Menu

Steel Cut Oats.... 50 pounds...

Would you buy it?  

1. 1. Would you buy it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - Always needs one!

If you could get a REALLY good price (cheaper than anything I have ever seen anywhere, for a source I have bought the steel cut oats from before) on steel cut outs, and you family LOVES steel cut oats but it came in a 50 pound bag, would you still buy it? :)

Storage isn't an issue, I have a place I can put it.

Poll coming...

I wouldn't, but that's because I'm always paranoid about weevils and buggies getting into grains. I do buy 20 pound sacks of rice, but only because we eat rice pretty much every day and I go through it pretty quick. They sell 50 pound sacks, but I never buy them for fear of bugs. I've just had to throw too many things away when I buy them in quantities that are too large.

I buy organic white flour, organic oatmeal, and organic brown rice in 50-pound bags. I store them in the basement in plastic containers. We've never once had an insect problem.

We go through these staples so fast that I can't imagine buying them in tiny containers at the supermarket.

Well I would but then again I buy rolled oats, wheat berries and brown basmati rice in 50 pounds bags on a regular basis. We actually go through 50 pounds of oatmeal in about 3 months so for me it doesn't really make sense to NOT buy 50 pound bags of it.

And I store everything but the rice in buckets with gamma lids.

Go to home depot and get a couple homer buckets ~$3 with lids $1, go on amazon and get a couple mylar bags and a couple oxygen absorbers, a couple bucks.

Pack them up, use your iron to heat-seal the bags and the food will be good for decades.

You've found honeyville grains? That's where we get our cream of wheat in 50 lb bags. You can't beat buying in REAL bulk!

I always buy 50 lbs. of oats at the time, so yes. :001_smile:

Do you mind sharing where you are getting them? We live in the same city, you know. I always buy mine at Earth Fare from their bulk section. If you buy the whole bag, it's 10% off the regular bulk bin price.

MamaT I go here http://www.grainloft.com/ and order it.

You meet up with them (usually in the Earth Fare parking lot) and you pay them there and get the stuff. I have ordered several items from them.

They have an awesome value. They are super nice people too!

The next order deadline is Feb 5th :) I am putting in an order for this month!

I get my steel cut oats from iHerb. 24 oz. 3.53 organic, 2.75 not organic

There are others in that range. There is a discount for buying 4 and 12 packs. I also get another 10-14% off and free shipping because I order other things. We eat a lot of steel cut oats, but I'm not sure its as much as others are saying.

I wouldn't, but that's because I'm always paranoid about weevils and buggies getting into grains. I do buy 20 pound sacks of rice, but only because we eat rice pretty much every day and I go through it pretty quick. They sell 50 pound sacks, but I never buy them for fear of bugs. I've just had to throw too many things away when I buy them in quantities that are too large.

With the right storage container/lid and a good source, bugs are just not a problem. I've been buying bulk grains for 10+ years, the last 2 being in a very buggy area, and I've not once had a bug issue.

With the right storage container/lid and a good source, bugs are just not a problem. I've been buying bulk grains for 10+ years, the last 2 being in a very buggy area, and I've not once had a bug issue.

If that's the case then I wouldn't have a problem buying in that size if I had the room to store it. :)