Menu

s/o coconut oil for the brain

I appreciate the OP who posted links last week. I had forgotten that I wanted to use it consistently and see what would happen to my brain fog/brain dullness and memory issues.

I cannot believe how well it works for the fog! Last week I had several nights that were 4-5 of sleep hours nights. Yet, in spite of being tired, I could think the next day!

Truly amazing...now we'll see if the memory gets better. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Anyone else?

ETA: please don't quote my post. I don't want this up forever.

Do you have to take it raw or can you just cook with it?

This is my question, as well. I would like to try it with my grandmother. I was hoping to bake some banana muffins using the oil, then also spread the coconut oil on top. Would that work?

DS2 is allergic, so we don't use it in cooking at our house.

Coconut oil does well heated. It is very stable. I use it in baking and in smoothies. It can also help with losing weight. Put a tablespoon into some tea or take it straight 20 minutes before a meal. I'm not sure why it works, but it helps with the weight loss. There is a woman here who gives it to her mother who has Alzheimer disease. Her memory has improved - she has started working puzzles and playing games again.

It is yummy too, if you take a few tablespoons, mix in unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia, splash of vanilla and a little half and half. Mix really well and then spread onto parchment paper and put in the freezer. It has become my new chocolate candy!

This is my question, as well. I would like to try it with my grandmother. I was hoping to bake some banana muffins using the oil, then also spread the coconut oil on top. Would that work?

DS2 is allergic, so we don't use it in cooking at our house.

I haven't read further than your post, so excuse me if this has been answered already. ;)

Coconut oil is excellent for cooking up to 350 degrees. If you like a mild coconut flavor, extra virgin, cold-pressed would be the choice. If you don't like coconut flavor, then expeller-pressed would be the choice...flavor and aroma are removed. I make a killer cocoa/coconut/almond granola with the cold pressed oil, and agave. Super healthy and super delicious. I can't keep it in the house.

It is yummy too, if you take a few tablespoons, mix in unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia, splash of vanilla and a little half and half. Mix really well and then spread onto parchment paper and put in the freezer. It has become my new chocolate candy!

Use raw cacao powder (as much as you can handle) and it becomes a superfood! How coco can you go? :D

Do you have to take it raw or can you just cook with it?

I do both. It is wonderful to stir fry veggies in it, and I eat it stirred into oatmeal (my current fave breakfast, since I'm on mush foods only due to oral surgery).

When I can eat normally again, I'll try it in baking and homemade sweets. : )

Others asked about "dosage" -- one site I read today said 3 - 3.5 tbsp daily for maintenance and 8-10 if one is using it to ameliorate a disease. I also read that it takes 4 hours for the liver to convert it so that the ketones enter the bloodstream, so one might want to use a larger portion early in the morning and them smaller split amounts during the day. The nice thing is that there are other nourishing supplements (CoQ10 and astaxanthin) that need to be taken with fats, so this is great to do at breakfast!

I found the following about heat on the Tropical Traditions website:

No, coconut oil is NOT destroyed or changed chemically in anyway from its original form by using low heat. Unlike other plant oils, the medium chain fatty acids are very resistant to any change via heat. Even commercial oils heated to a very high temperature have their medium chain fatty acids kept in tact. This makes coconut oil one of the best oils to use in cooking, because it does not break down easily.

Some have expressed concern that even low-level heat can destroy enzymes and other beneficial nutrients in coconut oil. But one needs to consider that this is a tropical oil from a tropical plant grown in a very hot climate. The oil inside an airtight coconut still growing high up on a coconut tree will already see temperatures well above 100 degrees F. during its growing season. Laboratory tests done on our Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil, for example, have shown that levels of the polyphenol antioxidants are higher than coconut oils that are produced with (supposedly) no heat - in some cases the antioxidant levels of our Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil were twice as high as oils claiming "no heat". (More info.) As to enzymes, they are present in the coconut meat but not in the oil. One would not want enzymes in the oil as it would break down the oil and cause it to go rancid. So there is no coconut oil on the market that would contain appreciable amounts of enzymes. You need to eat a coconut fresh off the tree to benefit from plant enzymes. All plant-based oils are separated from the plants they grew in, and do not contain appreciable amounts of enzymes. More info.

