Menu

BEWARE of Seller!!!!!!!!!!

mschefmakr

I just wanted everyone to know that overall I am very happy with all the purchases I have made from members on this board with the exception of one. I purchased books from her and paid through personal paypal because she requested it saying it would save her fees. Since this time, she has refused to answer my emails, messages, and posts on the board even though I have seen her on here many times over the past few weeks. I am not the first that she has done this too and I have recently discovered there are more in the same boat I am in. This seller had 15 positive feedbacks although the most recent was Jan 2011. Please be careful not to pay with personal paypal even if seller asks you to and please leave negative feedback on the board if you do not receive your things after paying so that others will not become victims also. Thanks!

If the seller doesn't want to include fees in the price, you can always add the fees into your payment by going to ppcalc.com and typing in the amount you want the seller to receive.

If a seller insists on Personal Paypal she is already cheating paypal out of a very minor fee and going against their written policy. So that tells you all you need to know about the sellers integrity.

I just wanted everyone to know that overall I am very happy with all the purchases I have made from members on this board with the exception of one. I purchased books from her and paid through personal paypal because she requested it saying it would save her fees. Since this time, she has refused to answer my emails, messages, and posts on the board even though I have seen her on here many times over the past few weeks. I am not the first that she has done this too and I have recently discovered there are more in the same boat I am in. This seller had 15 positive feedbacks although the most recent was Jan 2011. Please be careful not to pay with personal paypal even if seller asks you to and please leave negative feedback on the board if you do not receive your things after paying so that others will not become victims also. Thanks!

When deciding to buy from a seller I check their feedback, how will others know your transaction went wrong if you didn't leave the person in question feedback? (yes I got curious who it was and went looking, you haven't left any FB for others)

I'm sorry this happened to you. I had this happen once too, when the whole change over to Personal/Purchase paypal started.

I luckily got my money refunded but it took the seller about 4.5 months to resurface and do the right thing.

Please PLEASE, leave negative feedback so that others will know to beware. If you don't this post isn't going to anyone much good since we would have no idea who you are talking about.

Please PLEASE, leave negative feedback so that others will know to beware. If you don't this post isn't going to anyone much good since we would have no idea who you are talking about.

:iagree: I always check feedback before purchasing from someone. I haven't had a problem yet, but seeing a negative would definitely dissuade me from purchasing from someone.

If a seller insists on Personal Paypal she is already cheating paypal out of a very minor fee and going against their written policy. So that tells you all you need to know about the sellers integrity.

I don't agree with this. Many people just don't know about it and ignorantly ask for personal payment just because it would save them money, possibly on a low-cost item in the first place. I didn't know someone would be "cheating" Paypal by asking for a personal payment.

That being said, evidently this is an easy way for hacks to get money from people, though. :glare:

I don't agree with this. Many people just don't know about it and ignorantly ask for personal payment just because it would save them money, possibly on a low-cost item in the first place. I didn't know someone would be "cheating" Paypal by asking for a personal payment.

That being said, evidently this is an easy way for hacks to get money from people, though. :glare:

This doesn't make any sense to me. There is a goods button and there is a personal button to send money to friends and family. One charges a fee and one does not. People know they are buying and selling goods. If you choose personal when it is not then you are stealing from Paypal, not sure how any of that could be confusing. Being a thief or lacking integrity doesn't go away just because they are a big company, and it isn't that much money.

When deciding to buy from a seller I check their feedback, how will others know your transaction went wrong if you didn't leave the person in question feedback? (yes I got curious who it was and went looking, you haven't left any FB for others)

How can you tell whether someone has left feedback for someone else? I only see a place for feedback received, not feedback left. Thanks.

How can you tell whether someone has left feedback for someone else? I only see a place for feedback received, not feedback left. Thanks.

If you look at their feedback page there are little tabs so you can see "all" " from buyer" "From seller" "From Trades" "left for others"

This doesn't make any sense to me. There is a goods button and there is a personal button to send money to friends and family. One charges a fee and one does not. People know they are buying and selling goods. If you choose personal when it is not then you are stealing from Paypal, not sure how any of that could be confusing. Being a thief or lacking integrity doesn't go away just because they are a big company, and it isn't that much money.

