Menu

Is there a trick to making good pancakes?

I don't have a griddle but I have a large flat skillet. The batter looks good. I let it rest a little after mixing it up (a few small bubbles on surface).

I heat the oil in the skillet and drop in the batter. They keep coming out burned before they turn golden or golden yet tough. :glare:

When I was younger I could not make biscuits or gravy. My mom came to visit and showed me how (the exact same thing I had been doing all along) and after that they came out great (until I moved to sea-level). I always figured she had to come teach the stove since I was still doing the same things. :lol:

Can somebody teach my stove to make pancakes?

My dad used to own a little restaurant in WI. He is such a good cook. I don't know I left home. lol

You don't want to over mix your batter. Some lumps are ok. Could your burner just be too hot?

I use bisquick and add milk, eggs and oil to the mix. Just give it a quick stir. I always add more liquid than it says.

Well, if they're getting burned, then you've probably got the heat up a touch too high on the stove. Takes some practice with each new stove to find just the right setting for cooking pancakes.

Not sure about the 'golden but tough' part. That sounds like you've got a bad recipe, maybe.

I've got an easy peasy recipe I use, and it always tastes good. I cooked them in my cast iron skillet on the stove, until I got a cast iron two burner griddle. Really, the same thing, 'cept I can make more at a time with the griddle.

Here's the recipe. Oh, and I use butter on the pan/griddle instead of oil. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Don't over mix and make sure your pan isn't too hot and don't use too much oil. (I use spray olive oil most of the time)

Drop in a bit of water and it should sizzle a bit. Medium is a good temp for most pancakes. Pour in your batter, wait for air bubbles to pop up and flip.

There are not many things I am good at in the kitchen, but pancakes I rule! :)

I use a griddle now but if I don't want to pull it out I use my big pan as well...here is how I go..

1. Heat the pan on high (about minute and a half while I'm making the pancake batter...do not overmix, mine have lots of lumps in it that bake out in the process)

2. I use a cold stick of butter and run it across the bottom of the pan or griddle just coating all the bottom of it.

3. I turn the heat from 9 to about 6-7...spoon the pancake batter in with my ladle that seems to hold the perfect size pancake...I hated pouring batter and one would run into the other one, find you a good go to spoon! :)

4. Turn the pancake over once you see bubbles in the top pop...I put a swipe of the cold stick of butter for every new batch I make...

Hope this helps!

I suffered through years of burnt pancakes, believing I just couldn't do it, until I finally hit upon the idea of using my electric (nonstick) skillet. Magic!

I set the temp to 375, wait for it to get warm enough, then pour the lightly mixed and still a little lumpy batter on. Flip when bubbles appear. Perfect. No grease to worry about, and the cleanup is just a matter of wiping the skillet once it cools.

I suffered through years of burnt pancakes, believing I just couldn't do it, until I finally hit upon the idea of using my electric (nonstick) skillet. Magic!

I set the temp to 375, wait for it to get warm enough, then pour the lightly mixed and still a little lumpy batter on. Flip when bubbles appear. Perfect. No grease to worry about, and the cleanup is just a matter of wiping the skillet once it cools.

:iagree:

I agree with those that say the toughness is caused by overmixing.

As far as the burning: a good heavy pan is very helpful, and the other thing is finding the right temperature. On my stove, that is exactly medium. I get the pan turned on just as I'm starting to mix the batter. On my electric stove it takes several minutes to get up to the right temperature. Sprinkle a drop or two of water on the skillet to test. The water should form little balls and jump around on the pan. To make sure it is not *too* hot, put a little real buttter on the hot pan. If the butter immediately browns, the pan is too hot--use a lower temperature. I use a piece of paper towel with a smear of butter to run over my nonstick skillet. Gives just the right amount of fat. Too much oil or butter on the pan makes a lacy pattern of uneven browning. After pouring the pancakes, watch for bubbles to rise to the surface, but they shouldn't pop. Turn before the edges dry out for maximum rise. My pancakes take about 90 seconds for the first side, a little less for the second.

Good luck! A perfect pancake is a work of art. It's worth spending the time to get the right pan at the right temperature.

Dry bowl - 1 1/2 c flour (I use whole white wheat.), 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (make sure this is fairly new), and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix well.

Wet bowl - 1 c milk (whole milk is best), 1 egg, 2 TB sugar, 1TB oil. Mix well

Add dry bowl to wet bowl. Mix slowly.

Heat griddle and then turn down to low (I have a gas stove.), Melt butter on the griddle. Pour on the batter. When it's all bubbly, turn.

I swear my cast iron griddle makes better pancakes. Good ingredients are #1 though.

I make pancakes at least once a week, and have for years. We had applesauce oatmeal pancakes this morning. Mmmm.

Our pancake recipe uses a dollop of sour cream mixed in with the wet ingredients. It's supposed to help the pancakes stay soft. If I am out of sour cream, I use unsweetened plain yogurt or, in a pinch, fruit yogurt and less sugar.

I agree with the pp who suggested cooking at about 375. That's the setting on my griddle that cooks the best pancakes.

Don't overmix. It took me a while to get that.

If you make blueberry pancakes, don't mix the berries into the batter. Instead, drop them individually into the pancakes as you drop them on the griddle. Less mixing in the batter, and they don't burst and turn the batter purple, lol.

Cat

I disagree about the mixing. I mix the heck out of mine, with a whisk. Never ever tough.

I cook them on a thin film of shortening, not oil.

Make the batter somewhat thick, and keep the heat low. Very low. I cook my thick batter pancakes very slowly.

I put almost no milk at all in them. Why ? The milk browns faster than everything else.

Here is my recipe. It's awesome :tongue_smilie:

2 cups flour (I use whole wheat)

1 tbsp baking powder (I use aluminum free brands)

1/4 tsp salt

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 egg is optional

1/2 cup oil (in the batter, not the pan)

2 cups of water

just a splash of milk, also optional

Stir with a whisk, and much and as often as you want. Add more water, or more flour, to adjust thickness of batter. The batter should pour, not plop, but not be runny enough to flatten out right away. The poured pancake should have some height. Let it cook slowly on low heat. Flip it when the edges are done enough to lift the whole pancake all the way around without any tears. On low heat with very little or no milk, you can even let it cook almost all the way through before flipping - it will be fine, won't burn. It takes a long time to make a batch this way. BUT they keep in a container in the fridge just fine, so they can be made in advance.

The poured pancake should have some height. Let it cook slowly on low heat. Flip it when the edges are done enough to lift the whole pancake all the way around without any tears. On low heat

Denise, this kind of makes me wish we could all invite you over to make pancakes. This sounds a lot like the consistency of my pancake batter too, but it's so hard to describe! LOL Maybe we should all make a Well-Trained Pancake YouTube video. :D

Cat

We love our pancakes here! We use Bisquick and an electric griddle.

Here's the recipe we use -from the box

2 C Bisquick mix

1 C milk

2 eggs

2 Tbsp sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

I would also agree with only turning them one time and I used to throw out the first one too!

Our other favorite breakfast is bacon waffles -yum. :tongue_smilie:

Cook up some bacon and then break it into pieces. When waffle iron is hot put a few crumbled pieces of bacon into each square. Top with batter and let it cook. This is so good!