It is actually a myth that there are coconut oils on the market that are “live” and “see no heat.” Coconuts are native to the tropics, where temperatures are very hot. Any coconut oil distributed anywhere in North America has “seen heat.” Shipping containers used to ship the coconut oil to the US by sea from the tropics can reach temperatures of over 130 degrees F. If you have a truck deliver coconut oil to your home in the summer time by any of the major carriers, temperatures inside that truck will reach up to 125 degrees F. In the winter time coconut oil turns solid and MUST be heated in order to be repackaged into retail size containers from drums. Tropical Traditions uses large insulated containers that hold many drums and keep a steady temperature of between 90 to 100 degrees F. in the winter time to keep our stored oil liquid so it can be repackaged. It does take longer to liquefy 55 gallon drums this way (a few days) in the winter, but it more closely resembles ambient air temperatures in the tropics. Many other repackagers use electric drum bands to melt the coconut oil more quickly, and temperatures inside the drum become much hotter, closer to boiling temperatures. So any coconut oil you buy will have “seen heat.” But the good news is that coconuts are designed by our Maker to grow and thrive in hot climates, and the oil is not harmed in any way by these low-level heats.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with any company but I really like the Nutiva brand. They have their 1 gal on sale right now directly from them. I'd be really sure that I pick a company that specifies exactly how the coconut oil is processed before I buy.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Recipe please?

Coco-Coconut Almond Granola

4 cups oats (extra-thick or old-fashioned)

1 cup almonds (I use sliced, it's less quarry-like) ;)

4 Tbsp cocoa or raw cacao powder (I'm currently at 2T cacao-working my way up to 100% cacao, for nutritional punch)

1/3 cup raw sugar (can substitute with packed brown sugar)

1/2 tsp sea salt *corrected from 1tsp

1 tsp cinnamon (very subtle background flavor, not obvious at all)

1/2 cup extra-virgin cold pressed coconut oil

1/2 cup agave

1 1/2 cup coconut (shredded or shaved) add the last 10 minutes of baking.

*(3/4 cup for each pan)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Melt coconut oil in small saucepan over low heat, then add agave and mix well. Pour over dry ingredients and toss until completely mixed. Spread mix onto 2 walled cookie/baking sheets.

Stir every 10 minutes, alternating baking sheets on racks each time...for a total of 45-50 minutes (or less, depending on your oven) Remember to add *coconut the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool on wax paper or paper towels until completely cooled. Place in airtight container. Recipe can be doubled.

Enjoy!

Geo

added: This granola is loose, and not chunky like some granolas...and not too sweet. Easier eating for young & old. :)

*RECIPE CORRECTION add 1/2 tsp salt instead of the 1 tsp originally listed.

Edited by Geo
description/ recipe correction

4 Tbsp cocoa or raw cacao powder (I'm currently at 2T cacao-working my way up to 100% cacao, for nutritional punch)

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup agave

*(3/4 cup for each pan)

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Melt coconut oil in small saucepan over low heat, then add agave and mix well. Pour over dry ingredients and toss until completely mixed. Spread mix onto 2 walled cookie/baking sheets.

Stir every 10 minutes, alternating baking sheets on racks each time...for a total of 45-50 minutes (or less, depending on your oven) Remember to add *coconut the last 10 minutes of baking. Cool on wax paper or paper towels until completely cooled. Place in airtight container. Recipe can be doubled.

Enjoy!

Geo

P

Thank you so much! This sounds very good. I'll omit the shredded coconut because my kids balk at the texture but otherwise I expect it will go over very well.

Thanks again.

You might want to reconsider the agave. It is an extremely un-natural product that is very high in fructose. The following link has an easily understandable explanation. (Some days I just don't feel like wading through something technical...)

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup agave

*(3/4 cup for each pan)

Enjoy!

Geo

added: This granola is loose, and not chunky like some granolas. Easier eating for young & old. :)

You might want to reconsider the agave. It is an extremely un-natural product that is very high in fructose. The following link has an easily understandable explanation. (Some days I just don't feel like wading through something technical...)

Is agave a liquid? I have seen it in the health food store as a liquid I think. I wonder if maple syrup could be substituted for agave.

I use the granola recipe from Feeding the Whole Family and it calls for maple syrup. I use coconut oil instead of vegetable or canola oil in that recipe and it is really good.

Is agave a liquid? I have seen it in the health food store as a liquid I think. I wonder if maple syrup could be substituted for agave.

I use the granola recipe from Feeding the Whole Family and it calls for maple syrup. I use coconut oil instead of vegetable or canola oil in that recipe and it is really good.

