Menu

Moms of visual learners - can you help me with math??

diaperjoys

Moms of visual learners...can you give me some suggestions for math? We're finishing up CLE grade 2, which I really like. My son, though, dreads math - he sees it as unending with lots of pages, and though he's bright, he's NOT quick with his facts, so math is easily taking him an hour or more.

I think he's highly visual - he is riveted by whatever he sees (computer screen, bright lights, video, etc., and quickly forgets anything that he hears.

What kind of math programs should I be checking out?? This is for my oldest son, who will be 9yo, 3rd grade in the fall.

I was wondering about something like BJU Math with the colorful pages, and maybe even using the DVD format so he could get a flashy presentation with lots of charts & such? But really, I'm at a loss as to where to go next for this youngster. Ideas, please?

I am a visual learner and the diagrams and graphics explaining concepts in Singapore makes tons of sense to me. Sometimes I have to try to explain things in another way for my kids and it's difficult because how Singapore is explaining it is so crystal clear anything I come up with seems less clear. :)

My sons are both visual, and are doing well with Math-U-SEE. I love the program.

You can search on YouTube "Steve Demme MUS" and it pulls up videos of him answering parent questions, so you can get a taste of his approach and style. I really enjoy it.

Moms of visual learners...

I think he's highly visual - he is riveted by whatever he sees (computer screen, bright lights, video, etc., and quickly forgets anything that he hears.

What kind of math programs should I be checking out?? This is for my oldest son, who will be 9yo, 3rd grade in the fall.

?

Teaching Textbooks?--reasonably flashy video presentation. MathUSee utilizes computer and manipulatives and is good for my visual son--but it is not flashy, for him flashy is not positive. I am thinking to get the RightStart games which someone mentioned even though we are not doing RS as our curriculum. But my son likes games like Speed and Pyramid which involve math and cards. SM is very visual, but in a different way than either TT or MUS. You may need to look at examples of these and see what would be a fit. Your son can "test drive" TT online, visit MUS website (which has math fact drills available btw), and get just one book from SM to try them. I don't know enough about RS to know how to test that. But all of these are quite visual--but different sorts of visual.

Bju math is great! It uses lots of manipulatives to teach concepts. They teach he how and why behind facts.we are using the dvd program this year.they are amazing! My issue is that if I'm not sitting with my daughter she doesn't pay attention well. If your so.is good working independently then the dvd program is great. We will be sticking with bju math next year for third grade but not the DVD.

Have you looked at Beast Academy?

Muggins Math uses interesting manipulatives to explain concepts, and they have lots of games for practice. (Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at Number Neighbors, Prealgebra for Visual Learners, and Polygons to Polywogs.)

Timez Attack and Mythmatical Battles both helped DS memorize his times tables in a painless way.

Also, I agree with the PP who suggested explaining everything visually on a whiteboard. I tried at least a dozen math programs with DS and when I asked him what he thought was the most effective, he said it didn't seem to matter what program we used as long as I explained it on the whiteboard!

Jackie

CLE can be very visual if you use lots of manipulatives for every concept introduced .

We do this and use the white board a lot. For memorizing math facts, I have heard that using flash cards that have the answer on them in a different color works really well. That's what we are about to try.

We switched over to BJU from RS, and it was a similar thing, needing shorter amounts on the pages, more color. It was very, very good for us. Now we're doing TT, and it's also turning out to be good for us.

You might also read "Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World" by Freed. Sometimes that getting overwhelmed with a lot on the page is an attention issue. When you say he forgets what he hears, that can be working memory. You could be seeing the tip of something. Freed claims most ADHD kids are VSL.

My VSL much prefers Singapore to the other programs I've used with him (MEP and RS). He loved the BA sample as well, though I'm holding off on getting 3A/B until this fall since he isn't quite there yet.

One supplemental workbook that he devoured in less than a week was the Critical Thinking Co. Math Analogies Book 1. He wants me to get book 2 but again I'm not convinced he's ready for it yet.

Mom to VSL kiddo here - and what I've found and learned over this past year (he's in 3rd) is that once they have the concept down they do not need repetitive review and lots of problems each day, but rather time to move on and visit a new concept. I started the year with McRuffy Math and LOF (we read a chapter a day) and we started out great but McRuffy became the same problems day after day - he knows how to add and subtract and he wanted more. So I pulled out a Singapore Math book and he's loving it. I also use HOD with him so it helped that I had the hands-on aspect to add to it although he probably would be just fine reading the textbook and then doing the workbook. I had thought about MUS but looking at the sample pages all I see are problems and more problems - not a good fit. I have TT 4 on my shelf so we are working on multiplication and division in Singapore and I just might give that a whirl next. Ideally, I'd love to find something for the long haul but I think in these early years it is keeping that math interest alive and running with it - no matter how you get it done. Ideally, I need to print out a list of the skills needed for math for grade 3 - cover them and move on. We've recently started using the DreamBox math from homeschool coop and he's enjoying that, too. He loves, loves LOF.

We use Singapore Math here with great success. We also use an abacus which helps avoid the use of fingers or counting the pictures. The HIG helps tremendously to present the concepts. I have MM as a back up to go over more information but if I could do it all over again I would probably have not purchased MM because it seems to me that it is mostly repetitive worksheets. I have to say that for both of my kids I have been reducing the volume of math required and they both seem to be benefiting from that approach. Liping Ma's book is a good resource for me--now I can understand better how my children approach math. Very, very helpful. I also let my daughter use the white board.

Being able to teach my daughter math in a way that makes sense to her has been one of the best benefits of homeschooling for me (and wasn't even one of the reasons--we started all this for my son!). She is such a good, quiet girl that tries hard and I think that nobody would have caught her issues with math until it was too late. I am so grateful that I was able to see what was happening in the beginning and meet her at her level. I don't think that would have happened if she had remained in a school setting (public or private).