Let me begin by saying that I do NOT ask for personal payments. Buuuuttt....does anyone else remember awhile back when someone posted here that it was allowed by paypal for us to do this? The person contacted paypal to ask about homeschool transactions like this and they said it was ok. I don't know if that's true at all (if paypal really did say that), but I do remember that someone had posted this. So, if others are under the impression that this is ok with paypal...then other people may be looking at them as a thief for asking for a personal payment? Yikes.

ETA: OK....I found a link where this was discussed. But, it looks like the info paypal gave that person has changed. But...possibly not everyone knows this. Bottom line: don't ask for personal payments and don't send personal payments (unless it truly is a gift).

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Let me begin by saying that I do NOT ask for personal payments. Buuuuttt....does anyone else remember awhile back when someone posted here that it was allowed by paypal for us to do this? The person contacted paypal to ask about homeschool transactions like this and they said it was ok. I don't know if that's true at all (if paypal really did say that), but I do remember that someone had posted this. So, if others are under the impression that this is ok with paypal...then other people may be looking at them as a thief for asking for a personal payment? Yikes.

I think it's kind of harsh to assume someone is a thief because they ask for personal paypal. I was under the impression there was nothing wrong with it.

I think it's kind of harsh to assume someone is a thief because they ask for personal paypal. I was under the impression there was nothing wrong with it.

I'm a little unclear if you are saying that I said people are a thief. I was quoting a previous poster who made that comment.

If someone did contact paypal---it's highly possible paypal could think that people are sending personal items since we're members of a forum? But in reality we don't know each other and are buying/selling used materials.

Either way---without sounding offensive---the truth is that although I'm sure you're all very lovely ladies, I don't know any of you. Anyone at all can join this forum...anyone at all can *say* they have xyz book for sell...anyone with a checking account can have a paypal account...anyone can send anyone with an email/paypal account money. Soooo---it makes common sense to only buy/sell things as goods, because if the op had done that and didn't receive her purchase, she would have been able to file a claim with paypal. The only protection paypal can offer you is if they have a system in place knowing you bought something and were not simply sending someone a monetary gift.

I have to take it on faith that a seller isn't going to just take my 12 bucks and that's that, or (and I've had this happen) the post isn't going to lose/misplace the package (which is why sellers really should send delivery confirmation tracking info to the buyer), or (and I've had this happen too) the seller ships to the wrong zipcode...so many variables. Some of them paypal can help with.

It protects the seller as well. I've had it happen that a buyer (diapers---different forum) messaged me that she never received a package. I could see from my delivery confirmation that it had in fact been delivered. Either she was lying or needed to contact her post office. Either way the tracking info was there, plain to see and I never heard from the buyer again.

If we're going to be trading/buying/selling/free for shipping whatever online, then we need to cough up an extra buck or two to make sure it happens fairly.

We want to believe all people are honest. But the very faceless nature of computers make it all too easy for people to misrepresent themselves and take advantage of others.

I was scammed by this same person. I left negative feedback today after not having a response to my emails and pm's.

I had no problems before using personal paypal. I actually DO pay fees when I use it. The seller does not, but the buyer does, when using a credit card. I'm going to contact my credit card and see if they can do something. I had no idea that personal paypal was not protected.

this person has almost 500 posts and has good feedback. If there would have been negative feedback I wouldn't have bought from her.

if there is a problem, please leave the feedback so we can all know about it. I have bought many items over the past 5 years (diaperswappers) on forums such as this and this is the first time I've had a problem.

Yes...I think the word "thief" and questioning the sellers integrity is a bit...well...no, it is WRONG. I have asked for personal paypal, then I changed it to "unless you are not comfortable then please add such and such to help cover fee", ONLY because I know paypal doesn't "cover" personal paypal as far as insuring it or whatever...then I decided to just figure the fees in because the personal paypal thing is to uncomfortable for some. I was doing this because I had read several posts where people had contacted paypal and said that if we were buying and selling homeschool books it would be ok to use personal paypal payment. So...not trying to be a thief or a cheat or whatever the one poster said...