I would think so. I keep meaning to do some research to see what the composition (fructose/glucose) of honey is. We always sweetend homemade granola with honey when I was growing up.

There's been alot of hype and fear-mongering about agave in general...which can be traced back to Dr. Mercola and the W.A. Price Foundation. Both have twisted the facts on agave. I will post back with some responses (via links) to those accusations.

Edited by Geo

We're waiting for our shipment of coconut oil after last week's discussion :D. I'll be using it at home, but I really wanted to try giving it to my mom (dementia).

I've been doing some research, while I wait, and found this interesting article from the NY Times last year:

Once a Villain, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World

...and linked within that article, a recipe for Magic Shell :w00t:!

7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped

2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil.

Melt the chocolate in a small metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir in the coconut oil and heat until dissolved, about 1 minute. Keep the liquid lukewarm until ready to pour over the ice cream. Chocolate will harden into a shell within a few seconds when spooned over ice cream.

Yield: 3/4 cup (good for 4 to 6 scoops).

After last weeks link I started putting it in dh's morning green smoothie. He says he definitely notices a difference. Lack of sleep-he still has mental clarity. Towards the afternoon when he would sometimes feel the fog he is still clear. He did have one day over the weekend when he felt a little foggy but it was nowhere near what he usually feels.

I usually throw a heaping tablespoon into his smoothie.

There have been some wild claims...er,...shall I say misinformation...spread against agave with little true facts to back them up. Of course, quantity/quality consumed should be a major consideration with any sweetener...and that includes honey and maple syrup as well.

BTW, after extolling the virtues of raw honey, Dr.Mercola advises to consume no more than a teaspoon of honey per day:

http://products.mercola.com/honey/

Responses to agave warnings:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/agave-nectar/

http://www.braintoniq.com/is-agave-bad-for-you-fallacy.php Logic-lovers should really enjoy this one!

http://blog.xagave.com/xagave-response-to-dr-mercola/

http://www.volcanicnectar.com/agavefaq.html

We americans have been conditioned (socially) to believe bad reports. I mean, Hey, if it's bad...it must be true, eh?

I'm not inviting a debate, just sharing information that some may not be aware of.

Edited by Geo

We're waiting for our shipment of coconut oil after last week's discussion :D. I'll be using it at home, but I really wanted to try giving it to my mom (dementia).

I've been doing some research, while I wait, and found this interesting article from the NY Times last year:

I'm going to surprise my dh with this. He's asked me to buy this so many times, but I always manage to "forget".:sneaky2:

I love coconut oil. I switched over from vegetable oil to coconut oil sometime last year. I mostly use it for cooking and baking though. I have never heard of this fog relief either? A cure for mommy brain sounds fantastic. I may have to start taking a tablespoon or two in the mornings and see how it goes.

Anyone else use it as a lotion? Its been so dry lately and the coconut oil feels fantastic on my hands while I am cooking.

(This is my first post. Excited to join the community. :001_smile:)

:w00t:

So according to the NYT article you should only have 10% of your calories from coconut oil (or any kind of oil). So at 2000 calories per day that is 200 and 1 tablespoon is 120 calories, you should not have more than 1 1/2 T per day (all oils). That seems like you'd have to spread that fairly thin.

This relly does shock me. Could it be anything else?

For heartburm I would try apple cider vinegar in water. Google it. I cured dds GERD.

I don't think it could be anything else. I had it 2 days in a row, in between meals. It was 1/2 Tbs coconut oil melted with a few carob chips, which don't bother me. What developed was reflux more than heartburn. It could be the huge hit of fat, which triggers reflux.

I tried apple cider vinegar a few years ago. It made me much worse. It turns out vinegar is another trigger for me. :tongue_smilie:

So according to the NYT article you should only have 10% of your calories from coconut oil (or any kind of oil). So at 2000 calories per day that is 200 and 1 tablespoon is 120 calories, you should not have more than 1 1/2 T per day (all oils). That seems like you'd have to spread that fairly thin.

The new federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that no more than 10 percent of total dietary calories a day come from saturated fat. For a 2,000-calorie diet, that’s about 20 grams.

I wonder what that number is based on. Since most people were wrong about how saturated fats are processed in the body one has to wonder if they understand it now. As the article mentions earlier not all saturated fats are created equal.

Just wanted to share a quick update on my mom!

