Menu

I placed our last Sonlight order

MinivanMom

I went ahead and bought my core D & E instructor guides last night. I guess we are done with Sonlight at this point.

I have to admit that I feel really sad. I remember reading my Sonlight catalog in the evenings when my oldest was just a toddler. It played a huge role in being able to envision myself as a homeschooler. I always knew I wouldn't be buying full cores from them once we got to core F, but I had imagined myself continuing to buy from them for the next decade or so.

I have nothing useful to add to the Sonlight discussion. I just feel sad tonight. That is all.

I went ahead and bought my core D & E instructor guides last night. I guess we are done with Sonlight at this point.

I have to admit that I feel really sad. I remember reading my Sonlight catalog in the evenings when my oldest was just a toddler. It played a huge role in being able to envision myself as a homeschooler. I always knew I wouldn't be buying full cores from them once we got to core F, but I had imagined myself continuing to buy from them for the next decade or so.

I have nothing useful to add to the Sonlight discussion. I just feel sad tonight. That is all.

:grouphug: feeling a great deal of empathy for you

:grouphug: I'm sorry for all who are unhappy with all the changes. I don't use Sonlight, and don't plan on it, but reading all the threads made me feel badly for you all! Maybe they'll be another change. But that may not help your decision at all if they switch back. :tongue_smilie:

I have always loved SL. I just hope that I haven't placed my last order! I ordered in January so I am good til next winter.

But I have to say the only change I've ever liked is not being forced to buy the giant binder with the cores.

I have to admit that I feel really sad. I remember reading my Sonlight catalog in the evenings when my oldest was just a toddler. It played a huge role in being able to envision myself as a homeschooler.

Me too. I think this is why it's been so hard for me to move on to something else. :grouphug:

It also helped me to envision my homeschool, and it always made me feel homey. I am doing Core C this coming year. I may move onto D minus TLATG, depending on other books and how the notes are. If not, I might "take flight" and do SOTW3 with SL books where I want them. Not sure yet; I've got to reevaluate and make sure things aren't changing.

I am empathetic for those that had high hopes and set to just move forward with SL for a while. It's the same for me, and I do feel a disheartening.

If I continue with Sonlight (based on how Core D goes this year), I'll either do the 4-day option or buy an older IG used for Core E. It looks like the offending books are not used as a spine like they were before. I still won't have those books in my house (talking about the first 100 pages of Usborne to my son since we're YEC is not a big deal... talking about an entire book that is so heavily providential... I wouldn't want it in his hands at this age).

I'm saving judgement for after the convention though, when I can see what the changes really are and how they're done. I encourage those who are thinking about leaving to maybe suggest alternative resources for those topics (I know she mentioned The Great Awakening and Amistad). I understand her wanting those topics covered (though to be honest, for the elementary set, I don't think it was THAT important :tongue_smilie:), and she wanted books that she could pull snippets from rather than having you read a whole other book. So I somewhat understand the choice, but at the same time, I'll bet there is another book out there that could do this job. If someone finds it, maybe it can be suggested.

If I continue with Sonlight (based on how Core D goes this year), I'll either do the 4-day option or buy an older IG used for Core E. It looks like the offending books are not used as a spine like they were before. I still won't have those books in my house (talking about the first 100 pages of Usborne to my son since we're YEC is not a big deal... talking about an entire book that is so heavily providential... I wouldn't want it in his hands at this age).

I'm saving judgement for after the convention though, when I can see what the changes really are and how they're done. I encourage those who are thinking about leaving to maybe suggest alternative resources for those topics (I know she mentioned The Great Awakening and Amistad). I understand her wanting those topics covered (though to be honest, for the elementary set, I don't think it was THAT important :tongue_smilie:), and she wanted books that she could pull snippets from rather than having you read a whole other book. So I somewhat understand the choice, but at the same time, I'll bet there is another book out there that could do this job. If someone finds it, maybe it can be suggested.

It's my understanding from those with older cores that these topics were covered in the IG notes.