Be careful when you start lumping everyone into one category when you absolutely obviously have not a clue about the people you are accusing of being theifs.

Now..I normally don't make waves on here but I have not been feeling well and this just struck me wrong, real wrong but..I do not have a lot of tolerance right now for people harping on something w/out knowledge of what they are talking about, without any knowledge whatsoever of the people they are accusing.

If paypal has since said it is wrong to ask for Personal Paypal then I, personally would NOT ask for it again. But...in dealing with paypal previously, when you can actually get someone on the phone, I have been given different answers to the same questions, depending on whom I have talked to.

So..I am guessing if it is indeed wrong to ask for personal paypal payments for homeschool books, I do not believe it was started deceitfully at all OR with the intention to somehow steal from paypal, give me a break.

Discuss the paypal policies, call them again and then correct any mistakes made for whatever reason...if people still choose to ask for personal paypal payments, maybe that don't understand or read the same posts I did.

I never saw the post that was linked in this discussion until just now or I would have checked into it myself, not so I can accuse anyone else, just so I know the right way to handle my payments.

Just for anyone who is not clear on PP rules regarding personal vs purchase:

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

Quote from this portion of the user agreement.

I was scammed by someone (not from here) and when I called PayPal, they said payment for ANY purchase for good must be sent as such in order to be protected under their buyer protection policy. You can send payment as a gift, but you would not be eligible to file a dispute.

If money is changing hands for a product then it isn't personal, it is business. I think lines can get blurred on anything and you may get different answers, but in reality it is not a personal exchange unless you are only paying for shipping and not for a product. If someone is making money from a sell, then it is not personal money. Personal money is meant for money transfers that do not involve the buying or selling of items. It is meant for money between friends and families. It isn't meant for money being exchanged for a product.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/fees

This is what it says about selling and it costs fees for the seller not the buyer-

Get paid for what you sell on eBay, on your own website, or in online classifieds and forums.

• Setup is simple
  • Getting paid online is affordable—our rates are competitive
  • In minutes you’ll be up and running, able to accept payments—including credit cards.

With descriptions such as that, I don't think they are encouraging homeschoolers to use personal paypal without any insurance or backing for items from complete strangers.

But doesn't everyone know the definition of "goods"? I think, and I could be wrong, that everyone knows that books are goods. If you know you are buying and selling goods and then ask for personal you know that you are avoiding paying Paypal what they are owed and what you agree to by using Paypal. There can be no other definition for that except stealing.

Using the word thief is harsh, but maybe people need to realize that is what they are doing. To see that when calling Paypal a person gives them a different answer, or another poster said "abc", so it must be okay is just bizarre to me. In the previous links the biggest worry was that the buyer might get scammed, not whether it was stealing.

I think of my 7th grader the other day who plagiarized word for word half of his paper last week. He was certainly okay with it, but I had no qualms about explaining that plagiarizing is cheating and stealing another person's words. That it made him dishonest, and was stealing another person's words. I want him to have integrity, and that is being honest even when no one is looking or seems to care.

Edited by In2why

I have had to deal with this many times in the past couple of weeks. Sure, there are honest people on here who had *no idea* about the issues about personal paypal. BUT, we have been keeping that thread bumped up and I have sacrificed tact to make comment about it on a few other threads in the FS forum. I also had one extremely suspicious and rude seller refuse to sell to me and tell me they would rather sell to someone else because I wouldn't pay personal and then because I mentioned the paypal terms of service that:

*asking a buyer to pay extra for using paypal (to cover fees) is actually against policy

*having a buyer pay for insurance is against policy. It is in fact the seller's responsibility.

*using paypal as personal for selling online is against the terms of service. I ask my buyers to pay me via goods because I can print off shipping that way, AND it protects both of us.

