Menu

Did you start MCT before 3rd grade?

Runningmom80

Yes, 2nd semester of 2nd grade with DD at the "town" level. She absolutely could've started "Island" in 1st but I was anti-MCT at the time after a very underwhelming preview of a friend's copy of the 3 grammar books (Grammar Island/Grammar Town/Grammar Voyage) without any of the other components.

DS started Building Language this year in "transition". I'm planning to start him on Grammar Island/Practice Island/Sentence Island next fall for 1st. He could do the grammar portion now but I'm not convinced he has the writing skills yet for SI.

We're using it now afterschool. DD is in grade 2 and doing just fine with it. I do think the poetry book is a little challenging for her, some of the terms are not ones she's been exposed to before.

We're also doing MCT's new literature unit which she really enjoys. We love the quote "quizzes".

We started Island on my son's 7th birthday (they were among his birthday gifts) and they were a huge hit. He blazed through Island more quickly than I expected, but made huge strides in his understanding and enjoyed the process.

I will say that the writing exercises were advanced of his abilities and we largely by-passed those for the time being. Likewise, the poetics book is very advanced when it comes to formal aspects like "meter." We read them for "exposure" not mastery. I don't expect a 7 year old to be able to identify dactylic hexameter when he sees it, but MCT plans seeds of understanding.

The grammar and vocabulary portions were perfectly "on level" for my son, and I'm glad we started MCT while there was still a window for these to be "fun" subjects, even if some portions were/are advanced, rather than waiting. In some ways the poetics books are arguably High School or even University level in terms of what they cover (even if the MCT approach is gentle), so one has to weigh the balances of challenge vs ease when determining when to start.

We moved onto Town at 7.5 (at Christmas) because my son did not want to stop his forward progress. So far, so good.

Bill

We started Island in 1st with a ds who reads very well. We are loving it. I have also used Voyage with my older dd and it is more difficult and the subject matter is more mature. So, if you want to move straight though the levels a year at a time, don't start until later.

In some ways the poetics books are arguably High School or even University level in terms of what they cover (even if the MCT approach is gentle), so one has to weigh the balances of challenge vs ease when determining when to start.

Bill

This raises the question (and panic for me) as to what we are going to find in upper level poetry books. :001_smile:

The same experience here. We started MCT at 6. Grammar was a breeze. Vocab book is really easy since it's an intro to language (CE looks great, but a huge step up from the Island level). We didn't do writing since I didn't think my son could handle it. Now (he is almost seven) I am seeing 10 sentence stories coming home from PS and being written at home I am very impressed how well (relatively speaking for a 6 year old) written they are, so I decided to tackle the writing portion this summer. I want to complete a level before moving on to the next one. I use poetry book as just an intellectually challenging and fulfilling reading exercise. I don't expect him to remember or identify much at this point.

So yes, you can do it for kids younger than 3rd grade, but probably not all components to their fullest. Having said that I know at least one child IRL (not mine) who can handle beyond an Island level and he is still 6, so it depends.

You also may be surprised. I deliberately did the books out of order, waiting until last to do Sentence Island because of the writing, and by the time we got to it, DD's writing had improved, both in quantity and quality, enough that she could handle it. I really doubt that she would have made that jump had it NOT been for MCT-it took the support and demonstrations and playing with language that the other books encouraged to give her the confidence to try. I wouldn't have expected her to go from single sentence or two narrations to multiple-page long stories in under a year, but she did.

Her handwriting also improved a lot in a short time-so I think she was also developmentally READY to write more at right around 6 1/2-7.

We did take it slow-I've seen a lot of people say that they've done MCT over 6 months or so. We've spent a full year on it, starting Grammar Island last Spring, and towards the end of Sentence island now. We take about a week on a single section, and really pull it out, acting out the characters, writing dialogues for them, making worksheets for Mud the Fish to practice, and really pulling a lot out of it. We've read a lot of poetry, and continued the poetics, and she's written a lot of poetry. We went through our Spanish and Latin books and really looked at stems and roots. While my DD normally doesn't want repetition, with MCT she really wants to savor and enjoy and play with it, and that's fine with me.

