Menu

ROLL CALL: Relaxed Peeps check-in

So, we left our VA. Such sweet relief. The kids have all been focusing on what they want or need to work on instead of trying to keep up with reports.

15yo is focusing on Biology.

12yo is focusing on reading science books and writing.

8yo is focusing on reading skills and writing.

I am focusing on babies and moving stuff.

They have all spent a lot more time together and we are not rushing or plugging learning into little boxes.

I really do enjoy this board. But, I don't see myself as a classical schooler. I have been checking out some other homeschool spots but nothing really seems to fit. I am not really an unschooler. Waldorf resounds with me on many levels, but I just don't like routine and well planned out stuff. Drives me nuts. I like to see my children following their interests and I make that into a writing assignment. I need that creativity or I get really bored with homeschooling and being a mom.

I plan to start blogging again, too.

Checking in! I have always been pretty relaxed although I love many elements of the classical ed.

I am debating how to handle hsing my younger son. Older son is on a pretty solid path and currently investigating gaining high school credits at the Community College or our state university. I see my day to day teaching of him coming to an end--although I do recognize plenty of guidance will still be sppropriate. :) My younger son, however, is still a free spirited sweetie. We have had bouts of unschooling in the past and I am wondering if that is a path that would work out well for him. He is working through some academics very well on his own and in his down time he tends to do things liTke watch the khan academy videos on macroeconomics. But, if I tried to schedule a year long, high school credit out of it, I am not sure he would have the stamina to do it all. Maybe within the next year he will mature into the rhetoric stage, but for now I see him benefiting a lot from time absorbing information and developing his critical thinking skills with said info.

I still enjoy these boards immensely and profit from the combined knowledge and willingness of members to share.

I am with you. Classical is not my thing. It is great in theory but not for us. I am not homeschooling to create little geniuses who spout classical literature and latin phrases. I just want my kids to have a good education but mostly ENJOY learning. If that is textbooks then let it be textbooks. If that is me lecturing about something then so be it. If DD wants to stop, drop, and create a poetry book then okay with me. I bought Oak Meadow and am using that as my general guide. It is very relaxed and gives no schedule for day to day work.

I see people with 9-10 things listed as their kid's curriculum list and I cringe. I mean why? Such overkill. I want to enjoy my kids and still have time for my interests and theirs.

Please stay around and blog so I can follow!!:001_smile:

We're leaving our VA at the end of the year and I'm really looking forward to going back to our relaxed style, too.

I'd leave right now, but I'm willing to jump through hoops for a couple more months for our piano lesson money. :p

I don't consider us classical hs'ers, but I do enjoy and appreciate the knowledge and wisdom of this board. And the diversity. :)

I'm trying to be more relaxed. We do a lot of outside activities. Then I stress that we're not doing rigorous work when we do have the time. When we do do school, we use a lot of classical materials. However, I'm trying to come to terms that I'd prefer my kids to be at the museum and learning in a more hands on fashion at least half the time. I'm not a sit at home type and that's hard to balance with a classical education. I am in awe and often envious of what many people on this board are able accomplish. But not enough to clip our wings.

Laura

Checking in! We're definitely on the relaxed side of things. It is going well though!

The kids have (at long last) developed an interest in American history (thank you America: The Story of US!)

Cassia and I are working on reading, using various tools and approaches.

Cyrus is writing stories.

I love the IDEA of classical, and the WTM, but in reality, too much for us. I have enjoyed all the Circe threads lately though, about truth and beauty in classical schooling.

So, this week my oldest not only did a ton of "work" in Biology. But, we had some fun discussions. He spent "extra" time researching some rabbit trails. We had discussions and this morning when I was explaining to his brother about the Bac Out and enzymes and how it actually gets all the boy pee smell out of the bathroom....well he told me about what he learned about enzymes in Biology.

And, I didn't have to clean the toilet;)

I just read another post on this board that made me feel yucky. I am happy for them. But, it isn't my reality. I still wish I could find a board where folks were relaxed, yet not radical unschoolers. I often feel like I cannot find my place anymore. I am not failing my children.

This sounds like a great learning experience and a memorable family experience as well. Sometimes I look at our days as a collection of the memories they will become for our family, not just a series of times to teach the kids a specific lesson.

