Menu

Curriculum from school districts

Can homeschoolers get curriculum from school districts? We live in WA state and I have a friend who would like to homeschool her dd for the remainder of the school year. She went to her local district and was told that she couldn't get books or curriculum from them. I have never sought curriculum from the district, but I thought we could. :confused: Does anyone know anything about this? Can she get curriculum from the district?

Thanks!

Here in PA at least we are entitled to request curriculum from the school district to use. Not that I'd want to! But yes, we are entitled to as per our home ed law:

"The school district of residence shall, at the request of the supervisor, lend to the home education program copies of the school district's planned courses, textbooks and other curriculum materials appropriate to the student's age and grade level."

I am not sure if that is the case in other states, though.

What is the school district? I am only familiar with some of the districts in the Puget Sound area. However, they all had Family Learning Centers/Resource Centers--they were all called different names. It is the homeschool/public school option. They all had curriculum that you could use and classes that you could take. You still have to go through the public school hoops, but I think your friend wouldn't mind if they are returning to public school in the Fall. The principal at the homeschool centers would also know how to get information from the local school.

Warmest regards,

I found this statement online at Washington Homeschool Organization:

"Therefore, all decisions relating to philosophy or doctrine, selection of books, teaching materials and curriculum, and methods, timing and place in the provision or evaluation of home-based instruction shall be the responsibility of the parent except for matters specifically referred to in Chapter 28A.225 RCW. "

Of course I do not know anything personally about that state. I live in Georgia and the school districts do not provide anything to homeschoolers nor do we get any kind of money or tax break.

If she can get a list of the books from her school, she can check on ebay or amazon for used textbooks. If she doesn't want to do that, have her use the scope and sequence for her child's grade level which should be located somewhere on the state's board of education website. (I think.) But honestly, the only thing she would really need to keep up with is LA and Math, if even that. There won't be anything in History, Science, Art, or Music that is a prerequisite for doing the next grade level's work.

Can homeschoolers get curriculum from school districts?

Probably not, unless she has a teacher friend or the curriculum is old and being replaced. I would suggest checking second-hand stores. Our Goodwill always has old textbooks and library books.

Honestly, though, I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the same curricula as the ps district. :confused:

Ok, I understand that, but her dd is in public school and will go back to public school in the fall. She is only hs'ing her for the duration of the school year and wanted to keep using what they were using. So, I wanted to know if that is a possibility.

That makes sense that she would want to use the same materials, in that situation. I think a meeting with the Principal would yield the best results. If she has a reason that the Principal could/would sympathize with, she might succeed in getting the materials from them. :confused::confused::confused: Maybe?

I used to work at a homeschool/public school hybrid in Washington. They had a few items they would loan out if you were under the umbrella, but it was first come/first served...but you had to work with the umbrella to get the materials.

The literature program was horrible (multiple huge books, which had to be used together/bulky classroom plans to wade through/poor literature selections). Each set had about 20 books that were supposed to go with it, but few sets were complete. They each had missing books. The missing books were the better choices, that the teachers presumably kept to use again another time. The math, science and history were just a typical science text book with no teacher guide (ie no answer key). The health program was okay, just very 'pc'. The math was very disjointed because it was an integrated program that taught in a different sequence that most schools used. But, the math program had real manipulative to go with it, which was nice, but no one wanted the curriculum. LOL

One of the major problems was that since the schools bought one teacher book for each 30 student books, there weren't enough of those to go around. Sometimes they kept one teacher book at the hybrid building, and the parents could come look at it, but you couldn't check it out. The materials that were available, were the curricula that the school district wasn't currently using (ie previous year's copies). Some were ditched because they were so bad that they were just about useless (like the literature program). Other programs had missing components like the language CD for the Spanish program. Workbooks were not available for the spelling program, just the student books. Which pretty much resulted in getting answers to a workbook you didn't have and a spelling list. LOL On the rare occasion a workbook was available, you couldn't write in it, just look at it.

I saw parents work hard to use the school district materials, but I think it took more effort that using something like Ambleside or another free curriculum on line.

Most schools don't loan out the current materials because they are using them themselves. It isn't like they have an extra 100 copies of text books and teacher's books laying around for give away.

If she wants to finish the year at they same place as the public schools, she may be able to go into a school and photocopy or write down the table of contents page. That will give her an idea of what to cover. I have bought public school materials on line before. There was a wonderful, younger math program that we got a sample of one time. I bought the math program and used it for a couple of years. We really, really liked it. It was workbook based, so I imagine it was too expensive for the school districts to buy/replace all the time but I loved the portability of it. (I don't remember the name of it now..in case anyone is thinking of asking LOL)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Another question - how would she go about obtaining credit for the classes she home schools her dd for during this time period?

