Menu

Bible Curriculum?

mommy5

Does anyone here use an actual curriculum for teaching Bible? Up until now, I've been reading the Bible to my 7 yr old ...I use the Children's Story Bible. I love how it is written so that kids can understand it ... but it still tells what is written. However, I'm wondering if there is anything I can add to teach either - Biblical Truth/Moral Truths, Scripture Memory Verses (we've never done that), Historical/Geographical Curriculum that studies Israel. Those are things I'm tempted to add to our reading. We read from Gen through Numbers last year and we've picked up with Joshua and are planning on finishing out the Old Testament this school year. We will start the New Testament in Third Grade, most likely, unless we find something else that teaches it differently.

We use God's Great Covenant from Classical Academic Press, and we love it! It is definitely written from a Reformed Protestant perspective, so be aware of that. We used OT-1 last year and are using OT-2 this year. I'm looking forward to the NT-1 next year.

I really can't say enough good things about it - it's just fantastic. It includes memory verses each week, a memory page with other main points that are to be remembered, a story to read about a particular event/person/time, several worksheets and a quiz and crossword page. There are geography resources available as well, and you can also get the audio tracks of the stories if you purchase the bundle.

I used it with my 2nd grader (last year) and 3rd grader and K-er this year. The K-er doesn't do anything but listen to the story.

I'm thinking of using Foundations Bible Curriculum next year. We used Telling God's Story this year, but abandoned the activity guide, as we didn't have time for it all. We need more meat throughout the whole week. I'm thinking of Foundations for most of the week and using Telling God's Story teacher's guide only 1 day a week. Foundations focuses on how to study the Bible and it's chronological. It seems to have a lot of mapping, memory work, journalling, defining words. You can see the first 4 weeks at the above link. I'm not sure if I'll go with it or not, but it looks pretty good. It utilizes Calvary Chapel's coloring pages, puzzles, and discussion questions.

The other option I may go for is Kay Arthur's kids series, but I'm not sure if my middle girl will be ready for it.

We use God's Great Covenant from Classical Academic Press, and we love it! It is definitely written from a Reformed Protestant perspective, so be aware of that. We used OT-1 last year and are using OT-2 this year. I'm looking forward to the NT-1 next year.

I really can't say enough good things about it - it's just fantastic. It includes memory verses each week, a memory page with other main points that are to be remembered, a story to read about a particular event/person/time, several worksheets and a quiz and crossword page. There are geography resources available as well, and you can also get the audio tracks of the stories if you purchase the bundle.

I used it with my 2nd grader (last year) and 3rd grader and K-er this year. The K-er doesn't do anything but listen to the story.

This looks interesting. What is Reformed Protestant? :blush:

Maybe look at Bible Study Guide For All Ages.

http://biblestudyguide.com/enter.htm

We just got ours in the mail this past week. DD previewed all the items, as I was checking it over and putting away for next year. She begged and begged to go ahead and begin! :thumbup:

And as we're only doing some kiddie devos, I say "Ummmm....YES!"

(Can't turn down a kiddo who's begging for Bible!!!)

Maybe look at Bible Study Guide For All Ages.

http://biblestudyguide.com/enter.htm

How important are the student pages? It looks like you have to buy 4 sets (per child!) for the year if you do one book in a year. Is that right? So for my two kids, the worksheets for one year are about $46? (and that is not for the teacher's guide...so it would be more than that). That seems really high for worksheets.....:001_unsure:

This is precisely what I want to study with my boys.....

Will you elaborate on how your children are handling the written work and how much you spend in preparation (the teacher's notes are wonderful) and actual study with the kiddos?

Also, what do you consider the ideal age range for this study? Taking four years with it puts my oldest finishing it up in 8th grade.....

:001_smile:

To the OP:

Memoria Press has a Christian Studies program that does not appear to teach doctrine but Bible (stories, facts, places, verses). I think it looks good. They use the Golden Children's Bible which is a children's version of the KJV. I have no personal experience with this program but wanted to put in your radar so you could research it.

Veritas Press also studies through the Bible chronologically. They emphasize facts and Bible knowledge as a foundation for deeper study when the child is in logic stage. They do not schedule memory work but that is certainly something you can choose to do based upon what you are studying. I like to emphasize key verses (i.e. Romans 3:23) as well as longer passages (i.e. Psalm 1). I am horribly inconsistent with this and working on developing a better plan so that I'm consistent with my children in Scripture memory.

Edited by abrightmom

We've been using Apologia's "Who Am I?" curriculum - the text, cd and notebooking journal. We don't do all the notebooking things becuase it is just too time consuming. We are are going to do God's Great Covenant next and I am really excited about it.