Don't get down! We all have children / families with diverse strengths and needs. I try to take the good bits from the forums and the bits that don't apply to us (and there are many and they are not all related to education only!) I read with interest while trying not to make too much of a comparison.

So, this week my oldest not only did a ton of "work" in Biology. But, we had some fun discussions. He spent "extra" time researching some rabbit trails. We had discussions and this morning when I was explaining to his brother about the Bac Out and enzymes and how it actually gets all the boy pee smell out of the bathroom....well he told me about what he learned about enzymes in Biology.

And, I didn't have to clean the toilet;)

I just read another post on this board that made me feel yucky. I am happy for them. But, it isn't my reality. I still wish I could find a board where folks were relaxed, yet not radical unschoolers. I often feel like I cannot find my place anymore. I am not failing my children.

I don't view home education as a competition, so what other folks manage to do doesn't get me down! Good for them! They are doing what works with all their combined personalities.

Further, I don't believe there is only one way to be right. Hence I try to find out as much about all methods, because it is fun to learn how it's working in other places. But one thing I do know, is that one can follow a classical pattern with a verve and make it fun. So, to me, relaxed is more of an approach to our day v. a statement of content. Having a relaxed approach has helped us to manage to get everything I see as important done in a week. Happily. And with a lot of laughs!

I can't even characterize what we're doing here in our home these days. So, our informal name of "Clown College" seems to what I'll go with... :D

LOL, reminds me of the many conversations I have with my kids about what we should name our homeschool. We have come up with some interesting ones.

My kids keep on wanting a name with the word "usefulnessless" in it (a word they made up in honor of their dear dad and his efforts in the garden.

We're pretty relaxed. I try to hit reading, writing and arithemetic. And if we read some history or science together sometime during the week, I feel pretty good.

I am a check the list type person, so I make a schedule that is actually pretty light and try to get through it during the year. If something isn't working, though, we drop it or replace it with something else. If they want to read something else besides what is on the schedule, I don't care--we can skip the one on the schedule. My kids watch so much on netflix relating to history and science that I really don't worry about those.

Given my signature, I feel like I'm going to end up laughed off this thread :tongue_smilie: , but we are actually pretty relaxed here. Really. I promise. :D Plus, I completely agree with this, specifically the bolded:

I don't believe there is only one way to be right. Hence I try to find out as much about all methods, because it is fun to learn how it's working in other places. But one thing I do know, is that one can follow a classical pattern with a verve and make it fun. So, to me, relaxed is more of an approach to our day v. a statement of content. Having a relaxed approach has helped us to manage to get everything I see as important done in a week. Happily. And with a lot of laughs!

I see people with 9-10 things listed as their kid's curriculum list and I cringe. I mean why? Such overkill. I want to enjoy my kids and still have time for my interests and theirs.

I understand your point but I sincerely hope you don't always judge the nature of a homeschool solely by its curriculum choices. Anyone who reads my signature and has seen the school schedule I've posted here a couple of times would think I am a super strict, no fun mama who only cares about covering all my bases. I can see how the LA part of my signature alone could make most relaxed people roll their eyes at me in disgust. :tongue_smilie:

But we don't do everything every day, by a long shot. Then again, we do some things daily that most people relegate to once a week (like art, music, and science) because they are loved. What we do I choose after carefully considering my children's personalities, preferences, and capabilities. My kids learn together and play together.

On another note, just because a kid is studying Latin doesn't mean that kid isn't having any fun. An enjoyable education means different things to different kids. It's a wrong idea to think that we know what constitutes too much, too little, or just right for any family but our own. Learning traditionally classical subjects also doesn't necessarily mean parents don't have time to enjoy their kids or that the kids don't have any spare time. Despite my signature, my kids all play imaginatively for hours a day. They play Legos and fairies and blocks/marble run. They ride their bikes and scooters and play in the sandbox. They draw, play their instruments, play video games and watch TV/movies, read (the favorite now is Calvin & Hobbes), etc., etc., etc.

I just wanted to pop in on this thread and say please don't leave to any of the self-proclaimed relaxed people because (1) above all, I value the diversity of viewpoints on this board and (2) I relate more to relaxed homeschoolers most days than strict classical, regardless of the resources I use. It is the philosophy with which you use resources that matters. We don't do anything in Kindergarten but work on reading (with whatever books they bring to me; I don't use a curriculum) and play a bit of math. In first grade, we start all subjects, but we do most of them together and have loads of fun. In the afternoon, I do one hour of one-on-one with each kid. So, again, despite the scary signature, the load is pretty light and light-hearted.

