Menu

Homeschooling in the White House

I have a hard time believing a president and first lady would have time to actually teach their children themselves, and, based on the insistence of local online charter schools in my area that define themselves as not being homeschooling, I am not sure what to make of the definitions.

There is a bit of controversy because they are using a taxpayer funded online public charter school.

Oh man, We pay lots of taxes....and I am sure they do too. I wish I could use a taxpayer money for a cyber charter. Seriously, in NY we are over regulated, over taxed, over burdened, but there are NO cyber charters publicly funded.......sigh.......

It would be nice if we could use another state's cyber school.

Faithe

They seem like a beautiful family.

I would be very concerned for them. Trisomy 18 generally causes death before 18 months and many times within one or two weeks of birth. Their dear little one has lived far longer than predicted and they nearly lost her just a while ago in Florida during his campaign there. At any time, a sitting president and his family can incur a tragedy and have to deal with that in a VERY public way. However, for this family, their precious child is in imminent, known danger, and that's a lot of mind boggling stress on top of a job that is already MIND BOGGLING stress.

I don't wish the job on he and his family! But, then I don't wish the job on anyone...it's a killer!

Faith

There is a bit of controversy because they are using a taxpayer funded online public charter school.

The controversy is because they were residing in a different state. My dh's state of residence is Texas. But, we've never lived there as a military family. We have to follow the laws of whatever state we happen to be residing in. We don't get to use any Texas resources unless we are living there.

The controversy is because they were residing in a different state. My dh's state of residence is Texas. But, we've never lived there as a military family. We have to follow the laws of whatever state we happen to be residing in. We don't get to use any Texas resources unless we are living there.

As a Texas resident living in Hawaii, I know what you mean. :)

That was certainly a part of the controversy, but also his stand against publicly funded education didn't seem to match up with the fact that his family was benefitting from it.

Oh man, We pay lots of taxes....and I am sure they do too. I wish I could use a taxpayer money for a cyber charter. Seriously, in NY we are over regulated, over taxed, over burdened, but there are NO cyber charters publicly funded.......sigh.......

It would be nice if we could use another state's cyber school.

Faithe

Actually, they weren't using another state's cyber school, they were residents of PA at the time and using PA cyber school and paying PA taxes.

Actually, they weren't using another state's cyber school, they were residents of PA at the time and using PA cyber school and paying PA taxes.

The family was residing in Virginia. Owning a house in a state does not mean you reside there. Again, plenty of military families own a house in one state and live in another. We are required to follow the laws of the state in which we are actually living.

The family was residing in Virginia. Owning a house in a state does not mean you reside there. Again, plenty of military families own a house in one state and live in another. We are required to follow the laws of the state in which we are actually living.

Right, which was PA:) He would not have been able to be a Senator representing PA if he wasn't a legal resident of PA.

ETA: Mrs Mungo I understand what you are saying but as a military family do you pay taxes where you live or where you own the home? Where you live, correct? They were paying taxes in PA, their residency was in PA.

Right, which was PA:) He would not have been able to be a Senator representing PA if he wasn't a legal resident of PA.

Being a legal resident and living some place can be mutually exclusive. The family was living in Virginia, near DC. If the family had been living in PA, there never would have been a controversy.

Being a legal resident and living some place can be mutually exclusive. The family was living in Virginia, near DC. If the family had been living in PA, there never would have been a controversy.

Alright, I understand what you are saying...lets just agree to disagree about a story that is over 5 years old....:001_smile:

ETA: Mrs Mungo I understand what you are saying but as a military family do you pay taxes where you live or where you own the home? Where you live, correct? They were paying taxes in PA, their residency was in PA.

Sorry, you are wrong about that. Military families pay state income tax based on their state of residency. We don't pay state income tax for the state in which we live. Well, *I* would, if I worked, but my dh does not. It can be confusing, I know. But, that is why the two things don't add up.

If we own a home in Hawaii, move, rent that home out, we will still be paying property taxes in Hawaii.

This issue has already been dealt with. There was a hearing and the officer ruled in favor of the Santorums. They withdrew their kids. So, I think the issue is over. This type of confusion happens a lot in the DC area. Many congressmen and senators do keep their home state as their primary residency. If they lose their residency in that state, many will no longer be eligible to run for office there.

