Menu

Just plain confused

MidnightHM

Long story short, first a little background.

I am a 24 year old widow with 3 kiddos. My girls are 6 and 4 and I have a 2 year old son. We are blessed to be receiving enough in survivor benefits from social security to make it with out me working. However, I am now a full time college student, 99% online, which equals a lot of not sleeping.

We always planned on homeschooling but when Steve passed and I realized I was going to have to be in school full time for the first semester or two I enrolled my 6 year old in 1st grade and elected for full time public PreK for my 4 year old, which she is eligible for because she has a speech delay. Fast forward a bit and my 1st grader is not doing well in school at all, then her heart condition worsens and her cardiologist says to pull her out. The home-bound public school program is a bust (2 hours a week maximum) so I enroll her in Connections Academy's free public online school. The curriculum is full of busy work and is way to easy for her except in reading, which she is behind in. There is no option to change the curriculum to fit her better.

At this point I am thinking of just pulling her out and doing it myself. She can't be in public school and I am not getting what I need from Connections Academy. I am worried about the extra work load on myself being fully responsible for her school in addition to my school work and the lack of formal accountability. These are things I would normally lean on Steve for. I don't have anyone else in my life that is able/willing to help me with schooling on a regular basis and most of them disprove of homeschooling in general.

Any outside insights or just a push would be appreciated. Thank you.

First of all, I am so sorry to hear this. I don't know where you live, but I wish your kids could just come to my homeschool! :lol: Do you have any family that could help you out? I do think you can homeschool while going to school fulltime, especially with the ages of your children, but I really think that you need some support so that you don't burn yourself out. Could you do a lighter schedule while you are in school and then step things up over the summer or over school breaks with homeschooling? Really, it seems like reading needs to be the focus here and then do some daily math and handwriting. You can do it! I will definitely send some prayers up for you. God bless.

:grouphug: I am so sorry for your loss.

At that age, I would think you should be able to get her a little desk and you can both do your work together. Even if you had to pull the others out, I still think you could do it.

It's really not that hard (I've done it a few times ;)) and actually it seems a lot harder than it is. Just focus on phonics, and reading some good stories, and a 1st grade math, and that's it.

I mean, so many times you think they need 8 hours of instruction, but, frankly, they can't. They're just too young for that type of focused work, so perhaps you have three hours of focused work at first and believe me, she'll be sick of you.

Maybe Time4Learning.com? It is not free, though. I think $15-$20 a month. It has a full online, interactive, animated curriculum that teaches to the child. There are lots of reporting tools for the parent. The student has access to multi grade levels in each subject. So, she could be doing 2nd grade math, K reading, and 1st science and history. I think they have a free trial. We used this program 3-4 years ago and my DD really liked it and learned from it. It was very engaging. I dropped it because I wanted to be her primary teacher in some of the subjects and I had the time to do it. I will say that the math and language/reading/grammar sections were much better than the history and science. They may have upgraded since then.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry. I can't imagine trying to do what you are doing. You are a strong woman.

Your oldest is only 6. If you do an 1-2 hours a day that's all you need. The Ordinary Guide to Reading is great. Also Reading Reflex is wonderful but requires more set up time.

Plop her down in front of the computer and let her play Starfall. Head Sprout is great but is expensive. Head Sprout would teach her to read with very very little interaction on your part.

As for math, Right Start math is great but is parent intensive. Does she do well with workbooks? Math U See is done by watching DVDs.

At this point learning to read is the most important thing. Math can sit on the back burner for now.

Have you checked into home school groups in your area? You may find a family who can help you once you get to know people.

Also, I know people in FL whose kids attend a Christian part time school. The kids go to school on Tues and Thurs and are home Mondays, Wed, and Fri. Or maybe it's the other way around. Either way the parent does the lessons that are sent home with the student. I've heard great things about these schools if you were interested.

Stock up on protein bars for yourself!

I'd recommend sticking with the 3R's for now. It's first grade, so focus should mostly be on reading. You should be able to get the 3R's done in an hour or less. Get some library books on science and history topics for read alouds, which you can do as bedtime stories. You can also get audio books from the library and play them during meals and in the car.

:grouphug:

Do it yourself! You can do this! An hour a day of formal work is PLENTY at this age.

Do you have a printer? Progressive Phonics (free), something inexpensive for math (Houghton Mifflin math is free and easy to use), visit the library and pick out interesting books to read for science and history. Use free worksheets for handwriting (like this). For writing, make your own copywork. I really like SWB's lecture about teaching writing for the elementary years (find it at the Peace Hill Press site). I suggest downloading the lecture (it's just a few dollars) and doing what she describes. Her method is pretty simple and won't cost you anything.

If your printer is too expensive to use, try OPGTR for phonics (or a similar book) or just read Progressive Phonics from the screen. For math, make a list of things you'd like her to learn (check your state standards or the world book scope and sequence) and just teach basic math with manipulatives, pencil and paper. Plus there are a TON of free online math games for reinforcement. Another option is to buy a Math Mammoth topic book for $3 or so (I think the pdfs are interactive now, so no printing... can anyone confirm that?)

