Menu

Vitamin D and sun exposure...

This past week I heard from a class instructor who was teaching about our skin system that people in our country have such a deficiency in vitamin D because we no longer spend time outdoors... 15 minutes of direct sunlight a day is recommended for vitamin D.

Then teaching turns to skin cancer and avoiding sunlight!

So, what are people to do?

For me, I don't mind having sun on my head and not having sunscreen while I take a walk (under 15 minutes) before 10 or after 3pm... I will often pull weeds with a hat on, shading my face and let sunshine hit my legs (in shorts) while I work...

What says the hive?? Should we take vitamin D and ignore sunshine benefits? Should we get some sunlight during less intense sun ray time of the day?

I think everyone should be aware that sun exposure doesn't assure healthy vitamin D levels. If sun exposure is the source of D then I believe a 25 (OH) D test should be run (looking for a level of 50 or above) to make sure levels are actually good.

They did a study on this. Specifically, there was a well done study of those with high levels of sun exposure in Hawaii. They found that over 50% had vitamin D levels below 30. Almost none of them were 50 or above (which is where you want the levels). Hawaii is significant because most areas of the world are not at the right latitude to make vitamin D from the sun for much of the year. These people were at a great latitude with very high exposure and still almost none had good levels.

The average exposure was 22.4 hours a week of Hawaiian sun exposure without sunscreen. In addition, there were a variety of races and skin tones represented. It looks like a well designed study in all ways I can determine. http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...130&sendit=Get

Conclusions: These data suggest that variable responsiveness to UVB radiation is evident among individuals, causing some to have low vitamin D status despite abundant sun exposure

Study hypothesized why so many were low even though they had lots of sun exposure:

Possible explanations for this include inadequate cutaneous production of D3, enhanced cutaneous destruction of previtamin D3 or vitamin D3, down-regulation of cutaneous synthesis by sun-induced melanin production, or abnormalities of transport from the skin to the circulation.

In other words, some people just don't make adequate d through the sun. I don't think anyone should assume they're ok because they are in the sun.

JMHO, but based on all the reports I have read, etc., I do two things...

One: unless we are going to be out in the sun ALL day (like swimming or something), we skip sunscreen. And yes, we do spend time outside daily.

Two: We take Vit.D supplements daily.

Last year my son and I spent every morning outside in the sun. I only wear sunscreen on my face, I wore sleeveless shirts and shorts. I live in the South.

I had my vit D levels tested and they were below normal.

that tells me, in addition to all that I've read, that sunlight exposure is not enough.

I take 2000iu of Vit D daily.

Well, you really *need* the sun during that 10-3 window in May-September (in most of the continental US) in order to get the type of rays that will allow your body to make D. You can keep your hat on (or sunblock on your face) if you have bare arms and legs. You want sun up to but not including burning -- so enough sun that you *don't* burn, however long that is for you.

That said, a lot of us simply don't make enough D on our own, even with appropriate amount of sun. We need to supplement (usually quite a lot more than the RDA) in addition. ... But the fact is that our bodies get additional benefit from actual sun exposure (short of burning) above and beyond the benefits of isolated D.

I tend to avoid sunblock for myself and the kids unless I think there's a likelihood of burning. Then I start with a physical sunblock (California Baby and Badger are good brands) on faces or hats to start with, and add sunblock on areas likely to burn if we are staying in the sun further. ... Adequate levels of D tend to slow the process of burning anyway, so as you build up D levels in your body, it'll take longer to burn anyway.

I am very fair-skinned and live in a moderately sunny area. I have worn sunscreen everyday for the last 20 years even though I don't spend much time outdoors, because I have a family history of melanoma. I have never taken Vit-D supplements. When my vit-D levels were last tested (standard practice here for pregnant women) they were very high. In fact, the midwife claimed that they were the highest she had seen in years.

Apparently, I'm so fair that my minimal amount of sunlight exposure (with sunscreen on) is more than enough.

There is no answer that is correct for everyone. Statistics are interesting to researchers or doctors looking at large populations, but they don't necessarily tell you anything about your own skintone, diet, and lifestyle. You should always get your own vit-D levels checked and make choices from there.

I am very fair-skinned and live in a moderately sunny area. I have worn sunscreen everyday for the last 20 years even though I don't spend much time outdoors, because I have a family history of melanoma. I have never taken Vit-D supplements. When my vit-D levels were last tested (standard practice here for pregnant women) they were very high. In fact, the midwife claimed that they were the highest she had seen in years.

Apparently, I'm so fair that my minimal amount of sunlight exposure (with sunscreen on) is more than enough.

There is no answer that is correct for everyone. Statistics are interesting to researchers or doctors looking at large populations, but they don't necessarily tell you anything about your own skintone, diet, and lifestyle. You should always get your own vit-D levels checked and make choices from there.

dark skinned people do have more trouble getting enough vit d from sunlight.

We don't use sunscreen unless we expect to be outside long enough to run the risk of sunburn. We use high quality sunscreens and long clothing/hats when we are at the beach or otherwise outside all day. For shorter exposures, we soak up all the Vit D we can get. We are outside a LOT year round. I would bet the bank that we are all Vit D sufficient. :)

We see the doctor and dermatolgist regularly and have suspicious moles excised and sent for pathology.

So far, so good.

I just can't accept the idea that sunshine is a net negative to human health. It is just intuitively wrong to me, and the vast health problems associated with Vit D deficiency, and mental health problems associated with lack of sunlight, are proving me right all the time.

(And I never believe that getting stuff in a pill is equivalent to natural/whole exposure. That is the same argument that tells us the formula is the same as breast milk or Ensure is the same as a balanced meal. NOT CLOSE!)