This article gives a pretty concise and straightforward account of the issue.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05193/536563.stm

This issue has already been dealt with. There was a hearing and the officer ruled in favor of the Santorums. They withdrew their kids. So, I think the issue is over. This type of confusion happens a lot in the DC area. Many congressmen and senators do keep their home state as their primary residency. If they lose their residency in that state, many will no longer be eligible to run for office there.

Wow! She's really changed her look since then.

The article shows that the Santorums were in the wrong and using public assistance to which they were not entitled. The state lost its bid to be reimbursed because it failed to challenge the residency requirements within the 7 day period mandated by statue.

The fact that that this fell outside the "statute of limitations" doesn't mean it was moral, legal, or ethical.

Bill

I also think the issue of using state funded schools is hardly being outside the view of "the government." Just because you're at home doesn't mean you can do whatever you want, since your kids have the curriculum decided by the government. The fact is, public schools -- charter, online, magnet, or regular old neighborhood schools -- are public schools, funded by the government. Those who use an online charter school are still public school students.

The article shows that the Santorums were in the wrong and using public assistance to which they were not entitled. The state lost its bid to be reimbursed because it failed to challenge the residency requirements within the 7 day period mandated by statue.

The fact that that this fell outside the "statute of limitations" doesn't mean it was moral, legal, or ethical.

Bill

I think the residency of Senators and Congressmen should be view differently because they have to be in the Washington area. How could he have been Pennsylvania's Senator if he wasn't a resident of Pennsylvania? Don't most of them have homes in both their home state and the DC area?

I think the residency of Senators and Congressmen should be view differently because they have to be in the Washington area. How could he have been Pennsylvania's Senator if he wasn't a resident of Pennsylvania? Don't most of them have homes in both their home state and the DC area?

The Pennsylvania house was rented out (to family members). The family lived in Virginia, and so did not qualify as residents of Pennsylvania for purposes of "cyber-schooling." So they used a government benefit that they were not entitled by law to use.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that serving in Congress places strains on the families of those who serve our nation.

Bill

I agree. I would consider using it.

My fear of homeschooling being in the spotlight is that homeschoolers basically usually get left alone because it's still relatively rare and isn't on most people's radar. There are many with very negative attitudes about it. With it being at the White House people would be talking about it. That could be good, but that could be very bad.

We have never been left " completely" alone. IOW, tons of oversight, testing, and a little harassment every time a new superintendent comes in,...which is about every 2 years. It seems the school system doesn't understand their own regs...and what they can ask for and what is " compliance". They need a crash course every few years....UGH!!!!! It is annoying and many new homeschoolers get scared and back off, sending their kidlets back to public or private school.

Faithe

The Pennsylvania house was rented out (to family members). The family lived in Virginia, and so did not qualify as residents of Pennsylvania for purposes of "cyber-schooling." So they used a government benefit that they were not entitled by law to use.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that serving in Congress places strains on the families of those who serve our nation.

Bill

Oh, GAH!!!!! How many upstanding citizens use another address to get into the " better" school district?? Sheesh! I wish there WERE a better one around here......i'd be buying a second house spit spot!!

They had a house there....paid the darn taxes and put up with PA homeschool regs?? I am impressed.

Well there is that angle, but could he mean he doesn't like other aspects of public school? For example, maybe he dislikes the social aspect, or the lack of emphasis on family. School is not just about the materials they use. A kid spends a significant amount of their life in that "world" and it can have a strong influence on them in many areas.

The online schools, although public schools, are still vastly different than being in a school. The parent still has a lot of control over details other than books or assignments.

I'm not defending him because I like him (I really don't have much of an opinion about him at this point). I'm just saying it's hard to know exactly what he means with those comments.

:iagree: completely. I know nothing about this guy until now. It is not political to me to defend him.....just parent to parent.

Faithe

Oh, GAH!!!!! How many upstanding citizens use another address to get into the " better" school district?? Sheesh! I wish there WERE a better one around here......i'd be buying a second house spit spot!!

They had a house there....paid the darn taxes and put up with PA homeschool regs?? I am impressed.

Well, no. They put up with PA public school regs.

When he says (paraphrased) "Governmnet shouldn't be running schools," it just doesn't add up for me. If you feel they shouldn't, why would you partake?

Plenty of people play "fast and loose" with laws and regulations. Even elected members of Congress. Is this a good example of moral leadership? I think not.