You could EASILY do this for the price of a phonics book and some printer ink. GO FOR IT! Ditch Connections!!

p.s. for printer ink, look on eBay. I find refilled cartridges for dirt cheap there. They work great. I've never had a problem with quality.

I will echo what everyone else said. You can do this, even with your own school workload. (I completed my degree online. I completely understand.) Your kids are young. Right now they need to focus on the basics. They need that solid foundation before anything else. Focus your time, energy, and financial resources on phonics and math. You do not need a big cadillac phonics program to help your kids read. Phonics Pathways is cheap and effective. Starfall.com is a great site. For math, you cannot beat CLE for cheap, thorough, and student-focused. Everything else can be found at your library. Go there often. Check out tons of books on science, history, and whatever else they want to learn about.

Good luck! I hope and pray you find something that works for your family.

Oh gosh. With a 6 year old I wouldn't worry at all. Some drugstore math workbooks and websites, jigsaw puzzles, beads, tangrams, card games, etc. will do for math. Lots of play to cement concepts and help her with patterns and sequences. No need to buy any expensive curriculum. If you do want to buy somethung Math Mammoth is one of the best and cheapest programs out there.

Other then that I echo the comments about Starfall. Also, a bit of copywork can help with all the language arts skills. Lots of reading aloud is probably the most important thing.

The early grades, IMO, are where delaying school work in favour of play or unschooling is not only not harmful but actually beneficial and preferred. Look for some John Holt books at yourlocal library.

I'd recommend sticking with the 3R's for now. It's first grade, so focus should mostly be on reading. You should be able to get the 3R's done in an hour or less.

:grouphug:

:iagree:

I would do the same. Even SWB says that history and science are optional at this age. Just call this your survival year, with lots of good family time.

I'm sorry for your loss and kudos to you for all you are doing. I also agree with just sticking with the three R's. You have been given lots of good advice on free stuff.

I am teaching two 6 YO boys first grade. We have used the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (OPGTR) very successfully (they are both now reading at a 4th grade level. It requires very little time daily and provides a script to follow. No preparation necessary at all.

After trying several different math programs, we landed on Math Mammoth. It is so easy to use and teach and the price is very reasonable. I have my two do two math pages per day and it only takes them 15 minutes or less normally.

We have used Hand Writing without Tears (HWT) for penmanship, again, very easy to use and very little time to execute.

We are also using First Language Lessons for English, which takes about 5 or 10 minutes most days and is also scripted and simple to execute. Along with that, we use Writing With Ease for copy work and narration and it is also very nice about holding a parent's hand.

All of this would probably only take an hour or less to complete when teaching just one child and the price for each is very reasonable.

I would also suggest that you institute quiet time at your house, as it will give you time to study or have a little down time for yourself and it is good for the children too. I started quiet time with my two sons when they quit napping. We started with 15 or 20 minutes and worked up to 75 minutes. We started with books and puzzles only and they each sat on a couch in separate rooms within my line of sight. They now also play with quiet toys but it is also easy to have your 6 YO use the first 15 minutes (and build on this) to read quietly to herself, when she is ready.

Edited by Lea in OK

You can do this. I'd just focus on reading and math, like the others have suggested (Progressive Phonics and Starfall are free and really good for phonics). A library trip once a week or so.

Another free complete curriculum site is Lesson Pathways. With Lesson Pathways and Head of the Class (also free) you should have everything covered for your daughter's age.

:grouphug: I was widowed with two daughters once upon a time, but mine were in public school because I hadn't ever heard of homeschool back then. I was also in college for four years, but not online because THAT wasn't really done back then either. I really wish I could have had the opportunities that you have. I especially wish I would have homeschooled my daughters from the beginning. Good luck and best wishes.

Just chiming in to echo the other recommendations to do it yourself. She can play most of the day, and you can just to math, reading and handwriting, then have the kids listen to audiobooks while they play. If I had to start over, I'd choose either MEP or Math Mammoth - MEP is free and MM is very inexpensive, but both are excellent, thorough programs. I'd get a basic handwriting workbook - we used Zaner-Bloser at that age, though I do love the handwriting curriculum by Teach Me Joy that we started using in December. For reading, there's lots of options - The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading is very popular here, though I also like Dancing Bears. Librivox has lots of classic books read by various folks. Ariel really enjoys hearing stories read by someone other than me. :tongue_smilie: To round out English, you can do Writing With Ease, the level 1 workbook, and you'll be set.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone else, just focus on the basics right now. Your children are young, try not to worry about doing everything with your dd6 right now. You've gotten a lot of great suggestions already for curriculum, I have a few more to add.

Five in a Row would be great and your little ones could get involved too.