I can't even characterize what we're doing here in our home these days. So, our informal name of "Clown College" seems to what I'll go with...
About my name, I sometimes wonder if people think I'm trying to make it sound like a snobby classical academy. :tongue_smilie:

Alte Veste was a name I picked because of an incredibly fond memory from my childhood. In 6th grade, I attended a DoD school in Germany and had the most incredible teacher. Every Friday, he would take us on an all-day field trip to a nearby park on a big hill called Alte Veste. We hiked there and back. We played, ate, and studied in the fresh air among the trees. At the beginning of the year, we each picked a quiet spot of our very own to reflect, have quiet time, write poetry, etc. We each picked a single tree to follow through the year. The year was magical. To this day, nothing compares to that educational experience. When I first considered homeschooling, my thoughts immediately went to my experience at Alte Veste and how much I wanted that for my kids.

Will we study Latin? Yes. Will Latin become more important than their individual spirits and setting time aside for Alte Veste experiences. No way.

I read through all 39 (or so) pages of the Circe thread and... I don't know. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Usually I enjoy those threads but... Seriously, I don't know what it is. If I'm being completely honest, I wanted to post a couple of times asking where the substance was. :blush: I mean, it was a seriously long philosophical conversation with very little in the way of practical information and it felt like people were talking in circles about nothing at all. I kept wanting to ask what it even meant. Did anyone read that thread and come out of it with something they can sit down with on Monday and do with their kids? Maybe I'm just grumpy but it all felt very phroofey. Or is that frufy? Frufru? Whatever. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Alte Veste was a name I picked because of an incredibly fond memory from my childhood. In 6th grade, I attended a DoD school in Germany and had the most incredible teacher. Every Friday, he would take us on an all-day field trip to a nearby park on a big hill called Alte Veste. We hiked there and back. We played, ate, and studied in the fresh air among the trees. At the beginning of the year, we each picked a quiet spot of our very own to reflect, have quiet time, write poetry, etc. We each picked a single tree to follow through the year. The year was magical. To this day, nothing compares to that educational experience. When I first considered homeschooling, my thoughts immediately went to my experience at Alte Veste and how much I wanted that for my kids.

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the highlighted, I am totally going to do that with my children! :D

I understand your point but I sincerely hope you don't always judge the nature of a homeschool solely by its curriculum choices. Anyone who reads my signature and has seen the school schedule I've posted here a couple of times would think I am a super strict, no fun mama who only cares about covering all my bases. I can see how the LA part of my signature alone could make most relaxed people roll their eyes at me in disgust.

But we don't do everything every day, by a long shot. Then again, we do some things daily that most people relegate to once a week (like art, music, and science) because they are loved. What we do I choose after carefully considering my children's personalities, preferences, and capabilities. My kids learn together and play together.

If you go to my blog, and the page on what we use, it is at least as long as Alte Veste's sig line! I love having lots of things to pick and choose from for my kids. Sometimes ds is in the mood for more structured writing instruction, sometimes he is in the mood for something looser.

I do think it is absolutely about how you use the resources, not how many resources you have.

Given my signature, I feel like I'm going to end up laughed off this thread :tongue_smilie: , but we are actually pretty relaxed here. Really. I promise. :D Plus, I completely agree with this, specifically the bolded:

I understand your point but I sincerely hope you don't always judge the nature of a homeschool solely by its curriculum choices. Anyone who reads my signature and has seen the school schedule I've posted here a couple of times would think I am a super strict, no fun mama who only cares about covering all my bases. I can see how the LA part of my signature alone could make most relaxed people roll their eyes at me in disgust. :tongue_smilie:

On another note, just because a kid is studying Latin doesn't mean that kid isn't having any fun. An enjoyable education means different things to different kids. It's a wrong idea to think that we know what constitutes too much, too little, or just right for any family but our own. Learning traditionally classical subjects also doesn't necessarily mean parents don't have time to enjoy their kids or that the kids don't have any spare time. Despite my signature, my kids all play imaginatively for hours a day. They play Legos and fairies and blocks/marble run. They ride their bikes and scooters and play in the sandbox. They draw, play their instruments, play video games and watch TV/movies, read (the favorite now is Calvin & Hobbes), etc., etc., etc.