Is it the most serious crime ever committed by an elected representative? Hardly.

I understand the temptation to "work the system," but that really doesn't excuse the act.

Bill

Well there is that angle, but could he mean he doesn't like other aspects of public school? For example, maybe he dislikes the social aspect, or the lack of emphasis on family. School is not just about the materials they use. A kid spends a significant amount of their life in that "world" and it can have a strong influence on them in many areas.

The online schools, although public schools, are still vastly different than being in a school. The parent still has a lot of control over details other than books or assignments.

I'm not defending him because I like him (I really don't have much of an opinion about him at this point). I'm just saying it's hard to know exactly what he means with those comments.

:iagree: Objection to public school isn't always a simple objection to their curriculum. I could use the exact same books as our local public school and get better results. It has to do with the environment, the one-on-one attention, the opportunity for exploration and creativity and the tailor-made-to-fit-your-kids pace.

However, I am disappointed in the Santorums for skirting the system to access education to which they shouldn't have had access. I agree that it's not THAT big of a deal, but it's still a "deal."

Plenty of people play "fast and loose" with laws and regulations. Even elected members of Congress. Is this a good example of moral leadership? I think not.

Is it the most serious crime ever committed by an elected representative? Hardly.

I understand the temptation to "work the system," but that really doesn't excuse the act.

Bill

:iagree:

Well, no. They put up with PA public school regs.

When he says (paraphrased) "Governmnet shouldn't be running schools," it just doesn't add up for me. If you feel they shouldn't, why would you partake?

Because we are all hypocrites....every one of us, when it is convenient....especially when it comes to our kids. Of course we justify etc., but we do not have the press hanging on our every move. We do what is best for our kids in the best way we can at the given moment. Sometimes those choices are very different than what we expected.

Some people are ok with public scrutiny.....some not. Some stand up well to it, some not.

I look at their decision to use a public charter school as a decision they made in the best interest of their kids at the time they made it. Probably not a great choice....maybe one I wouldn't have made....or have been able to finagle, but it was done.....I don't think it was malicious.

Faithe

Because we are all hypocrites....every one of us, when it is convenient....especially when it comes to our kids. Of course we justify etc., but we do not have the press hanging on our every move. We do what is best for our kids in the best way we can at the given moment. Sometimes those choices are very different than what we expected.

Speak for yourself. :001_huh: I haven't made ANY immoral or unethical choices in advancing our kids' academics, athletics and development.

Yeah I know, NY is a special kind of stupid with regulations...:D

But it's still doable. It's annoying, but pretty empty and superficial really. My local person is generally nice and easy to deal with, but she has given me a hard time over insanely stupid and petty things.

The people I know of who have had major problems kinda deserved them (meaning I don't think they were being singled out and picked on for no good reason).

Uh-huh. I generally like the school district people....our kids play soccer together:D. Sometimes they get uppity.....usually over some non-sense that not enough was included in a quarterly, or some sort of plan was vague, or wording was off.

I don't know anyone given a major hard time, more like a bunch of people being slightly annoyed.....lol

Some people are ok with public scrutiny.....some not. Some stand up well to it, some not.

I look at their decision to use a public charter school as a decision they made in the best interest of their kids at the time they made it. Probably not a great choice....maybe one I wouldn't have made....or have been able to finagle, but it was done.....I don't think it was malicious.

Faithe

Oh, I don't think it was malicious, either! But I'll break board rules if I write any of the analogies in my head. ;)

Frankly, I have a feeling he's completely unaware of the hypocrisy. Read whatever you will into THAT one. :D

Speak for yourself. :001_huh: I haven't made ANY immoral or unethical choices in advancing our kids' academics, athletics and development.

According to you....or someone else?? I can't see anywhere I have done anything unethical to advance my kids in any of those areas either.....BUT, just by homeschooling, some say my kids have an unfair advantage over other kids, and some would say I am putting them at a disadvantage. All the opinions aren't in yet:tongue_smilie:

I don't think she meant we all do unethical things to advance our kids. I think she meant (sorry to speak for her) we will often support an ideal, but not necessarily place our own kids into it. For example, I support public education, but I don't (and won't) send my kids to school.

Exactly.....

