Menu

It's THAT time of year again.....

Mommyfaithe

And the search continues:D

This year on my plate

1 High School dd

2 little boys, entering 3rd and 4th grade.

The Search:

Math for my boy people....we need math that comes on worksheets. 1 front and back per day, plus drills, plus hands on suggestions if we need them.

I don't like BJU or A Beka...other suggestions?

Science for the boys....preferably something fun, not literature based ( we get enough lit in our other studies and include scientist bios and lit reads in our Hx sequence. ). I need easily put together, supplies included, and experiments that WORK. Oh, I need a schedule. :D

I am switching the boys over to Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling. My reasons are so shallow....I want them to have separate books and worksheets for each subject. I LOVE CLE, and it has revitalized my homeschool when I was totally burnt, but we are bored....:tongue_smilie:. We need a break and a change of pace, so......GwG and SwS look comparable grade wise to where we are, and it is a bit of a different format. Looks good!

I am researching, researching and RE SEARCHING!!!! This is my yearly quest.

What are YOU searching down?

Arrrrgh. I have NO idea what we're doing next fall.

:svengo: I'm tired and I don't even feel like planning.

GWG is really good, BTW. We used that one year. It's a good program.

For science, we're using RS4K with some lab kits and this has got to be the best semester of science, yet! I might use this again next fall.

Math Mammoth comes in worksheets and it's very solid. My 10 yro uses MM. Also, my son is using MEP and that's also worksheets, but there is more teacher interaction with that one. MM is more independent (the teaching is in the worksheets).

Good luck with your planning! If you buy used curriculum (I do sometimes), now is a good time for us to gather up the money and start watching ebay, etc.

Math Mammoth for math.

Real-Science-4-Kids for Science.

I'm not sure if Math Mammoth is front and back for each day since I don't use it, but it sounds like what you are looking for.

RS4K has a textbook that you read from, but it's not a bunch of books like Sonlight's Science or something similar.

I'm not sure if Math Mammoth is front and back for each day since I don't use it, but it sounds like what you are looking for.

You can set it on your print settings to print front and back. We do that to save paper. Actually, it happened on accident one day and we were all, "Yeah!!!!! Good idea!" :hurray:

Math Mammoth for math.

Real-Science-4-Kids for Science.

RS4K has a textbook that you read from, but it's not a bunch of books like Sonlight's Science or something similar.

I can't seem to get the MM samples to open....either on iPad, or my laptop. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Faithe

Horizons math has all of those things, too. The lessons are predictable in length, the teacher's guide tells what to teach when, there's daily drill (flashcards, etc), and extra suggestions as needed. We've been using Horizons. That said, I intend to switch us to Math Mammoth. We supplemented with a booklet recently and it was great!

Noeo Science has books to read, but it's not excessive. Everything you need for the experiments is included in the kit. It wasn't working for us, but my SIL likes it. Maybe it would work for you.

Next year I'll have 1st and 3rd grade. I need to decide on language arts for both. We've been using Phonics Road, but I think it's time for a change for DD (the 3rd grader). I've decided to drop it for the remainder of the year. I might use PR1 to get DS started, though. The rule tunes have been great.

We'll continue on with SOTW. We've just dropped Noeo Physics I and started learning about the human body instead. I guess we'll just do that till we're done! I'm thinking we might learn about birds next. Or rocks, cause DD wants to be a geologist. That might be our plan for next year. Birds and rocks. :D

As mentioned, I'm switching us over to MM. Right now I'm waiting to see if the HSBC deal works out.

Math: CLE for the littles. Way better than their Language Arts

Older Math: I have no idea

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - You can buy a kit from Home Science Tools. No schedule, but it is a do the next thing type program.

Older Science: My daughter is using Exploration Education and is loving it.

CLE Math drives my little guy completely batty. It is JUST>TOO>MUCH.....