I just wanted to pop in on this thread and say please don't leave to any of the self-proclaimed relaxed people because (1) above all, I value the diversity of viewpoints on this board and (2) I relate more to relaxed homeschoolers most days than strict classical, regardless of the resources I use. It is the philosophy with which you use resources that matters. We don't do anything in Kindergarten but work on reading (with whatever books they bring to me; I don't use a curriculum) and play a bit of math. In first grade, we start all subjects, but we do most of them together and have loads of fun. In the afternoon, I do one hour of one-on-one with each kid. So, again, despite the scary signature, the load is pretty light and light-hearted.

About my name, I sometimes wonder if people think I'm trying to make it sound like a snobby classical academy. :tongue_smilie:

Will we study Latin? Yes. Will Latin become more important than their individual spirits and setting time aside for Alte Veste experiences. No way.

U

I read through all 39 (or so) pages of the Circe thread and... I don't know. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Usually I enjoy those threads but... Seriously, I don't know what it is. If I'm being completely honest, I wanted to post a couple of times asking where the substance was. :blush: I mean, it was a seriously long philosophical conversation with very little in the way of practical information and it felt like people were talking in circles about nothing at all. I kept wanting to ask what it even meant. Did anyone read that thread and come out of it with something they can sit down with on Monday and do with their kids? Maybe I'm just grumpy but it all felt very phroofey. Or is that frufy? Frufru? Whatever. :tongue_smilie:

Hey! Actually, and strangely for me, I found the open-ended ness of that thread to be very thought-provoking. The very lack of "how" has left me feeling strangely empowered to do things the way that works for me. For now, that is defined as "what makes me feel more relaxed and happy". I am quite sure it won't last forever, but at this point in the school year I fellt the need to do things differently, approach school from a different angle. Maybe it's also that i see anxiety in my older; he tends that way, as I did as a child, and I don't "blame" our approach thus far for it. Bt we've got a long road ahead of us, and sometimes, you need to just lean back and soak in some beauty and light.

Hey! Actually, and strangely for me, I found the open-ended ness of that thread to be very thought-provoking. The very lack of "how" has left me feeling strangely empowered to do things the way that works for me. For now, that is defined as "what makes me feel more relaxed and happy". I am quite sure it won't last forever, but at this point in the school year I fellt the need to do things differently, approach school from a different angle. Maybe it's also that i see anxiety in my older; he tends that way, as I did as a child, and I don't "blame" our approach thus far for it. Bt we've got a long road ahead of us, and sometimes, you need to just lean back and soak in some beauty and light.

Maybe because we are in a really great place with school, maybe because I felt like a somewhat disinterested, unconflicted fly on the wall of that thread, maybe because I was just grumpy yesterday :tongue_smilie:, I checked out for my own needs and worried about the newbies.

I see you as confident and capable. I'm sure you have your fretful, worried times, like we all do, but you're not new at this. I imagine that it's because you're reasonably confident and have accomplished a good amount with your kids already, this philosophical "permission" to relax feels freeing to you.

As an analogy, I think of this academic soaking up of beauty and light as floating in the water on a beautiful summer day. It is my favorite thing to do in the pool, just lay there on my back enjoying the water, the sun, and the peace. But if I didn't know how to swim, trying to float would be pointless and petrifying! In the end, I would drown. Maybe that was my problem with the thread. You know how to swim. I know how to swim. We're not Olympic material yet but we're doing alright. :tongue_smilie: We can float for a while without feeling like failures or floundering to the point of deciding to get out of the pool altogether. But I saw people on that thread with arm floaties who didn't know how to swim asking how to swim and the answer was mostly to just try swimming around on your own until you figure it out. I didn't like that tone--the tone of the confident swimmers telling the beginners to figure it out on their own instead of mentoring them. Sometimes we need lessons, explicit lessons.

I was going to say almost the exact same thing about Alte Veste's story.

Laura

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the highlighted, I am totally going to do that with my children! :D

Thanks! That means a lot, especially since I hesitated to post on this thread at all.

If you go to my blog, and the page on what we use, it is at least as long as Alte Veste's sig line! I love having lots of things to pick and choose from for my kids. Sometimes ds is in the mood for more structured writing instruction, sometimes he is in the mood for something looser.