Yet, maybe one day I WILL send my kids to public school because our dynamics will change.....and boy will I LOOK like a hypocrite then!!

I just can't pass a judgement without putting myself into the seat.....and I know I would make educational decisions based on the best for my child at that time and to the best degree of honesty I could stick to...BUT, I could possibly make mistakes......sigh.....

Faithe

I don't think she meant we all do unethical things to advance our kids. I think she meant (sorry to speak for her) we will often support an ideal, but not necessarily place our own kids into it.

My DD is in a public arts based school, because it is the best fit for her NOW. She will not be at the local high school, I could never support that. But that doesn't mean our local high school isn't the best place for another child. Every child is different and comes with a different set of needs. I support public school as an option, just as I support homeschooling as an option. I know a few homeschooling parents who support our local CAPS events (Citizens for Atascadero Public Schools), even though their kids will never go to any of them.

Maybe his kid needed something specific out of that program. I won't fault him for that.

According to you....or someone else?? I can't see anywhere I have done anything unethical to advance my kids in any of those areas either.....BUT, just by homeschooling, some say my kids have an unfair advantage over other kids, and some would say I am putting them at a disadvantage. All the opinions aren't in yet:tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry, but you are now conflating your own, legal, decision to homeschool with taking public monies as a benefit when the family in question was not legally entitled to them. Big difference!

Bill

My DD is in a public arts based school, because it is the best fit for her NOW. She will not be at the local high school, I could never support that. But that doesn't mean our local high school isn't the best place for another child. Every child is different and comes with a different set of needs. I support public school as an option, just as I support homeschooling as an option. I know a few homeschooling parents who support our local CAPS events (Citizens for Atascadero Public Schools), even though their kids will never go to any of them.

Maybe his kid needed something specific out of that program. I won't fault him for that.

I've used a cyber charter and I have a kid in regular public school. I'm not making any judgments on that choice. But if you think it's a valid option for some students and some families at some times, you can't turn around and say they shouldn't exist!!!

The residence controversy may be over, but that doesn't erase the hypocrisy. He liked ps books and money enough to stick with it for quite a few years.

I know lots of people who use various school-at-home options to "homeschool." While it would not be my choice personally, I don't see the benefit in decrying other people's choices of how to homeschool. Some folks homeschool for social or behavioral reasons more than curriculum, and are perfectly happy to use the public school options. Some folks could not homeschool otherwise, depending on their situation. In any case, I've never understood the homeschooling version of the "mommy wars."

I also don't think being critical of a particular institution and the way it is run means one is forever barred from using those services or is hypocritical if they do. Many folks homeschool and think they should be able to use extracurricular activities at the schools (another controversial issue, I know!). I have issues with the way our medical establishment is run, but if I break my leg, I'll go to the ER.

I know this thread is already skirting the politics issue, so I won't post a link here. But Santorum is not the only candidate who supports homeschooling. If one Googles other candidates names and homeschooling, one could find other homeschooling friendly candidates as well. :D

Politics aside, I do think it would be cool to have homeschoolers in the White House, from either side of the aisle.

And one other aside- I keep seeing the quote lately that "most presidents have homeschooled their children." Does anyone know the truth of this? I'm just curious now about which presidential children were in fact homeschooled. So far Google hasn't been terribly helpful in looking for this information, but though someone here might have a link to this info. Thanks!

And one other aside- I keep seeing the quote lately that "most presidents have homeschooled their children." Does anyone know the truth of this? I'm just curious now about which presidential children were in fact homeschooled. So far Google hasn't been terribly helpful in looking for this information, but though someone here might have a link to this info. Thanks!

I bet they are thinking about Presidents during the 18th and 19th century. If you think about it, our first Presidents were self educated until they went to University. In fact, in the 20th century, we have one President who did not have a college degree (Truman).

I know lots of people who use various school-at-home options to "homeschool." While it would not be my choice personally, I don't see the benefit in decrying other people's choices of how to homeschool. Some folks homeschool for social or behavioral reasons more than curriculum, and are perfectly happy to use the public school options. Some folks could not homeschool otherwise, depending on their situation. In any case, I've never understood the homeschooling version of the "mommy wars."

I don't care that he used a public cyber charter and called it homeschooling. I care that he used public cyber charter and said that government needs to stay out of education. If the government wasn't IN education, he couldn't have made use of a public cyber charter.