I actually had been looking for a way to report this seller to a mod or something because of the very rude message I got about this very thing. I don't mind paying fees as a buyer or seller, but refusing (in a rude manner, I have had some nice ladies who worked with me) to sell to someone trying to stay within the bounds of a law is very suspicious.

OP, can you pm me the seller's name so I can see if it's the same seller I had issues with?

I always pay as goods. I assume if something is marked ppd then the seller has included fees and shipping in their asking price. its the only way to have PP protection

I agree and I wish everyone would. I dislike asking for a ppd price and then getting, "if you add xx to cover fees." The fees are truly minute unless you have a large transaction. I have actually refused to purchase something after I was told a certain price and then the "add fee" was tacked on.

I was scammed by this same person. I left negative feedback today after not having a response to my emails and pm's.

Thanks for doing this. :)

<snip>seller refuse to sell to me and tell me they would rather sell to someone else because I wouldn't pay personal and then because I mentioned the paypal terms of service that:

*asking a buyer to pay extra for using paypal (to cover fees) is actually against policy

*having a buyer pay for insurance is against policy. It is in fact the seller's responsibility.

*using paypal as personal for selling online is against the terms of service. I ask my buyers to pay me via goods because I can print off shipping that way, AND it protects both of us.

I have also had someone be rude to me because I refused to pay personal. I *wish* that everyone would just use non-personal and then these issues would not arise.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I guess it is my many years working as a legal assistant for a defense attorney. I can not even begin to count how many times I have had to explain that ignorance of the law is not a legitimate defense. Or how many times I have encountered the craziest excuses, but I am not the Paypal police. So if people are comfortable, then it shouldn't bother me.

Ok...this may be totally naive...but I want to give people the benefit of the doubt. OP, I sure hope that it is just some misunderstanding. I saw the thread where the sale was taking place and at one point the seller was responding to someone else that posted on the thread, and then she hasn't been on the board for 8 days according to her stats. Just wondering if it's possible that she has some kind of emergency that has pulled her away - or if she got the awful flu bug that's been going around possibly? I agree, it is still her responsibility to maintain contact with her buyers...but I just want to give her every possible chance to redeem herself. Her profile shows positive feedback and quick response in the past. Maybe she put it in the mail and it's on the way, but has not been communicating? Again, TOTALLY her fault for not following up...but maybe we could extend a little grace until we know for SURE what is going on with her?

Ok...this may be totally naive...but I want to give people the benefit of the doubt. OP, I sure hope that it is just some misunderstanding. I saw the thread where the sale was taking place and at one point the seller was responding to someone else that posted on the thread, and then she hasn't been on the board for 8 days according to her stats. Just wondering if it's possible that she has some kind of emergency that has pulled her away - or if she got the awful flu bug that's been going around possibly? I agree, it is still her responsibility to maintain contact with her buyers...but I just want to give her every possible chance to redeem herself. Her profile shows positive feedback and quick response in the past. Maybe she put it in the mail and it's on the way, but has not been communicating? Again, TOTALLY her fault for not following up...but maybe we could extend a little grace until we know for SURE what is going on with her?

since she has been on here since and ignored messages, well then, that tells you something. I've given her the benefit of the doubt for nearly three weeks. In all my years of buying, I've never had a seller at least give me a heads up if things are delayed.

Well....I am not a legal assistant for a defense attorney but I still think this whole thing is a bit harsh, if it is wrong then we get the word out it is wrong. I would never have refused to sell to someone using personal paypal and perhaps I should have checked paypals policies myself, instead of assuming that it was ok to use Personal paypal. You can bet I won't anymore...however, I don't always read all posts about things and I never saw this one linked here about paypal policies.

Yes..it is my responsibilty to know paypals policies, no doubt... but really? I am truly sorry if anyone was scammed because I have been scammed before, not from this board, and it is infurating, it was before I ever used paypal and I sent a lot of money orders for homeschool stuff. So..I personally am very, very, thankful for paypal as it has given me a bit of a sense of security and I never would have knowingly ignored policies. So...you can say that ignorance is not excuse, I understand that but I still think that people reading posts about people who had talked to paypal and paypal said "it is okay to do this or that" and you read it from several places....well....if you want to call these people thieves then that is your perogative and perhaps legally you are correct, I really don't care...I still think it is over the top.