It's my understanding from those with older cores that these topics were covered in the IG notes.

I know for the Great Awakening, they have the kid write a mini-report using an encyclopedia. I don't see any actual notes on those topics, but I may have missed something... this stack of papers is a bit unwieldy. :lol:

(I'm using 2005 version)

I know for the Great Awakening, they have the kid write a mini-report using an encyclopedia. I don't see any actual notes on those topics, but I may have missed something... this stack of papers is a bit unwieldy. :lol:

(I'm using 2005 version)

I would love to see sources for the events too for when we reach D. I'm always up for extra books! Which were the other things missing in the current cores? I can't remember.

What is funny is I felt this way 15 years ago.....then bought a core last year!:D

I found I like their upper cores much more than their lower...and my little boys like them better too.....lol.

Anyway, Good luck on your journey! There are so many wonderful curricula out there....don't fret, Just take your next step. Even Sarita sent her dd off to public school:D, something I would not choose to do......

I'm thinking of just not ordering Sonlight this year. I bought Core B last year, but with all the recent changes and drama I am just not getting that good feeling about the company anymore. Especially, after all the talk about the Core D changes. In a way I feel free though. It's fun looking at other curriculum again. But I was really hoping we had found what we'd use from here on out. As naive as that is. haha

I have bought complete cores till now. I ordered the IG's for D & E along with the exclusives I will use, and will order the IG for G at the end of the month before the changes. I will purchase from them again, but it will just be for the books I plan to use with these IG's. I also hope to get all of the upper IG cores before the big change next year, as I fear these huge changes aren't over and they just aren't going in a direction I like. I will use Amazon for books I can't get with my heirloom benefits on Sonlight.

I can commiserate. I will still use SL, it's worked well for us. But I used to buy from them before anyone else, and now I won't. I will miss box days!

And, I know it's silly, but does anyone else feel sad about all of the books SL has dropped? I'm just now looking to see, I started with the Core C list and felt so sad, sitting here thinking "No! My kids loved The Wizard of Oz!"

The Family Under the Bridge is also a special book in this house, so sad that people will miss out on it. Cappyboppy is another well loved book here. I can still read these books to my little one when he gets older, why do I feel so sad?

And I haven't even gotten to the other lists of dropped books yet...

I can commiserate. I will still use SL, it's worked well for us. But I used to buy from them before anyone else, and now I won't. I will miss box days!

And, I know it's silly, but does anyone else feel sad about all of the books SL has dropped? I'm just now looking to see, I started with the Core C list and felt so sad, sitting here thinking "No! My kids loved The Wizard of Oz!"

The Family Under the Bridge is also a special book in this house, so sad that people will miss out on it. Cappyboppy is another well loved book here. I can still read these books to my little one when he gets older, why do I feel so sad?

And I haven't even gotten to the other lists of dropped books yet...

They dropped WHAT?! Why would they drop those books? All three are family favorites thanks to Sonlight.

Sigh...I don't know why they couldn't just leave things alone. :confused:

Thrown over for Curious George and Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Sad.

They dropped. . . .CAPPYBOPPY?????

Ugh. Urgh.

We were just at a zoo on Monday, and my 19yo college student was looking at the capybaras and getting all nostalgic about that book.

Now I'm sad. Good thing I don't have any more little ones.

I'd better save that book for my (theoretical) grandchildren.

After 9 years of using TOG I'm finally reconsidering SL again. I have been so excited thinking back to my SL days with my oldest 2 and decided that I would use the core D&E combined with our younger crew.

I am coming into this discussion late...please fill me in-is there a reason I would NOT want to do this level with kids ages 12,11,10,9?

I planned just to buy the IG and get the books separately since I own many of them from my TOG days and can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Should I not get the updated IG?

Thanks for any direction!!

Blessings~

I am coming into this discussion late...please fill me in-is there a reason I would NOT want to do this level with kids ages 12,11,10,9?

I planned just to buy the IG and get the books separately since I own many of them from my TOG days and can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Should I not get the updated IG?