I do think it is absolutely about how you use the resources, not how many resources you have.

Yes! That's how things go here.

I really enjoyed. She has a really pretty sink, too. I am thinking she never has to shine it:lol:

I don't think I have February burnout. I don't even think I have burnout at all. I just find myself plodding along, cracking the whip and it isn't who I want to be. My dh and I have discussed why we homeschool. That was put to the test this last year when we really started to struggle.

We want to homeschool so our children have a childhood where they are free to develop. I am not saying that cannot be compatible with classical at all. But, when I am here I often hyperfocus on all these great curriculum and methods instead of our goal. I need to remember my goal and purpose.

Maybe because we are in a really great place with school, maybe because I felt like a somewhat disinterested, unconflicted fly on the wall of that thread, maybe because I was just grumpy yesterday :tongue_smilie:, I checked out for my own needs and worried about the newbies.

I see you as confident and capable. I'm sure you have your fretful, worried times, like we all do, but you're not new at this. I imagine that it's because you're reasonably confident and have accomplished a good amount with your kids already, this philosophical "permission" to relax feels freeing to you.

As an analogy, I think of this academic soaking up of beauty and light as floating in the water on a beautiful summer day. It is my favorite thing to do in the pool, just lay there on my back enjoying the water, the sun, and the peace. But if I didn't know how to swim, trying to float would be pointless and petrifying! In the end, I would drown. Maybe that was my problem with the thread. You know how to swim. I know how to swim. We're not Olympic material yet but we're doing alright. :tongue_smilie: We can float for a while without feeling like failures or floundering to the point of deciding to get out of the pool altogether. But I saw people on that thread with arm floaties who didn't know how to swim asking how to swim and the answer was mostly to just try swimming around on your own until you figure it out. I didn't like that tone--the tone of the confident swimmers telling the beginners to figure it out on their own instead of mentoring them. Sometimes we need lessons, explicit lessons.

Interestmng. I guess I was just looking at it selfishly :tongue_smilie:. I don't think though that the thread was giving people permission to loll around doing nothing, but Ido think you're right that for a certain personalities, who believes that homeschool should be filled solely with beautiful moments reading shakespeare to eager, obedient children sitting at our feet soaking up knowledge....well, for those people I would say "homeschooling involves a lot of repetition, core work, skil study, and yea, it's not all fun and beauty and truth and peace and butterflies." sometimes it's an insistent parent and a reluctant child and clashes and tears and frustration. But it helps to keep the big picture in mind, too.

Interestmng. I guess I was just looking at it selfishly :tongue_smilie:. I don't think though that the thread was giving people permission to loll around doing nothing, but Ido think you're right that for a certain personalities, who believes that homeschool should be filled solely with beautiful moments reading shakespeare to eager, obedient children sitting at our feet soaking up knowledge....well, for those people I would say "homeschooling involves a lot of repetition, core work, skil study, and yea, it's not all fun and beauty and truth and peace and butterflies." sometimes it's an insistent parent and a reluctant child and clashes and tears and frustration. But it helps to keep the big picture in mind, too.

Aw, now I think my floating in the pool analogy may have failed because that was exactly my point! Floating in the pool gives the appearance of requiring very little effort but that is a false impression. First of all, it requires knowing how to float in the first place, a skill which requires bravery, confidence, and trust in yourself and/or another person who will help ensure you don't sink while you are learning the skill. Secondly, even when mastered, maintaining a successful floating posture involves constant monitoring and adjustment which, although they feel effortless and unimpressive when you've been floating successfully for a good, long while, are key to developing the skill in the first place.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people reading that thread and taking from it what they needed to hear. I was just irritated to see some people asking for more detailed information and being told to give floating a whirl on their own.

I'm an exceptionally relaxed homeschooler these days because I'm done! The last thing my younger ds has to do now is pick which college he is going to next fall.

Just piping in to cheer on those of you still homeschooling in a comfortable, floating and relaxed state of mind (except for those days when you are either panicked or faced with a stubborn child). Relaxed homeschooling can work all the way through high school, and produces interesting young adults who are fun to hang around.

Halcyon and Kristina (aka Alte Veste Academy) -- I think you each are articulating the process beautifully.