Get the word out, if people still use PP, politely tell them what you have learned, if they still insist, report them, don't buy from them, and MOVE ON!! My guess is...most people on this board, after reading everything, will no longer insist on pp or use it, in realizing it goes against paypal policy.

If you were scammed, leave negative feedback, don't start attacking everyone who has asked for personal paypal, yes, books are goods? I guess...I didn't even think about it, maybe I should have, I don't know. To me...it was selling my personal items, I often don't "make" much because I buy used and sell used, most times I lose money because I buy a lot new because I live where I don't get to go "look at everything", then sell it for a loss when I realize I am not going to use it. I surely was not thinking....I am clicking personal and it isn't so I am cheating paypal, that never crossed my mind. Wow..this really baffles me a bit.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I guess it is my many years working as a legal assistant for a defense attorney. I can not even begin to count how many times I have had to explain that ignorance of the law is not a legitimate defense. Or how many times I have encountered the craziest excuses, but I am not the Paypal police. So if people are comfortable, then it shouldn't bother me.

If we're going to be trading/buying/selling/free for shipping whatever online, then we need to cough up an extra buck or two to make sure it happens fairly.

/QUOTE]

I do agree with the rest of what you wrote.. but wanted to make the point that a lot of sellers price their items so that "an extra buck or two" would put the price beyond what you would pay for the same item (brand new, no risk) at Amazon.

I went over and checked her feedback and she has nothing but great feedback until now. I wonder what happened. I do agree with the op though, if she has been on the forum and signed in a few times, it is a shame that she is not responding. Sorry you got burned!! =(

Well....I am not a legal assistant for a defense attorney but I still think this whole thing is a bit harsh, if it is wrong then we get the word out it is wrong. I would never have refused to sell to someone using personal paypal and perhaps I should have checked paypals policies myself, instead of assuming that it was ok to use Personal paypal. You can bet I won't anymore...however, I don't always read all posts about things and I never saw this one linked here about paypal policies.

Yes..it is my responsibilty to know paypals policies, no doubt... but really? I am truly sorry if anyone was scammed because I have been scammed before, not from this board, and it is infurating, it was before I ever used paypal and I sent a lot of money orders for homeschool stuff. So..I personally am very, very, thankful for paypal as it has given me a bit of a sense of security and I never would have knowingly ignored policies. So...you can say that ignorance is not excuse, I understand that but I still think that people reading posts about people who had talked to paypal and paypal said "it is okay to do this or that" and you read it from several places....well....if you want to call these people thieves then that is your perogative and perhaps legally you are correct, I really don't care...I still think it is over the top.

Get the word out, if people still use PP, politely tell them what you have learned, if they still insist, report them, don't buy from them, and MOVE ON!! My guess is...most people on this board, after reading everything, will no longer insist on pp or use it, in realizing it goes against paypal policy.

If you were scammed, leave negative feedback, don't start attacking everyone who has asked for personal paypal, yes, books are goods? I guess...I didn't even think about it, maybe I should have, I don't know. To me...it was selling my personal items, I often don't "make" much because I buy used and sell used, most times I lose money because I buy a lot new because I live where I don't get to go "look at everything", then sell it for a loss when I realize I am not going to use it. I surely was not thinking....I am clicking personal and it isn't so I am cheating paypal, that never crossed my mind. Wow..this really baffles me a bit.

:iagree: This is where I was coming from. I have paid personal before because I DIDN"T KNOW. It didn't even cross my mind; I thought it was a way to pay, period. I wouldn't want to be scammed either, and now that I know that you can get scammed via this process, I will no longer pay this way either. Really, I have only purchased 1 thing and sold 1 thing on these boards anyway, but stopped because of all the scary stories.

