Menu

Boy asks girl "will you go out with me"...what does it mean?

"Will you go out with me" means?  

1. 1. "Will you go out with me" means?

• Will you go on a date with me?
    • Will you be my girlfriend/boyfriend?
    • Other?

One boy asked one girl this exact question "Will you go out with me". Girl said "Thanks, but No, I would like to just be friends". All is well in the situation.

2 girls, same age retold the events. One was the girl involved in the situation. The other is her bff, so assumably she has talked about it extensively with the one involved.

Girl 1 says "boy asked girl on a date"

Girl 2 says "boy asked girl to be his girlfriend"

What do you say?

Just to add clarification....both are under 15yo. If they are older teens/young adults, would that alter your answer?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I never though about it until tonight that I would interpret that question differently if were my 17ds, vs if it were my 13dd. (was/were ---sorry grammar folks, I don't know which to use LOL)

I don't really think of 13yos as dating, but I guess some do.

I wouldn't expect my 17yo, to ask someone 'will you go out with me,' unless he meant date. I would expect him to be more specific and say "Can I call you my girlfriend" or something equivalent.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

If a younger boy says it, it means he wants her to be his girlfriend. If an older boy says it, it means he is socially impaired :D

Okay, maybe not entirely, but people old enough to date generally ask you out on a specific date. Those who aren't brave enough for that kind of commitment have been know to mumble, "Would you like to go out sometime?" which is admittedly not much of an improvement.

Older teens and young adults who use the phrase "Would you go out with me?" should be turned down no matter what they mean, as they need to be brave enough to use the proper word (girlfriend, going steady, being exclusive are all acceptable) or sensible enough to clarify that they mean out on a date.

Several boys have asked DD to the military ball (JROTC). She has turned them down because, if she accepts, the boy will think they are boyfriend and girlfriend.

That's how it is around here. I told her if she wants to accept, to make it clear that it is for the ball only, and that no future relationship is implied.

I think she plans to go without a date to avoid the problem.

If a younger boy says it, it means he wants her to be his girlfriend. If an older boy says it, it means he is socially impaired :D

Okay, maybe not entirely, but people old enough to date generally ask you out on a specific date. Those who aren't brave enough for that kind of commitment have been know to mumble, "Would you like to go out sometime?" which is admittedly not much of an improvement. out on a date.

:iagree:

I think it means both. If you are "going out with someone," it means bf-gf, not just that this week you are going to do something together. But if you ask someone to go out with you, and you haven't dated that person before, it means go on a date.

What I find interesting in my sons' circles is that the kids take dating both more seriously and less seriously than back in my day--more seriously, as they call it cheating when you date more than one person at a time, but less seriously because you can have s#x with someone and not be dating at all!

I'm with Audrey. It means "to go out on *a* date".

I mean, how do you know if you want to *date* someone and be a boyfriend/girlfriend unless you go out on an *initial* date? Even my adult dd who is dating her best friend was asked to *go out with him* for lunch, at which time he asked her to *date him and be his girlfriend*. :)

Count me in the camp that says for younger crowd (pre-high school), it means "girlfriend/boyfriend." Around high school, it means go out on a date, usually with the implication that you will probably become girlfriend/boyfriend. IME, a boy wouldn't ask me out unless he was already pretty sure he wanted me for a girlfriend. And I wouldn't accept, unless I was already pretty sure I wanted him to be my boyfriend.

Oh, and there is this friend of mine from college who believed that because I had gone with a guy (and my brother) to an amusement park...one time...never held his hand or kissed him...that I had dated him, and had been, in fact, his girlfriend. She ended our friendship because I didn't tell her about my "prior relationship" with the guy .:001_huh: Yeah, I was the one who set the two of them up, too.

I never though about it until tonight that I would interpret that question differently if were my 17ds, vs if it were my 13dd. (was/were ---sorry grammar folks, I don't know which to use LOL)

I don't really think of 13yos as dating, but I guess some do.

I wouldn't expect my 17yo, to ask someone 'will you go out with me,' unless he meant date. I would expect him to be more specific and say "Can I call you my girlfriend" or something equivalent.

:iagree:

I think it almost always means "will you be my girlfriend?"

If that's not what is meant then I think a place / event is specified like "Will you go out to the movies with me?" Then we are talking date.

I think it's common also to say "Did you know John and Alicia are going out?" i.e. in a relationship... which may or may not include any actual "dates" especially for youngsters who can't drive yet to take a date anywhere. ;)

I remember kids "going out" with each other who you know never saw each other outside of school. LOL

I think it means both. If you will go out on dates with me, then basically you are saying you'll be my girlfriend/boyfriend.

Definitely not for everyone! I would think the majority of people date first, then become exclusive. Certainly a significant number of people, so I definitely would never assume that "will you go on a date" equates to "I want to be exclusive."