Menu

Biting the Homeschool Curriculum Bullet

txhomemom

Anyone ever get tired of searching for used curriculum, trying to save money by buying cheaper curriculum, and then one day just buy what you really want?!!

It seems for the last year I have been trying to save money, but I ended up just spending more because I bought cheaper curriculum that did not really work. I have decided this year I am just going to bite the bullet and buy what I really want to get (within reason of course, I don't have that much spending money). I have been eyeballing IEW for years and a few other things. I am tired of sitting on the fence and drooling over curriculum, I feel like we have been missing out on so much good stuff (of course I know the grass is not always greener on the other side)!

Anybody else had this epiphany and just bought what you wanted?

Yup.

I decided I'd rather spend the $ on my sanity (i.e. the curricula I want) than anything else. DS had health issues early in life that took a lot of our budget so I made do for school. Now, he has different issues and the school accomodations are an important part of treating them. So I spend the $.

Edited by MomatHWTK

I have done that for some time. If I have something I know I like that we've been using and see the next level used I sometimes will pick it up, but mostly I just buy new since it's easier in the long run for me.

Now I have had grass is greener syndrome at the same time and ended up with lots of things before that were really a waste and it wouldn't have mattered if it was bought used or new, it still would have been a dud.

I'm trying to curb that researching and trying to find the new, best, thing and just stick with what we like and what's been working. It can be hard though because it seems there can be times where lots of new shiny curriculum pops onto the scene.

The first couple weeks I homeschooled, I had been waffling over 3 different curriculum for one subject. One was more expensive, and the other two were relatively cheap. I ended up buying both of the cheap ones to try them both out. Well, both were a flop. I finally broke down and bought the expensive curriculum, and it was really the best choice for that point in time. I should have gone with the expensive one to begin with (it was my first choice, and I'd stuck with that choice for a few months before changing my mind right before purchasing).

Sometimes spending some money IS worth it, and if I can afford it, I'm going to go ahead and not let cost hold me back if I really think the curriculum is worth the cost. Obviously, if the choice is expensive curriculum or put food on the table, you're going to need to choose food.

Now I do buy a lot of our literature used via Amazon, since often I can get it half price in almost new condition. I just bought some books this week, and one labeled "good" condition pretty much looks new. It clearly has never been cracked open and read. Every book I've purchased used off Amazon has been in such good condition that it was worth getting it used. But if they don't have a great deal or if the used vs. new price is only $1 different or something, I'll go ahead and get new and not worry about it. Most of my curriculum I buy new. I'll buy used if it's something that's normally expensive and I just want to try it out. I just bought a Sonlight core IG cheap on a whim to try out, and we start next week. :D If it doesn't work out, I'm not out much money. If we love it, great. I was able to do Sonlight on the cheap (my library has a bunch of the books, and the books I've purchased so far look really good, so I'd want them for my home library anyway).

Thankfully, my kid was in private school before homeschooling, so that helps a lot. My homeschool budget doesn't come anywhere near tuition cost, and next year I would have had two kids in private school. I'm still spending a fraction of the price of one kid's tuition, so I don't feel too bad about spending a bit. It's my kids' education, and whatever makes life easier for ALL of us is worth some money to me. If I'm completely frazzled trying to pull together free/cheap resources that I don't really love, my family is going to suffer. If Mama ain't happy, no one is happy, right? So I do sometimes pay for ease of use, just for my sanity. As long as it's not causing a hardship on my family to purchase it, I don't think I need to feel any guilt over it.

Sometimes spending some money IS worth it, and if I can afford it, I'm going to go ahead and not let cost hold me back if I really think the curriculum is worth the cost. Obviously, if the choice is expensive curriculum or put food on the table, you're going to need to choose food.

:iagree:

Obviously if the choice is food or curriculum, you have to go w/ food....but if it's buying just about anything else, I go w/ curriculum first. I'd rather have the curr. that I want, and get my clothes at Walmart, iykwim. ;)

Sorta. I decide what I really want and then I look for it used, but if I can't find it used then I buy it new. I am biting the bullet and buying TT prealebra brand new for 187$ the only used programs seem to be the version, and while I might be able to force it to work, I don't wannnnaaaa. The first year we homeschooled I was terrible at seeing something suggested and then seeing it listed on the used board, and buying it. Now I have a better idea of what works and I stay away from the used board unless I am looking for something specific. :D

For the earlier years, I was able to get a lot of materials from library and yard sales and Paperback Swap.

But as others have mentioned, some of it wasn't a good fit so it didn't matter whether I paid a lot or got it free- it sits on a shelf. Now, since it turns out I have 4 students instead of the 1 I thought I was going to have maybe I can get some use out of all that stuff.

Sometimes buying new gives you the assurance that you can return the curriculum if it is not a great fit. I believe IEW has a nice return guarantee.

