Menu

DS7 scratched up neighbor's brand new car

Wait a minute! Why in the world would a driveable car have to be in the shop 5 days for a paint job? I might pay one day for a rental car while they actually do the work but a week? No way. I would take them a check for the amount they quoted you originally for the work. I would also take a paper saying that you satisfied your responsibility for the damage and ask them to sign it. I would be apologetic and say that you need it for your records and you are sure they would understand since you all want to be good neighbors to each other. I did this in the past when I hit someone's car. They were happy that I paid promptly and without fuss and understood that I needed some protection as well.

I agree. That's unreasonable to be asked to pay for a rental for 5 days for a freaking paint job! Someone hit my dh's truck last year and the other driver's insurance paid for it. It was in the shop 3 days or so (it was parked when it was hit) and they never gave us a rental. Nor would I have wanted them to. There's no reason. That's craziness. I told dh to tell the other driver not to worry about it (it was a busted tail light-easy cheap fix) but the cops were already called and the guy insisted...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you offered to pay to repair the damage your son caused, I think that's the right thing to do.

I would be more worried about a 7 year old not listening while scootering in the street... it could have been a lot more serious than a paint scratch.

The person saying she wouldn't accept the payment would either be out $500 themselves or soon driving a rusty car. Not too smart IMO. Snarky reading comprehension comments notwithstanding. (How does disagreement equal lack of reading comprehension?)

The collision shop guy told me how they had to sand, use some kind of filler, primer, and some number of layers of paint and each step had to dry. I thought it sounded like a lot because the written estimate only included 2.5 hours of labor.

If anyone has had a major (24 inch) scratch repaired (totally repaired not just buffed) can you give me an idea of how long it took?

That sounds about right to DH and I.

I haven't deal with a little scratch; I just let them go. But when my car windows were bashed in, it took something like a week to repair because they had to repaint parts of the car in addition to replacing the windows and interior panels (scratching from the broken glass).

I know you mentioned that your homeowner's insurance won't cover it, but have you asked your auto insurance about it? Even if they don't cover it, they might be able to help you with knowing what a reasonable cost would be.

Edited by joannqn

You don't agree that a person who desires compensation for property damage places high value on their property? :confused:

It doesn't rise to the level of caring about property more than "anything else", no. It is simple reparation to that which was damaged. If it was my car, and I knew it would be a significant hardship on the family, I would make a deal for them to pay it as they could over time in writing. I would never make someone go without food or needed medical care for a scratch on my car, but I would expect some effort be made to pay for the damages caused by the child not being properly supervised.

Wait a minute! Why in the world would a driveable car have to be in the shop 5 days for a paint job? I might pay one day for a rental car while they actually do the work but a week? No way. I would take them a check for the amount they quoted you originally for the work. I would also take a paper saying that you satisfied your responsibility for the damage and ask them to sign it. I would be apologetic and say that you need it for your records and you are sure they would understand since you all want to be good neighbors to each other. I did this in the past when I hit someone's car. They were happy that I paid promptly and without fuss and understood that I needed some protection as well.

1) There is often a wait at body shops for the paint booth.

2) The weather and humidity have to be right in order to paint.

If it were my only car, I would expect a rental for the duration of the repair. Even at a local body shop where we are family it took a week to get my car back because the weather wouldn't cooperate. If I had another car and could swing 1 car, I would not.

The collision shop guy told me how they had to sand, use some kind of filler, primer, and some number of layers of paint and each step had to dry. I thought it sounded like a lot because the written estimate only included 2.5 hours of labor.

If anyone has had a major (24 inch) scratch repaired (totally repaired not just buffed) can you give me an idea of how long it took?

My very small dent/scratch alsomhad to have several layers dry. I swear it was only in the shop for a day. I honestly don't recall but it was not more than two days.

My Suburban needed more work once. It had damage to the back end and the side. That one took a week but only because it was done over the holiday season.

I think you shoud pay for the scratch. I think it is right and fair. I think paying for a rental car for five days is excessive. I could never ask that of someone under these circumstances.

