Menu

brunch, dinner at 2, what to feed them at 7?

What about sandwiches? (make your own, just lay out the stuff and they make their own)

I kind of follow that. I don't cook three meals on the weekends often times. So I always have sandwich stuff.

This is what we do. So much more relaxed.

~coffee~

Crackers and cheese is a good idea, but you have to add a bit for dinner. Serve some fruits with it that are easily eaten with the fingers . . .grapes, strawberries, and blueberries are our favorite. Also I add some pepperoni or salami and sometimes a hearty dip like 7-layer dip, hummus, or a hot spinach artichoke. You don't really get more prep-work, but it's more filling.

We usually do our big meal around 1:30 on Sundays. Because most weeks, for dinner on Sundays, I go out with a group of ladies from church. If the kids are home in the evening, they'll make sandwiches or eat leftovers. Dh has leftovers or a sandwich. If I'm home, like tonight, dh cooks. And if I'm home, we skip the big meal after church, and have something light then... today we had salads and bread.

Thanks, we had popcorn and frozen blueberries. There is almost no food in the house so it was an easy choice. I'm going to jot down the different ideas and make sure I have more things on hand next Sunday. I'm not sure how the fridge and cupboards ended up so empty :glare:

Ice cream. Our Sunday nights have had different incarnations. We went from BBQ sandwiches from the lunch roast tossed into the crockpot with BBQ sauce, to nachos under the broiler, to ice cream night. I think ice cream night is here to stay. We generally have fellowship dinners 2-3 Sundays per month, so the reality is we only eat ice cream for dinner 1-2 times maximum a month. Shh, don't tell the kids. It is easy and no one complains. You don't even have to try to make it healthy, just go with it. For healthy you could always do banana splits. Banana=fruit, nuts=protein, ice cream=dairy, cherry=more fruit. ;)

toast. quesedilla. smoothie.
As much as I love smoothies, I don't know that I'd serve them at night. They're so liquid that it causes people to have to get out of bed in the night, often more than once. :glare: :001_smile: I usually have those in the morning or for lunch.

We did this on Saturdays when I was growing up and we had lunch left overs, popcorn and fruit. If some were still hungry, they'd go fix themselves a sandwich or something.

Ice cream. Our Sunday nights have had different incarnations. We went from BBQ sandwiches from the lunch roast tossed into the crockpot with BBQ sauce, to nachos under the broiler, to ice cream night. I think ice cream night is here to stay. We generally have fellowship dinners 2-3 Sundays per month, so the reality is we only eat ice cream for dinner 1-2 times maximum a month. Shh, don't tell the kids. It is easy and no one complains. You don't even have to try to make it healthy, just go with it. For healthy you could always do banana splits. Banana=fruit, nuts=protein, ice cream=dairy, cherry=more fruit. ;)

:D Ice cream! May have to try that on one of the Sunday nights that I'm actually home!

Crackers and cheese is a good idea, but you have to add a bit for dinner. Serve some fruits with it that are easily eaten with the fingers . . .grapes, strawberries, and blueberries are our favorite. Also I add some pepperoni or salami and sometimes a hearty dip like 7-layer dip, hummus, or a hot spinach artichoke. You don't really get more prep-work, but it's more filling.

We did this a lot growing up (and still do) and my mother called it a "snibble platter." My kids adore snibble platters for dinner.

I believe the thought is to try to make Sunday night supper an easy meal.

I really don't know what I fed the kids on sunday nights back in the day, but now it's Popcorn, apples/in season fruit, cheese and a bottle of wine.

Skip the wine if you are feeding kids.

Popcorn and malts would be good. :)

Chix wings are easy enough to bake. Add in some fruit or cheese, etc.

Popcorn and scrambled eggs was a favorite in several of my friends homes when they were growing up.

In your case, I'd do soup and sandwiches. In our case, we have popcorn, cheese and apples and watch a movie. Sunday nights are family movie nights in our household. :)

That is what my next door neighbors do. They have popcorn and apples and watch a family movie! The mom explained it to me after her son told me they never eat dinner on Sundays. :D