I went to a seminar last month to listen to both Andrew Pudewa (IEW) and Andrew Kern (The Lost Tools of Writing). Now I am convinced that I ought to purchase...brand new...The Lost Tools of Writing Vol. 1 to add to my IEW.

Happy Shopping.:D

Edited by LivingHope

Yes, I decided this a couple of years ago. I no longer shy away from a curriculum I think will work well for my kids due to the cost. I may have to save a little longer to get it, but it is cheaper than buying a compromise curriculum and then it not working out.

I am pretty new to this, so I haven't tried too hard yet, but I live in Hawaii, and I am finding that once I factor in shipping from a bunch of different places to get used stuff it comes out about the same to just order off Amazon and get free shipping or do a bulk order somewhere else and then they can at least ship everything together and I save that way. Also, usually people who ship used stuff want to ship media mail...this takes up to 8 weeks to get from the mainland to Hawaii and is very unreliable (I have had a number of items shipped to media mail that never made it). With bigger companies they usually will only ship priority to Hawaii. I honestly don't think buying used is going to be worth it for me, but that may just be because of my location.

I'd rather have the curr. that I want, and get my clothes at Walmart, iykwim. ;)

Finally, someone who "gets" me! Even when I'm given birthday money and told to spend it on me, well, it's for "me" if I've been wanting WWS, right? :D

There was a tip I once read that is brilliantly simple, that I have yet to follow through on: Make lists to organize your curriculum purchasing. Make a list of all books you own - from paperback fiction to instructor's guides. I think this can be done on sites like Library Thing, but I'm not positive. I'd probably sort it into genres and subjects, then divide further (for ex. non-fiction --> science --> life science --> cephalopod --> octopus). Maybe this is old news and all of you are balking that I haven't done this yet. Also make lists of books you're looking for, and categorize it into 2 groups: Required and Optional. For "required", I'd note which child, for which grade & subject, it's required for, just to make sure I don't forget and inadvertently pass up a good deal.

I am pretty new to this, so I haven't tried too hard yet, but I live in Hawaii, and I am finding that once I factor in shipping from a bunch of different places to get used stuff it comes out about the same to just order off Amazon and get free shipping or do a bulk order somewhere else and then they can at least ship everything together and I save that way. Also, usually people who ship used stuff want to ship media mail...this takes up to 8 weeks to get from the mainland to Hawaii and is very unreliable (I have had a number of items shipped to media mail that never made it). With bigger companies they usually will only ship priority to Hawaii. I honestly don't think buying used is going to be worth it for me, but that may just be because of my location.

I'm a bit farther away than Hawaii so every time I order something it better be good, not to mention it may take anywhere between 2-8 weeks to arrive. Grrr.... Lately I am going with tried and true for this reason.

I've bought most of our curriculum new, but I do check Amazon to see if I can find books used, etc. I have found, however, that buying new doesn't guarantee I'll like it. :glare: (We bought MFWK Deluxe pkg + their Literature Collection --after much research-- only to find it wasn't a fit for us.) Luckily I was able to sell it and recoup most of our costs...

Actually, I'm a little sticker shocked right now b/c I just ordered our 1st grade materials. Wowzer. And we went with one of the not-so-expensive programs (but not b/c of cost, but preference)! :001_huh:

Anyone ever get tired of searching for used curriculum, trying to save money by buying cheaper curriculum, and then one day just buy what you really want?!!

It seems for the last year I have been trying to save money, but I ended up just spending more because I bought cheaper curriculum that did not really work. I have decided this year I am just going to bite the bullet and buy what I really want to get (within reason of course, I don't have that much spending money). I have been eyeballing IEW for years and a few other things. I am tired of sitting on the fence and drooling over curriculum, I feel like we have been missing out on so much good stuff (of course I know the grass is not always greener on the other side)!

Anybody else had this epiphany and just bought what you wanted?

Yes, I tried used for about two months when I first started, just because. Then I just quit because I wasn't willing to compromise on that core piece of our hs experience. Now I buy what they need, period, and what I consider the best, not just good enough. Also I have,an aversion to getting reading materials and needed school items as gifts. They are just provided as necessities, like food or water.

Yes and that is why after spending tons of time organizing and planning I was told by my DH to just "buy the darn curriculum I wanted". Okay.....I just got Oak Meadow K,1,2,3,5,and 6 in the mail. He said it!:lol:

I am so excited to start on a new and more relaxed journey(which I will inevitably tweak anyway).

I swear each year it's what I'm gonna do. This year I bought our math used, it was too easy and I had to sell it and buy brand new curriculum, so in the end that was money wasted. I purchased 2 LA used. One was perfect, the other wasn't the right level despite what I thought, so I had to go and buy it new anyway.. more money wasted. Then, I ended upgrading my core only to have SL upgrade all their cores a week later.