I will check out REAL Science and also educationexploration....thanks!:D

I think I am finished researching for school subjects, but I still trying to figure out the extras for a rising fourth grader. We already do Kumon math, art class, and drama class. We want continue with these. Ds wants to do 4-H shooting sports. We plan to prepare for the National Mythology Exam, but we haven't decided yet if we will take it.

Ds takes violin lessons, but we are trying to decide if next year we want to continue where we are or join the reading orchestra that feeds into the junior orchestra. If ds goes the orchestra route, will there be time to begin mandolin lessons, too. He definitely wants to participate in Math Olympiad, but it doesn't look like there is an existing group in our area. This summer we plan to join another family and play with Lego mind storms. If the boys like it, then we will need to decide if we want to form a team for FLL.

There is just too much to do!

Decisions, decisions!

Mandy

Maybe Saxon for the math? It has all of your requirements met. :)

Saxon uses a hardbound textbook once you get to 5/4...which is where ds would start. My older kids get a twitch and a shudder when anyone mentions Saxon math. It made math haters out of my older kids. I would rather not so that to my younger ones.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I know some families love Saxon, it just doesn't work for my kiddoes...

Come to think of it, most math programs don't work for my kids:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

I'm searching and searching too.

My 15 yo needs to take chemistry. I am burned out on Aplologia anything, but especially the Chemistry- it sucks all the joy. 17 yo is finishing it up right now... Ughh. I swore I'd never teach it again after my oldest so my 17 yo has been doing it at a tutorial. It sucks joy out of my house even from a distance- and she's making an A. Must find an alternative!

Also looking at BSFU to use with younger set.

I decided on MEP 1 for my rising 1 st grader, except that he and his 4 yo brother wanted to do it when they saw me come home from the printer with it. We've been doing it all week- they love it.

I'm planning on adding Miquoin to my 10 yo's Saxon.

I need to find a new atlas. 10 yo couldn't find Slovakia in ours... I thought he was being lazy, whoops.

I'm looking at Creek's Edge Art History for my 12 yo artsy daughter...

Researching Greek language programs for my 10 yo who's been begging to learn Greek.

I'd really like to buy an extra day in the week, but even Amazon doesn't seem to carry them.

Another vote for MM. You can easily print it front and back and it gives hands on suggestions if you need them.

I'm no help for science. I'm still working on that, too. At this point I'm thinking a human body study using The Body Book, Blood and Guts, Ellen McHenry's The Brain and Dr. Dave's Digestive System units. Ask me in 2 weeks and I may have changed my mind (again), though.

Also, still trying to pin down what to do for Spanish and Latin. I may have to drop Spanish if I can't find something good to follow GSWS. We've already done 2 levels of La Clase Divertida. I was originally thinking of doing I Speak Latin, with perhaps using Minimus as a supplement. Now I'm considering Lively Latin but wonder if it will be too much history since we already have two history strands going (world and British). AGGGHHH! :willy_nilly:

Math: I was going to suggest CLE but divide each lesson into 2... However, I see CLE makes your son bonkers so that is a no go. I don't know what Miquon, MM, or Singapore look like but I know they are workbook (since workbook is the only thing that my DS will tolerate when it comes to math).

Science: We've enjoyed Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry Level 1. Actually I've been doing pre-level and level one simultaneously this year because my kids are kindergarten and 4th grade levels. The text is easy to follow and not very reader intensive. Actually I just read over it with the kids. The experiments are well-laid out and use simple to find materials (many of which I just have laying around the house like food coloring, mineral water, cabbage, and so on). When I don't have the supplies, they are easily included on a grocery list. And we've never had an experiment not work. I've heard that the physics and biology books aren't as good though.

I am looking for a Spanish curriculum for my 10 yo and maybe, grammar and spelling programs for my 6 yo, and possibly a supplement for LLATL.