We do homeschool diplomas so I have no idea how to maintain credits for a state issued diploma. :confused:

For highschool?

(some private schools do 'diplomas' for other grades too)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

If she has a specific circumstance that she's trying to work through and knows she will re-enroll next fall, then I'd recommend she communicate with the school directly and see if they can work something out. Alternatively, if $ isn't an issue, she can simply purchase the textbooks through the textbook vendor or a third party source. Most books are pretty costly though.

Money is a huge issue. ::sigh:: The teen in question is 16, a sophomore. She spent 5 weeks in rehab and doesn't want to return to her high school. She has already lost quite a bit of time. So, her mom wanted to homeschool her for the rest of the year because they might be moving this summer anyway. But they are concerned about how she would get credit for her work toward her high school diploma.

Anyway, that is why I was trying to find out about using the school's curriculum. I don't use it and I don't aim for state diplomas, so I can't help her much. I just don't know how it works.

Honestly, in WA, in that situation I would suggest they enroll in WAVA or one of the other parent partnerships. She can technically continue to be a public school student and just do her learning at home (or some of them have class sites) using public resources. And that way if they move or not it is not such a big deal. Would the move be within WA or to another state? Different states have different requirements for high school graduation, so even if it were ALL classes at a brick and mortar public school in both places there might be some issues, throwing homeschooling or ALE into it just adds another level of complication, but nothing too difficult.

Does the girl's school offer Independent Study? I'm not really sure, but I think kids in the program are assigned weekly schoolwork, and then they go into school once a week to get help, turn in their work, and get the following week's assignments.

We are in CA, it may be called something different in WA.

Honestly, in WA, in that situation I would suggest they enroll in WAVA or one of the other parent partnerships. She can technically continue to be a public school student and just do her learning at home (or some of them have class sites) using public resources. And that way if they move or not it is not such a big deal. Would the move be within WA or to another state? Different states have different requirements for high school graduation, so even if it were ALL classes at a brick and mortar public school in both places there might be some issues, throwing homeschooling or ALE into it just adds another level of complication, but nothing too difficult.

There are a few options.

1. See if there is an public alternative school in her district. If there is, I would call and talk to a counselor about the options within the district. Alternative schools are great resources for recovering credits lost as well as moving forward. They also are good about knowing what the minimums are for credits, not just the ideals. For kids in her situation, this is where I would start.

2. I know some districts have a person, within the public school, that is responsible to 'accredit' homeschool classes for diplomas. It is not an easy process, but is doable. It will require the parent to submit the curriculum for each credit for prior approval, keep meticulous record, submit a portfolio/work samples, and to jump through the school's hoops.

3. Go through WAVA (Washington Virtual Academy). They provide all materials and are free. It is computer based learning so some kids don't like it, it requires a good bit of parent supervision, but is all set up ahead of time, so it is fairly easy to manage. The parent doesn't have to be as creative as if they try to go it alone with the school district.

4. Go through CVA (Columbia Virtual Academy) if they are in one of the school districts that they work with. They require a good bit of documentation, but the parent has more freedom of choice of materials that WAVA.

5. Go through a homeschool/public school hybrid program. Many areas have them. Call the local school district office to see if they have one or if there is one in a nearby district.

The credit for courses taken also depends on the district. Mine has a specific disclaimer that they are not required to give credit for any courses done at home.

She really needs to be working with her local high school guidance counselor. There should be some kind of alternative program within the district she can go through for credits that can be mostly done at home while checking in with a teacher a couple of times a week. She is in a different situation than most homeschoolers since she needs approved credits for graduation.

Ok, I understand that, but her dd is in public school and will go back to public school in the fall. She is only hs'ing her for the duration of the school year and wanted to keep using what they were using. So, I wanted to know if that is a possibility.

Well, the way she could find out is by going down to the school office and talking to the principal.

Money is a huge issue. ::sigh:: The teen in question is 16, a sophomore. She spent 5 weeks in rehab and doesn't want to return to her high school. She has already lost quite a bit of time. So, her mom wanted to homeschool her for the rest of the year because they might be moving this summer anyway. But they are concerned about how she would get credit for her work toward her high school diploma.

Anyway, that is why I was trying to find out about using the school's curriculum. I don't use it and I don't aim for state diplomas, so I can't help her much. I just don't know how it works.

