Menu

Shorts for teenage girls

Are fashionable shorts of relatively modest length, that are not Bermuda shorts, marketed to teenage girls?

So far, I have removed all shorts from DD's wish lists at Hollister and A & F because they are way too tiny. The inseams look like they are 2"-3", and some of them cost over $50!

I used to solve this problem by purchasing DD's shorts at Lands End or LL Bean, but DD now refuses to wear their clothing.

Does anyone know of a store that is popular with teenagers that sells reasonably priced shorts that more than scantily cover their bums?

Am I being stodgy? When I was DD's age, mini skirts were in fashion, and my mother let me wear them. I wore short-shorts and bikinis, too. So did everyone else. My clothing choices had no negative ramifications for me at all.

Yet here I am, shocked at how short the fashionable dresses, skirts, and shorts are. Ours were just as short.

Should I lighten up, and just be glad DD (so far) is not interested in wearing bikinis and low cut tops?

FOr the last several years my girls have worn short with probably a 5"-7" inseam that are various plaids. They are very popular around here but I am not exactly sure where they got them. They seem to be abailable just about everywhere. I just got rid of a huge stack of them.

They have started wearing the shorter shorts, usually softees or sport shorts, and I just make them wear their spandex (like volleyball shorts) under them. So they do have a bit more leg showing but at least I am comfortable that everything else is well covered.

Last year I finally found some at Old Navy. Kohl's and Target, where I usually can find at least store-brand stuff that isn't so street-walkeresque, were no help - everything was super, super short. My dds didn't even want to try them on.

But Old Navy had a few different pairs that were quite serviceable.

Well, my dd isn't a teenager yet (she's 10), but I buy boys' shorts and jeans for her. I don't like how short the girls' shorts are, and I don't like how tight the jeans are (plus the rise is too low on most of them). She's fine with this, but that's probably because it's what she's used to.

The funny thing is, when her jeans are dirty, sometimes she borrows her brother's since they wear the same size! :001_smile:

Another option for girls is to tell them they have to wear capris, no shorts at all. If my dd ever wants to stop buying boys' shorts, I might just have her wear capris. That's what I do; I don't even bother with shorts for the most part. It's just so hard to find decent ones in the girls' and women's department.

I'm not sure J crew would be considered fashionable to a teen but they sell 5" inseam shorts which I like. 3" inseams just don't cut it when you're 5'9" and old(er).

I have had the same issue with my (not yet teen) daughter and have decided to just accept that I disagree with fashion and as long as everything is covered she can wear what she wants. I have purchased boy short underwear to go under the shorts/skirts so that there are no issues but beyond that, I wore clothes my mother found barely appropriate and wound up perfectly fine.

Another idea to think about is to buy the brands she may like in longer shorts then shorten them to the length you feel is acceptable or even roll them. I am having the same problem with my almost 11yo dd. I have taken the shorts that are rolled to make them short and unsewn them to make them acceptable. I like the idea of short leggins under the short shorts too. I might have to try that one.

Since a lot of the clothes we recieve are hand me downs which means I don't always get to chose the clothes I would buy for my girls. So I try to alter them in easy ways to make them acceptable to my fashion standards.

Well, my dd isn't a teenager yet (she's 10), but I buy boys' shorts and jeans for her. I don't like how short the girls' shorts are, and I don't like how tight the jeans are (plus the rise is too low on most of them). She's fine with this, but that's probably because it's what she's used to.

The funny thing is, when her jeans are dirty, sometimes she borrows her brother's since they wear the same size! :001_smile:

Another option for girls is to tell them they have to wear capris, no shorts at all. If my dd ever wants to stop buying boys' shorts, I might just have her wear capris. That's what I do; I don't even bother with shorts for the most part. It's just so hard to find decent ones in the girls' and women's department.

:iagree: We don't do shorts for our 10 year old either; nor "skinny" jeans; and she hates low rise! The clothes that we are expected to dress our little girls in is just....well I shall restrain myself.

We do capris in the summer, or sundresses; Old Navy has nice capri length leggins for the summer.

~coffee~

Try Delia's if you have one near you. My dd likes the Bailey style shorts. She is long-waisted, so the shorts come almost mid-thigh on her. The inseam length is with the cuff rolled up double like in the picture. You could make the cuff smaller or unroll it completely.

http://store.delias.com/itemSearchProcess.do;jsessionid=A09E23FBF5D860C3C4CA0B48548E6D12.worker6?topnavTrack=search&incmpid=TopNavSearchBox&SKW=bailey+shorts&x=0&y=0

Not to sidetrack...but in our faith community, skirts or dresses that are just above the knee are considered "questionable". I am 5'11 and my DD is 5'6 at 13. The styles out now, we are LUCKY to get them to just above the knee. I don't consider it immodest. I could see not wearing shorter skirts to activities which might require a lot of action (hence possibility for revealing) but that's not the case here. What's wrong with knees, seriously?

But girls can wear shorts with a 3-5" inseam (which I don't let my DD wear) and that's ok.

???:confused:

I think it's become easier in the last couple of years to find shorts that are a little more conservative. We've gotten them at Old Navy, American Eagle, Gap, and J Crew. We only get them at Gap and J Crew when they are on sale, but they often have sales. We especially like Gap and the quality is good, and holds up for several years.

It's funny -- it's the same with me about how I used to dress: mini skirts, bikinis, etc. And yet, I don't like my own daughters wearing those for the most part, either!

funny, yesterday we were out and about, and dh and I saw three young ladies - probably somewhere between 13 and 15 yrs old - standing waiting to cross a street.

They were wearing the shorts you are talking about (dd11 wears them with leggings as do her friends - but not just the shorts), flip flops, and what looked like pj tops.

We both said something about it to each other.

I would look at like lord & Taylor.com or Nordstroms.com -- some of the higher end department stores carry 'cruise wear' or resort wear for kids that age and the length is more appropriate than the teeny weeny shorts we are seeing.......everywhere.

Delia's has a couple of longer pairs named "Reece" (7 1/2") and "Morgan" (12 1/2") that are exactly what I see the fashionable teens around me wearing (other than the shorts that show off their butt-cheeks :D).

Thanks for the links, AndyJoy! Our girls would wear these. Not cheap, but decent. Dd found some of similar length at the beginning of the season last year at Kohls. Same price. They sold out quickly.

I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I was just out shopping for an Easter dress with my almost 12yo. She has gotten too tall for the girls sizes and is now in juniors. I almost fell over when she tried on some of the dresses and they barely came to mid-thigh! And the fitting room attendant (a grandmotherly aged woman) acted like I was being ridiculous for objecting! Even my own mother and close friend are treating me like I am being silly. I just don't find it appropriate, and since she is MY daughter, I WILL get my way in this! :tongue_smilie: