told me she was frustrated because her kid wasn't learning real skills. I just wanted my son to have fun and run around. She was disgusted they hadn't really played a real game. *sigh*

Are you sure that is true? In our area, there is the select/elite team, traveling tryout league, the competitive city wide league, and then a house/rec league. The house/rec league commitment is only a few times a week and a kid at age ten with no prior skills would not be out of place there. The nice thing about that one is they do teams by neighborhood so you have a good chance of getting on a team with a friend.

For the op, I have no experience in cheer, but in our area there are "camps" all summer for every possible sport. A two week program two hours a day would be a great chance to learn more about the sport.