What I have read is that you expose yourself to sun, but not to the point of burning - a barely pink tint is all you want. A gradual tan will protect you from harmful effects. We never use sunscreen of any kind unless we're going to the beach or pool and will be out on the water for long periods of time.

I've also read that if you are supplimenting with vitamin D, you need to be careful that you are taking D3, rather than D2, because it seems that D2 actually works against the good effects of sunlight and D3. (D3 is only derived through sunlight and animal products - D2 is derived from plants.)

JMHO, but based on all the reports I have read, etc., I do two things...

One: unless we are going to be out in the sun ALL day (like swimming or something), we skip sunscreen. And yes, we do spend time outside daily.

Two: We take Vit.D supplements daily.

:iagree:This is what we do to. My daughters have never had sunburn. I rarely use sunscreen when I am here at home. Only when I am out all day in the sun with no possible place to go indoors or when I am on vacation in a warmer more sunny climate.

I just can't accept the idea that sunshine is a net negative to human health. It is just intuitively wrong to me, and the vast health problems associated with Vit D deficiency, and mental health problems associated with lack of sunlight, are proving me right all the time.

:iagree:

• 3 weeks later...

There is currently a commercial spot sponsored by...the...oh darn! forgot who; but it was a govt. sponsored research group on vitamin D. They are now advertising that people NEED sunlight and should not be scared of going out into the sun. They say that lack of vitamin D is causing more health problems and risks than skin cancer causes. Bottom line...the sun is GOOD...getting sunburned is bad. So, go out and don't worry about being in the sun. Just watch for sunburn. You can go out middle of the day; just don't stay out long enough to burn. You can go out when the sun is weaker and stay for longer periods of time. Use sunscreen only when you are going to be out long enough to burn. I think we will be hearing more and more to de-educate us from what we have previously been taught about how horrid it is to have sun exposure.

We don't use sunscreen unless we expect to be outside long enough to run the risk of sunburn. We use high quality sunscreens and long clothing/hats when we are at the beach or otherwise outside all day. For shorter exposures, we soak up all the Vit D we can get. We are outside a LOT year round. I would bet the bank that we are all Vit D sufficient. :)

We see the doctor and dermatolgist regularly and have suspicious moles excised and sent for pathology.

So far, so good.

(And I never believe that getting stuff in a pill is equivalent to natural/whole exposure. That is the same argument that tells us the formula is the same as breast milk or Ensure is the same as a balanced meal. NOT CLOSE!)

We are outside every day during the summer and rarely, if ever, burn.

There is currently a commercial spot sponsored by...the...oh darn! forgot who; but it was a govt. sponsored research group on vitamin D. They are now advertising that people NEED sunlight and should not be scared of going out into the sun. They say that lack of vitamin D is causing more health problems and risks than skin cancer causes. Bottom line...the sun is GOOD...getting sunburned is bad. So, go out and don't worry about being in the sun. Just watch for sunburn. You can go out middle of the day; just don't stay out long enough to burn. You can go out when the sun is weaker and stay for longer periods of time. Use sunscreen only when you are going to be out long enough to burn. I think we will be hearing more and more to de-educate us from what we have previously been taught about how horrid it is to have sun exposure.

I'm thinking the concept of a Siesta is smart not only because it's a good way to pass the hottest part of the day, but it would keep a person out of the most damaging rays.

I can tell a difference in my body and my energy level with sun exposure. I was exhausted all day yesterday but made the effort to go outside and sit in the sun. I just watched DH dig in the garden. My the end of the day yesterday my energy level had gone up, I slept better last night than I have in a week and I feel rested today. I vote for direct sun exposure (I was out between 1&4 a couple of times, 30-45 minutes each time.).

Just more anecdotal evidence: Last summer my 12 yo son spent a minimum of 8 hours a day in the sun, every single day. He'd gone to two different summer camps and he and his brother spent the rest of the summer basically living outside, playing soccer, etc. And prior to the summer, he spent every afternoon outside, getting at least an hour and a half of sunlight. His Vt D level was checked at the end of July...He was borderline. His levels should have been through the roof. No way is sun exposure enough for some people.

Margaret

There is a fascinating premise/line of thought somewhere out there about how our constant bathing is part of the puzzle as to the low levels of Vitamin D, even with exposure to sunshine. The synthesis of vitamin D in the body takes time, and occurs in upper layers of the epidermis. If you shower or are swimming while in the sun, you can effectively remove the fatty acids where the reaction/synthesis is taking place, thus preventing the body from making the vitamin D.

My family gets mild sun exposure and also takes hefty supplements.

Last year my son and I spent every morning outside in the sun. I only wear sunscreen on my face, I wore sleeveless shirts and shorts. I live in the South.

I had my vit D levels tested and they were below normal.

that tells me, in addition to all that I've read, that sunlight exposure is not enough.

I take 2000iu of Vit D daily.

I just had mine checked and the results were <5! My Dr has me on 5000 IU daily.

This is a dietary problem too, and I eat healthy!

Dorinda

There is a fascinating premise/line of thought somewhere out there about how our constant bathing is part of the puzzle as to the low levels of Vitamin D, even with exposure to sunshine. The synthesis of vitamin D in the body takes time, and occurs in upper layers of the epidermis. If you shower or are swimming while in the sun, you can effectively remove the fatty acids where the reaction/synthesis is taking place, thus preventing the body from making the vitamin D.

My family gets mild sun exposure and also takes hefty supplements.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

So it's not really that being in the sun doesn't give you enough, it's just that we're still pretty ignorant about how all this stuff works.

But I'm sticking with sun because it worked well for a long time. :001_smile: I'm willing to bet that it's the daily showering that is more of a culprit.