Aw, now I think my floating in the pool analogy may have failed because that was exactly my point! Floating in the pool gives the appearance of requiring very little effort but that is a false impression. First of all, it requires knowing how to float in the first place, a skill which requires bravery, confidence, and trust in yourself and/or another person who will help ensure you don't sink while you are learning the skill. Secondly, even when mastered, maintaining a successful floating posture involves constant monitoring and adjustment which, although they feel effortless and unimpressive when you've been floating successfully for a good, long while, are key to developing the skill in the first place.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people reading that thread and taking from it what they needed to hear. I was just irritated to see some people asking for more detailed information and being told to give floating a whirl on their own.

I hear what you are saying, and I remember five or six years ago looking for days on end at schedules and just wanting somebody to tell me *how* to make this work. What I now know though is that other peoples' schedules and formulas are just a jumping off place. You almost have to thrash around a bit before you start to see what will work for your situation. I saw the responses in that thread as posters trying to express that need to sort it out before you can really find what works.

FTR- I feel so rigorous compared to other hmechoolers I know IRL but feel like I am barely cracking a book when I compare myself to some here. The reality is that we are doing what works for us, trying to keep the proper tension between necessary skills and rabbit trails, pushing to excellence and allowing time to blossom, rigor and relaxation.

Oh no I understand that completely! I throw things in also but do not list them in my signature. I just felt like to some people it has become more is better. One of the reasons I took my youngers out of PS was because I feel like they can get better in less time here at home. Then I hear of people saying that middle school takes 6-7 hours! WHY? They don't get half that much in PS. I just fear for the people who do nothing but homeschool and it overwhelms their lives instead of being a natural flow.

As for the Circe thread....I came away feeling like it was an SAT word usage contest. Do we need to dissect happiness on that level? I mean for the love of pete....just live.:tongue_smilie:

You have always been an encouragement to me!

I'm an exceptionally relaxed homeschooler these days because I'm done! The last thing my younger ds has to do now is pick which college he is going to next fall.

Just piping in to cheer on those of you still homeschooling in a comfortable, floating and relaxed state of mind (except for those days when you are either panicked or faced with a stubborn child). Relaxed homeschooling can work all the way through high school, and produces interesting young adults who are fun to hang around.

Halcyon and Kristina (aka Alte Veste Academy) -- I think you each are articulating the process beautifully.

I've found secularhomeschool.com to be a great board that fits your description. Have you checked it out? Most people use curriculum or create their own lessons but are pretty relaxed and homeschool for similar reasons to yours.

I am a Christian and honestly don't want to be annoying;). i am sure to be welcomed there. I do check it out on ocassion. Thanks!

ITA. In fact, I think unschooling done RIGHT is FAR more effort than even classical homeschooling on the parent! Following your child's lead, providing them with resources, input (but remembering to stay hands-off enough to let them do the guiding), enthusiasm, restraining worry that your 10 year old only likes to read Spiderman comics...I couldn't do it. I remember reading something (probably here) that 80% of what a writer knows doesn't end up in their final book, but NOT knowing their stuff makes for a poor final product--so just being surrounded by that knowledge, that spark, helps children become more fully formed human beings.

An analogy might be a plant growing in poor soil versus good soil. The soil surrounds it, supports it, nourishes it, but doesn't tell the flower exactly how to grow. With poor soil, the flower won't bloom, but with good soil, and the sun above to guide its upward growth, the plant will eventually turn into a beautiful flower.

I take a very relaxed approach to homeschooling. I didn't stsrt out that way, but I realized very quickly that a relaxed approach is what works best for my kids. :001_smile:

Can you tell me what your typical week looks like? I need ideas(and permission) to let go more.

We have always had a fairly relaxed approach to our home school, and I know my kids are thankful for the flexibility they have had in following a new interest instead of always following a strict schedule. Right now though, with a rising 9th grader, I am trying to figure out how to maintain our current style/ learning atmosphere while also meeting expectations for high school credits and college admission. If anyone has advice/a chill pill for me on entering the high school years with a relaxed approach, I'm all ears!

Well, we are filling out our transcript as we go. So, he may study bits of biology each year. This year he is using Apologia and the VHSG. there are other biology items we want to get to. But, honestly wemdon't want to do it allthis year. So, we will just put Biology for Grade 9. But, he will be doing it all 4 years.

That is the plan anyway.