I bought Island for DS9's third grade year and DD (in first grade) wanted to do it too. She loves it more than DS and has thrived with it. In my opinion, the child's personality is most likely the biggest indicator of whether or not they will enjoy MCTLA. DS9 likes it very much, and finds it humorous. He's just not head-over-heels in love with it like DD is. I actually do a little ViE with him on the side and he is happy with that too. Still, two birds and all that... :tongue_smilie:

You also may be surprised.

...demonstrations and playing with language

:iagree: The writing assignments are playfully perfect for my dramatic/artistic DD. :lol:

Yes, we started it this year (second grade). The grammar part was total review for dd (she seems to have a knack for grammar and we had covered all of this content last year), and she hated reading through that book. The rest of it is going okay, but I'm not loving it as much as I thought I would. Dd doesn't love it or hate it. I am considering using most of the next set, but using something else for grammar (perhaps KISS).

We started earlier this year. Dd will be 7 in two weeks. She raced through Grammar and Sentence Island and we're working through Sentence Island as a supplement. We have a lot of things we are trying to fit in a loop and it gets skipped a lot. I'm planning on focusing more on reviewing Sentence Island, completing Practice Island and the other books after we finish FLL3. I don't think the concepts are too challenging and dd reads the books for fun and enjoys them but there are only so many hours in a day. I do think the four-level analysis concept was beneficial in helping dd understand sentce structure but she loves diagramming sentences in FLL so we won't stop that anytime soon.

Dd9 did Island when she was 8, 2nd grade.

This year she is doing Town, age 9, 3rd grade.

She desperately wanted to do Town this year, so I relented, lol.

She is doing beautifully: excellent retention of all concepts, vocab, etc; beautiful application of writing and poetry concepts; work goes quickly and is enjoyable for both of us; etc.

However, she is very gifted. I can imagine many (even most) kids her age doing these books, but I think it might take more time and effort with an "average" learner than I'd be willing to put in. I'd probably suggest starting Island when a child is easily working at 3rd grade level in LA, and Town no earlier than easily working at 4th grade level. Frankly, I wouldn't do ANY LA (beyond reading) prior to 4th grade unless a child is driven by language and eager to study it.

DD started it at age 6, and enjoyed it immensely. We have Town coming. She could have handled the text and concepts earlier, but not the writing.

Ditto. We could have finished the Island series already but we've had lots of interruptions and breaks lately and I was trying to do FLL, WWE, and MCT all at the same time. We just weren't getting to everything so I decided to hold off on Sentence Island and the second half of Practice Island until we finish FLL3 in a few months. Dd really enjoys mct and has read all the books on her own. We were just working through the exercises together.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you guys using these books in addition to FLL books? Or, along with other grammar books?

I guess I am confused by what is supplemental and what goes along well with other things.

I have a 4th grade girl who did FLL 1&2 at home with me and then I put her in a classical school where she's been doing Shirly Grammar. She likes the jingles but hates the worksheets. She reads and spells way beyond grade level but I don't know where she's at with grammar and writing skills. I know she thinks Shirley is easy and boring. We are returning to homeschooling in the fall so I am looking for curriculum ideas.

• 1 month later...
Are you guys using these books in addition to FLL books? Or, along with other grammar books?

I guess I am confused by what is supplemental and what goes along well with other things.

I actually came back to this thread to see if anyone mentionedif they used other grammar in conjunction with mct, or if mct is enough.

I actually came back to this thread to see if anyone mentionedif they used other grammar in conjunction with mct, or if mct is enough.

MCT needs to be supplemented IMHO with something for mechanics (capitalization & punctuation) because there is hardly any of that in the levels I've seen ("island" and "town"). I like the Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing series for that, because those have problems very similar to ones found on standardized tests like the Iowa and the EXPLORE.

Also, if you want to teach traditional sentence diagramming, you will need to find a supplement for that.