It baffles me too. My exact sentiments. Oh well. :001_huh:

Edited by 3peasinapod

Well..the reality is you can get scammed, even if using paypal correctly, I just remembered one transaction, it was only like $11 or $12 and it went under paypal as "under investigation", this was years ago, NEVER did get resolved because this person just changed emails or something so...that was NOT using personal paypal, it was regular paypal, and the woman sent me an item that was not what I ordered and I never did get my money back on that and I had all emails everything but they could never get her, for whatever reason, maybe it was the amount? I don't know...

So...in all my years of buying and selling on here and buying and selling homeschool stuff I have had VERY FEW bad experiences considering the amount of stuff I have bought and sold! It is a great way for us to get things maybe we can't afford at reasonable prices so...

Don't be scared off. Check the feedback, go by the emails, if I ever get real concerned I ask for pictures or I don't buy. But...you can tell a lot about their posts, their interractions with you, their feedback. It really does not happen a lot, when it does it puts a bad taste in your mouth..I still get leery but most people on here have been absolutely wonderful to deal with!!!

Paypal used to have a deal where when you put in their email address it showed you if they were a "premier account or how long they had been with paypal etc.." now, I don't see that, not sure if they can be verified through paypal before purchasing...again..need to check the policies ;)...just trying to be a bit humourous, not nasty.

I hope this lady is not just ill or something....I was looking back at her feedback and it seems odd....I do realize she was on the boards, I just hope everyone's stuff shows up and it is somehow a misunderstanding.

Kim

:iagree: This is where I was coming from. I have paid personal before because I DIDN"T KNOW. It didn't even cross my mind; I thought it was a way to pay, period. I wouldn't want to be scammed either, and now that I know that you can get scammed via this process, I will no longer pay this way either. Really, I have only purchased 1 thing and sold 1 thing on these boards anyway, but stopped because of all the scary stories.

It baffles me too. My exact sentiments. Oh well. :001_huh:

Can't help but chiming in.

I always paid sellers using personal paypal because there was a thread a while back saying that it's alright for the member of this forum to use personal paypal for buying and selling used goods.

A couple of months ago (July-Aug 2011), I was scammed for $60. Turned out that there were at least 5 other members scammed by this person. We all called paypal and managed to get our money refunded.

I was the fourth one asking for a refund. It was pretty straight forward because by that time, it was obvious that this person scammed others. I remembered the first member who got scammed told me that she had to explain everything to paypal and then got a line of investigation opened.

Bottom line, at the end, we all got our money back despite of us using personal paypal.

PS: All of us left negative feedback for this particular seller, and sent email to the mods reporting the scam. No reply from mods, but the seller hasn't been posting anything since those incidents. Don't know whether she gets a new username.

Edited by mom2moon2

op:since she has been on here since and ignored messages, well then, that tells you something. I've given her the benefit of the doubt for nearly three weeks.

How can you tell if she's been on here? I checked the messages for ones later than your purchase and didn't see any.

I hope you hear something soon or better receive the items.

Was it shipped media mail?

This takes 4-5 weeks for us.

You can view someones public profile and it usually tells their last activity, from what it looks like hers was 3-2-12, did you all send her PM's, I think I read that you did, sometimes if people respond or reply to my post I miss that but I never miss if someone PM's me.

op:since she has been on here since and ignored messages' date=' well then, that tells you something. I've given her the benefit of the doubt for nearly three weeks.

How can you tell if she's been on here? I checked the messages for ones later than your purchase and didn't see any.

This takes 4-5 weeks for us.[/quote']

I got nosey and took a look at who we're talking about. I looked at her posts, and it looked like to me that Feb. 23rd was the last day she posted anything. Am I reading something wrong? I'm wondering if something might have happened to her. I know it seems fishy b/c she asked for personal paypal, but maybe she didn't intend to keep the money and not send the books. I really hope she's okay, and I hope that everyone involved is able to get this resolved. If you don't get your books, I hope you're able to get your money back.

op:since she has been on here since and ignored messages' date=' well then, that tells you something. I've given her the benefit of the doubt for nearly three weeks.