If I weren't so tired of waiting on things to arrive {we start our school year in late Feb or early March so we should be in full swing by now..} I would have called SL & asked them about returning that to upgrade for their newest/latest. BUT, I do have all the books for the one I upgraded too & I'm not sure if the latest upgrade will end up changing a few books or not.

Next year, I'm not doing the used route. End of story. I normally do really well with the used venture, but the last two years I've been so-so with this year being the worst ever. Nope, next year my stuff will be new from the start. :lol:

The thing that gets me is when people list used curriculum at a price that's higher than it's listed at new on Amazon. When they list their curriculum don't they check the price? Why would I want someone's hand-me-downs if I can get it new AND shipped for free somewhere else?

The thing that gets me is when people list used curriculum at a price that's higher than it's listed at new on Amazon. When they list their curriculum don't they check the price? Why would I want someone's hand-me-downs if I can get it new AND shipped for free somewhere else?

Sometimes that's probably due to shipping prices. Some curriculum just isn't even worth selling because it would cost too much to ship it.

And yes, I think people truly don't look at the price on Amazon sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

I used to try to do things as inexpensively as possible. We also shop thrift stores for clothes and eat rice and beans to save money. BUT once I started to buy curriculum that I really needed since nothing else that I had access to cheaply was workiing.......I realized that I wasn't doing the kids or myself any favors. Some things are expensive for a reason. My husband and I talked it over and decided that if there was an area that we were determined to spend the kind of money that it took to get the best materials then that area was going to be curriculum.

Yes. I buy what I want and I buy it new.

In the beginning, there was no choice, because 17 years ago, there was very little in the way of curriculum. Now, I just do it because that's the way I prefer it, and I know in the long run I actually save both time and money.

To a degree, it is usually better to just bite the bullet.

But I say "to a degree" because we chose not to use Calvert again next year because they raised prices again and it's just too much. 1000 per kid, of NON REuSaBLE materials is ludicrous.

But here are the ways I AM willing to spend more:

1. Not to have to run to my copy machine. I will pay for extra workbooks. The hassle of running out of ink and being stuck is NOT up my alley.

2. I will pay more to have peace of mind. If I know something will work its worth my husband's hard earned money.

3. I will pay more for things which are easy to use - not having to run around for supplies, not having to get extra books from the library, not having to be creative on the spot.

4. I will pay more for materials from companies I trust. New fads in homeschooling scare me. Unless they are from companies I trust such as Timberdoodle. They read my brain all the time.

Here are things I will not shell out bigger bucks for:

1. I will not pay for stacks of books - that is what the library is for!!

2. I will not buy a laser printer (see reason 1 above)

3. I will not buy expensive peripherals (maps, desks, etc)

4. I will no longer pay big bucks for software unless it's downloadable. We are entering the post-PC revolution in computing and desktops will become obsolete for ordinary users within a few years.

In the beginning, that's what we all did. No used stuff available, 'cuz we were all starting out. No conventions, no used book sales. Heck, hardly any curriculum. :lol:

yep. I remember the first year Sonlight came out. It was so huge because it was the first homeschool curriculum widely available that wasn't Textbook driven (BJU, ABeka) or $ (i.e. Calvert).

Always buy what YOU can afford.

On one hand, if you under spend, you will just end out spending more in the long run. So get what you really want, if there is any way at all that you can afford it.

On the other hand, if you truly are on a very strict budget, know that the expensive curricula even though they seem to PLEASE mom, don't seem to produce better results, in terms of test scores or stories of achievement.

Money spent on what mom wants, makes mom happier; and that often trickles down to happier kids. BUT if mom can find a way to be content with what she has, and just does her best with it, studies say the children will be fine.

I'm struggling with this now. We are going from two incomes to one in order to homeschool, so money is going to be tight. That said, I was able to find some extremely generous people on the general board that are giving away things they don't need anymore. I am getting Singapore Standards 1B test book, Writing Strands 3, and Wordly Wise B for free. I was planning on using WWE for writing, but after looking at Writing Strands I think it is going to work very well for my oldest ds. I guess we will see. Since it is free, it is worth a try.

I have thought about looking for SOTW 1 used, but something is holding me back. I am seeing several, like others mentioned, that are listed for even more than you can buy it new. I think I am stressing about the fact that I want to get MCT Island for my oldest and I need to try to save money elsewhere in order to do that. I am planning on going with MEP for math and supplementing with Singapore if I can find some free/cheap items such as the HIGs.

Also, I use to buy everything I could used. However, I've had several things that did not hold up (covers fell off, spines cracked etc). The books were fine when I got them, it wasn't that the person sent shoddy books, but they just had been used so often, that they fell apart for us. This happened with 2 of the teacher guides for math, so I won't be able to resell them when I finish with them, and the price I payed was half of the new price. Well, I'd rather buy new and sell it when I'm done with it and end up paying the same than buy used and have a book that's falling apart.