We're pretty relaxed, but the dc are in a 'give us structure' phase right now. So I hand them syllabi.

The older two are working through Geometry and Biology together. The oldest is journaling on the Harvard Classics suggested daily readings. The second is making some kind of wildlife/bird illustrated guide-ish kind of thing. Oldest needs high school Americna History, and I realized that the second hasn't really studied it all the way through, with less than a year and a half until she goes out to high school, so they're going to start going through an AP syllabus for that.

Little guy has a history bug right now, so he's wanting to follow along with the big kids, and has gotten a head start, choosing a middle school-level textbook over the Joy Hakim series of books. He is also working through Life of Fred Algebra and Real Science For Kids Level 1 stuff (Chemistry right now, I think ... his interest has waned, so I don't know where he is with it).

The litlte one is finishing a BrainQuest workbook from Barnes and Noble. She is also reading the Little House books and will probably tag along after a fashion with the older kids' American History stuff, but I don't have curriculum, per se, for her.

I'm thinking of re-introducing them all to Khan academy and maybe setting up some sort of contest for mastering modules. Competition is always well-received here.

We've been pretty structured for several months now (for us), I'm waiting for it to fall off as it usually does in cycles. I love the term tidal homeschooler, as it describes us very well.

I have two thoughts...

One is that this board is full of practical information all the time. Hundreds of threads of it. You can ask about any specific practical application and be relatively assured of at least a few responses. So it's okay if, every once in a while, we have a thread that is more philosophical (though I did contribute a pretty practical post about literature, I thought.) It will get people talking and spin off threads with practical applications.

I think that another thing you see at play is that many of the people talking in that thread only have philosophical comments to contribute, either because they have young children or they are newer to pursuing classical education.

Anyway, I was just popping in to read the thread because we are relaxed in schedule but rigorous in expectations, and that puts me at odds with both of the two major divisions of homeschoolers I meet IRL. :tongue_smilie: My 9 yo, for example, has done nothing but read for the past five or six weeks, because this is our crazy time of year for the girls, and I am perfectly happy with that. He will, though, finish his Latin book by the end of the year. :001_smile:

An analogy might be a plant growing in poor soil versus good soil. The soil surrounds it, supports it, nourishes it, but doesn't tell the flower exactly how to grow. With poor soil, the flower won't bloom, but with good soil, and the sun above to guide its upward growth, the plant will eventually turn into a beautiful flower.

Great analogy... I think that's exactly what "relaxed" should ideally look like.

I don't know what we are... it turns out we're not very classical. :D This is only our first year so it's hard to tell where we'll end up, but I do see the value of having some relaxed "tendencies" in our day. At least during the elementary years, I want to cover the basics, and have time to explore interests and let DS be a kid. He is advanced in some areas, but I want it to be more about meeting him where he is, rather than piling extras on him just because he can handle it.

:seeya: Definitely relaxed here. I've been through different phases--unschooling, Waldorf,?? Some of what we do is more structured which suits ds and I need a bit of a framework myself or I could get lost in following truth, beauty, and goodness. :) Or maybe just on a long walk in the woods.

As to that thread, I felt a bit like, Yes! that's just what we were doing anyway. Now I see a deeper level behind it. Then I went and listened to one of the lectures. Um....hm....I found some interesting bits, but overall I don't agree with the man in many areas. So, I feel like I'm just where I was. Doing the Yes! with my own philosophy to back it up.

Thank you! That means a lot, as I have always gained so much from reading your posts.

What I now know though is that other peoples' schedules and formulas are just a jumping off place. You almost have to thrash around a bit before you start to see what will work for your situation.

I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't expecting The Perfect Recipe for classical homeschool success. I have always been of the mindset that I take what I like and leave what I don't, so hearing many different people give practical advice has me gaining and tossing. Of course we each have to find our own way but looking at how many other people have arrived successfully at our intended destination is helpful.

One is that this board is full of practical information all the time. Hundreds of threads of it. You can ask about any specific practical application and be relatively assured of at least a few responses. So it's okay if, every once in a while, we have a thread that is more philosophical

True. I guess I was disappointed because, in this case, for me personally, the movie (aka the content of the thread) didn't match the trailer (aka the op asking for how--and I assumed she meant specifics but I may have been in error). Yes, there were snippets of practicality but the ratio of practical to philosophical was pretty low.