How important are the student pages? It looks like you have to buy 4 sets (per child!) for the year if you do one book in a year. Is that right? So for my two kids, the worksheets for one year are about $46? (and that is not for the teacher's guide...so it would be more than that). That seems really high for worksheets.....:001_unsure:

You don't need the TM. All of the review, mapwork, and timeline are on the student sheets. To do the program in its most basic form you would just need the student sheets and a Bible.

I held off a long time buying it because I thought the cost was too high. Then I realized that I wouldn't flinch at spending $100 for math for the year, but I was balking at a Bible curriculum, which is way more important, IMO. Not trying to talk you into it, just relating my journey.

What keeps me coming back every year is how much my kids LOVE it and how much they learn. :001_smile:

We use the Explorer's bible study series and really like it. Each week is broken into 5 lessons, and has a page of review questions. We're doing the Beginnings I level now, God's promises. It covers the Old Testament.

There are a variety of levels and topics, and it is an inexpensive program.

To make the book useable for more children, we don't write the answers in the book. We write them on notebook paper instead.

I was wondering the same thing. That seems really spendy but I like the format.

:iagree:

We are using GGC OT 1 this year and love it, too! I have a review and thorough explanation of how we use it on my blog.

http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/gods-great-covenant-ot-1-review/

I held off a long time buying it because I thought the cost was too high. Then I realized that I wouldn't flinch at spending $100 for math for the year, but I was balking at a Bible curriculum, which is way more important, IMO. Not trying to talk you into it, just relating my journey

:D That is very true!

I used Voyages from Concordia Publishing House and loved it. It has everything you said and applications and prayer prompts as well.

You need the student book, the memory book, a Bible, and a hymnal.

The TE is nice but not necessary.

I found that having a self-study Bible was also very helpful when I was teaching this--I used the Concordia NIV Self-Study Bible.

We just found this and really really like it!

Sorry, I'm a little slow getting back to this thread...

This looks interesting. What is Reformed Protestant? :blush:

I expect you are familiar with Protestant vs. Catholic, but by Reformed Protestant, I just mean that the author/publisher holds to the Doctrines of Grace...sometimes called Calvinism...also sometimes referred to as Covenant Theology.

This is precisely what I want to study with my boys.....

Will you elaborate on how your children are handling the written work and how much you spend in preparation (the teacher's notes are wonderful) and actual study with the kiddos?

Also, what do you consider the ideal age range for this study? Taking four years with it puts my oldest finishing it up in 8th grade.....

:001_smile:

I haven't done a lot in preparation recently, although at first I did take the time to read through the teacher's notes for the chapter on Sunday afternoon. That was beneficial. Now I mostly skim thru the notes while ds8 is reading the story aloud (we take turns reading) or as we go through the Memory Page.

We usually spend Monday reading thru the Memory Page and sometimes the story as well. Tuesday we sometimes read the story again...or we look up that week's topic in the Victor Journey Through the Bible...or we move onto the worksheets. We usually do both worksheets and either the quiz or the crossword puzzle, depending on the week. Normally we school 5 days a week, but often we'll only do Bible 4 days.

Ds8 does all of the writing now. Last year in 2nd grade, I did a bit of scribing for him. Ds6 (K-er) only listens to the memory page and story time but doesn't do any questions.

This is definitely not independent work for a grammar student. The more effort I put into it, the more we all learn.

:iagree:

We are using GGC OT 1 this year and love it, too! I have a review and thorough explanation of how we use it on my blog.

http://dougcarla.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/gods-great-covenant-ot-1-review/

Great review! The audio files are great; I should make better use of those. I completely agree with you on the chronological approach to studying the Bible, and I also love how GGC points to Jesus from the very beginning.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and reviews ... With my family dynamic and how we started out (going through the OT) I think I'm leaning toward God's Great Covenant ... although, I'm looking at CLE as well (since we already use CLE for 2 subjects). I liked the looks of Memoria but we don't typically use a King James Bible and I'm not sure how well we would do with the memory work. This will be used primarily with my 2nd grader.

I also would like to incorporate a more "devotional" style curriculum that we could do as a family. I like the looks of the Apologia but I'm wondering if our kids are too young?

Also, I like the appearance of BSGFAA but since we are already going through the OT, I sort of want to continue (and DS does, too... he told me he would like to learn even more and do some mapwork...).

We use Memoria Press Christian Studies, which are a great overview of the Bible in chronological order. They are for 3rd-7th grades, but we used the first book in K by doing it orally. We are getting ready to do it again, but this time my dd8 will be doing the workbook and maps, etc.

You can see the table of contents and samples on their website:

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/ChristianStudies.html