We started giving her about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on Saturday. One tablespoon in the morning and one in her evening meal. My dad, who is always skeptical, and not very excitable, is notably EXCITED! She's had 2 nights of better sleep (not as much night wandering) and she asked him a question about something on TV. She has not been engaged with what's on TV for a year! She was actually able to follow the show and asked a question!! Her Lewy Body tremors (like Parkinson's) were decreased to the point that my dad was able to delay her Sinemet dose.

Folks, there is something to the coconut oil. We have seen nothing but decline for over a year. We will take whatever improvement we can get!

We started giving her about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on Saturday. One tablespoon in the morning and one in her evening meal. My dad, who is always skeptical, and not very excitable, is notably EXCITED! She's had 2 nights of better sleep (not as much night wandering) and she asked him a question about something on TV. She has not been engaged with what's on TV for a year! She was actually able to follow the show and asked a question!! Her Lewy Body tremors (like Parkinson's) were decreased to the point that my dad was able to delay her Sinemet dose.

Folks, there is something to the coconut oil. We have seen nothing but decline for over a year. We will take whatever improvement we can get!

Oh Sparrow! I'm so thrilled for you! I'm going to take some coconut oil to a young family in which the dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's three or four years ago. I don't know if it will help as much, but there was a mention of it helping with a plethora of brain-affecting diseases. I'm hopeful!

Val

That is wonderful news.

I don't think it could be anything else. I had it 2 days in a row, in between meals. It was 1/2 Tbs coconut oil melted with a few carob chips, which don't bother me. What developed was reflux more than heartburn. It could be the huge hit of fat, which triggers reflux.

I tried apple cider vinegar a few years ago. It made me much worse. Last year, my GI doc diagnosed reflux damage when she was looking for celiac. I have to admit that the prescriptions she gave me made a HUGE difference! It turns out vinegar is another trigger for me. :tongue_smilie:

Is it refined or unrefined coconut oil? Refined gives me horrible ulcer feelings. But my Nutiva unrefined is fine.

That is so wonderful!

After reading this thread, I started using CO a couple of weeks ago. I could tell a difference right away. For years, I've had problems with my mind racing, sometimes causing anxiety. A friend of mine takes Klonopin to "shut down" that sort of thing, but I really don't want to take a drug. I was also diagnosed, a month ago with systemic yeast (CO is supposed to help fight fungal infections as well.) I am convinced that CO has made all the difference in the world for me. My mind is clear, I feel "grounded", I'm sleeping well most nights and hardly any anxiety (now that doesn't count if I'm in a highly stressful situation. Had to do something with the inlaws weekend before last and I'm not sure anything could have reduced the anxiety I felt. LOL)

I started giving it to the kids, as well. The biggest improvement has been my 8 year old. He has always been super small, frail, wouldn't eat anything but carbs and sugar (like he would go until he passed out without eating :001_huh:) I've had them on the CO for just a few days less than I've been on it. He is eating us out of house and home! He has taken to eating tuna (wouldn't have come near it before), several fruits he never would have tried, eggs, whole grain waffles, scarfing down sandwiches and raw veggies. He even ate almonds! We are seeing a huge difference in his weight :hurray: I hope (knock on wood) that this is the "new" him. He is also much less "silly" and seems slightly better able to act his age and focus. I'm adding fish oil and a probiotic to the kids regular line up of fiber and multi vitamins...... I was starting to wonder if we were going to avoid medicine for my boys....this has given me hope that we CAN help them with supplements and diet. I really think his mind raced somewhat like mine, or maybe more, I fully credit the coconut oil for being the biggest benefit to him.

I typically just put mine in my morning smoothie and/or in hot tea. The older kids take it in hot tea, for all of them I spread it on their waffles or toast, I scramble the eggs in it. I tried mixing it in to yogurt today, that was a semi-bust. ODS scarfed his so it was still liquidy, but the younger two left the yogurt until the end of lunch and it had started to solidify. DD had a mild stroke about it (what IS that?) and then YDS, who hadn't noticed it yet, picked through his and spazzed :tongue_smilie:Clearly, you need to eat it RIGHT AWAY if you melt it down and mix it in something.

I need more ideas on how to get Dh (who is recovering from brain surgery) and the kids to eat coconut oil. He doesn't care for coconut flavor, so I bought some of the cold-pressed kind, though we haven't tried it yet. He doesn't drink hot drinks. At most, I could use a little to fry his usual scrambled egg, though I'm not sure if I could even get a whole tablespoon in there. I'm not sure I could get him to eat it on toast (with butter) though I'll try... :bigear: