Menu

Why teach MLA format?

OK...this is probably the dumbest question ever on the WTM forum. :D

I have never written anything in MLA format. Every single paper I ever wrote in college was supposed to be written in APA format. My sister in grad school right now...APA format...my husband in his grad classes...APA format...

I guess we have 3 years or so before I have to worry about this. But, why does everyone teach MLA and not APA?

:confused:

I don't really teach MLA. Instead, I show my children how to use the handbook. Dd is currently using MLA to document. However, we also have a manual that includes APA and Chicago formats. Later, I will ask her to use other formats because they have been required in college classes taken recently by family members.

Edited by 1Togo

I teach both. I can't stand MLA format, but it seems that English instructors in particular tend to like it, so I teach it. I had my son do English papers in MLA format and science papers in APA format. The format for history papers depended on my mood.

I don't particularly like it either, but I teach it because I'm told to. This is for paid grammar/writing classes.

From what I can tell, the majority of the public schools in my area use the MLA for bibliographies, but not the rest other than the traditional double space, indented first line, etc.

I teach both. I can't stand MLA format, but it seems that English instructors in particular tend to like it, so I teach it. I had my son do English papers in MLA format and science papers in APA format. The format for history papers depended on my mood.

:iagree:

I am teaching both and can't stand MLA. Thanks for the idea of using different styles for different subjects. I hadn't thought of that.

I don't think MLA vs. APA vs Chicago style matters so much as kids learning to cite w/in their writing. Switching from one to the other is no big deal (more a matter of looking up how to cite vs. "how do you write a paper that requires citing.")

I teach MLA to my kids b/c it is the format that the majority of their college classes have ended up using. But, dd has a history teacher that insists on Chicago style.....she said it was no biggie, but she hates footnoting compared to MLA.

I also teach various styles. I think the skill actually needed is following the handbook to plug info into whatever format required for the assignment.

I agree. But I also think it's find to wait until high school research papers to teach most of this.

What I'm focusing on for logic stage is citing specific references for assertions in their essays. I want them to quote from the literary work they are writing on. Usually a page number is enough for me.

The point I'm going for is to have them realize that statements are backed up with references.

When we do tackle specific styles, what is most important (to me) is that realize that there are specific forms to follow. And that following one when the other is stipulated will get them poor grades. They aren't asked to like a particular bibliographic format. They are told to use one, because that is the standard for that discipline.

I agree. But I also think it's find to wait until high school research papers to teach most of this.

What I'm focusing on for logic stage is citing specific references for assertions in their essays. I want them to quote from the literary work they are writing on. Usually a page number is enough for me.

The point I'm going for is to have them realize that statements are backed up with references.

When we do tackle specific styles, what is most important (to me) is that realize that there are specific forms to follow. And that following one when the other is stipulated will get them poor grades. They aren't asked to like a particular bibliographic format. They are told to use one, because that is the standard for that discipline.

This sounds similar to what I do. I start requiring supporting documentation/quotes in 6th/7th grade but while I show them how to cite, I do not deduct anything when the citations are not in absolute correct form. At the middle school stage I think learning how to incorporate supporting evidence is the skill that needs to the focus, not the citation.

However, by high school age, I do require citations to be correct. (though there have been a few times when I haven't even been able to figure out what is the correct citation......I've told them this is an example of why you don't wait to the last minute to finish a final copy so that when you actually have to turn it into a teacher that does know, you can go by their office during office hours and ask! ;))

I also teach various styles. I think the skill actually needed is following the handbook to plug info into whatever format required for the assignment.

I really screwed up a paper in grad school. The professor said to use Turabian something. I don't remember what the something was, but Turabian covers two different styles for cites and the bibliography. I did not use the wrong style. I had looked the Turabian info up on the web, and in my confusion I mixed the styles, using cites from one and the bibliography from the other.

The paper had some other problems also, but not following the style stood out to the prof as proof that I was being extremely careless and not working at grad student level. Luckily I got an incomplete for the class. Wrote a different paper, and the second time, bought the book for Turabain. And very carefully followed the style. That second paper would have been an A if it had been my first. Took a one letter penalty because it was not my first, but a second turned in well after the quarter was over.

Which is all to say, I agree that being able to work from a style guide can be an important skill.

In college, I felt like every professor wanted something different! It drove me nuts. So, I am planning to make sure my kids know that there are different styles and how to use a style book. I swear that when I teach high school writing, my first instruction will always be

#1. Determine what style the professor requires

The good thing is that I got a lot of expose to different styles. I have no preference and I got very comfortable moving between formats. It felt like I just plugged the info into the correct spots and handed it in.

I teach MLA to my kids b/c it is the format that the majority of their college classes have ended up using. But, dd has a history teacher that insists on Chicago style.....she said it was no biggie, but she hates footnoting compared to MLA.

I know that MLA is what they're doing now in most schools - mine are probably going to high school next year, so we've been working on it.

I don't like MLA either - I actually thought that virtually everyone had switched to it - remind me which format is the one I learned (and prefer) - the one with endnotes and Ibid and et. al. and all that? Is that Chicago or ALA or what? No one ever told me what it was called... but that's how I wrote all my high school and college papers.

I agree that learning when to cite and how to use multiple sources is probably more important than the format.

MLA, APA, and Chicago are the top three documentation styles. The chosen style used in any writing is dependent upon the college department and the professor or industry that you are in. Generally Liberal Arts disciplines lean toward MLA and science/technology more APA. Chicago is most definitely used in the Journalism department.

I recommend that a high school student chose one documentation style, based on what discipline they plan to study, to perfect and learn like the back of their hand so that it does not slow them down when churning out writing assignments. I also recommend students form an editing circle with good trustworthy students who have different strengths (i.e. make sure you have one who knows APA, MLA, one who is a good developmental editor, substantive editor, copyeditor, etc.) so that all written assignments are edited at least by two other people before submission. This way if they get the odd professor who switches documentation style up on them someone else in the circle can help.

I will be the first to admit I am a horrible copyeditor (because of my issues with commas, lol) and know nothing of Chicago style but I am the first to be called for developmental and substantive edits from everyone I know. I know exactly who to call when I need a proof or a quick help with APA. This has been my savings grace through a bachelor and two master degrees. I recommend it highly for everyone. My son is getting used to this with me hammering to the ground nothing is submitted for a final grade without at least three edits from at least two different people. For the upcoming 11th grade year I will have him form his own circle with other students or by joining a writing association.

In college, I felt like every professor wanted something different! It drove me nuts. So, I am planning to make sure my kids know that there are different styles and how to use a style book. I swear that when I teach high school writing, my first instruction will always be

#1. Determine what style the professor requires

Yep! This thread has really jogged my memory. At the beginning of the semester, some of our professors would give a mini-class on APA format.

Someone mentioned APA for science classes...I have a Bachelor of Science. That might be why we always used APA. I couldn't figure out who uses MLA and what purpose it serves :tongue_smilie:.

Edited to say: I also didn't know that Chicago was used for journalism.

Edited by starrbuck12

I recommend that a high school student chose one documentation style, based on what discipline they plan to study, to perfect and learn like the back of their hand so that it does not slow them down when churning out writing assignments.

This sounds like a great plan to me!

Originally Posted by jibaker103

I recommend that a high school student chose one documentation style, based on what discipline they plan to study, to perfect and learn like the back of their hand so that it does not slow them down when churning out writing assignments.

This sounds like a great plan to me!

I learned the hard way by not knowing any style very well, which was a major disaster and caused a great deal of heartache! I now strongly encourage everyone to learn at least one.

I don't think MLA vs. APA vs Chicago style matters so much as kids learning to cite w/in their writing. Switching from one to the other is no big deal (more a matter of looking up how to cite vs. "how do you write a paper that requires citing.")

Exactly (including your dd's dislike of footnoting ;))!

I realize that the OP didn't question whether citations wouldn't be used at all, but I think it is important to stress that high school students should be citing sources whenever appropriate. The format doesn't matter so much as the fact that students know how and when to cite sources and actually do so. Whatever the subject, most high school papers will require that an outside source be consulted.

