Menu

Do you learn the materials along with your child?

I was one of those kids who fell though the cracks, I stopped learning math at fractions (not one person EVER showed it to me visually so I didn't "get it" until looking for materials to teach it to my own kid, so many wasted years of frustration and the same remedial math year after year because no one thought to teach it visually) so now I'm doing TT7 myself along with her. I didn't pass a single English class until high school and the bar was ridiculously low then. I'm now learning grammar along with my 5th grader. I'm learning history I don't think was ever covered, I'm learning how to draw with her too. While educating her I'm getting the education I should have had and enjoying it.

Is anyone else doing the same?

:grouphug: I graduated high school with AP scores that translated into college credit. I have a B. A. in history and guess what? I have learned things in the Story of the World books for grades 1-4 that I had not known previously. I had excellent grades and test scores in English but only minimal exposure to diagramming so I get to learn that now. I want to teach my dd Latin and I will have to learn it myself first. You are definitely not alone and I don't think previous success in school is as much of an asset as most would imagine.

Some of it. DS is only 9, so I'm not going through his science, math or LA except where I teach him. I think history is seriously lacking in most schools and has been for a long time, so I learn a lot there. I'm also learning Latin with him... only Prima Latina, and I doubt I'll ever be great at it, LOL!!

I do find that teaching him has been a good refresher on things I "used to know" and have to remember!!

I was an A student who took the advanced math track at my public high school. This is actually hilarious because I never learned my times tables. I didn't have a clue but I could follow a formula in a book and use a calculator. I sure as heck didn't know what I was doing. I'm learning and memorizing my times tables right now with my youngest daughter. My older kids I hired a tutor to teach them math. I hope to actually learn algebra myself this time around.

I did have some grammar in middle school but that was it. I was never taught how to write a sentence, let alone an essay. Literature was not about reading books but about reading 'selections' in a textbook. I took three science classes in my senior year, Chem II, Bio II, and Physics II because I really wanted to go into a science career (no such thing as AP classes) but I can tell you that I found out later that I had actually learned very little. History was events and dates in middle school but morphed into some kind of geography/social studies hybrid in high school that even the teacher seemed bored with.

College was a bit better, but I sure did not get that wonderful intellectual experience that some people were lucky enough to have. It seemed that most people at my school were either focused on partying and just getting by, or focused on getting through college as painlessly and quickly as possible to get a decent job and move on with their lives.

Yeah, I'm learning a LOT with homeschooling. I'm enjoying it too.

Haha, absolutely. My memory is terrible so I've forgotten what I taught my older HSers which many times I had to learn as I was teaching. Now I'm HSing my younger kids and constantly have to check the answer book before I explain something to be sure I know how to do it.

I remember being lost all during school. I never understood the point of lessons (or assemblies) and was never given the lesson to read.

In 3rd and 4th grades I was in a small self-contained class (1 girl out of 8 kids). In 5th grade I was dumped into regular ed with no support and that continued until I "graduated." I put graduated in quotes because I never showed up for my English regents exam but have an 80%, and I failed 12th grade economics but my report card had a 65%. The economics teacher did not give me a 65%.

When I took the college placement test I scored perfect on the English portion and bombed the Math. The person who went over my scores even called my aunt (worked at the college) to make sure the scores were accurate!

I took remedial math and algebra and for the first time ever, I understood what I was doing.

Now, learning alongside dd, everything makes sense. I try to remember my struggles during school and not get so frustrated with dd.

Yes, and loving it. :)

Is there a better way to model "lifetime learning" to my kids than being interested and enthusiastic in learning right beside them? (According to my DD I am ancient, so I guess that would translate to end of life learning too :lol:)

Plus, it helps that my public school K-12 experience was quite lacking; It left plenty of opportunity for personal improvement.

Sure do - it's not even funny how much of a mess the two of us can make of a thing together.

Heck of a lot of fun if you ask me.

^^ this ^^ :)

You should see ds and I trying to figure out Algebra together! We have a healthy competition going on on Khan -- and take turns whooping each other through a module! I love it! Sometimes he helps me "see" and sometimes I actually help him "see".

I learn, struggle, and remember right along with them. I also am learning things on my own, things that I am interested in. I want to show them that learning should never stop; it may change and the student may become more in control, but we should never stop learning new things.

Like someone else said "no other way to home school". Our house is a FAMILY school.

~coffee~

Yes, I made the decision a couple of years ago to be a student of our homeschool.

Now, that my eldest is in Alg 1, yes I do Khan academy and every single math problem right along with her. I can't help her if I don't know what I'm doing.

You should see ds and I trying to figure out Algebra together! We have a healthy competition going on on Khan -- and take turns whooping each other through a module! I love it! Sometimes he helps me "see" and sometimes I actually help him "see".

I learn, struggle, and remember right along with them. I also am learning things on my own, things that I am interested in. I want to show them that learning should never stop; it may change and the student may become more in control, but we should never stop learning new things.

Like someone else said "no other way to home school". Our house is a FAMILY school.

~coffee~

:iagree:

I am fairly certain that I have learned more in academic subjects in the past 11 years of homeschooling than I did when I went through K-12. Okay, I might have been relearning material but I can honestly say that even when I was doing early elementary years with my kids, I would say 'I didn't know that!'

I have definitely found school more interesting as an adult, which is why I've always tried my best to not place my own expectations onto my children. My kids do not have to think ancient history is as interesting as I do. Even now with them in high school, I can get excited about something they roll their eyes at. I stopped being bothered by it. I'm having a good time and they are getting a good education, so it's all okay.

I did Algebra 1 with my son last school year and we're about 2 months away from finishing Algebra 2. Because I'm having such a hard time with his class, I've purchased an Algebra 1 book for myself to go through again. My dd13 is in Algebra 1 and she occasionally asks for help. It's nice to be able to help her with confidence.

One of my absolute favorite things to learn when they were in late elementary grades was diagramming. I loved diagramming!!! I bought a big whiteboard and we would put up sentences and diagram with different color markers. That was fun stuff.

~coffee~

:iagree:i'm doing the same thing, we're learning Algebra (again) and two levels of Latin. Can't wait to learn Geometry next year!

Yes, absolutely, I had to, otherwise I couldn't teach it! I really studied a lot for the older two (who learned at the same level), because so much of it I didn't remember anymore. I could let things glide a little for the next three because I had learned it with the older two. :) However, once they got into high school, they did some subjects independently (without my learning it), especially these last two years due to husband's health issues.