I have spent SO much time over the last month researching and planning and it's all coming together. Well, everything except ART... lol! And yes I'm stressing over it :tongue_smilie: I love the looks of atelier art but I need 2-3 different levels and it's just a lot of money. But... I need SOMETHING! I just want them to do some artist studies and I want them to start learning various art techniques. I am clueless when it comes to proper techniques. I can follow a book, I can read it to them... but I still have no clue. LOL! Which is why I think this program would be perfect. But... what if we don't like it and I've spent all that money :glare:

Math: CLE for the littles. Way better than their Language Arts

Older Math: I have no idea

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey - You can buy a kit from Home Science Tools. No schedule, but it is a do the next thing type program.

Older Science: My daughter is using Exploration Education and is loving it.

RSO looks GREAT!! I'm between that one and Real Science 4 kids. I forgot I don't have science figured out.

Sorry, I have no help to offer. Science is a perpetual problem. Hunting for something we would like and then actually doing it. ugh.

My biggest search is for a co-op that meets our needs across all the ages I have, and of course that's a local problem. I don't think my normal habit of researching curriculum is going to solve this one for me, LOL.

I have spent the last two days reading so much about writing that I've given myself a headache. :glare: I feel your pain.

I still go with CLE as our base for math with my littles and then supplement based on the child.

We do so much with literature for science that this last year we just added in Aha Science (it's cheap and my DD's like it) and then some basic lab kits so I don't have to go hunting. Exploration Education looks good to and is on my list for possibilities in coming years.

Another vote for MM. I really like that it has hands on suggestions and workbook pages. We use BSFU, but my second choices would be RSO or Elemental Science since those are both do the next thing type programs.

I'm looking for more Spanish curriculum options for native speakers. R&S is very helpful, but it is mostly a reading program with a little bit of spelling, writing and grammar. Reading would be the easiest for me to do on my own!

We really don't like MM here. I can't really put my finger on why. Have you seen MCP Mathematics? It's pretty inexpensive. It has lovely workbooks with pictures but no color. My DS does a page front/back everyday. The TM has mental math drills, enrichment suggestions, skill review, extra credit stuff, and how to correct common errors. Good luck on your search.

The Search:

Math for my boy people....we need math that comes on worksheets. 1 front and back per day, plus drills, plus hands on suggestions if we need them.

Saxon - the worksheets have two sides, the questions on each being a variation of the same concept. It also includes drills that you can do timed or not as you wish. And the TM is totally scripted so I find I have more than enough ideas for teaching. I don't use all of it by any means!

ETA: Sorry - I just saw your post on page 2 - obviously Saxon isn't for you. I have to say though, that Saxon K-3 is good as a stand-alone and you don't have to carry on to the middle school programs. They are structured quite differently.

One school of thought says that provided you get the math facts down pat - basic additions, subtractions, the multiplication tables and divisions - you don't actually need an elementary math program. The K-3 Saxon programs do have math fact cards, but I guess you could get them from all sorts of places, or make your own; that and a math manipulatives box would probably go a long way to doing what you need up to and including 3rd grade.

Science for the boys....preferably something fun, not literature based ( we get enough lit in our other studies and include scientist bios and lit reads in our Hx sequence. ). I need easily put together, supplies included, and experiments that WORK. Oh, I need a schedule. :D

Have you looked at RSO Science? (Real Science Odyssey) I haven't used it myself, but MeganP uses it with hers and when I saw it at her house it looked pretty good. I would have bought it if it weren't for the fact that I'm happy with Apologia.

Good luck!

~

What are YOU searching down?

A hand-holding spelling/phonics program that uses Spalding's method - see my thread on this board! Any good ideas gratefully received...

Edited by Hedgehog

I have spent SO much time over the last month researching and planning and it's all coming together. Well, everything except ART... lol! And yes I'm stressing over it :tongue_smilie: I love the looks of atelier art but I need 2-3 different levels and it's just a lot of money. But... I need SOMETHING! I just want them to do some artist studies and I want them to start learning various art techniques. I am clueless when it comes to proper techniques. I can follow a book, I can read it to them... but I still have no clue. LOL! Which is why I think this program would be perfect. But... what if we don't like it and I've spent all that money :glare:

Not inexpensive, but maybe cheaper than 3 levels of Atelier:

Calvert Discoveries in Art

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/why-calvert/homeschool-enrichments/discoveries-in-art

I think Calvert's Enrichment courses are very well done - we've used Discoveries in Early Reading and Discoveries in Music. (I have not heard good things about Discoveries in Science, btw.)