Back door and rear quarter panel of a 2002 Dodge Stratus was keyed about 2½ feet. We're practically family with the body shop and were skipped in front of everyone else. It was gone 7 days (part was over a weekend) because the different layers had to dry and there was blending involved and we had rainy days where they could not paint. It may take them 2½ hours to actually apply the layers of filler and paint, but the layers have to dry and cure, so the car has to sit before they can do the next step.

If it is that deep of a scratch that sounds right. there is the prep and then the drying of all layers. If one layer isn't dried all the way the paint will bubble. Bubbles pop and then you are back to the rust problem again.

If your auto insurance covers other drivers I would offer my car for the time and deal with the inconvenience of being a one car family. Also, check with the paint place, they might have a loaner car around somewhere. When my car was being fixed instead of a rental I drove a lime green billboard for a week, but I saved money.:001_smile:

It sounds like you are handling this really well. Good job mom!

About 3 years ago we were rear-ended. The damage would have been nil had bumpers been metal. However, with the way the bumpers are currently, we had a dent and a scratch. Insurance was involved and a police report was filed.

We had only one panel that needed repair (I believe). The body work was either $1000 or $1200. Their insurance also covered a rental car while our car was in the shop. It took 3 or 4 days. Part was to repair the scratch, let it dry, paint, let it dry, and paint again.

You can't tell where the hit was anymore.

But I would expect a rental during the time I didn't have the car. At the time, that car was the only one that we all would fit in, so if we didn't have access to a car, we couldn't all leave the house together.

At the time, that car was the only one that we all would fit in, so if we didn't have access to a car, we couldn't all leave the house together.

^^^ This is the problem, they have a large family and although they have two cars, this was their van, the only vehicle in which they all could fit. If they wanted to go somewhere as a family they wouldn't be able to. I'd offer them the use of my minivan but I don't think all of them would fit.

Wow, a week's rental of a van. It may be more expensive than the repair. :(

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am repeating something already stated. Why isn't the owner of the car talking to his car insurance company? If he puts a claim in on the scratch it shouldn't affect his premiums. When we had a scratch like this we only had to pay our deductible and the insurance company picked up the tab on the rental and the rest of the repairs. You should only be responsible for his deductible. If he is asking for more, I would wonder why. I know it is a headache for the owner dealing with getting it fixed but life happens and you are trying to be decent about things.

As horrible as it would be, I would cough up the cash.

That being said, have you asked about their insurance? I think it's safe to assume that they have full coverage since it's a brand-new vehicle. They should go through their insurance and you should pay their deductible, IMO, not the full cost of the repair (unless they have a $500 or greater deductible in which case it's not worth it for this particular instance.)

I haven't read all the posts, but I would not expect them to make a claim for this on their insurance, since every claim costs the insurance money, and that can then result in a rise in rates. I wouldn't even ask my insurance company to pay for this amount. Because I may end up paying a TON more in increased rates. Just my random thoughts.

You don't agree that a person who desires compensation for property damage places high value on their property? :confused:

Not necessarily. As others have said, a scratch opens the door (no pun intended) for rust. Which then affects the integrity of the body. It's almost like a broken window. If you don't fix it, it leads to other problems (wet carpet, mold, and so on....).

So I wouldn't think it has anything to do with their valuing their property more than other stuff. I think it is a wise financial decision to fix the scratch now, before further damage can occur.

I would pay the money. It sounds reasonable to me (DH has worked in body shops.) I would not ask the person to claim on their insurance and would be offended if someone asked that of me in those circumstances.

Son should do manual labor to "get the point"!

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am repeating something already stated. Why isn't the owner of the car talking to his car insurance company? If he puts a claim in on the scratch it shouldn't affect his premiums. When we had a scratch like this we only had to pay our deductible and the insurance company picked up the tab on the rental and the rest of the repairs. You should only be responsible for his deductible. If he is asking for more, I would wonder why. I know it is a headache for the owner dealing with getting it fixed but life happens and you are trying to be decent about things.