MCT needs to be supplemented IMHO with something for mechanics (capitalization & punctuation) because there is hardly any of that in the levels I've seen ("island" and "town"). I like the Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing series for that, because those have problems very similar to ones found on standardized tests like the Iowa and the EXPLORE.

Also, if you want to teach traditional sentence diagramming, you will need to find a supplement for that.

There is really nothing on mechanics in Island, but you do get into it some in Paragraph Town, and much more in Essay Voyage. Definitely things like capitalization rules are assumed to be known, but he does go into punctuation a lot when he discusses clauses and phrases, in Town and Voyage. I think the theory is that grammar drives usage rules in writing, so it's integrated into the writing instruction.

Yes, if you want diagramming you will need to supplement, but otherwise MCT can be a complete grammar program, IMO, as long as you supply the instruction about basic mechanics at the early levels. That is, if it works for your child at all. It's not for every kid, I can see, but mine is really thriving with it.

Having said that, I do believe we will do KISS grammar as well. I think it will go even deeper, and I like the literature that it uses. My current plan is to do KISS once a week, once we've finished Grammar Town. And then keep that up for the next x years till we're through it. I do believe that the KISS is cumulative and that the benefits will really kick in with extended use. It's easy to begin with, but it goes deep *fast*.

Edited by rroberts707

We are and it's going well. I think we actually covered a lot of it in Shurley Grammar 2, but just in a different way. My daughter likes it and it seems fun, but it doesn not seem enough for me, so we do Shurley and MCT on alternating days. We have only been doing it for about 5 weeks though, the MCT, so it's hard to tell just yet. My daughter loves the Music of the Hemispheres book and likes to write her own poems. She reads the poems in there over and over again, but I think they are every advanced, so Ive had to go over what some of the words mean. Words like exigenciees, elemental brown, fulfilling absolute decree, these are words and phrases that even I think are tough concepts to imagine clearly.

MCT is a depth-curriculum. I don't think it would be an advantage to include admonishment to "capitalize the first letter in a new sentence" in a series aimed at gifted Third Graders.

The Island level does explicitly teach children the differences between Declarative, Interogative, Exclaimitory, and Imperative sentences, and why the punctuation marks for each are appropriate. And a great deal about grammar, way of thinking about words and writing, what the conceptual basis of sentences include, how the parts of speech function, what propositional phrases are, gives a basic introduction to clauses, and has an extraordinarily deep coverage of poetry.

True, it does not include discussion of capitalizing the first word in a sentence.

Bill

My dd9 did Island in 2nd grade when she was 8. She was exactly ready for it. All components. Perfection.

She is doing Town this year as 3rd grade and again has been exactly ready for it. All components. Perfection.

She's eager to do essays, and I'll likely go ahead with her to Voyage for 4th grade.

FWIW, dd9 is very verbal and a very fluent reader and an eager writer. I would *not* encourage someone to advance a child this rapidly unless they met all those criteria. I think a child could benefit best from MCT when that particular child is most ready.

I would *not* encourage anyone to use MCT until their child is ready for all components bc I really think all components work so beautifully TOGETHER. (Exception being a preview year with the Poetry book. That is fine if you are really eager, but go ahead and use it again with all components when you are ready for them.)

I imagine that I'll have dd9 take at least a year break, maybe two years, between the Voyage level and AA1, probably holding off on AA1 until 7th or 8th grade, so we'll need to do other things for 5th-6th. WWW is much denser (and less fun) than CE, plus the Writing text moves on to MLA papers, and I rather imagine that taking more time writing essays would be at least as beneficial as moving on to MLA papers so young. Then again, I keep saying that (taking a break from MCT) b/c I keep thinking she won't be ready . . . and then she is so very ready! I'll leave all the options open, and play it by ear.

FYI, there is a good bit of punctuation in the second half of the Town writing text, and more to come in all the levels. Lots of punctuation, mechanics, and usage exercises will be coming your way!