Reading Reflex, Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading are great suggestions for phonics! I would even recommend using a workbook program like Explode the Code or Spectrum Phonics

Math Mammoth is awesome. My ds7 really likes the Developmental Math workbooks. They can be done independently and are cheap.

If you need help purchasing curriculum you can contact The Book Samaritan. Send them a list of what you need and they will do their best to supply you with curriculum.

My prayers are with you! :grouphug:

I am so sorry for all you have gone through and are going through. :grouphug:

The bloggers below have a ton of free printables for preschool and Kindergarten. They have been invaluable to us. We print with fast draft, slip them in a cheap page protector we got at the dollar store and use either dry eraser markers or dry erase crayons to cut down on cost.

http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/

http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

http://www.2teachingmommies.com/

Five in a row is very inexpensive if you have access to a library. You can get the books for free and the manuals you can find used for $15-20. I have had ISO's answered here for them.

The Dollar store has great workbooks. I've also found great workbooks at thrift stores and in the clearance section of Half Priced Book.

At that age, I would think you should be able to get her a little desk and you can both do your work together. Even if you had to pull the others out, I still think you could do it.

It's really not that hard (I've done it a few times ;)) and actually it seems a lot harder than it is. Just focus on phonics, and reading some good stories, and a 1st grade math, and that's it.

I mean, so many times you think they need 8 hours of instruction, but, frankly, they can't. They're just too young for that type of focused work, so perhaps you have three hours of focused work at first and believe me, she'll be sick of you.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: with Justamouse.

I am so sorry for your loss honey! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

and if you want to add in some additional hands on stuff that is fun and laid back, I second (or third?) Five in a Row. My oldest dd who just graduated from homeschooling last year made me promise to give her some of the FIAR books when she has her first child. It is a gentle, sit on the couch (or bed, if you are sick) with the kids and make memories.

Praying for you. God Bless.

Life can be hard, huh?

When things start getting majorly crazy--and believe me they have--I realize I NEED to start setting REALISTIC goals for myself that I can meet, and don't have to feel guilty about that.

I'm not sure what your options are about cutting back on your schooling, but you might want to explore that. Public assistance is not a crime to accept, especially with an ill child. When I start rejecting assistance I am entitled to because of my old conditioning that has taught me I don't deserve it, I have to read through the Declaration of Human Rights to get my head straight.

What happens if you let the tutor start coming again? She comes for 2 hours and the school calls your daughter educated? Then you are free to just unschool without having to report ANYTHING?

That young I would look at Memoria Press Kinder plans. Just do the phonics and math. The read alouds all can be found at a library. I have most of our MP phonics Kinder stuff I can send you free. I also have an excellent used homeschool store here where I can probably find some more of the books. Once again, at no charge to you. You would need to order a SRA 1 wkbk and a R&S Unit 1 wkbk. That is it. Pm me and let me know if that is something you might be interested in. Oh, I can send you my Kinder plans but they are really messy. New is $30, though. Like I said, pm me if that sounds like something you think might work for you.

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/K_Curriculum.html

We did the phonics and math in under an hour a day and I was doubling and tripling lessons for mine. Theya re a bit older and were ready for it.

Long story short, first a little background.

I am a 24 year old widow with 3 kiddos. My girls are 6 and 4 and I have a 2 year old son. We are blessed to be receiving enough in survivor benefits from social security to make it with out me working. However, I am now a full time college student, 99% online, which equals a lot of not sleeping.

We always planned on homeschooling but when Steve passed and I realized I was going to have to be in school full time for the first semester or two I enrolled my 6 year old in 1st grade and elected for full time public PreK for my 4 year old, which she is eligible for because she has a speech delay. Fast forward a bit and my 1st grader is not doing well in school at all, then her heart condition worsens and her cardiologist says to pull her out. The home-bound public school program is a bust (2 hours a week maximum) so I enroll her in Connections Academy's free public online school. The curriculum is full of busy work and is way to easy for her except in reading, which she is behind in. There is no option to change the curriculum to fit her better.

At this point I am thinking of just pulling her out and doing it myself. She can't be in public school and I am not getting what I need from Connections Academy. I am worried about the extra work load on myself being fully responsible for her school in addition to my school work and the lack of formal accountability. These are things I would normally lean on Steve for. I don't have anyone else in my life that is able/willing to help me with schooling on a regular basis and most of them disprove of homeschooling in general.

Any outside insights or just a push would be appreciated. Thank you.

Prays for wisdom and peace

At the ages your kids are at it would not take long to do school every day. With my 6 and 4 yr olds it takes about 2 hours. I work on just basics with the 4 yr old (recognizing numbers 10-100, counting to 100, phonics, writing) and you can see what we do for my 6 yr old in my signature (basically grammar, phonics/spelling/reading, math, history, science, bible, art, etc). I love spending the time with them and the rest of the day they're pretty much off on their own playing. It's not as much of a time committment as you might think. :)