Menu

Dick Cavett hates homeschoolers.

If you also don't own a denim jumper I'm afraid we'll have to vote you off the island.

I don't think I have ever been on the island. Does nose piercing bar you from the island? If so, my passport never could have been stamped. My non-profit manager uniform was slacks or trouser jeans, top and cardigan and that is what I wore most days till I quit my job. Now you will find that I just favor girl rock band shirts to nice tops but still can't part with the hallowed cardigan. Are cardigans homeschooling attire? If so I am in. No one owns more cardigans than me. It's a serious problem. I think I have 7-8 in the color black alone. :confused:

I don't think I have ever been on the island. Does nose piercing bar you from the island? If so, my passport never could have been stamped. My non-profit manager uniform was slacks or trouser jeans, top and cardigan and that is what I wore most days till I quit my job. Now you will find that I just favor girl rock band shirts to nice tops but still can't part with the hallowed cardigan. Are cardigans homeschooling attire? If so I am in. No one owns more cardigans than me. It's a serious problem. I think I have 7-8 in the color black alone. :confused:

Oooh, I could play this game. I wear cardigans (or its less formal cousin, the hoodie) almost every day. I have more gray than black though.

No bathrobe or denim jumper for me, either.

I was bluffing. I don't own a denim jmper either. I DO wear cardigans because it's a socially acceptable way to be bathrobe-cozy all day long.

If they let me on the island with my sequined costumes, I'm pretty sure piercings aren't a deal-breaker. Now that I think of it, there just don't seem to be ANY standards here. I'm not sure about this club anymore . . .

I was bluffing. I don't own a denim jmper either. I DO wear cardigans because it's a socially acceptable way to be bathrobe-cozy all day long.

Err...I might have to admit to owning a cardigan or two that might be extremely close to being bathrobes.

Now that I think of it, there just don't seem to be ANY standards here. I'm not sure about this club anymore . . .

This belongs in your sig. :lol:

It smacks of Marx. Groucho, not Karl. -I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

This was the line that made me laugh:

"I think of the mournful home-school kid watching his friends board the school bus, laughing, gossiping and enjoying all that vital socialization we call schooldays."

:lol: Oh, he is totally a moron if he thinks school days today are anything like what he grew up experiencing!

He's also clearly not known any homeschoolers in real life. Every member of my household smiles when that bus rattles by in the mornings--and then we roll over and sleep another hour or two. :D My boys have even made comments that they feel sorry for their friends that have to catch the bus so early.

I was a public-schooled kid who hated riding the bus--I hated school in general. But the bus was truly torture!

I was bluffing.

I assumed joking and replied as such...though the part about the nose piercings and cardigans is no joke.

I honestly can't usually bring myself to leave the house without something that is at minimum cardigan like. It may be a disease.

So I guess sequined costumes mean my tattoos are ok? :001_smile:

there just don't seem to be ANY standards here. I'm not sure about this club anymore . . .

Only Singapore Standards.

Err...I might have to admit to owning a cardigan or two that might be extremely close to being bathrobes.

Oh, my MIL gave me something like that for Christmas. I thought carefully before deciding it was ok to wear out of the house. But if women can go to the grocery store in threadbare stained pj bottoms, I can go in a cardigan that may have a couple too many bathrobe like characteristics. I think this is the sort of reasoning that destroys standards.

I own two bathrobes.

Well...we call them 'housecoats'.

Anyways. One's hot pink, kinda fleecy...the other was originally Wolf's...dark blue thick terry.

They're stylin :coolgleamA:

I never hs in them though.

However, I have worn my hot pink drunken polar bear flannel jammies while hsing...sure to offend EVERYONE :lol:

I will admit to occasionally homeschooling in my bathrobe--both of them (but not both at the same time. THAT would be weird :D). One is a lightweight summer robe. The other is an ultra-frumptastic zip-up fleece number with a hood.

Sometimes I homeschool wrapped only in a towel. This is because I attempt to shower and my kids bring their schoolwork into my bedroom :glare: But that's what I get for sleeping in instead of getting up and showering before DH leaves for work.

I'm losing heart in the NYT op ed.

Someone needs to vet this stuff a bit better - it's so...weak. The argumentation skills are sorely soft. Doesn't NY deserve better?

I was gonna say--doesn't this stuff go past an editor? Or a fact-checker?

I had no idea he was still alive. Wonder if he owns a bathrobe... Or a cardigan?

I can totally see him in a cardigan. With suede elbow patches to make him look more professorial.

And for his wife's sake, I truly hope he wears a bathrobe when he gets out of the shower. A really long one. That scrawny old body isn't something anyone wants to see. :D

I haven't read any replies yet, and I'm not all the way through the screed yet, but maybe someone should send him copies of some of the communications sent home in recent years by schools and teachers that are full of the same kinds of spelling and grammatical errors he discusses from parents' communications with his school-teacher parents.

Which brings to mind another question. Presumably these semi-literate (in his view) who wrote such things to his parents were products of public schools themselves? Not exactly the best testimonial for the product you're selling.

Off to read the rest. . .

ETA--Ok, so it looks like he does know about problems with poor teachers. And the parents who take kids out of THOSE schools are admirable? I'm with those who are saying he's not making sense. Does he not run this by an editor of any kind??

Edited by Kirch

Thanks, Kristina. :grouphug: It does help to think of him and all his commenters as being hopelessly drunk.

Don't worry. They'll be singing a different tune one day when homeschoolers are knocking their kids' socks off in college and the workplace and are just generally ruling the world.:D

I haven't read any replies yet, and I'm not all the way through the screed yet, but maybe someone should send him copies of some of the communications sent home in recent years by schools and teachers that are full of the same kinds of spelling and grammatical errors he discusses from parents' communications with his school-teacher parents.

Seriously. On another board I visit, one of the posters used to work as a PS teacher and she has made anti-homeschooling comments. Her grammar, punctuation and spelling are so atrocious that I almost have to sit on my hands to keep myself from quoting and correcting her.

Oh, shoot. Now I have started reading the comments. UGH!

People really don't know what goes on in our homes do they? Many speak of Religious abuse, students WAY behind academically, hiding our children in closets.....shoot, apparently I am homeschooling all wrong.

And the social worker's comments that our homes are "all too often [hiding] chronic, generational physical and sexual abuse." WHAT THE HECK?????

Edited by DawnM

I should have stopped at the end of the article. We are pretty new to homeschooling and I, apparently, do not have "tough skin" yet. It really bothered me and the comments were even worse! Hopefully I will learn to dismiss such stupidity!

He's an idiot. He obviously has NO idea what homeschooling is all about. Then again, he obviously has NO idea what public schooling is all about these days, either. He's sitting around in his faded bathrobe reminiscing about his long-ago schoolboy days, thinking that maybe, just maybe, public school might be ANYTHING like that today (it's usually not, Dickie). And he's scratching himself and thinking that homeschooling might be ANYTHING like all the stereotypes he can dredge up (it's usually not, Dickie), and that was the best he could come up with for his sorry little article. Yeah, whatever. At the end of the day, my kids are happy (happier than they'd be in public school), educated (better educated than they'd be in public school) and, gasp, socialized (better socialized than they'd be in public school). It's all good. ;)

Wow. I've read a lot of anti-homeschooling articles, but like PP's have mentioned, this one especially hurts. I'm not sure why, exactly...I guess because it's extremely mean spirited, most of the comments are in agreement with the article.

And they are no longer accepting comments...grrrr. How frustrating!

When I read articles like this, I just don't understand why there is so much hostility toward homeschoolers. What the heck did we do??

The man is an @$$. Don't let is BS get you down.