If someone else is responsible for the damage, the insurance company will not pay unless the person cannot be found. For example, if your car is hit in a parking lot but the person who hit you did not leave you a note. If the insurance company knows who hit you, they may pay initially but contact that person's insurance company to get reimbursed.

Sorry you all are dealing with this!

One big reason we moved was to prevent these types of things from happening. We have an adhd son who was sneaking out at various times or just running off when we were outside to the neighbors house and messing, getting in their boat, etc.

It was driving me nuts.

So, it is more difficult in the country, but better in that aspect. Although our dog brought a neighbor's shoe home the other day, and thankfully did not chew it up. It was brand new and very expensive! I don't need that stress. We are getting a trainer.

Consequences are necessary in age appropriate amounts. And this son does not ever show remorse. So, :grouphug:.

Thats outrageous. I would never ask someone to pay that for a scratch on a car.

I would not ask my kid to pay either, bc thats too much. He could never earn that or save it in any length of time.

I guess you are stuck, but I wouldnt let my kid anywhere near that person's property bc clearly they like their stuff more than anything else.

By all means please keep your kid away from my property as well, if that is your attitude.

I do wish reading comp was stressed here.

I would not ask that of my neighbor.

I would pay.

But the OP offered to pay (as I would have done). We do not know what the car owner would have done otherwise. For all we know, the owner would have accepted a heart-felt apology.

The other thing is that maybe the owner is not insured against this type of damage. Many people only have insurance for liability.

When I was a young adult, my dad gave me his old car which was included on the family's car insurance. I was rear-ended by a semi on the freeway, totaling the car and causing me a trip to urgent care. The car insurance companies decided it was an act of God, so no liability to the semi for my injuries. My health insurance decided the car insurance should pay. I decided not to file a car insurance claim since my parents did not need that. I was out of pocket for the entire experience. So no, I would not expect the neighbor to do make an insurance claim. I'd be profusely apologizing for the trouble AND paying for the damage. And my kid would be learning how to feel remorse one way or another.

I could just never ask that kind of money from a neighbor. Sorry. Never in a million for a scratch in paint. Id be too ashamed of myself to do that to another family let alone a CHILD.

Id pay for it if my kid did it but I sure as heck wouldnt make him sell his scooter for it.

Oh yes, I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree! If I was hard up for cash, I would probably accept the offer of payment. I would not however, expect anything more than an apology for a minor damage done by a 7 year old child!

Sounds like a good price to me. Body work is crazy expensive. I've never had an estimate under $1000 no matter how tiny the damage.

I'd hurry over with a check in the full amount, along with a plate of home made cookies. I'd have ds with me, and he'd offer a (rehearsed) apology, along with my own, for the damage and for the time and hassles the car owner went through to fix the damage.

I'd also ask the owner (in private, out of hearing of ds) to PLEASE let ds, with my personal supervision, do some simple chore such as raking grass or leaves or picking up sticks from the yard (for mowing, etc) . . . for an hour or so a few times (maybe an hour on Saturday for a few weeks) to try to make token amends for the hassles the car owner endured getting estimates, getting the car to the shop, being carless while it is in the shop, etc. I'd make sure the car owner knew I wanted to do this with my son, not as a punishment (which would only be appopriate for an older child who was intentionally careless, disobeying rules, or vandalizing . . .), but as a token show of amends. I'd do the chores WITH my son, cheerfully, and I'd deliver baked goods each time, too.

Now, if somebody's kid was on my property, and I'd INVITED them on, and they were behaving reasonably (not vandalizing or breaking known obvious rules intentionally), then I'd never ask (or accept) parents to pay for typical kid-damages such as car scratching. But, if a neighbor kid just happened to choose to play near MY car on MY property and damaged it, then I'd accept the parents' offer to pay for damages. So, I think it is reasonable for you to pay in this case, and in any event, you really have to now, and I definitely would NOT ask the owner to go to any more trouble getting estimates, etc. Just pay up, move on, and be more careful next time.

(((hugs))) This stinks!