Documenting sources is part of presenting a credible argument. Your own statements gain weight when you can back them up with authoritative sources.

One more thing: properly giving credit to the words of others is part of writing honorably.

ETA: I see now that the OP is speaking of the logic stage. I've worked with very few students who followed one of the standard formats for citations at that stage. As already mentioned, it is an ideal stage for students to get used to including a simple citation such as a page number.

Edited by Therese

The three styles have more in common than not. I teach MLA, because that's what most high schools and college English classes use, but I figure they can pick up the differences in another when they need it. I teach what is mandatory in MLA, and I also teach how to adjust to a specific instructor's preference in other areas. In much the same way that learning one foreign language (and the tools it takes to learn a language) makes it easier to learn another, becoming familiar with one format makes them all easier.

As far as whether to teach it at all: I think some people aren't familiar with the fact that MLA/APA/Chicago aren't just about citations. Teaching MLA format is teaching a student to neatly and uniformly format a paper, use current language conventions, etc. They have to format their paper somehow when they give it to us, so why not just teach them standard format from the beginning? :confused: I think this is one of those areas where going off of our history from high school can really short-change dc. Things have changed a lot in high schools. Plagiarism is a huge issue, and proper citations are more important than they were when we were in school.

I really screwed up a paper in grad school. The professor said to use Turabian something. I don't remember what the something was, but Turabian covers two different styles for cites and the bibliography. I did not use the wrong style. I had looked the Turabian info up on the web, and in my confusion I mixed the styles, using cites from one and the bibliography from the other.

The paper had some other problems also, but not following the style stood out to the prof as proof that I was being extremely careless and not working at grad student level. Luckily I got an incomplete for the class. Wrote a different paper, and the second time, bought the book for Turabain. And very carefully followed the style. That second paper would have been an A if it had been my first. Took a one letter penalty because it was not my first, but a second turned in well after the quarter was over.

Which is all to say, I agree that being able to work from a style guide can be an important skill.

I did MLA in high school and undergrad work, except one psychology class that required APA. Then for my masters, they used Turabian!! Ugh, I hated it. It was not it's own style. It said things like: this is Chicago style and this is MLA, use the one your professor prefers! By tue end on my program they had changed to MLA and all the stidents, and our graduate coordinator did the happy dance!

I am teaching a research paper class next year, I am having all students get a manual with all three styles. We will look at the differences, I was doing to have them all do MLA. Now I may let them pick if they know what field they plan to enter.

I forgot to mention that professors will also have their own personal style guide on top of the documentation style that they or the school requires. Students need to learn how to be adaptable and interpret when the professor is giving permission to change something up. An example of a personal style guide is what IEW requires to show dress-ups, sentence openers, and decorations when typing up a paper. Another example is that I have a professor who will mark a paper down if we use "due to" or "due to the fact" instead she wants us to use "because of." She has a whole list of items like this that she distributes every semester in her classes and to new students entering the program.

I forgot to mention that professors will also have their own personal style guide on top of the documentation style that they or the school requires. Students need to learn how to be adaptable and interpret when the professor is giving permission to change something up. An example of a personal style guide is what IEW requires to show dress-ups, sentence openers, and decorations when typing up a paper. Another example is that I have a professor who will mark a paper down if we use "due to" or "due to the fact" instead she wants us to use "because of." She has a whole list of items like this that she distributes every semester in her classes and to new students entering the program.

When i was a student, the format used in my department was none of the most common styles - it was more like some of the older styles that are not so common anymore. But not quite.

Some of my friends who are academics have a nifty computer program that they use to type in all the information from their citations and such, and when they write it automatically formats in the style they tell it to and links to the appropriate sources.

When i was a student, the format used in my department was none of the most common styles - it was more like some of the older styles that are not so common anymore. But not quite.

Some of my friends who are academics have a nifty computer program that they use to type in all the information from their citations and such, and when they write it automatically formats in the style they tell it to and links to the appropriate sources.

I love it when technology can be used to make life simple, however, I would still know at least one documentation style really well in case you find yourself with broken software or on a computer without the nifty program for whatever reason. Even with editing circles the person you need may not be available when you need to get a paper done.