MCT is a depth-curriculum. I don't think it would be an advantage to include admonishment to "capitalize the first letter in a new sentence" in a series aimed at gifted Third Graders....True, it does not include discussion of capitalizing the first word in a sentence.

Bill

There is WAAAAAY more to mechanics than just remembering to capitalize the first letter in a sentence and to end each sentence with a punctuation mark. Your son is presumably too young to be taking standardized tests, but it was a red flag to me when my DD scored significantly lower in the subtests covering capitalization and punctuation on the ITBS than she did on the other verbal subtests.

If a child will be taking standardized tests that include mechanics (and both the SAT and ACT do include these), then MCT will need to be supplemented IMHO.

FYI, there is a good bit of punctuation in the second half of the Town writing text, and more to come in all the levels. Lots of punctuation, mechanics, and usage exercises will be coming your way!

DD did Paragraph Town and I wouldn't say there was a "lot" of mechanics in it. There was a bit, but not remotely enough IMHO.

There is WAAAAAY more to mechanics than just remembering to capitalize the first letter in a sentence and to end each sentence with a punctuation mark. Your son is presumably too young to be taking standardized tests, but it was a red flag to me when my DD scored significantly lower in the subtests covering capitalization and punctuation on the ITBS than she did on the other verbal subtests.

If a child will be taking standardized tests that include mechanics (and both the SAT and ACT do include these), then MCT will need to be supplemented IMHO.

Sure there is, but I feel MCT thus far has done a pretty good job establishing "why" and "when" one uses punctuation and capitalization conventions.

We've finished Island and only scratched the surface of Town, but he already has a pretty good understanding of what type of sentence is being used (interrogative, declarative, exclamatory, or imperative) and knows which punctuation mark to use.

He has also gained a pretty good understanding (that will continue to be built upon in Town) of phrases and clauses. He knows when he he joins two independent clauses he can do so using a coordinating conjunction or can use a semi-colon. Not bad for a 7 year old.

Island covered the differences between common and proper nouns and basic capitalization rules.

In our case (as after-schoolers) we are in typical position of having "mechanics" covered at school. Mechanics are not what is missing from PS programs, it is the depth of Language Arts that MCT delivers.

If a homeschooler feels they need additional mechanics of the sort "Editor in Chief" or other similar programs provide, okay. If I find we need that sort of additional practice I'd do the same. I'm not arguing that work on "mechanics" might not be necessary. Maybe yes, maybe no.

I'm just seeing an amazing program that unlocks the reasoning for "why" the rules of grammar, punctuation, and capitalization rules apply. This is very different that the sort of approach I've seen in the programs that stress "mechanics" as the top concern. Might a child need both? Maybe so.

Bill

My experience is that a child who is an avid reader will usually do well on the mechanics questions on standardized tests because the correct answer "looks right" even if they cannot verbalize WHY (although I suspect that a steady diet of Junie B. Jones and other contemporary books that try to sound like the way the author believes children talk might negate that effect). That was the case when I was a PS teacher, anyway. I'm guessing that most kids who are able to truly use and appreciate MCT would be in the category where they may not be able to explain WHY a particular sentence is correct, but that it is.

Having said that, I do use various editing activities along with MCT, but that's because my DD considers taking a red pen to someone else's work in the same category as Sudoku or logic puzzles-fun. Her favorite is the Letters to the Editor page of the local newspaper. I think I got my money's worth out of Teacher File Box just from Daily Editing.

My experience is that a child who is an avid reader will usually do well on the mechanics questions on standardized tests because the correct answer "looks right" even if they cannot verbalize WHY

It is my experience that a lot of the capitalization and punctuation rules are rather arbitrary. Why are names of months capitalized but not names of seasons? Why do we use italics for some titles and quotation marks for others? If a student is not formally taught these rules, he/she could very well get them wrong on a standardized test despite being a good reader.

It is my experience that a lot of the capitalization and punctuation rules are rather arbitrary. Why are names of months capitalized but not names of seasons? Why do we use italics for some titles and quotation marks for others? If a student is not formally taught these rules, he/she could very well get them wrong on a standardized test despite being a good reader.