I think you'd be fine. If you don't like the 3 new books, they're day 5 only, so you could easily skip them. They don't appear to be essential to the program.

If you don't like the notes being behind the schedule each week, you could pick up a used core. Cores D and E are VERY stable. My 2005 Core D IG is exactly the same books as 2011, except the poetry book.

I think you'd be fine. If you don't like the 3 new books, they're day 5 only, so you could easily skip them. They don't appear to be essential to the program.

If you don't like the notes being behind the schedule each week, you could pick up a used core. Cores D and E are VERY stable. My 2005 Core D IG is exactly the same books as 2011, except the poetry book.

Thanks for your response...what is the main issue in a nutshell?

Thanks for your response...what is the main issue in a nutshell?

If your just buying the IG's they will be going up from 60 some dollars to $99.99 because the LA is now included in it.

Some people don't like that the 5th day is an "extra day" and some also have a problem with the books chosen for use on the fifth day. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358722&highlight=glory

This won't affect those not buying a full core but many are not happy about the Bible and LA being components of a full core.

That's all I can think of for now.

What's New

New Core D IG Sample

Oh, also the notes are divided up and put behind each week instead of book by book in the appendices.

ETA- If you want the old IG you can still order them until the 2nd of April.

If your just buying the IG's they will be going up from 60 some dollars to $99.99 because the LA is now included in it.

Some people don't like that the 5th day is an "extra day" and some also have a problem with the books chosen for use on the fifth day. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358722&highlight=glory

This won't affect those not buying a full core but many are not happy about the Bible and LA being components of a full core.

That's all I can think of for now.

What's New

New Core D IG Sample

Oh, also the notes are divided up and put behind each week instead of book by book in the appendices.

ETA- If you want the old IG you can still order them until the 2nd of April.

Thanks so much for the info...so i need to make a decision fast if i want the old IG...wonder how hard they are to find used?!

Thanks so much for the info...so i need to make a decision fast if i want the old IG...wonder how hard they are to find used?!

Are you going to use their LA? The answer to that question would answer the old/new question for me. If not I wouldn't pay $30+ more dollars for the IG. From what I've heard Cores D and E have long been favorites of SLers, so I don't think you would go wrong with the old if you have other plans for LA.:) After Core C, I'm going back to TOG myself after a trip through the Prairie Primer, but my kids aren't combining well, which will only get worse, and that's the main reason for me. It was nearly a wrenching descion whether to go through Core E or get out now, lol. I *think* I'm sure.:tongue_smilie:

Any chance you have an older Core E to compare? I am so torn...we really don't the funds to order another IG right now when I won't need it until Sept....but I really don't like SL LA either, so an increase in $$ if not of my list of fav things either. :(

We are using Core D (2010 version) now. Do I need to panic and try to get funds together to order E before the switch? Would using an older E be OK? I usually don't buy the individual books from SL anyway...

Any chance you have an older Core E to compare? I am so torn...we really don't the funds to order another IG right now when I won't need it until Sept....but I really don't like SL LA either, so an increase in $$ if not of my list of fav things either. :(

We are using Core D (2010 version) now. Do I need to panic and try to get funds together to order E before the switch? Would using an older E be OK? I usually don't buy the individual books from SL anyway...

I would buy the IG now then if you have the money.

• 2 months later...

I just bought from them. I guess if I haven't used them in the past I wouldn't know what I was missing out. For some of the books previously mentioned, my children have already read those books so it must be the younger books that are changing?

I used SL back when I hs-ed my now 21 and 23 year old dd's and I bought it again for my 13 yo ds when he was 6-10. I loved box day and looking through all the books. We have many great SL memories. :grouphug: But, after all the bologna that's gone on with them this year it just left a very bad taste in my mouth. I won't buy from SL anymore. I bought Memoria Press's 4th grade for my dd and I really really love MP and am very pleased with their new curriculum packages ..... but box day wasn't the same. :sad: