Menu

Interviews - Is a suit necessary?

I think it is important to know the culture of the company that you are interviewing for. Plan to dress at least a step better than the folks working there. For example, if they wear printed t-shirts and torn jeans, I'd plan on tan slacks and a button down shirt. If they wear tan slacks and button down shirts (or better), I'd plan on a suit and tie.

Pegasus

I think it is important to know the culture of the company that you are interviewing for. Plan to dress at least a step better than the folks working there. For example, if they wear printed t-shirts and torn jeans, I'd plan on tan slacks and a button down shirt. If they wear tan slacks and button down shirts (or better), I'd plan on a suit and tie.

Pegasus

How would you find out this information on the company culture? Would you call and talk with Human Resources? Is there another way?

Kelly

How would you find out this information on the company culture? Would you call and talk with Human Resources? Is there another way?

Kelly

I would ask human resources. Say something like, I know many tech companies are casual, what's typical to be worn for interviews? Do your candidates usually wear a suit? I know the tech companies that my dh has worked for would find a suit way over the top, but they do let candidates know that before they come.

Job involving meeting with clients: suit, unless informed otherwise.

Inside job: If you can ask discreetly, that's good; otherwise I agree with the suit / carrying the jacket. That way he can adjust depending on what he sees upon entering.

And in honor of my favorite computer geek IRL - make sure the zipper is up. Much more important than the jacket. :D

Dress shirt and suit pants, and carry the suit jacket over the arm. That shows the individual is taking the job seriously but it's not as stuffy as wearing the full suit.

Add a tie and this is what my dh wore to a job he interviewed for in August(no way was he going to put a full suit on!) He got the job.

GL to your dh!

I haven't worn a suit to a face-to-face interview in years, probably 15 years or so. Nice pants, shirt, and sweater/informal jacket has been fine. Obviously a little different for a woman, but I think that many workplaces don't expect that now. These have been for IT and education-oriented freelance jobs.

My computer geek always wears a suit and tie to interviews, even if he may end up wearing jeans and a polo for work.

:iagree:

It's okay to be overdressed for an interviews, it's never okay to be underdressed, so unless the specifically mention casual dress when setting up the interview, I vote for the suit and tie.

:iagree:

It's okay to be overdressed for an interviews, it's never okay to be underdressed, so unless the specifically mention casual dress when setting up the interview, I vote for the suit and tie.

:iagree:Dh is a computer geek.... at the office, it's dockers & polos/sweaters. He would still wear a suit unless told otherwise (unsolicited).

Depends on the culture of the company and location. There are companies here where wearing a suit would perhaps get you crossed off the list. My BIL works in tech and when he interviews people he likes to see someone projecting a professional and fun appearance- because while it is about the skills, it is also a lot of working together and if someone seems like they would not mesh with the work culture, there are plenty of other people with the tech skills needed. There, it is not uncommon to see people in blazers with t-shirts and hipster slacks get the job. Would that be preferred in a more conservative area? No.

A good way to get a feel for a company is to ask around. Someone you know knows someone who works there. It is all a matter of figuring out who. In the absence of that, check their marketing and promotional materials. Consider what they do. Are they in HIPPA compliance for major healthcare providers or social media management software for young business owners? Do they sell online music? All of this is a hint.

When in doubt, a little more conservative is better than a litte more "out there".

My hubby is a computer geek. He works in just about every aspect of the field and is currently a consultant going back to college for his Master's in Computer Information Technology Security. He has been working at the the upper middle level for many years now. He always wears at least a shirt, tie and blazer to an interview and sometimes even a suit depending on the company, the level of people he will be meeting with, the level of the job, etc. For anything less formal than an interview or prefessional conference or presentation, he may wear slacks, a nice solid Tee or Polo or a shirt and tie and have a blazer available. The rule is: Always dress slightly better than the position you hope to hold but never better than the executives who are interviewing you. Easy peasy - right?