We signed up for BJU 3rd grade science when the discount was available before Christmas. Mrs. Vick is the teacher for 3rd grade and is AWESOME! You could have the boys watch it together and each have their own activity manual to complete. You watch her do some activities, and there are suggested activities you could do when you want.

I don't plan on using 4th grade online because I'm not sure I'll like the teacher as much as Mrs. Vick; however, she is the teacher for all of middle school, so I plan to use it then. I'll probably just do BJU's 4th and 5th grade books on my own so that he's following their scope and sequence.

How about Horizons Math? They're Pre-Algebra looks very good, so much so that I've thought of changing over to it. Ds really likes BJU math, though. You said you don't like BJU, but have you tried the newer editions or the older ones?

I just realized there are TWO REAL SCIENCES!!!!! R.E.A.L. Science for Kids and REAL Science Odyssey?? GAH!!!! My head doth spin!

Oh, shiny, pretty curriculum...:auto:

I am settled - SETTLED, I tell you - on Memoria Press packages. I just need to add in a good hands-on science, SOTW (we can't stop in the middle!), and the rest of amblesideonline (can't stop in the middle...again...)...and piano really needs more focus this year...

I realize that I'm completely irrational. It's OK. I'll get over it...carry on...I'm :bigear: and commiserating with the head-spinning.

I am completely NOT pleased with math available for the 4th-6th grade ranges, btw. I don't have time to go rogue with math this year either.:blink: (Maybe it would help if I didn't try to do 2 complete programs and THEN add to them...maybe:lol:)

OK -so we must choose from available options...that narrows it down to ripping apart Singapore books and filing and spiraling and sucking my time anyway.

Let's go drool at the Memoria Press website. It's more fun.:001_smile:

Horizons math would fit your description. First, you teach your child the lesson from the TM which includes daily drill work and/or speed tests. Then the child does the worksheets which are one page (front and back) and colorful. Dh and I think it is a great program. However, It seems to me that mathy type of parents tend to like teaching this program a lot more than non-mathy parents, so so you may want to consider this.

I'm on the search too and putting a list together. I think for 3rd we'll be using:

Teaching Textbooks 3 (but I'm trying to decide if I want to keep using Math in Focus textbook/workbook along with it :confused: ). Plus reading LOF books.

We will go on to History Odyssey Middle Ages along with Medieval History Portfolio Jr.

Atelier art and How to Teach Art to Children (I forgot I had gotten that book at a garage sale last summer!).

A U.S. study of each state.

Dd wants to learn a little French so I'm thinking of Power-Glide Elementary French.

We've been using Growing with Grammar but I might want something in addition to that. I'm not sure if it will be MCT or Shurley for 3rd.

Winning with Writing.

Either Soaring with Spelling or All About Spelling or both, who knows? Well, wait a minute....I have both so I guess it will be both. :001_smile:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life w/ the kit from Home Science Tools.

We'll probably finish up with TouchPhonics and her ETC books.

She'll continue with NAC.

A geography book?? Not sure....unless we just concentrate on the U.S. stuff I got.

I haven't finished figuring out what ds will use. But, that stuff isn't as fun to talk about as the 3rd grade stuff anyway. :001_smile:

Math Mammoth for math.

RS4K for science. It doesn't come with an experiment kit, but it has a list at the beginning of everything you need, and I got it all in a 40-minute trip to Target one afternoon. I stored it all in a Sterilite tub.