In her case, she's probably going to do better working with the school/district and seeing about getting home instruction through the district because of medical issues. The district can send a teacher out (usually once a week) to assign materials and supervise. That's probably the best way to get credit -- transferring in and out of homeschool at the high school level is at best a pain, and often, the hoops/red tape are so numerous, it's impossible.

She did go in and talk with the principal. To say he wasn't helpful would be a vast understatement. :glare: Once the words "home" and "school" came up the conversation was rather abruptly over. It is a tiny school district - one high school, no AI. And going to a school district for any information regarding any issue with homeschooling is generally a "fail." The folks there don't know the laws and don't care to. It isn't their problem. And I understand that. So I asked here, where people tend to know about what they are speaking! ;) Schools are notorious for saying they can't or won't do XYZ until they are shown that they actually have to do XYZ.

CVA, WAVA, etc., are closed to high school enrollment.

I did find an online high school that isn't K12 or whatever so I sent her that link. I also told her to ask about independent study. I didn't really encourage her to pursue high school credit with her hs'ing as it can be quite arbitrary and there are no guarantees. The more I research, the more I think hs'ing is NOT a good idea for them. I'm not sure where the answer lies, but hs'ing for a few months seems like it will create more problems than solve. ::sigh::

I know her dd wants to do online but that is simply not an option (through the state academies) at this point. The one private one I found might still be an option but I have no idea how much it costs or if it is even feasible.

It would be a total Hollywood production, but it seems like the best option is going to be to enroll her in a neighboring district high school.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I am in Washington state. Here there is a Resource Center you can check books out of and if you are registered, they will buy you about $200 worth of books you request per term so long as it is non-consumable and can be checked into the library when you are finished with it. In the alternative, you can go through the resource center and register for K-12. All of the districts around here the homeschooling resource center but I don't know about the peninsula or Eastern WA, just I-5 corridor.

She did go in and talk with the principal. To say he wasn't helpful would be a vast understatement. :glare: Once the words "home" and "school" came up the conversation was rather abruptly over. It is a tiny school district - one high school, no AI. And going to a school district for any information regarding any issue with homeschooling is generally a "fail." The folks there don't know the laws and don't care to. It isn't their problem. And I understand that. So I asked here, where people tend to know about what they are speaking! ;) Schools are notorious for saying they can't or won't do XYZ until they are shown that they actually have to do XYZ.

CVA, WAVA, etc., are closed to high school enrollment.

I did find an online high school that isn't K12 or whatever so I sent her that link. I also told her to ask about independent study. I didn't really encourage her to pursue high school credit with her hs'ing as it can be quite arbitrary and there are no guarantees. The more I research, the more I think hs'ing is NOT a good idea for them. I'm not sure where the answer lies, but hs'ing for a few months seems like it will create more problems than solve. ::sigh::

I know her dd wants to do online but that is simply not an option (through the state academies) at this point. The one private one I found might still be an option but I have no idea how much it costs or if it is even feasible.

It would be a total Hollywood production, but it seems like the best option is going to be to enroll her in a neighboring district high school.

What about Running Start? She can test at the Community College and then register mainly for online classes. If she is near Eastern WA University or Central WA University she can take Running Start there instead of a community college. State covers tuition and fees and there is a scholarship fund for books. http://www.invested.org/staff.aspx

Edited by kijipt

I agree. I am in Washington state. Here there is a Resource Center you can check books out of and if you are registered, they will buy you about $200 worth of books you request per term so long as it is non-consumable and can be checked into the library when you are finished with it. In the alternative, you can go through the resource center and register for K-12. All of the districts around here the homeschooling resource center but I don't know about the peninsula or Eastern WA, just I-5 corridor.

I've never heard of this. I will look into it. Thank you. :)

What about Running Start? She can test at the Community College and then register mainly for online classes. If she is near Eastern WA University or Central WA University she can take Running Start there instead of a community college. State covers tuition and fees and there is a scholarship fund for books. http://www.invested.org/staff.aspx

We talked about Running Start, but her dd is still a sophomore. She isn't eligible until fall and we need something for right now, kwim?

I've never heard of this. I will look into it. Thank you. :)

I do think there is a January deadline for the year. We just started in January for the first time (my son is taking science, sewing and art at the center and doing the rest of it at home). However, given the unique circumstances for this student (rehab) maybe they could make an exception. Is there is school social worker involved or someone you can contact?

ETA: it is called Homeschool Resource Center and I know that there is one in a lot of districts.

Edited by kijipt