So why are names of months capitalized but not names of seasons? What do "mechanics" programs teach About this other than teaching it is "the convention?"

Bill

So why are names of months capitalized but not names of seasons? What do "mechanics" programs teach About this other than teaching it is "the convention?"

Bill

Warriner's just lists the rules with examples. For example, pg. 610 of my copy reads:

The name of a season is not capitalized unless it is part of a proper name.

Very arbitrary IMHO but necessary for a student to know.

Warriner's just lists the rules with examples. For example, pg. 610 of my copy reads:

Very arbitrary IMHO but necessary for a student to know.

Sure. But I have the capacity and knowledge of conventions like this one to be able to teach this to my child when it comes up in his writing. I do not need a Language Arts program that tells me what I already know, especially if it offers nothing more than "this is the way it is."

Bill

Sure. But I have the capacity and knowledge of conventions like this one to be able to teach this to my child when it comes up in his writing. I do not need a Language Arts program that tells me what I already know, especially if it offers nothing more than "this is the way it is."

Bill

Your son is in PS, so his teachers will presumably cover these types of things. However, for a HS student using MCT, the parent will need to supplement with something. It could be done "on the fly" but that risks leaving gaps.

For me personally, spending 10-15 min. twice per week on the Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing workbook is the best solution. My DD's standardized test scores for mechanics improved significantly by doing that.

Your son is in PS, so his teachers will presumably cover these types of things. However, for a HS student using MCT, the parent will need to supplement with something. It could be done "on the fly" but that risks leaving gaps.

For me personally, spending 10-15 min. twice per week on the Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing workbook is the best solution. My DD's standardized test scores for mechanics improved significantly by doing that.

I understand why you (or other parents) who use MCT might want to use Daily Paragraph Editing or Editor-in-Chief or another usage/editing/mechanics type program. I may very well want to do the same thing. I just don't see it as a failing of MCT (as a depth-curriculum) that it does not include a daily editing component anymore than I see it as a failing of Beast Academy that it doesn't include "math fact drill."

I'm glad that there are depth-curriculum out there. Most programs don't move beyond the basics, and there are plenty of options for editing and drill.

MCT also does not include "reading comprehension" exercises where a child reads a paragraph and answers multiple choice questions. You need this if you are "teaching to the test" but I don't fault MCT for not having this either.

Instead I value MCT for providing what most other program (and schools) don't. I'm sure our thinking is not far apart on this.

Bill

I understand why you (or other parents) who use MCT might want to use Daily Paragraph Editing or Editor-in-Chief or another usage/editing/mechanics type program. I may very well want to do the same thing. I just don't see it as a failing of MCT (as a depth-curriculum) that it does not include a daily editing component anymore than I see it as a failing of Beast Academy that it doesn't include "math fact drill."

Bill

The question that was posed earlier in the thread, was "does MCT need to be supplemented?" And IMHO, the answer to that question is yes. MCT covers certain grammatical concepts in admirable depth, but it has a narrower focus than the typical grammar program designed for homeschoolers.

I haven't seen the new MCT literature books yet so I have no opinion on those.

DD did Paragraph Town and I wouldn't say there was a "lot" of mechanics in it. There was a bit, but not remotely enough IMHO.

Be patient. It will come. Next year. The year after. It will come.

Town begins punctuation instruction. Later levels build on that beginning.

Be patient. It will come. Next year. The year after. It will come.

Town begins punctuation instruction. Later levels build on that beginning.

That's right. There is some in Town, and a *lot* more in Essay.

The new Enhanced/Classical CE is also a big contribution to both the depth of the overall program, and the breadth as well, in that it more explicitly links grammar, writing, poetics, and high-level reading of academic essays with the vocabulary and Latin stem study. I'm seeing a potential shift to this as the "center" of the program - it contains it all (the breadth), and the other books contain deeper coverage of the specific subject areas. I'm very impressed with this addition to the program.