As far as grammar, I'd say this: If CLE is working for you, don't switch ... especially not to GWG. Ds wasn't doing well with FLL3, so I switched him to GWG. I very quickly realized that GWG does not teach concepts well; it DOES teach kids how to recognize the pattern in the practice sentences so they can mechanically fill in the answers. I think this is why so many people complain that their kids had "zero retention" with GWG. They never learned the concepts in the first place.

Tara

I am still searching for language programs for both my 12 and 9 year old. I have used in the past, and am currently using GWG and it's ok. The concepts didn't really stick with my now 11 year old when he used it in 3rd grade. So I'm looking at Easy Grammar, A Journey Through Grammar Land, and FLL for ds 9. Killgallon for ds 11, although I'm not sure how complete Killgallon is or which book to order.

WWS for ds 11 and possibly Writing Tales or WWE for ds 9. I'm still struggling with how I want the information taught.:confused:

Wait for me, I'm coming too!! :D I love their website.

I am on multiple quests for next year, and my head hurts. I'm having to take breaks. Especially since I'm still trying to figure out a few things for the rest of THIS year!! :lol:

I am settled - SETTLED, I tell you - on Memoria Press packages. I just need to add in a good hands-on science, SOTW (we can't stop in the middle!), and the rest of amblesideonline (can't stop in the middle...again...)...and piano really needs more focus this year...

I realize that I'm completely irrational. It's OK. I'll get over it...carry on...I'm :bigear: and commiserating with the head-spinning.

I am completely NOT pleased with math available for the 4th-6th grade ranges, btw. I don't have time to go rogue with math this year either.:blink: (Maybe it would help if I didn't try to do 2 complete programs and THEN add to them...maybe:lol:)

OK -so we must choose from available options...that narrows it down to ripping apart Singapore books and filing and spiraling and sucking my time anyway.

Oh yeah!! I love drooling at the Memoria Press site....hmmmmmmmmm.....

Tearing Part and filing sounds fun too:D

Math Mammoth for math.

RS4K for science. It doesn't come with an experiment kit, but it has a list at the beginning of everything you need, and I got it all in a 40-minute trip to Target one afternoon. I stored it all in a Sterilite tub.

As far as grammar, I'd say this: If CLE is working for you, don't switch ... especially not to GWG. Ds wasn't doing well with FLL3, so I switched him to GWG. I very quickly realized that GWG does not teach concepts well; it DOES teach kids how to recognize the pattern in the practice sentences so they can mechanically fill in the answers. I think this is why so many people complain that their kids had "zero retention" with GWG. They never learned the concepts in the first place.

Tara

Thanks for the warning! And the advice. I think I just need pretty, new and shiny. Maybe a year of R & S to for a change:D

Another vote for Math Mammoth. If you don't like messing with individual pages, you can just comb-bind them into workbooks. (I actually prefer to print them one-sided, though, and let DD use the back of the previous page as scratch paper for the work on the current page.) I also bind the TOC into the front of the workbook, so I can date each lesson as it's completed, along with a quick note if DD struggled or needs more work or whatever.

Did you download the 300-page package and you're having trouble opening that (I think it's a zip file)? You can also download samples for each book individually (e.g. go here to download samples for 4th grade)

BTW, MM is currently on sale through HSBC, here

Inquiry in Action is a free, downloadable, elementary-level Physical Science/Chemistry program that's experiment-based (i.e. fun!), designed by the American Chemical Society. It uses simple household materials (no equipment to buy) and it includes all necessary worksheets, lab reports, etc. There is even a "Chemistry Review" section with background info for parents/teachers who need to brush on on chemistry.

Jackie

Math Mammoth for math.

Tara

Thanks for the heads up. I think we will be using FLL with WWE next year. I also think I will have the kids do Sequential Spelling or EMC Building Spelling Skills...since I already have them.

I need a cursive program for littlest ds.....he hates cursive:glare: lol. Tough nuggies.

GAH!!!! Too much to think about. Can't we just look at pretty pictures, and read lovely books, and play in the garden??