This takes 4-5 weeks for us.[/quote']

media mail is usually 2 wks for me. She had told me after I paid she would notify me when she shipped it. I never heard from her again after I sent the payment. I pm'd and emailed the paypal address.

I also purchased something from her and haven't received my books, nor have I heard back from her. I PM'd her at the end of February, so it was well before the last time she logged in. Thankfully I didn't use the personal tab, so if I don't get my books soon, I'm filing a complaint. I do want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but the OP spoke with someone that was scammed a while back, but didn't leave negative feedback because she was scared it would be reciprocated. How does that work, btw? If I paid, can she leave negative feedback for me?

I have also had someone be rude to me because I refused to pay personal. I *wish* that everyone would just use non-personal and then these issues would not arise.

Me, too. I was new to the board and it was my first time purchasing something. I politely questioned the personal payment, saying that didn't seem right. The person was not very nice to me about it, and said I was wrong and told me why. I ended up paying personal paypal because I thought I was wrong and she was right. Now I don't think so.

I also purchased something from her and haven't received my books, nor have I heard back from her. I PM'd her at the end of February, so it was well before the last time she logged in. Thankfully I didn't use the personal tab, so if I don't get my books soon, I'm filing a complaint. I do want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but the OP spoke with someone that was scammed a while back, but didn't leave negative feedback because she was scared it would be reciprocated. How does that work, btw? If I paid, can she leave negative feedback for me?

Yes she can give give retaliatory feedback....there is a report feedback button but I don't know if it gets looked at. It does appear that if a pattern is established retaliatory feedback will be removed but it might take a while.

Thanks for all of the information... I was worried about buying on here at first... so far so good! And I don't even look at the profiles before buying, but I guess I better start. I have sold quite a bit and gotten 1 person to leave feedback. I have gotten PM's and am glad because I was a little later shipping due to 2 days of tornadoes! But everyone has been very understanding and sent me Thank you messages!

I tried to leave good feedback for a seller and got lost and couldn't do it. I need to figure it out, because we do need to establish a good rating.

I have also read alot of posts about the issue of Paypal methods and I think we should use the regular goods if we are buying goods!

Well....I am not a legal assistant for a defense attorney but I still think this whole thing is a bit harsh, if it is wrong then we get the word out it is wrong. I would never have refused to sell to someone using personal Paypal and perhaps I should have checked paypals policies myself, instead of assuming that it was ok to use Personal paypal. You can bet I won't anymore...however, I don't always read all posts about things and I never saw this one linked here about paypal policies.

If you were scammed, leave negative feedback, don't start attacking everyone who has asked for personal paypal, yes, books are goods? I guess...I didn't even think about it, maybe I should have, I don't know. To me...it was selling my personal items, I often don't "make" much because I buy used and sell used, most times I lose money because I buy a lot new because I live where I don't get to go "look at everything", then sell it for a loss when I realize I am not going to use it. I surely was not thinking....I am clicking personal and it isn't so I am cheating Paypal, that never crossed my mind. Wow..this really baffles me a bit.

I am not attacking anyone, and I am not singling anyone out. There have been threads about this on the sale and swap board, and many people have told sellers, who still insist on it. Pointing out that it is stealing is harsh, but it is still correct.

Paypal is a business. It charges fees because it provides a service. People use that service and then they don't want to pay for it. People don't like getting scammed, Paypal doesn't like getting scammed. Sellers who do follow the rules get financially penalized when other people do not. And buyers get scammed because they think of it as standard operating procedure on our For Sale boards, and then have no recourse.

If pointing out that it is stealing and the people who continue to do it are thieves, either makes them look at the policy themselves, or shames them into stopping even if they don't care about the policy, then I think that is a good thing. But I am willing to bet that a year from now this will still be an issue.

Three years ago I left negative feedback here because the person didn't send my stuff, she kept saying she would. I knew that most likely she was going to come right back at me and leave me negative feedback as well (even though I paid her promptly) and she did. But I left the feedback anyway because I didn't want anyone else to go through what I did.