Oh yes, I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree! If I was hard up for cash, I would probably accept the offer of payment. I would not however, expect anything more than an apology for a minor damage done by a 7 year old child!

In my book, $500 worth of damage to a new car is not minor. Why should the car owner have to pay for the repairs? I'm glad the OP sees it as her responsibility. I'm so surprised at those who think a deep scratch doesn't need to be repaired. Think RUST!

A scratch is NOT simply cosmetic; as others have noted, not fixing it will likely lead to rust and body damage at some point. Either way, a long scratch on a brand new car? That needs fixing. I didn't make the neighbor kid pay when he scratched my not-new-but-in-great-shape van, we ground our teeth and did it ourselves, but a brand new car? Yes, I would have told the parents and expected payment.

The amount of money is reasonable, and I wouldn't expect them to take the time to get three quotes.

The time frame sounds about right. I was rear-ended recently, and the minor paint job is what took, yep, 5 days. Someone mentioned a very minor scratch only taking 1 day, but I'm betting they were able to bring the supplies to the car, rather than moving the car in and out of the painting/sanding areas. That means you don't have to wait for space to be available.

The rental car issue is a tough one. We managed to get by for 5 days without requesting a rental, but it honestly wasn't easy. That's a looooong time to be without a car, and we only managed it because we stayed home a lot, grandma helped with rides, and we all fit in dad's car in the evening. So I think they have a good neighbor obligation to do their best to not use or minimize use of a rental car, but it might not be possible. I'd definitely be over there asking if they would like to use your car or if you could give them rides, lol.

In my book, $500 worth of damage to a new car is not minor. Why should the car owner have to pay for the repairs?
When I said minor, I meant as in easily fixed and not resulting in extensive damage to life or property. As a previous poster said, scratches happen. It comes with owing a car. Now I agree that if the neighbour's child has the propensity to keep damaging my property or if the neighbours are rude and not contrite about the incident then I would not be willing to let go of the damages. I also agree that I might accept the offer of payment if I really could not afford to pay for the repairs. But otherwise no.

I'm glad the OP sees it as her responsibility.
Yes, it is good form for the OP to offer to pay for damages. But I also consider it to be good form for the car owner to refuse such an offer. There was a discussion sometime back about whether a guest who breaks a crystal wine glass should be expected to pay for it. Honestly, perhaps it is cultural, but I find all such discussions quite astonishing. Things break. When something expensive breaks it really hurts. But such is life and you move on - especially when the culprit is a 7 year old.

When I said minor, I meant as in easily fixed and not resulting in extensive damage to life or property. As a previous poster said, scratches happen. It comes with owing a car. Now I agree that if the neighbour's child has the propensity to keep damaging my property or if the neighbours are rude and not contrite about the incident then I would not be willing to let go of the damages. I also agree that I might accept the offer of payment if I really could not afford to pay for the repairs. But otherwise no.

Yes, it is good form for the OP to offer to pay for damages. But I also consider it to be good form for the car owner to refuse such an offer. There was a discussion sometime back about whether a guest who breaks a crystal wine glass should be expected to pay for it. Honestly, perhaps it is cultural, but I find all such discussions quite astonishing. Things break. When something expensive breaks it really hurts. But such is life and you move on - especially when the culprit is a 7 year old.

I think one big difference is that the person in your example is an invited guest to the home, and is doing what they are "supposed" to do. I would refuse payment from a guest who accidentally knocked something over, be it a wine glass or a flat screen tv. But this boy wasn't a guest, and wasn't supposed to be riding his scooter near their car. It's different, imo.

I posted early on that I'm in agreement with your decision to be responsible for the necessary repairs.

However, I find it extreme if they are also requesting that you pay for a rental car while their car is repaired. It's a bad situation all around (your son/their car), but it seems as if they are taking advantage of you if they expect you to take on even more. To pay for repairs is reasonable, but it is also reasonable that they make do or somehow deal with one car on their ow (whether or not it fits their entire family).

Is this what they have actually said, or is the car guy just assuming? I would tell them I am sorry, but I'm not able to take on that additional cost.